Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629981 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:24 AM

Pretty cool item guide here

www.mediafire.com/?oa12ih1itwhgfw2
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: November 11, 2011, 05:11:38 AM

People like me are excited about the propect of thief 4 but skyrim? hell I AM Garret in this game, it's awesome.  Stealth, bows, pickpocketing and lockpicks....nothing like a headshot on a ghost

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #737 on: November 11, 2011, 05:33:37 AM

Also, I seem to be contracting vampirism, no idea how but signs point to me ingesting every random ingredient I found, including vampire dust.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: November 11, 2011, 05:52:37 AM

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: November 11, 2011, 06:19:37 AM

It really is a game about exploring the wonders of  nordic landscape....and eating ectoplasm just to see what it does.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:50 AM

Played four hours of a Bethesda game on launch day with one lockup/crash - I'm impressed.  Even better, it runs glass-smooth on my PC on Ultra (GTX570 + i5 2500K) - the visuals are way better than I'd expect for the framerates I'm getting.

Only beef I have is with the menu UI, which is optimized really heavily for the 360 pad - mouse clicks in the menus are more often than not interpreted as d-pad presses instead of direct selection of items, which is annoying.  I'm as much an advocate of couch PC gaming as anyone, but I'm really hoping someone implements a more mouse-friendly menu system.

Only made it to the second city so far, playing stealth/thievery/archery mostly - did the same dungeon as Ruvaldt, though I had a quest that took me in there.  Came out with a magic word and a magic sword.  The boss fights seemed a bit on the easy side, but I attribute that to being able to soften them up with the bow before having to melee.

The game really feels more like Fallout than Oblivion, if anyone was still on the fence.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #741 on: November 11, 2011, 06:38:54 AM

The graphics are serviceable, but the engine is showing its age. Had to crank up the mouse speed, felt like the slow thumbstick look. I think there is a bit of play in it still, because it was making me a bit woozy and that only happens in console/thumbstick games.

UI is bonkers, definitely works well with a controller and sucks with the kbam, especially the skills constellation thing. It was jumping back and forth between constellations when I was just trying to look at the heavy armor tree. Dialog is a bit wonky, inventory was a bit of a struggle because they never told you to tab out of it.  As good as the UI works with the controller, I'm playing kbam because navigating the world with a controller is balls.

Melee combat with friendlies around isn't friendly to the friendlies. "Hey be careful!" "Watch out!" Yeah, dude, don't jump in front of a berserker with an axe.

Still had an enjoyable couple of hours, I like that early on they give you a faction decision. I'm of course playing as my people and stuck with them.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #742 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:26 AM

Early bandit quote "Come here so I can kill you and take your stuff!"

Loving the nordic theme so far, plus crafting looks like something you can do without too much effort.  Kill animals who attack me anyway, get pels, make leather at the tanning racks, combine into stuff at the table or forge.
I was actually tempted to go full caster just from the +50% mana regen robes you practically start with.
Oh well, off to work enforced gaming break.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: November 11, 2011, 06:46:11 AM

The graphics are serviceable, but the engine is showing its age. Had to crank up the mouse speed, felt like the slow thumbstick look. I think there is a bit of play in it still, because it was making me a bit woozy and that only happens in console/thumbstick games.

UI is bonkers, definitely works well with a controller and sucks with the kbam, especially the skills constellation thing. It was jumping back and forth between constellations when I was just trying to look at the heavy armor tree. Dialog is a bit wonky, inventory was a bit of a struggle because they never told you to tab out of it.  As good as the UI works with the controller, I'm playing kbam because navigating the world with a controller is balls.

I think mouse acceleration is enabled by default, which would account for the wooziness:

Go to the SkyrimPrefs.ini file and change "bMouseAcceleration=1" to "bMouseAcceleration=0"

EDIT:  Could also be FOV:

In Skyrim.ini, set "fdefaultfov=X"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:57:08 AM by MisterNoisy »

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:39 AM

They put a lot more "game" here than Oblivion, which makes me happy. You can still explore and just dick around without touching the main quest.. but the combat is smoother, the leveling system is no longer PANTS ON HEAD RETARDED, and the dungeon design so far is less "here is a realistic dungeon" and more "here is a dungeon that would be fun to explore and has a bit of character"

The UI and controls in general are still terrible. Like Bethesda has never employed anyone who has actually used a computer in their lives. The Favorites system is silly, just let me bind weapon slots to number keys or something damnit. I don't want to pause the game every few seconds mid fight just to fiddle with my inventory.

edit: more random thoughts: They did a really nice job making the world. It feels thematically right. I was impressed that not only was there a farm, but they'd bothered putting in an accurate functioning mill with it. Bethesda also still makes people with the strangest looking faces ever. I think it was Imperials where every character nose was completely flat in the front. Not just "that's a flat nose", I mean just a hard angle into a straight flat area.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:51:17 AM by kildorn »
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #745 on: November 11, 2011, 07:47:19 AM

Pre-order receipt is in my bag. Then I have to bus my ass to the store. Blaaahhhhh
CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #746 on: November 11, 2011, 07:50:45 AM

I think mouse acceleration is enabled by default, which would account for the wooziness:

Go to the SkyrimPrefs.ini file and change "bMouseAcceleration=1" to "bMouseAcceleration=0"

EDIT:  Could also be FOV:

In Skyrim.ini, set "fdefaultfov=X"
Also the following taken from TweakGuides site...
For now, the most important tweak has to do with the fact that VSync is automatically on and can't be disabled from within the game. This not only reduces FPS, it also introduces mouse lag. To disable VSync in Skyrim, add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory.

And PC Gamer is aggregating some tweaks from various places on this page.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 07:52:26 AM by CaptainNapkin »
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: November 11, 2011, 08:07:04 AM

I popped out at lunch to the shops to buy it only to find that stupid Game charges 5 quid more in store than online so I returned to the office to order online to see that I could have bought it online and collected in store grrrrrrrrrrrr! :-(

So I've ordered it but in order to avoid the 5 quid delivery charge for next day (at which point I might as well have bought it in the shop) it looks like I'll be waiting a couple of days for delivery :-(

I refuse to buy stuff via Steam if the retail activates through Steam - if I'm going to pay the same for it I'll have the manual etc as well please!

Wishing I'd pre-ordered now :-(

Probably just as well as I wanted to make use of the feature episode re run in STO this weekend anyway
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:50 AM

Well there went four hours in a hurry!  UI is clunky but otherwise I'm having a fine time.  No crashes or noticeable bugs.  Have done two dungeons and both were fun. I'm playing a Destruction/Restoration Mage with 1h sword and tinkering with blacksmithing.  Alchemy looks ok but I don't want to manage all those herbs.

The world feels realistic and immersive.  One of the early puzzles had me chuckling at my dumbness.  No stats!  Turns out I like this change, levelling is organic now.  Oh and my thoroughness paid off when I found a very nice cache of loot hidden in a narrow passage.  That kind of stuff is my bread and butter.
WayAbvPar

Reply #749 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:44 AM

Got home and pre-ordered about 3 hours before unlock. Started download (at about 750kb/s), said it would take 2:23. Checked back 2 hours later, it was at 40%, downloading at 79kb/s  Heartbreak

Let it run overnight, then got it installed and ready to go. Then I came to work  Ohhhhh, I see.

Might get stuck working tonight and over the weekend too. At least that will more than pay for Skyrim...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: November 11, 2011, 08:56:05 AM

Tweaks seem to have sorted out the mouse stuff. FOV to 101, mouse accel off, vsync off.

Once you get past the aging engine, they have done a good job of making snowy mountains. Woke up to a good snowstorm here, so I'm in the mode. Can't wait to get a crackling fire tonight and dig into it.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #751 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:29 AM

The Favorites system is silly, just let me bind weapon slots to number keys or something damnit. I don't want to pause the game every few seconds mid fight just to fiddle with my inventory.

Once an item is on your favorites menu, you can mouseover it and press a number key and it will bind it to that key. If you bind a spell to it, for example, you can double-tap it to throw it into both hands.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: November 11, 2011, 09:29:53 AM

Well I guess it has something for everyone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27GuSSha0s
But the real question is "if someone has a basket on their head, does that mean they won't see me steal all their shit?"

And the answer to that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

Nope.

That video seems to indicate it does indeed work.  The npc does not call him a theif until the cauldron falls off his head and then he loots.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: November 11, 2011, 09:36:34 AM

I meant "Nope" as in "Nope they won't notice you."
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #754 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:47 AM

I'm torn between PC and PS3. Can anyone give any insight?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: November 11, 2011, 10:08:26 AM

Well I guess it has something for everyone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27GuSSha0s
But the real question is "if someone has a basket on their head, does that mean they won't see me steal all their shit?"

And the answer to that is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

Nope.

That video seems to indicate it does indeed work.  The npc does not call him a theif until the cauldron falls off his head and then he loots.

Lol that's retarded.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #756 on: November 11, 2011, 10:21:59 AM

Is there a pdf manual somewhere?  I can't seem to find it via Steam and the Steam Forums are down...
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:16 AM

PS3 version froze about 1.5 hours in. I wasn't doing anything special, just walking down a mountain. Hope this won't be happening too frequently.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #758 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:51 AM

PS3 version froze about 1.5 hours in. I wasn't doing anything special, just walking down a mountain. Hope this won't be happening too frequently.
Fucking cliff racers.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: November 11, 2011, 10:40:38 AM

Once an item is on your favorites menu, you can mouseover it and press a number key and it will bind it to that key. If you bind a spell to it, for example, you can double-tap it to throw it into both hands.
Love Letters
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #760 on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:04 AM

The answer is obvious: PC. The mods alone will be worth it.

Lol that's retarded.

Psychic guards are retarded. I'll take basket vision block over that any day.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:23 AM

I gotta imagine that unless your PC is fairly decrepit, you should go that route.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #762 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:54 AM

I went PC and it was the right choice.  It feels like it wants to play with a PS3 controller, and I'll buy a GOTY for the PS3 when it releases for couch adventuring.  But the mod options are what have me sticking to PC.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:53 AM

Assuming you have a beefy enough system to run the game, is the answer to this ever not PC?  awesome, for real

You guys are making it very difficult to not buy Skryim right now.  I told myself I'm waiting until it probably goes on Steam sale for Christmas before picking it up in case it's not good.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:01:55 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #764 on: November 11, 2011, 12:11:53 PM

Assuming you have a beefy enough system to run the game, is the answer to this ever not PC?  awesome, for real

I guess its just that I have been burnt by some PC games recently, that would probably have been better on a console. Consolitus on a console isnt a bad thing.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:14 PM

You guys are making it very difficult to not buy Skryim right now.  I told myself I'm waiting until it probably goes on Steam sale for Christmas before picking it up in case it's not good.

Just buy it on Steam now. It is well worth $60.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #766 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:25 PM

Yep, I caved. Having fun.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #767 on: November 11, 2011, 03:12:34 PM

I'm just a couple hours in and oh holy shit the UI is beyond terrible.  It takes infinity keystrokes to swap weapons, an annoyance magnified by the fact that every spell is treated as an equippable weapon.  Worst consolitis ever.  I don't think I'll play more until someone mods something acceptable into that shitshow.  Which is unfortunate because the game otherwise seems pretty awesome.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #768 on: November 11, 2011, 03:22:24 PM

Apparently if you put your weapons and spells into Favorites you can mouse over them in the Favorite menu and bind them to a number key. Why the fuck Steam doesn't automatically include a .pdf of the manual is beyond me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:56 PM

Take some time, go to the Help section of the menu, read through it. A few good tips in there.

Once you get favorites, it's just bad, not horrible. My current complaint is the inability to smelt stacks of ore.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: