Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 619492 times)
waffel
Terracotta Army

on: December 11, 2010, 10:26:08 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/11/skyrim-elder-scrolls-5-coming-11-11-11/

In one of the bigger surprises during the VGAs, Bethesda's Todd Howard took to the stage, surrounded by a menagerie of monks, to reveal the latest in the Elder Scrolls series: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Didn't see a thread about this.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:25:00 AM by NiX »
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:20:32 PM

Okay, this shit pisses me off.

"We need evil chromatic dragons, everyone else has them."

"...And generic fantasy humans, every good story needs lots and lots of generic human characters"
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:45:58 PM

"...And generic fantasy humans, every good story needs lots and lots of generic human characters"

Head scratch

Anyways, its the same engine as fallout 3/oblivion so I'm not as excited as I might have been. source
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:24:21 AM

Everytime I see trailers like this I hear in my head Cuba Gooding Jr's voice, only instead of it saying "Show me the money", it says "Show me the ingame footage". 
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:24:07 AM

At least they have Max Von Sydow!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:27:16 AM

This thread is destined for greatness.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 08:00:34 AM

You smoking crack again?

It's the fifth game in a series that has featured generic fantasy humans and evil dragons since , uh, 1994.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:05:16 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:36:02 AM

If you should be outraged about a recent announcement and its plot, it should be Mass Effect 3. That's some generic shit.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:22 AM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 11:39:14 AM

If you should be outraged about a recent announcement and its plot, it should be Mass Effect 3. That's some generic shit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:12:57 PM

Yeah. Because we all know how unpopular standard themes are in games and other media like books and movies. People just hate that stuff.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:14:28 PM

I don't think anyone (bar maybe sheepherder) has a particular problem with it.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:20:27 PM

This thread is destined for greatness.

Indeed, aaah, the drama that will play out in this topic (maybe not like over at RPG Codex, but I'm sure we'll be up the task in front of us :D).  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 03:41:44 PM

It's not unlikely to be Rage's engine (id Tech 5) since both companies are now owned by Zenimax. It should have the capabilities expected by Bethesda. That's not to say it's going to run well, because I believe more in Bethesda's ability to cripple an engine than in id's ability to create an impervious engine. tongue

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:23:50 PM

Also, that they said they were working with id on their new engine when Zenimax bought id probably means they are at least using some of the rage tech.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:51 PM

So if Carmack is writing the engine can we expect only people with $3k in disposable income to spend on a PC are going to be able to play it with more than 4 fps?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 06:12:42 PM

It's the fifth game in a series that has featured generic fantasy humans and evil dragons since , uh, 1994.

Three appearances in six games outside of lore.  One appearance as the time god/dragon in Oblivion, one boss guarding the imperial palace in Redguard, and some randomly generated whelps in Daggerfall.  Lore-wise Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire, Morrowind and Oblivion all have a preponderance to mention them in relation to said time god, or in service to the empire.

Oblivion would have been more interesting if Blizzard Bethesda hadn't fucked with the roman theme that the imperials had going in Morrowind.  You just know they're going to fuck with the Nords too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:13:48 PM by Sheepherder »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:11:08 PM

I wasn't aware Blizzard had anything to do with TES.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 07:15:52 PM

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 02:42:55 AM

Ah, 1994, when the world was already populated with generic fantasy series that were into their fifth or sixth game. Bard's Tale, Ultima, etc. Which is why TES went under my gaming radar until people obsessed over Morrowind and I ignored them until Oblivion. Which gave me good reason to put them back on ignore.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 03:46:44 AM

Sheepherder has a point that atmosphere wise I think Morrowind's departure from medieval Western styling was far more interesting than Oblivion's world. I'm not too bothered by dragons but I would appreciate it if the game didn't decide to just go with every generic fantasy trope. Fuck hopefully setting it in Skyrim will mean the Imperials are back to being Roman style legionnaires rather than knights and wizards. If they make an effort to introduce an interesting guild/caste type system for the Nords I think it could be interesting. That said I'm a sucker for Bethesda games, I'll buy it and probably enjoy running around like a hooligan. Weirdly I never really enjoyed doing that same stuff in GTA games.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:29 AM

So if Carmack is writing the engine can we expect only people with $3k in disposable income to spend on a PC are going to be able to play it with more than 4 fps?

Nah, they'll just use the version that they developed for the iPhone.  awesome, for real

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 04:18:12 AM

Three appearances in six games outside of lore.  One appearance as the time god/dragon in Oblivion, one boss guarding the imperial palace in Redguard, and some randomly generated whelps in Daggerfall.  Lore-wise Arena, Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire, Morrowind and Oblivion all have a preponderance to mention them in relation to said time god, or in service to the empire.

So, just to be clear what you are saying is that there have always been dragons in TES?  Because that looks like what you're saying.

edit: Also, the retro Morrowind love is great.  Am I the only one who remembers all the whining about brown, ash, brown, ash and brown ash?  Or how basically mod teams had to redo every single texture and model in the game?  Or that almost no one finished the main quest and complained endlessly that Bethsoft needed to tighten up the quest system and story?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:22:01 AM by Murgos »

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 05:26:03 AM

So, just to be clear what you are saying is that there have always been dragons in TES?  Because that looks like what you're saying.

edit: Also, the retro Morrowind love is great.  Am I the only one who remembers all the whining about brown, ash, brown, ash and brown ash?  Or how basically mod teams had to redo every single texture and model in the game?  Or that almost no one finished the main quest and complained endlessly that Bethsoft needed to tighten up the quest system and story?

I remember one thing about Morrowind. Cliff Racers.

Fuck Cliff Racers.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 05:32:32 AM

Yeah, getting rid of fucking cliff racers was the one mod I really, really needed. That said I did actually like Morrowind for all it's annoyances and I even managed to finish the main quest storyline, though I didn't really bother discussing it on-line so maybe I just didn't get people telling me about how depressingly brown everything was.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:18 AM

I loved Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. Never came remotely close to finishing the main quest in any of them. Daggerfall due to a bug, the other two due to not caring. I actually ran mods to entirely remove the main quest in some Oblivion playthroughs.

I've always had tons of complaints about the ES series artisticaly - The brown mud world of Morrwind, the Down's syndrome looking population of Oblivion, and the voices - Oh God the voices!   ACK!  The Orcs in Oblivion sounded like the Tick after a three day bender, and the female elves sounded like an angry Dame Edna.

Despite that, there has never been a PC game with a more open sandboxy world, combined with such a strong modding community - so I forgive them a lot.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 09:56:51 AM

So, any gameplay videos yet?  awesome, for real  I may be alone in this, but cinematic teasers/announcements do very, very little for me.  I tend to ignore them completely nowadays.

I like the bit of the TES series I've played.  They're no masterpieces, but they're usually fun for at least a solid month and the replayability is extremely high.

Morrowind was more sandboxy fun than Oblivion, but the main plot was something I could never finish.  Oblivion had a more finishable main plot, but hasn't drawn me back as muchas Morrowind (which I used to play at least once a year) and didn't have as interesting of a world as Morrowind.   

I cautiously look forward to this game making my new PC feel like it's extremely low end.   Ohhhhh, I see.

-Rasix
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:35 AM

My favorite memory from Morrowind is that wizard falling from the sky, picking up his spellbook with his 500 times athleticism or whatever and using that + levitation to jump from miles around (and falling to my death from it most of the time)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 10:39:20 AM

Never played the first two TES games. Morrowind had a more interesting sandbox to play in, but as most here have said the main quest was just meh. Oblivion had an easier-to-follow story; my only complaint was the repetitive oblivion gates. It got so annoying that I was literally just training through them to the orb at the top, rather than sneaking or clearing through.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:13 AM

You didn't have to clear the gates.  Only had to clear a handful for storyline purposes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12:03 AM

It was more than a handful IIRC. You had to clear the ones outside all the cities to get their support, then another round of them for another step in the main quest.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 11:21:11 AM

I remember one thing about Morrowind. Cliff Racers.

Fuck Cliff Racers.
This.

Morrowind should've pulled me in. I spent way too much time playing Arena and Daggerfall. Not really optimistic about TES5, it will look even prettier than Oblivion most likely, but I mostly liked TES for the massive dungeons of Daggerfall and I don't see them ever returning. Gothic 3 may have been a stumble, but Risen>Oblivion imo (just as I felt Gothic 2> Morrowind, especially with the NotR expansion).
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 11:24:24 AM

... but I mostly liked TES for the massive dungeons of Daggerfall and I don't see them ever returning

You are a horribly broken person.  I remember going through random dungeons that were so freaking large it would take several play sessions and you would get dick all from them and they weren't even part of the story.  Assuming you didn't fall through the world and lose hours of play and have to start over that is.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 11:49:53 AM

...and you'd need a horse and a wagon standing outside the dungeon so you could do loot-trips back up to clear out your inventory for more useless junk. Or was that just a dream I had? I can no longer remember, too long ago.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:48 PM

At least they have Max Von Sydow!

We should really start a pool on how many minutes into the game they run out of money for him and kill his character off.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: