Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ironman- The Movie  (Read 130764 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #245 on: April 17, 2008, 10:44:47 AM

You couldn't do that with comics 20 years ago, either.

True enough.  Anime may get there, but comics are already there.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #246 on: April 17, 2008, 11:10:22 AM

You couldn't do that with comics 20 years ago, either.

Yeah, I'm sure people would have though you were crazy if you were discussing Wonder Woman, the Hulk, and Superman in, oh... let's say the late '70s.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #247 on: April 17, 2008, 11:35:23 AM

Yeah, I'm sure people would have though you were crazy if you were discussing Wonder Woman, the Hulk, and Superman in, oh... let's say the late '70s.
Yeah, really. No cool pop references at all.

(Sorry for the shitty pic, I refer to Belushi Hulk in the upper corner and Ess En Ell are internet-hating douchebags)

No major motion pictures or tv shows. Shit, people knew who fucking SHAZAM was in the 70s.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: April 17, 2008, 12:10:32 PM

I can tie this whole derail together with one picture:

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: April 28, 2008, 09:09:43 AM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #250 on: April 28, 2008, 10:06:07 AM

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure where the trend of getting actors from the off the beaten path to star in blockbusters started exactly (like PotC, for example), but I like mainstream hollywood right now. I'm super-stoked for this. It can not not be fun.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #251 on: April 30, 2008, 06:18:26 PM

Watched it.  Really enjoyed it, but won't go into detail until others have had a chance to see it.  Also, the last reel of the prints I saw were apparently alternate reels specifically for advanced screenings.  The reels had to be taken off  after the screenings and replaced with the reels for the regular showing, so presumably there's some sort of change from the ending I saw, but I won't know what until I get a chance to sit down and watch the movie again with the new reel on (likely on Monday).
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: May 01, 2008, 08:27:12 AM

Saw the release print for our theater.  Very well done.  Downy is a perfect Stark, and the suit in action is flawless.  Pretty much couldn't ask for a better adaption of Ironman for the Big Screen.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:23 AM

That fills me with near infinite happiness.

I'll see it on Saturday.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #254 on: May 01, 2008, 11:59:37 AM

Saw the release print for our theater.  Very well done.  Downy is a perfect Stark, and the suit in action is flawless.  Pretty much couldn't ask for a better adaption of Ironman for the Big Screen.

I'm going to try to catch the end of one of the showings I have tonight.  There have been rumors that what was changed on the last reel is that they've added the Nick Fury scene to the end of the credits.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: May 01, 2008, 02:24:12 PM

Ahh, if that was the only edit, then you didnt really miss much.

Spoiler:
Stark comes down to his living room to find Jackson Fury standing there, who says "you think you are the only superhero out there", and then mentions the "avenger initiative".  We need Thor and Capt America movies.  Stat.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #256 on: May 01, 2008, 02:44:51 PM

Ahh, if that was the only edit, then you didnt really miss much.

Yeah, I'd already heard the details of the scene, but since I'm working tonight anyway I'll probably pop into the auditorium for a bit to catch it.  By the by, the two movies you want to see are both scheduled for 2009 and already have directors attached to them.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #257 on: May 02, 2008, 06:37:42 AM

I saw "Iron Man" today and it was great. As my wife said, "Like 'Top Gun' but with no Tom Cruise and less homo-eroticism."

Favereau made a very good picture and even the cornball moments aren't that cornball. Downey Jr made the role of Stark his and it is awesome.

Plus I just found out his role in "Tropic Thunder" and that's just awesome plus. to wit:

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #258 on: May 02, 2008, 08:16:36 AM

This movie has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 122:7 ratio, this is required viewing now.

For the record I said on the onset it would be awesome, Schild still thinks it will be a piece of crap.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #259 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:49 AM

That was.  By far. The best Marvel superhero movie of all time. 

Just.  Wow.  So good. Here are my regrets/complaints because honestly, if you need anyone else telling you this movie is FUCKING MUST SEE NOW then you don't deserve to see it.

The "bad":
-If you salvated and got a hard on over every single preview & commercial you have seen a great deal of the movie.  Not the best parts mind you.  In fact not the best parts at all.  But during the beginning of the movie I sort of felt like: Hey speed it up, lets get to the new stuff I'd seen that humvee scene so many times.

-There could have been a tiny bit more subtlety, but for a summer comic book action movie, this was fucking mozart so stfu you fucking artfag movie prick.

-They shoehorn a little love story in there, but its well done, well acted and doesn't get in the way.

-Its not long enough, I would have watched another hour happily.

Really that's it, I'm out of ideas.  It was fucking bliss, it sucks to have summer blow its movie wad this early.  But Will Smith owes me big time for I Am Legend so perhaps his product this year will be as awesome as I expect from him.

*edit* lol bin = been
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:31:34 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #260 on: May 02, 2008, 01:15:46 PM

For the record I said on the onset it would be awesome, Schild still thinks it will be a piece of crap.
But hey, Schild has been incorrect about everything he has ever said about anything regarding movies, so maybe him saying this forced it to be an awesome movie.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #261 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:57 PM

I could have absorbed another hour of that too.

[edit] I liked the ending. Hope it doesn't change.

[edit]

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

-----------

The first real show of power (when he went back for the weapon caches, and pummeled those terrorists): I could have used another hour of that. Same goes for the traffic scene. I love the sound of metal smashing into things (which is why I'm all about a good old fashioned car crash movie as well).

Favreau (or whoever) is a freakin' tease when it comes to action choreography. It's great, but leaves you begging for more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:13:03 PM by Stray »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #262 on: May 02, 2008, 03:04:51 PM

I approve of this film.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: May 02, 2008, 03:43:45 PM

"Ok, so we're going to start off at 10% thrust capacity and achieve lift.  Ready. And Go."  WHOOMP.  I haven't had a laugh that good in months.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: May 02, 2008, 03:49:43 PM

This movie would have been PERFECT with about another half an hour of blowing shit up.

As it is it will simply be the best summer movie of the year, not not the best summer movie ever.

Batman, Hancock, Hulk, Ect. You all have a hell of an opening act to follow

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #265 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:07 PM

Ok I remembered my two ligit complaints with the movie:     SPOILERS MOTHERFUCKERS, I'd do boxes but they get fucked up often by the alternating colors.

1) The tactics employed in fights weren't great.  Not that they ever are.  My favorite movie is Way of the Gun because it seemed like someone put some thought into the gunplay.

2) The whole bit where the terrorists didn't notice he was building a giant robot suit but they did?  That was bad.  The bit where he flew into a sand dune and was fine except his arm also bugged me a little but at that point I was still very much in the "I've seen this part already mode" since I had watched the trailers and committed every minute to memory.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #266 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:24 PM

Just got back from watching this. Was ace. Not a fan of summer blockbusters but am a sad comics nerd so was torn. Trailers for Hellboy II, Dark Knight and Indy excited. Trailer for Hulk didn't.

The film: RDJ owned every second of this movie. He was the only actor in every scene he was in. It was like watching Nicholson. Blowing shit up was good. Stark was good. Managed to avoid the 'Hooray, we're America saving brown people from terrorists' vibe that I was afraid of. Gwyneth failed to irritate me like she normally does.

I hope Audi paid well for the obscene amount of product placement they got from this film. Not only is an R8 Stark's ride of choice, his assistant drives an A8 and in the fight on the freeway, while anonymous cars are getting flung around like confetti, the family driving a Q7 come safely to a stop in front of Jeff Bridges. Then they get flung through the air at Stark who catches them and puts them down safely so they can drive away. All the while interspersed with gratuitous shots of the grille in case you missed that driving an Audi will save you from getting killed by rampaging power armoured psycopaths.

Finally three words that really sorted the comic geeks from the action movie fans in the cinema:
Nick
Fucking
Fury

An Avengers movie? I am so there.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #267 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:45 PM

I can't even remember the tactics of Way of the Gun. Always wanted to check it again, maybe I will now. I do remember that hilarious fountain scene though.

I can't pinpoint anything specific as far as what kind of realistic tactics I've seen displayed in movies were.. I tend to just prefer form over function anyways. What's cinematic and looks good, not what's practical.  smiley I do know that I like action to be very drawn out. The last 15 minutes of the Road Warrior are the greatest in movie history to me. Or on the less explosive side of things, yet very drawn out -- Carlito's Way. The Grand Central sequence.

re: "1)" : They were stupid brown people. Of course they wouldn't notice.

[edit] Oh, and on a geeky note... Stark's computers kick ass.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:37:41 PM by Stray »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:11 PM

That was an awesome movie.  Two paws up.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #269 on: May 02, 2008, 09:37:09 PM

Did anyone else spend half the film wondering what The Dude was doing at a weapons manufacturer?
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #270 on: May 02, 2008, 11:09:29 PM

Saw it tonight.  Made of fucking win.  Huge crowd, which laughed and applauded.  Stayed til after the credits and everyone who was left was like screaming and cheering in the theater after the Nick Fury bit.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Llava
Contributor

Reply #271 on: May 03, 2008, 12:53:05 AM

No one in my theater seemed to know who the fuck Nick Fury is.

I was very pleased.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #272 on: May 03, 2008, 01:11:08 AM

Just got back from watching this. Was ace. Not a fan of summer blockbusters but am a sad comics nerd so was torn. Trailers for Hellboy II, Dark Knight and Indy excited. Trailer for Hulk didn't.

Some prints also have trailers for The Spirit, and I still haven't quite decided yet whether or not I like how it looks.  It's got pretty much the same visual style as Sin City, which is fine since I liked Sin City a lot, but the way the Spirit moves in the trailer looks kinda awkward and the voiceover is pretty cheesy.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #273 on: May 03, 2008, 01:50:35 AM

Mine had The Spirit.  Had a "Man we're trying so fucking hard to be cool!" vibe that I didn't dig.  And it had a trailer for Narnia 2: Electric Boogaloo or whatever.  I'm entirely fucking sick of magical English schoolchildren and giant medieval battles.

EDIT:  Does anyone else want to see an Avengers movie JUST to see Iron Man reacting to the others?  RDJ going "Oh, so you're Thor.  As in THE Thor.  Okay." and so forth would kill.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:05:40 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Llava
Contributor

Reply #274 on: May 03, 2008, 02:12:58 AM

I'd kill just to have a Toby Maguire cameo in a press conference.  No lines necessary.  In fact, no lines period.  Just show him as a photographer.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #275 on: May 03, 2008, 05:52:32 AM

EDIT:  Does anyone else want to see an Avengers movie JUST to see Iron Man reacting to the others?  RDJ going "Oh, so you're Thor.  As in THE Thor.  Okay." and so forth would kill.

Provided they follow events in the Ultimates series to some extent - Captain America being a tactical genius, the Hulk being used as a human bomb - then yes, it would be awesome.

My guess here is that Marvel Films is going to be linking ALL of their major releases together - Nick Fury in "Iron Man", Iron Man in "Hulk", and so on.

At the very least, it keeps Sam Jackson out of straight to DVD comedies.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #276 on: May 03, 2008, 06:47:06 AM

Hmm Avengers vs the Inhumans is probably a good way to ease into the Illuminati ? Not sure who's gonna play Blackbolt and Doc Strange though.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:58:34 AM by rk47 »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #277 on: May 03, 2008, 09:58:48 AM

Adrien Brody could pull off a doctor-turned-sorceror without being too corny.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #278 on: May 03, 2008, 10:05:57 PM

Saw it, liked it. The part with the crashing in to the sand really annoyed me. They could have so easily made it believable, and just didnt. That was crap. Other than that one part, I liked it.

Also, did anyone notice that his house was a great replica of his house from the comics?

Oh yeah, and Gweneth wasnt annoying.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #279 on: May 03, 2008, 11:46:12 PM

Me and the kido saw it this afternoon, two awesomes from us!

We stayed all the way till the end of the credits, Nick Mutherfukin' Fury! 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie  
Jump to: