Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:13:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  (Read 92507 times)
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: October 01, 2010, 09:05:02 PM

If he truly believed half the crap he's posted he'd have returned the game days ago

I opened the box and tried to register it. There isn't any way I can return it short of doing chargeback on my CC (not likely to work since they got my signature) or writing to support and asking to return it (already done, but they have not get back to me yet).

IF I KNEW STEAM WAS INVOLVED, I WOULDN'T HAVE PURCHASED IT IN A FIRST PLACE but these sneaky bastards took me by surprise. It was like getting into friends-with-benefits relationship with this super-hot person and discovering they gave you herpes... not exactly advertised on the front page, and you didn't exactly prepare for it, but since you got there despite your best effort you might as well ride it all the way down.

Hi Sinij,

Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 72 hours.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support Take 2 Interactive

For Civilization V issues, we encourage you to view our dedicated support page at: http://www.2kgames.com/civ5/support/ which also has a link to our knowledge database of solutions. Additionally, we are active in the dedicated support forums at: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86. Thanks for your patience.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:16:47 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: October 01, 2010, 09:13:21 PM

My fucking god, either you are just deliberately trying to be annoyed by everything possible, or you have the patience of a 3 year old.

No, I am pissed that I ended in this situation and now getting my money worth out of the experience with generous amount of forum drama. Added benefit is that some of the asswipes responsible for this fiasco read this site. Now if you don't mind....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:18:04 PM by sinij »

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: October 01, 2010, 09:24:38 PM

And every so often if I get a urge to play sup com 2, I have to sit through an hour of steam patching the fucking thing and there's no option to turn this off.

Fuck. Steam.

Impulse, Gamersgate and GOG 4eveh. Why do you think Steam does specials? Because the other sites started doing them and they had to compete. Most of the good Indie stuff on steam you can get on the other download sites anyway, and anything that's not I can live without.

If you want Steam to stop updating itself, run it in Offline mode.

If you just want it to stop updating a game: right-click on the game in your list, choose Properties, go to the Updates tab, and select "Do not automatically update this game."

It's a very similar procedure in Impulse so I'm not sure why that's magically better.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:30 PM

IF I KNEW STEAM WAS INVOLVED, I WOULDN'T HAVE PURCHASED IT IN A FIRST PLACE but these sneaky bastards took me by surprise.

Facepalm

Quote from: The Freaking Box
Other Requirements
Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication

one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication

Steam authentication

Those sneaky bastards!  I don't know where you bought your copy from, but it clearly indicates that it needs Steam activation both on the box and on Amazon.  Suck it up, princess.

Over and out.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: October 01, 2010, 09:28:42 PM

I Bought Supreme Commander 2.

Took It home. It forced me to Install Steam. THEN IT FORCED ME TO DOWNLOAD THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME DESPITE THE FACT I HAVE THE FUCKING DISK.

I look on the forums and basically the only way to stop steam doing this is to fuck with configuration files and the registry. Whoopy fucking do. SO I had to wait 14 hours to play the game I had the disk for. Thanks a lot steam.

And every so often if I get a urge to play sup com 2, I have to sit through an hour of steam patching the fucking thing and there's no option to turn this off.

Fuck. Steam.

Impulse, Gamersgate and GOG 4eveh. Why do you think Steam does specials? Because the other sites started doing them and they had to compete. Most of the good Indie stuff on steam you can get on the other download sites anyway, and anything that's not I can live without.

You do know that's GPG's fault more than steam's, right? Some idiot decided that instead of finishing the game and shipping it like they did in the old days, they shipped, and then finished it.

So what you actually did was install 2 gigs of game from the disc, and then steam is applying the 2.2G day zero patch. Apparently this is avoidable (and results in a buggy game) by installing offline. But it's not steam going "you have to download from us, muahahaha", steam is actually totally agnostic about where the files are from. You can copy the supcom dir from one computer to another and it'll just download the activation information before starting up. It doesn't care if the file was made on X Y or Z day, or from disc WhateverTheFuck. It's just diffing the files and going "you need this that and the other" if anything's different from the master record.

GPG basically fucked physical customers (and digital ones, on release day: supcom2 preloaded the bad image, and then dropped said 2.2G patch on release day instead of uploading it beforehand and preloading the patch, too)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:07 PM

Maybe this thread should get moved to the steam subforum now that someone has decided to get scatalogical about steam regarding a different title?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #146 on: October 01, 2010, 10:46:51 PM

Maybe this thread should get moved to the steam subforum now that someone has decided to get scatalogical about steam regarding a different title?

Or we can den it now that the novelty has run its course.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #147 on: October 02, 2010, 12:52:31 AM

Please don't, I'm starting to wonder how far sinij will pull his dramaqueening before his head explodes.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 02, 2010, 01:00:16 AM

Thank you guys. This thread has kept me well entertained during work today.  Heart awesome, for real Heart

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 02, 2010, 01:11:31 AM

Wow, buying a physical game disk? That takes me back to the old days.

Steam lets me go into (Australian) EB stores and just laugh at their range and prices. That's pretty much priceless in itself.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #150 on: October 02, 2010, 01:48:00 AM

Hello, this is sinji we are talking about here. He has a similar relationship with the idea we like to call 'sanity' as Britany Spears does.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE

God Save the Horn Players
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: October 02, 2010, 03:46:36 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: October 02, 2010, 03:50:20 AM

That ninja is a pro dirt digger.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #153 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:06 AM

I mean I'm the biggest pirate around
Ohhhhh, I see.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: October 02, 2010, 07:20:18 AM

That is the greatest god damn thing I've seen all week.  awesome, for real
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: October 02, 2010, 07:48:06 AM

Or we can den it now that the novelty has run its course.

Or you can den everything you disagree with and end up Furry-central like Waterthread.

Shaking fist

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #156 on: October 02, 2010, 07:50:41 AM

That is an awesome picture.  Terrific, lazytown is stuck in my head now.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: October 02, 2010, 07:51:26 AM

I played couple hours of Civ5 last night. To my surprise aside from initial nag screen Steam did not rear its ugly head. I am keeping it offline permanently (and firewalled it on top of that). On other hand Civ5 sucks and with glitchy graphics, Civ4 was much better.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: October 02, 2010, 08:25:18 AM

Or you can den everything you disagree with and end up Furry-central like Waterthread.

This is the second time you said something to the effect, and we're not exactly sure where you're going with this.

This thread is pretty much all about you, and in the immortal words of Ironwood:

Hey, this thread is like a shrine to ME.  We have a summoning of me, a Magic Card of me, Slayerik posting with ME in his sig and finally Endie would have appeared to have kept the Surprise Cockfags poster I made ages ago.

If it continues to be all about me, I'll end up being the new Bruce and be deep inside a vole before you know it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: October 02, 2010, 09:05:31 AM

. On other hand Civ5 sucks and with glitchy graphics, Civ4 was much better.
awesome, for real
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: October 02, 2010, 09:13:37 AM

I just read Fallout Vegas going to use steamworks as well :( :( :(

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: October 02, 2010, 09:16:18 AM

OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #162 on: October 02, 2010, 09:27:26 AM

Wouldn't you neckbeard your mans rather than manning your neckbeards?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: October 02, 2010, 09:27:54 AM

I just read Fallout Vegas going to use steamworks as well :( :( :(

Because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamworks is awesome.

Err, wait, that's not what I meant. Steamworks is popular because it lets you completely remove distribution costs from your wallet (steam picks up the bandwidth tab in exchange for a cut of the sales), and keeps adding awesome features like saving games to the cloud (now I can uninstall/have my machine blow up and not only reinstall the game, but also have my saves back!) as well as simplifying the shit out of paid DLC. You know, like how bioware should have done the clusterfuck that is ME2 and Dragon Age DLC.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #164 on: October 02, 2010, 09:40:12 AM

Wouldn't you neckbeard your mans rather than manning your neckbeards?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:07 AM

Twice.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: October 02, 2010, 12:05:36 PM

The SS fatguy picture.

It slays me.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #167 on: October 02, 2010, 04:48:38 PM

Why wasn't I told this board apparently loves furries? Now I have to shop for cat ears or something to fit in.  Cry

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: October 02, 2010, 05:23:34 PM

You have a rabbit avatar. I think you fit sinji's definition of furry already.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #169 on: October 02, 2010, 05:53:28 PM

Hey, if she wants to find cat ears, let her!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #170 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:31 PM

Uh oh.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #171 on: October 02, 2010, 08:54:00 PM

Furry avatars unite! Wait...
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #172 on: October 02, 2010, 09:31:42 PM

Uh oh.

YOUR avatar is even wearing a HAT.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #173 on: October 03, 2010, 02:19:22 AM

Does BF:BC2 use Steamworks by default? It's on Steam for a damn fortune, but I can pick it up cheap from the UK so my wife can have a copy...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: October 03, 2010, 02:53:45 AM

I don't believe it uses it at all since my version from the EA Store doesn't have any Steam functionality and it doesn't list anything on the Steam store page.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civ 5 requires Steam? or Gabe Newell touched me riiight... there.  
Jump to: