Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629707 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #770 on: November 11, 2011, 04:03:13 PM

Best Buy sold my pre-order. Wasted an hour and a half of my friends time driving to the next closest one to see if they had a copy.

Bought it off Green Man Gaming for Steam. Fuck big box retailers.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #771 on: November 11, 2011, 04:05:28 PM

Out of curiosity, why weren't you just getting it from Steam to begin with?  Why bother with Best Buy?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #772 on: November 11, 2011, 04:05:46 PM

Apparently if you put your weapons and spells into Favorites you can mouse over them in the Favorite menu and bind them to a number key. Why the fuck Steam doesn't automatically include a .pdf of the manual is beyond me.
They do for some games. I would assume for this one the publisher didn't provide one.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #773 on: November 11, 2011, 04:09:06 PM

Just buy it on Steam now. It is well worth $60.

Is it worth USD $89.95? That's the steam price for Australians. Fucking hell.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:10:41 PM by Tale »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: November 11, 2011, 04:09:56 PM

The game has taken to closing by itself and I'm having trouble swapping out favorites.  
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: November 11, 2011, 04:11:54 PM

Price you pay for having a strong economy.  Trash your economy if you want cheap games from us!   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:40 PM

What a nearly perfect RPG. God... there is good in the world.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: November 11, 2011, 04:21:52 PM

Sigh.  You fucks may force me to buy this before I wait for the inevitable Christmas sale.

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #778 on: November 11, 2011, 04:51:14 PM

Price you pay for having a strong economy.  Trash your economy if you want cheap games from us!   awesome, for real

Ha. Seems like it's A$80 (US$82) in stores. Might go for a walk over the nearby hills in the sun as the leaves rustle in the wind, so that I can do the same virtually.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:35 PM

Best Buy sold my pre-order. Wasted an hour and a half of my friends time driving to the next closest one to see if they had a copy.

Please don't support Best Buy.  cry

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #780 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:08 PM

Out of curiosity, why weren't you just getting it from Steam to begin with?  Why bother with Best Buy?

With the $10 credit for pre-ordering, $5 bonus for trade in, I would have only paid $8 for the game after the existing credit I had.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #781 on: November 11, 2011, 06:31:28 PM

hadn't planned on it, but.... winter is arriving, it is cold and what could be better than hunkering down with a nice RPG and a glass of wine?

no stores had it in stock for PC, so I finally created a Steam account and joined the club :P 
Download is at 10% at over 1 mb/s... wonder how long that will last   why so serious?

Haven't played an RPG since the first Dragon Age and that brought out my inner 13 year old like no game has in ages... Hope this will be similar.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #782 on: November 11, 2011, 06:56:01 PM

I'm still waiting 2 months so they can mod this thing, but the gushing is always funny.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: November 11, 2011, 07:03:02 PM

I'm still waiting 2 months so they can mod this thing, but the gushing is always funny.  awesome, for real

Same here, pretty much. I spent about an hour tooling around with this at a friend's earlier today, and the UI alone left me completely cold. Doesn't help that I'm still not completely sold on the new magic system.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: November 11, 2011, 07:32:07 PM

Price you pay for having a strong economy.  Trash your economy if you want cheap games from us!   awesome, for real

Nothing to do with our economy, gaming prices here are just stupid. $90 if our dollar is at 50 US cents, $90 if our dollar at parity...

I wont buy it for this reason. (Plus my laptop is old. It could run Fallout 3, but I dunno about this.)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #785 on: November 11, 2011, 07:50:36 PM

Doesn't help that I'm still not completely sold on the new magic system.
I've taken to healing spells as a mostly heavy armor/axe'n'board warrior type. But I have noticed Exxon seems to have been integral to the design process, there's puddles of oil in every damned cave and ruin.

There's something pretty wicked about stunning an enemy with a shield bash and doing a power attack finishing move. The combat, it has its moments. Crafting armor seems worth it, too.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #786 on: November 11, 2011, 09:25:41 PM

Hooked my PS3 controller through USB to my PC using the motioninjoy driver.  It solves almost every issue I have with the game, if only I could get my PC upstairs and attached to the TV so I could lay on the couch.  Being able to switch between kyb/mouse and PS3 controller instantly is awesome. 
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:24 PM

I think I can one-up the aussies... it's not even available in my region, and won't be for a foreseeable period of time  awesome, for real

Bethesda made an exclusive distribution deal in Eastern Europe with Cenega, and they are sitting on their hands... for example, the FO:NV Lonesome Road DLC is still not out, even though it's been almost 2 months. Due to the publishing deal, Steam is not allowed to sell the game over here either, and gifting doesn't work. I could use a VPN, but I don't care that much...

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #788 on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:14 PM

There's skyrim nexus up and running already.

4 latest mods:

Retextured female underwear
Proper Clean Female Body
Female Muscle Mod
Obligatory Chainmail Bikini

Ohhhhh, I see.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #789 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:12 PM

Surprising no one, my 2 boys and I are all playing completely differently from each other.  Youngest is barrelling through looking for dragon fights, the dark brotherhood and loot with no magic; older on has gone crafting and enchanting happy, and since I talk to eveyone and read every book I have a laundry list of quest all over the place.  Plus, it seem there is randomness to what you find in many places i.e. we all got something different out of the first barrow boss some of which was pretty impressive for low level loot.  I will easily get another 40 hours out of this one just one character - there's almost too much to do.

Archery can be awesome - shooting a bandit clear off the top of a 5 story tower from across a river and watching them fall was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Using traps to smush 3 draug was fun too.
Watching my headstrong son get knocked 50 feet in the air by a giant was quite amusing too.

The menu UI is too sluggish and unorganized for the pc.  Yeah looking at constellations for skills up is pretty for 10 seconds, after that it just slow you down.  Plus, would it kill them to sort armor by inventory piece (i.e. all helmets together, all shields) rather than alphabetic?  As usual, some of the theft rules dont make sense - you can loot gold and pick up coin purses with impunity, but dont you dare touch the shirt in my wardrobe or im calling the guards!
Need more weight carrying capacity - my pack rat symptoms are out in full force.  Do they have feather gear in this one?
Most everyone sounds like they're doing a bad Govinator impression which can make it hard to take seriously.  "It's not a tumor!"
And lastly, the bakcwards nature of your left mouse being your right hand and vice versa has made me grrr a few times but ill get used to it.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: November 11, 2011, 10:24:38 PM

You can remap which button is tied to which hand under Controls.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: November 11, 2011, 10:40:30 PM

There's skyrim nexus up and running already.

4 latest mods:

Retextured female underwear
Proper Clean Female Body
Female Muscle Mod
Obligatory Chainmail Bikini

Ohhhhh, I see.

Hah, identical to the popular Witcher 2 mods when first released.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: November 11, 2011, 10:44:47 PM

I also ran into weight issues pretty quickly. Only halfway to affording a house, so blah.

Some of the accents are really good. Some are definitely "Get to the CHOPPA!"
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #793 on: November 11, 2011, 11:00:29 PM

Man.... too early to say Meh, but after spending a couple hours playing these things come to light

(keep in mind, some of my gripes have fixes, Operator error on my part etc... but that isn't the point, it should be fucking obvious and intuitive for me to address these things if they can be tweaked):

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: November 11, 2011, 11:13:31 PM

Video settings can be changed from the options menu before launching the game.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: November 11, 2011, 11:21:18 PM

I'm guessing this is your first Elder Scrolls game, Fraeg?

It's an FPS. It's not Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age; you have to actually go over to look at something. Pure WASD or gamepad stuff. Been this way for ages.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: November 11, 2011, 11:24:33 PM

Interesting graphics mod Replaces the default fxaa filter with improved one and a sharpen effect. Can makes quite a difference.

(has a toned down version too, the default can be bit overdone)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:31:24 PM by tmp »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: November 12, 2011, 01:15:38 AM

Doesn't help that I'm still not completely sold on the new magic system.
I've taken to healing spells as a mostly heavy armor/axe'n'board warrior type. But I have noticed Exxon seems to have been integral to the design process, there's puddles of oil in every damned cave and ruin.

There's something pretty wicked about stunning an enemy with a shield bash and doing a power attack finishing move. The combat, it has its moments. Crafting armor seems worth it, too.

Hit those puddles of oil with your flame spell and you'll love the results. I killed 3 of those ghoul guys in the first cave with one fire spell this way. Of course, it was compounded by the lantern above their heads falling and causing a mini-fireball all on its own.

Have you bought any smithing perks? I bought the smith steel perk but can't actually smith any steel. It's beyond annoying. I don't know if it is one of the bugs Bethesda is famous for or if I have to find a better forge for it to work.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #798 on: November 12, 2011, 01:24:02 AM

On my way back to town from Bleak Falls (fast travel? bah! you miss too much stuff that way), I was attacked by a wandering Novice Necromancer.

I made short work of her, looted her corpse, and was getting on my way again when another Novice Necromancer wandered up, reanimated the corpse of the first one, and proceeded to attack me. 

I defeated them, but points to the NPC for making good use of their skills and the materials at hand!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: November 12, 2011, 06:34:11 AM

I actually don't mind the UI, surprisingly. The only thing that bugs me is that the yes/no dialogue is mouse click only, while everything else is keyboard. Other than that, it's not super huge font and boxy. Not perfect but better than most console/PC releases.

I think the gripes are nuts. No game is perfect but, after playing a godawful amount the past day, I can say that this is as close to perfect as any other single player game I've bought in ages. Morrowind, BG2 and Planescape are my holy trinity of RPGs but this is well on its way to getting in there.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: November 12, 2011, 07:14:06 AM

Hit those puddles of oil with your flame spell and you'll love the results.

Have you bought any smithing perks? I bought the smith steel perk but can't actually smith any steel. It's beyond annoying.
That's why I mentioned the inexplicable omnipresent oil puddles in response to a quote about magic. I've been gaming since 1975, I know what oil puddles are for!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Are you sure you have the proper ingredients? I can smith steel just fine, and it's better than the stuff the Jarl gave me after I put it on the workbench. Finding a smelter was annoying, since there's not one in the first village (it's in the first town the story takes you to).

NPC story: I exited the first mine and the bandit attacked me. For some reason when I killed him it registered as a crime and an imperial courier saw it. So I chased him about a mile down the road (damn heavy armor and melee character) and chopped him up, getting a message that the last witnessed had been removed, so the bounty was removed :)

But that begins to touch on something I've found: melee is screwed in this game. One NPC summoned a fire daedra on my level 8 ass and it was so difficult to close to melee range that I died after only getting in two shots on her retreating ass. Also,

I hope my leveling up because I'm doing a lot of smithing isn't going to screw me.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:57 AM

The interface as a whole is really annoying.  The shop and dialogue menus make no sense to me.  The perk selection screen is really pretty but I feel like it would work a lot better on PC if it was zoomed out.  The map is pretty useless too.  On the plus side, the favorites list is fantastic as long as you keep it short.  Still, there's hope from modders.

Also, the quest log sucks, but that's expected from Bethesda.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but it's nothing beyond what I would expect from a TES game insofar as I can see the appeal but I just can't buy in.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #802 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:08 AM

But that begins to touch on something I've found: melee is screwed in this game. One NPC summoned a fire daedra on my level 8 ass and it was so difficult to close to melee range that I died after only getting in two shots on her retreating ass.

I'm playing an orcish soldiery kind of character with heavy armor and a sword/shield.  I'm at level 11 now with some perks in 1-handed and block and can safely say that with some development melee characters become much more playable.  I had a lot of trouble in the beginning as well, but now find myself blocking, bashing with my shield and then slashing twice takes down most common enemies.  I am training archery though because like you said, when things start running there really isn't any way for me to catch them and yeah, the dragon thing.

I haven't fought anything really big lately though so I'm not sure how I would fare against a dragon right now.  I know I attempted to fight a giant a few levels ago and he one-shotted me into the stratosphere.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:11 AM

This game is amazing. So much better than Oblivion.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #804 on: November 12, 2011, 07:53:04 AM

The actual melee combat is pretty well done, once I learned how to properly use the shield offensively. Just those few situations, and I forgot the basic rule of pet casters: kill the caster! Just killed a necro that had two skeletons on me...with one power shot :)

SLI users: nab the 11/10 beta drivers, they added a profile for Skyrim and now it's running proper SLI. Went from pretty smooth on my gtx 460 to silky smooth, just like that!

I also find it much better than Oblivion, not sure how much is attributed to my obsession with my heritage, though. And you can chop wood!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: