Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift F2P 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift F2P  (Read 78123 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:46 PM

Really? You mean the giant coin lock icon with a questionmark that gives you a pop up when you hover over it or click  on it that explains the process, and why in great detail, was confusing. You guys gotto be trolling me now. I don't even like rift enough to try this hard to defend it. Come on guys, this stuff is easy, and not confusing in the least.
What coin lock icon?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 01:18:54 PM

I came back to a level 50 cleric, and am attempting to play some of the storm legion content. I had good gear for my cleric when i left, tier one raid gear. I can't figure out a decent spec. The combat feels like moving through jello with my cleric.

Rogues unfortunately are the same. Freaky hybrid specs with ridiculously complex rotations to be super effective. Don't even think about queuing for a dungeon unless you are using one of the popular forum specs or the players will kick you. Got my rogue to 54, I'm not sure its worth continuing.

For Clerics, you want one of two things. The "Just Seer" which is a mix of Justicar and Druid or the  Druid Inquisitor. I liked the Inquisitor variant more. But right when things came out the Justicars with the Faeries were all the rage.

For Rogues, if you want to melee you need 4 points in Tactician for the Curative Core and 8 in Riftstalker for Boosted Recovery. I put 20 odd points in RS for the three ports with the CD reduction and then everything else in Bladedancer. Hundred Blades and Dancing Steel are two ridiculously good AoE skills on short CDs. But some people like Nightblade. For the Bladedancer thing, don't do this in an instance, but macro Keen Strike and Quick Strike together for ST. Mash that to 5 CP then finish with Dauntless Strike. For AoE Twin Strike and Compound Strike to victory. Note that all finishers, including your heal finisher proc the more damage buff. For instances, just be a full Marksman. Swift Shot -> Rapid Fire Shot or Hasted when it's on CD. Use strafe after your first finisher and then keep it on CD. It's really easy.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 01:25:37 PM

Really? You mean the giant coin lock icon with a questionmark that gives you a pop up when you hover over it or click  on it that explains the process, and why in great detail, was confusing. You guys gotto be trolling me now. I don't even like rift enough to try this hard to defend it. Come on guys, this stuff is easy, and not confusing in the least.
What coin lock icon?
You get it when you log into your account from a different computer.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 01:39:35 PM

What coin lock icon?
You get it when you log into your account from a different computer.

Also if you haven't played since before coin locks were implemented (the message I got).
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 03:19:17 PM

Is there a Bat Country on Threesprings?

If so who do I talk to for an invite? Understanding its likely a ghost town hehe.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

My highest release character was a necrolock, maybe 38 (on what is now the trial server

You can move for free (or did they lock that down for f2p)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:37 PM

I used the transfer tool today. It is still free. There is a faq on it off their main page. Basically character has to be 15 or higher. Characters under 40 have a coin limitation, and you need to have an empty mailbox.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 07:13:58 PM

Hit up Kamata when I'm on. I'm going to log on in a minute here. I usually only have time to play from 11pm to midnight Eastern. Which is why I don't mmo much :) Yardwork, dinner, housework, prepped a few pounds of beef jerky (lean round is on sale for a couple bucks a pound), shower and it's quarter after ten. And that's on a night the old lady's not around!

Numtini: it's more about the names and clearing out character space on Threesprings.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 04:22:41 AM

It was rhetorical.  Things didn't play out exactly as Pennilenko thinks they should have, so I didn't have the indicators he thinks I did.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 08:02:53 AM

It was rhetorical.  Things didn't play out exactly as Pennilenko thinks they should have, so I didn't have the indicators he thinks I did.

I'm well past over it if you are. I was just worked up because I felt like things were getting a bit too dramatized. It's not like anyone on this forum has a penchant for being dramatic when they are flustered by something...

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:01 AM

It is not quite clear to me how exactly I advance further down the Blue upgrade path... it seems to require 90k units of something... and that something seems to be to buy green diamonds?... but green diamonds cost $20 for 3K... which would seem to make the blue tier worth $600?  Quite possibly I'm adding a ten block to something and screwing up the math... but having done *some* research it is not at all clear.  On the other hand, it doesn't really bother me as I figure that playing for a bit will make a few things more clear (I hope).

I actually like how there are tons of cosmetic items to buy... and quite a few catch-me-up things as well.  I'm ok trading $5-$10 to bypass old-content grinding - I'd like to see more of that in tradeskills and other games.

Speaking of other games, GW2 is really screwing the pooch with a spectacularly bad micro-trans system... every time I log in, there's no cosmetic things to buy -- just stupid wooden sword skins or flamingo hats, plushy backpacks or whatever.  Clearly I am not the demographic.  Surprisingly, I have a lot more money to make my Norn Ranger look a bit less like Santa Claus or Fat Neo than the people who want plushy backpacks (no offense to the plushy fans here)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 10:37:42 AM

You get loyalty "units" for buying green diamonds.(not a 1 to 1 ratio) You get loyalty for spending green diamonds. You get loyalty for buying REX with real money. You get loyalty for spending REX acquired green gems. You get loyalty for buying patron time(subscription).

The most efficient way to gain loyalty is to buy diamonds from the store, then spend those diamonds on patron time. As well as spending diamonds on store purchases.

dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:46 PM

Loyalty is needlessly complex. There are three ways to get it that I know of.

First, spend currency, the little green gems you buy. You get loyalty at a 2 to 1 ratio.

Next you can "use" Rex. It essentially gives you loyalty at a 4 to 1 rate. First you get loyalty at a 2 to 1 rate when you convert it into currency and then you get the standard loyalty when you spend the currency.

Finally, you very rarely get shards and fragments of loyalty from looting anything which give small hits of loyalty when you "use" the item.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:06 PM

Don't forget the multiple currencies with all the event currencies, too. I've still got a stack of old event currency from the water invasion long ago that I guess is worthless now.

And somehow I was a patron over the weekend. The boosts are nice as there is really only about 1.5 of a content track, after the first time it gets grindy pretty fast.

I do love the souls and building classes, and the combat is great (imo). Flows nice, and my cleric spec has Logan's healing factor. Even with my one wimpy cone AE it was just more efficient to take out mobs stacked 5 high because they could barely damage me. I'm almost curious about tanking in a dungeon, though I'd need a real healer for stickier stuff and bosses, I'm sure. I only died once, when I first logged in and got steamrolled by an invasion before I could set up new souls. If my AE hit more than 5 I could probably keep scaling it up from there.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 01:16:29 PM

They have really scaled back the events and their associated currencies. It used to be every major point patch had an event and associated currency. Now, its the WoW model of yearly events and currencies that go into the currency bank. Not that there aren't a shit ton of those.

I'm curious to see how things turn out with F2P. The most recent live stream had talk of 3.0 and new souls and Magelo actually had new soul information live for a short period. I wonder what the time frame is for this new thing. Will it be an expansion like Storm Legion or will it be something available in micro format through the store.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 03:11:47 PM

I believe 3.0 would be a new expansion and this is how Rift fansites are reporting it. Storm Legion was 2.0.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 09:31:04 PM

If so who do I talk to for an invite? Understanding its likely a ghost town hehe.
Well, that was quick :p
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:29 AM

Well, that was quick :p

I just moved one character hehe. I found some real life friends on threesprings that I didn't even know that they played rift.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 03:49:48 PM

Not happy about the tradeskill passive being reset.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 06:43:48 PM

Not happy about the tradeskill passive being reset.

What happened? Who did that?

Oh nevermind, I see there is a pretty accurate log for guild activity. I take it Vashon is the character with leadership rights?

It is insane not to have that tradeskill passive. I wager the person who changed it is maxed in everything and wants quest money instead.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:51:44 PM by Pennilenko »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 08:02:08 PM

Yeah, Reborne did it. Since there are two other active people right now, would've been nice if he popped in here and asked.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:54 AM

Game still feels decent but the Storm Legion zones are ughhhhh. The zone design is actually pretty good. They're visually appealing. But holy fuck the quests are stultifying. Just awful, boring, bland quests.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 12:18:03 PM

No kidding... and levelling is slooooow. Like LOTRO slow. If this is yet another endgame-is-everything diku, I want to be level 60 yesterday, demmit!

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:51 PM

Oh man, so much slower feeling than LOTRO. So much. I got one level in some pretty hardcore playing last weekend. I wanted to die. And Instant Adventure sounds great, but it weirdly heightened how bad the leveling aspect was. It was like, okay. I'm not exploring. I'm not doing a quest. I'm not following a storyline. I'm walking in a circle killing things. Which, grinding, I know. It's a valid way to play. But it just felt weird to do while leveling, while at cap before the expansion it didn't.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:52 AM

I understand the leveling speed complaints, and I will not claim they are invalid. That said, the level speed doesn't bother me. I spent so much time with EQ1 in the early days that slow leveling speed was burned into my soul. From my perspective everything since has been lightning fast to level.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:03 AM

I'm somewhat sympathetic to that. The issue for me is less raw time spent to level and more doing really terrible quests or grinding to do it. It makes a slow leveling experience really eye-gouging.
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #61 on: June 30, 2013, 10:01:05 PM

Apologies for not checking in here before resetting the passives.
I completely forgot about the graveyard when checking to see who was active and only looked at the thread in the MMO forum.

I'm happy to reset the passives again (if someone hasn't already)
I mainly did so because they had been changed in one of the resets and I didn't notice until the guild wasn't getting tithes yet people were playing now.

With the crafting and tithe perks, what else would you like points in?

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:31 PM

I had to bail. Some real life buddies talked me into moving to the RP server with them. I cant turn down a steady group that shares my schedule.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #63 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:08 AM

The instant adventure thing seems to be pretty good for buying the 2-3 pieces of good loot sold per zone for Planarite/Sourcestones but not much else. Do you ever get actual loot for instant adventures or is it just the sourcestones?

I'm not going to complain; I bought a rare weapon, chestpiece, and an epic set of leggings with plenty of currency leftover.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 05:49:10 AM

The instant adventure thing seems to be pretty good for buying the 2-3 pieces of good loot sold per zone for Planarite/Sourcestones but not much else. Do you ever get actual loot for instant adventures or is it just the sourcestones?

I'm not going to complain; I bought a rare weapon, chestpiece, and an epic set of leggings with plenty of currency leftover.

It's basically a fast-paced, instant-gratification alternative to questing.  Sounds like you're playing it as was intended; get a few nice upgrades in light of not actually completing quests and getting standard rewards.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 01, 2013, 06:56:52 AM

I had to bail. Some real life buddies talked me into moving to the RP server with them. I cant turn down a steady group that shares my schedule.
Hmm, I prefer the RP server. Too bad most of my names are taken on there.

With the crafting and tithe perks, what else would you like points in?
The increased money can't hurt. If you're doing epic awesome stuff, I guess those are useful (I'm not). What is the tithe money even used for?

On instant adventure: it's a nice diversion. The higher currency sourcestone is nice even though I tend to have enough from zone events. Although it does tend to mean everyone not doing dungeons is wearing the planar gear.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 01, 2013, 09:05:06 AM

Game still feels decent but the Storm Legion zones are ughhhhh. The zone design is actually pretty good. They're visually appealing. But holy fuck the quests are stultifying. Just awful, boring, bland quests.

I liked the zones in Storm Legion, I even liked the storylines that the limited amount of regular quests covered. The carnage quests are what killed my enthusiasm for leveling. It's a great idea in theory: no need to read filler quest text for every "kill 14 boars" quest means that the quests that do have text can tell a better story, no need to pick up a quest before you start killing mobs means you never run into a situation where you kill 20 Nefarious Goblins on the way to another quest only to be asked to kill 14 of them again, etc.

They do a poor job of concealing what you're doing though, which is grinding, and there are *way* too many of them. The ratio felt like 4 carnage quests for every 1 regular quest. I'd finish up a quest hub and all the carnage quests for that area only to walk 20 feet towards the next quest hub and see 7 newly named mobs, each with their own carnage quests.

You can skip the carnage quests: they don't give a ton of XP and there is more than enough quest content to get to 60, but then you'd end up with an bunch of incomplete quests in your journal which would give 0 xp and no useful currency if you came back to do them later... They forced me to play Storm Legion in small bursts and I gave up somewhere around 55. It's a shame because, from what I could tell, the Storm Legion dungeon content was pretty awesome.

Edit: The F2P patch apparently reduced the kill requirements for carnage quests. I should give the game another shot.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:12:02 AM by Rokal »
Reborne
Terracotta Army

something something plays a shitload of Blood Bowl something something

Reply #67 on: July 01, 2013, 02:16:17 PM

What is the tithe money even used for?
The tithe is because from what I've seen, no one donates money to the guild but there are things that the guild can buy, like more guild bank pages.
This way any time anyone is active, we get closer to being able to buy those things.

"We apologise for the inconvenience" - God's Final Message to His Creation.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 01, 2013, 05:00:16 PM

The ratio felt like 4 carnage quests for every 1 regular quest. I'd finish up a quest hub and all the carnage quests for that area only to walk 20 feet towards the next quest hub and see 7 newly named mobs, each with their own carnage quests.

YES! This was just fucking killing me. So ugly.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 05:44:18 PM

Exactly my experience when I went back for a free weekend.  After GW2 and NWN, I'm not sure I can go back to MMO's like this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: Rift F2P  
Jump to: