Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ironman- The Movie  (Read 130763 times)
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: May 04, 2008, 12:53:57 AM

The only thing that irked me about the movie was that there were a solid dozen or so times that Stark should have died, suit or no suit.  Falling out of the sky from hundreds of feet up while wearing half a ton of metal isn't something that anyone's walking away from, for example.  And it only would've taken one second of footage of him firing the thrusters at the last instant to turn that scene from utterly unbelievable to okay.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #281 on: May 04, 2008, 05:52:52 AM

If we are going to get picky, my big plot hole is Pepper going to SHIELD and no-one getting to Tony before Stane did. They could have at least sent an agent to protect him.

But, you know, it's pretty minor.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:51 AM

LOVED it.  IM gets the ole A++++ would watch again.

RDJ and the others actually crammed some drama and human emotion into a summer blockbuster.  Great laughs, good story, awesome sfx.  I've waited over three decades to see IM on the big screen.  Thank God they did it right. 

-Jeff Bridges=one of the best superhero villians.  Yeah I went there.
-RDJ=I knew he was a good actor but DAMN.
-SLJ="Get these mutherfuckin' Hydra OFF my mutherfuckin' helicarrier!"

Would love to see down the road IM vs. The Hulk, or the Avengers.  Or take all the current Marvel movie superheroes and make them face some gigantic threat.
That would be some awesome.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #283 on: May 04, 2008, 11:29:17 AM

Regarding the fall in the desert:  The fact that the suit can fly, supersonic and intercontinental, is so absurd on the face that you just have to sort of blind yourself to physics going in.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: May 04, 2008, 12:36:31 PM

Regarding the fall in the desert:  The fact that the suit can fly, supersonic and intercontinental, is so absurd on the face that you just have to sort of blind yourself to physics going in.
Well, the suit being able to go Super sonic and Intercontinental is supposed to be due to the use of "Stark Industries Proprietary Repulsor Technology" as some sort of high tech ultra efficient and compact propulsion system, coupled with his "uber arc reactor" which puts out more energy then full sized power plants, but fits in the palm of your hand.

The fall in the Desert still seems improbable however.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: May 04, 2008, 01:49:00 PM

Le awesome.  The only downside is everyone is going to whine when Dark Knight comes out that it isn't as good as this, which will anger me. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: May 04, 2008, 04:17:46 PM

He was using proprietary Stark Industries Inertial Dampeners which he then improved upon for the newer suits.  They didn't want to throw too much technobabble at you though, so they skipped over it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: May 04, 2008, 06:48:13 PM

Great movie.

Hoax - If you like good tactical fights, be sure to check this gem :

Also:

Any comic fan can direct me to the best Ironman series?  I'm guessing there's ultimate, extreme and rebirth XXX.  Any series is seen has the real canon?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #288 on: May 04, 2008, 07:02:52 PM

The real canon is just the plain iron man and avengers comics. I'd suggest just the Ultimate stuff, since you can avoid civil war, and get a re-telling of all of the marvel universe in new art.

On the flipside, the ultimate origin story for stark isn't the standard one told all of the time (basically, he's born with an ailment...kind of a boy-in-the-bubble sort of thing...AND, he's kind of a superpowered mutant when it comes to his intelligence). It's written by orson scott card, if that matters.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #289 on: May 04, 2008, 07:44:12 PM

when i glanced over the blue baby start i decided to give it a miss. They already have Xmen, Spidey, Ironman, Nick Fury, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, FF and Hulk. Just toss in David Hasselhoff as Captain America and we're ready  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #290 on: May 04, 2008, 09:11:32 PM

Well, the suit being able to go Super sonic and Intercontinental is supposed to be due to the use of "Stark Industries Proprietary Repulsor Technology" as some sort of high tech ultra efficient and compact propulsion system, coupled with his "uber arc reactor" which puts out more energy then full sized power plants, but fits in the palm of your hand.

And also keeps you from having to poop while making a 6000 mile flight to Afghanistan in an enclosed metal suit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #291 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:57 PM

He was using proprietary Stark Industries Inertial Dampeners which he then improved upon for the newer suits.

Love Letters
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #292 on: May 04, 2008, 11:06:15 PM

The suit probably just recycles waste like a space suit.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #293 on: May 05, 2008, 12:53:19 AM

Any comic fan can direct me to the best Ironman series?  I'm guessing there's ultimate, extreme and rebirth XXX.  Any series is seen has the real canon?

Some key TPB's:

- Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle.  Deals with Stark's alcoholism.

- Armor Wars.  Iron Man hunts down various armored villains who've stolen his technology.

- War Machine (TPB releases near the end of the month).  Since they seem to be setting up the possiblity of Rhodes donning the armor in the movies at some point, this could be helpful reading for those interested.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:05 AM

I just read Ultimates Volume 1 & 2. In it Iron Man actually mentions Robert Downey Jr. ("I've had my nose broken more times than Robert Downey Jr.) In the Ultimates universe a lot of characters are drawn to look similar to real people. Was Stark in any way based on Downey Jr?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #295 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:25 AM

I just glanced at issue 3. The artwork doesn't look like him to me. I think it's just that RDJ did his best to capture it.

At the very least, it didn't register enough with anyone at the Marvel film division to think so. Apparently, they weren't interested in giving it to him at first. He had to audition and test for the role like a newb. It was his idea to go after the part. So taking that into account, I don't think those comics originally had him in mind (like Sam Jackson/Nick Fury, for example).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:53:12 AM by Stray »
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:17 AM

Yea! Glad I with folks who made me stay 'til the end credits.

Movie rocked. Only two things bothered me:

• Pacing. Something was, err, "off" in parts. The most noticable was the beginning: long shot of HUMVEES for two seconds and then they cut to the Jerry Bruckheiemer-esque music+staccoto camera work. Later with Pepper walks in on Stark getting suited up, there's that pregnant-pause where he's wondering what to say and then is all flippant. I liked the preview trailer treatment of that scene better.
  • The origin story of fighting another robot. This is a larger issue I have with some of the big comics. Not sure how pervasive this is, but it seems like the most known good guys have as their origins big fights with mere perversions of themselves. I wanted more Ironman against military weapons, less Ironman against... a bigger Ironman. I'm probably being picky, and I'm sure the movie was pretty close to established lore.

I think this movie will be successful enough to prompt a sequel. But, I wonder, will it be a sequel? Or will it be Avengers? I'm undecided which one I'd rather have smiley
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #297 on: May 05, 2008, 04:45:15 AM

• The origin story of fighting another robot. This is a larger issue I have with some of the big comics. Not sure how pervasive this is, but it seems like the most known good guys have as their origins big fights with mere perversions of themselves. I wanted more Ironman against military weapons, less Ironman against... a bigger Ironman. I'm probably being picky, and I'm sure the movie was pretty close to established lore.
Not really.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #298 on: May 05, 2008, 05:04:07 AM

I wanted the Mandarin, dammit.  I was SURE they were going to spring him on us.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #299 on: May 05, 2008, 05:25:01 AM

Just toss in David Hasselhoff as Captain America and we're ready  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hasselhoff would reprise his role as Nick Fury.

More seriously, the only actor I could think of playing Captain America is Aaron Eckhart, but he might look a little old and he's in "The Dark Knight" so Marvel might not want him to appear in their film.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #300 on: May 05, 2008, 06:22:23 AM

Mandarin?  Fuck no.  Some shit just won't fly outside of a comic book, and the evil Chinese wizard with magic rings from an alien spaceship is one of them.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #301 on: May 05, 2008, 06:37:11 AM

And dragons.  DRAGONS!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #302 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:49 AM

Mandarin?  Fuck no.  Some shit just won't fly outside of a comic book, and the evil Chinese wizard with magic rings from an alien spaceship is one of them.

I haven't seen it yet, but my buddy told me the terrorist group that captures him at the beginning is named Ten Rings. Which means the Mandarin is around and will likely be the villain in a sequel.

Also, the Stane villain had nothing to do with Iron Man's origin in the comics. Stane was an industrialist who came after Stark in the late 100's of the Iron Man book. He bought out Stark Industries, sent Iron Man packing and for a while there, Rhodes was Iron Man while Tony went back into the bottle. Tony finally crawled out and made the red and white suit, around issue #200, and fought Stane in his giant dark blue suit and won. I don't remember if Stane ever came back after that.

schild
Administrator

Reply #303 on: May 05, 2008, 06:56:49 AM

Aaron Eckhart should play everything and everyone.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #304 on: May 05, 2008, 07:10:14 AM

There were 1 or 2 other things that led into a potential Mandarin storyline as well.  The leader of the Ten Rings is seen playing absent-mindedly with a very ornamental ring in one scene, and he went on about Mongolian history.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 05, 2008, 08:10:39 AM

The Mandarin was definately in it.  They never called him by name or gave you any reason to know about him unless you know the Iron Man story at all.  I liked how they handled it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #306 on: May 05, 2008, 11:11:42 AM

From Yahoo:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #307 on: May 05, 2008, 11:16:31 AM

They can do Thor all they want as long as no one says anything about the Mallet Merengue.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:41 AM

I think Thor will be very hard to do and not make it a parody of itself. I keep picturing Karl Urban (the dude from LOTR and Doom) as Thor and them making Thor: Pathfinder of the Rings.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: May 05, 2008, 11:27:44 AM

Hmm Avengers vs the Inhumans is probably a good way to ease into the Illuminati ? Not sure who's gonna play Blackbolt and Doc Strange though.

Win.

To add to that.

WAR MACHINE!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:40:36 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #310 on: May 05, 2008, 11:50:26 AM

I think Thor will be very hard to do and not make it a parody of itself. I keep picturing Karl Urban (the dude from LOTR and Doom) as Thor and them making Thor: Pathfinder of the Rings.

Marvel has a hard time even finding a way to do the Thor comic right.  As far as the movie goes, assuming they go with Donald Blake, do they make him a separate personality from Thor, or will they be one and the same person?  Should Asgard be brought into first movie in any large capacity, or should it start off more grounded in the "real" world?  What big motherfucker can be cast as Thor who also isn't a completely shit actor?
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: May 05, 2008, 11:53:41 AM

According to IMDB, the guy rumoured to be cast as Thor is Kevin McKidd.

Only thing I've ever really seen him in was Rome.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #312 on: May 05, 2008, 11:58:25 AM

Dude, Raul Julia is DEAD.

I guess Kevin McKidd could make a pretty good Thor. Funny that Titus Pullo is going to be the new Punisher too (I rather liked Tom Jane).

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: May 05, 2008, 12:09:52 PM

According to IMDB, the guy rumoured to be cast as Thor is Kevin McKidd.

Only thing I've ever really seen him in was Rome.

He was in Dog Soldiers (great genre monster movie) and I think in Trainspotting?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: May 05, 2008, 12:12:33 PM

Dude, Raul Julia is DEAD.

Well shitt, he would have made a good one.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie  
Jump to: