Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ironman- The Movie  (Read 130134 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #315 on: May 05, 2008, 12:16:51 PM

Titus Pullo as Thor would be the bee's knees, provided the story isn't complete and utter shit. You know, like most of the Thor comics have been since Walt Simonson quit writing them back in the day. Thor is just a hard character to do. I'd much rather they skip the whole Donald Blake "God fallen to Earth" thing and do him like the Ultimates.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #316 on: May 05, 2008, 12:18:50 PM

According to IMDB, the guy rumoured to be cast as Thor is Kevin McKidd.

Only thing I've ever really seen him in was Rome.

He was in Dog Soldiers (great genre monster movie) and I think in Trainspotting?
And he was Father Deegan in Father Ted.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: May 05, 2008, 12:27:33 PM

Hmm Avengers vs the Inhumans is probably a good way to ease into the Illuminati ? Not sure who's gonna play Blackbolt and Doc Strange though.

(Terence, not Ironwood.)

Unfortunately he's old now.  (Again, Terence, not Ironwood.)

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #318 on: May 05, 2008, 12:38:22 PM

Of the two guys from Rome, I think they picked the wrong one.  Oh well, I still like him.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #319 on: May 05, 2008, 12:52:57 PM

Titus Pullo as Thor would be the bee's knees, provided the story isn't complete and utter shit. You know, like most of the Thor comics have been since Walt Simonson quit writing them back in the day. Thor is just a hard character to do. I'd much rather they skip the whole Donald Blake "God fallen to Earth" thing and do him like the Ultimates.

Not sure if it's a typo, but Pullo is Punisher, not Thor. The guy who played Verenus is Thor.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #320 on: May 05, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

Dude, Raul Julia is DEAD.

I choose to believe that he faked his own death after being in Street Fighter.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #321 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09:13 PM

Bah, either Pullo or Verenus would be a great Thor. Verenus is probably the better choice 'cos he's so pretty.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #322 on: May 05, 2008, 01:17:20 PM

I think I'm with Schild here. Aaron Eckhart could do anything. Fuck it, have him play both Cap and Thor. He did the whole biker thing in Erin Brockovich, I guess.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #323 on: May 05, 2008, 01:18:03 PM

Eckhart would be a fantastic Captain America. Not so much on the Thor, though. I don't see Norse God written on him.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #324 on: May 05, 2008, 06:38:15 PM

Thor was the only comic I consistently read  when I was a kid (mostly Simonson, but also the very start of DeFalco) so I'm somewhat stoked for the movie.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: May 06, 2008, 06:42:49 AM

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #326 on: May 06, 2008, 03:25:48 PM

From Yahoo:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.
I just reread that, the rest of their schedule looks interesting too - although you missed the weirdest one:

Spider-Man, the Musical         

Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment, SONY Pictures Entertainment.

In development/opening date to be determined; Julie Taymor director; music & lyrics by U2’s Bono and The Edge

swamp poop ACK! awesome, for real

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #327 on: May 09, 2008, 01:46:21 AM

A small bit of news on the upcoming movies:

"Thor" will be released about six weeks after "Iron Man 2," and Marvel is waiting for a script polish from scribe Mark Protosevich ("I Am Legend"). Matthew Vaughn no longer is attached to direct the project because his holding deal expired December.

"It's very much a Marvel superhero story but against the backdrop of nothing you've seen before," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said in describing "Thor" as a period fantasy in the vein of "The Lord of the Rings."

The "Captain America" project is looking for a rewrite as well as a director.

All of Marvel's movies, beginning with "Iron Man," are now being designed to lead up to the July 2011 release of "The Avengers," which will see Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor teaming up. The studio has Zak Penn on board to write the project, which he will do so in concert with the development of the other projects during the next year and a half.

"It will tie in with all the other films preceding it," Feige said. "Almost nothing is cooler than three or four of your favorite heroes coming together for some mega event

Not so sure I'm happy with the guy who did the screenplay for I am Legend writing Thor.  The Avengers movie also seems a little heavy on male superheroes if those 4 are the only characters that make it in (the Ant Man movie is still unscheduled so I wouldn't except to see the Wasp make it in).  I guess it could be worse though, like if they tried to shoehorn in Halle Berry as Storm or Jennifer Garner as Elektra.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #328 on: May 09, 2008, 05:38:01 AM

The Mandarin was definitely in it.  They never called him by name or gave you any reason to know about him unless you know the Iron Man story at all.  I liked how they handled it.

I was embarrassed that I didn't realize until after the movie that they referred to the group of warlords as the "Ten Rings".

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:11 AM

Stane and the middle eastern honcho were both wearing matching rings as well. It's fun having a comic book movie that doesn't force feed you everything.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #330 on: May 09, 2008, 07:33:35 AM

Hmm... RDJ in a buddy movie with Thor (McKidd?)? I don't see it happening!

Well, I've only seen McKidd in Rome and Kingdom of Heaven. Maybe it'd work, who knows. He just seems out of place with Robert Downey Jr. Both of his characters from those works were very morose (as is Thor). A little too morose.

If the Cap ends up being someone like Eckhart (or even, and don't shoot me for this...it's a name being dropped around.. Matthew McConaughey), that'd be funny.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #331 on: May 09, 2008, 08:06:03 AM

I like McConaughey, but fuck no, don't make his ass Captain America. Blearg.

McKidd was good in Journeyman (on TV). But his delivery is just a bit morose. I think he'll certainly bring dignity and a good amount of barey-controlled seething anger to the part.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #332 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:00 AM

Too bad the Avengers movie is going to have to be sans-Hulk because not only is he a shitty character, he's going to have had to terrible movies under his belt at that point & they haven't even managed to make him look good.  In fact the new Hulk is a step back from how he looked in the first one.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:38 PM

I would love a Marvel Zombies movie, but the suits would probably figure that their beloved heroes eating people would damage the brand.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #334 on: May 10, 2008, 12:30:38 AM

they should start consolidating the weaker hero movies (hulk / punisher/ daredevil) as a crossover. Let character intro take a backseat (which usually takes 1/3 of the movie length and slows it down), have a nice rumble that doesn't change the universe in a big way. Hulk vs Fantastic Four, Punisher vs Daredevil etc. I'm sure they can write something up and make it worthwhile for the viewers (2 heroes for the price of 1)

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: May 10, 2008, 11:54:40 AM

For me, the buildup of the hero origins are the best parts. It's pretty much why I loved Iron Man. Like you said, a Daredevil vs. Punisher movie would have potential for coolness. I wouldn't mind seeing Moon Knight vs. Werewolf By Night either. All those characters makes me think about how horrible the Batman franchise was for a while and how glutted Spider-Man became.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: May 11, 2008, 01:20:24 PM

Too bad the Avengers movie is going to have to be sans-Hulk because not only is he a shitty character, he's going to have had to terrible movies under his belt at that point & they haven't even managed to make him look good.  In fact the new Hulk is a step back from how he looked in the first one.

Wait, what? Sorry but I have to say that by and large people seem to think the incredible hulk is going to do real well. Now I'm not going to defend a movie that's not even out yet but lets not count our eggs before they're laid here. If iron man is any indication, marvel studios knows how to sell their own property.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #337 on: May 11, 2008, 09:53:52 PM

i just hope ironman is not heading into spiderman style of toy-fest. S-3 was horrible. I just rewatched it on DVD and it still pisses me off how Venom is 'forced' into the show and the comedy-fest of 'angry pete'. A little meteor dropped on a park where they're dating and nobody gave a shit? Amazing!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #338 on: May 12, 2008, 01:05:45 AM

I thought it was strange that Raimi was pretty adamant about not wanting Venom, and then turning around and putting him in there. There was an earlier script with Vulture apparently, and Ben Kingsley was in talks about it. As corny as Vulture is, it probably would have been better (by virtue of Sir Ben). And I highly doubt that he was forced to include Venom either -- he had a lot of control over the franchise. It must have been at the advice of his kids or something.

That said, after Goblin and Doc Ock, there wasn't much of anywhere to go but down anyways. Spidey has a lot of villains that just aren't fit for cinema (Sandman could have been with a better script maybe). The return of the Goblin could have been better, but that kid is only good at playing Harry (the xtreme snowboard didn't help either).

Iron Man has one good movie left in him.

But there is no such thing as a good trilogy.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:07:51 AM by Stray »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #339 on: May 12, 2008, 01:15:50 AM

There's a Mr. I. Jones and a Mr. J. McClane who'd like to disagree with you there.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #340 on: May 12, 2008, 01:17:23 AM

And I highly doubt that he was forced to include Venom either -- he had a lot of control over the franchise.

When a movie costs over $250 million to make, there are a lot of people that want to have some control over it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #341 on: May 12, 2008, 01:26:14 AM

There's a Mr. I. Jones and a Mr. J. McClane who'd like to disagree with you there.

I first saw Temple of Doom at age 7 -- on my birthday, no less -- an exciting and very forgiving day for a 7 seven year old -- and I still thought it sucked balls. And my opinion hasn't changed since. I do like 1 and 3, however.

John McClane... I'm torn. Diehard 1 = awesome. Really, beyond awesome.  awesome, for real

2 is different, but good..

3 is not exactly weak compared to most action flicks, but it is the weak spot in the series.

4 is some entertaining shit.

So OK then, it's a good trilogy then. The only one. But it is still a half-assed quadrilogy imo.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: May 12, 2008, 05:59:29 AM

4 is some entertaining shit.

4 is entertaining but it's not Die Hard. It's some neutered cartoony guy who vaguely resembles John McClane if you squint really hard.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #343 on: May 12, 2008, 06:15:40 AM

He's just aging a bit. He's still the same old smartass, invincible cop.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #344 on: May 12, 2008, 08:42:29 AM

I saw Temple of Doom over the weekend since USA played the trilogy all damn weekend. (And History Channel will next weekend.)   Oh dear god do I disagree with you on that one.  I thought it was OK when I saw it in 5th grade, but now?  Crap man, forget that one was ever made and just watch Raiders and Crusade.  Hopefuly Crystal Skull will be good and then I can agree on a good trilogy.

Seriously.. wtf is with an Indy movie opening with a musical number.  It's like the producer was fucking her or something.

And Spidey 3 would have been much better with just Sandman, or The Lizzard. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #345 on: May 12, 2008, 10:00:22 AM

I thought Die Hard 1, 2, and 3 were all great, fun movies.

I thought Die Hard 4 was a fucking horrible horrible horrible piece of shit.  That was hard to get through.

Then again, I also didn't mind the Temple of Doom (though it was obviously the weakest of the series).  The last 3rd of the movie helped make up for the rest of it, imo.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #346 on: May 12, 2008, 10:16:31 AM

Temple of Doom had its high points though.  Everything Short Round says is classic.  The fucking creepy guy in the village is awesome.  The political undercurrent about the British Empire?  Oooh, intellectualism!

Fuck Vulture, I want Scorpion or Ultron!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:06 AM

He's just aging a bit. He's still the same old smartass, invincible cop.

He dodged an attack fighter in a semi-truck. It went from John McClain to cartoon at that moment. It was a fun movie. But it wasn't in the Die Hard universe.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #348 on: May 12, 2008, 10:25:46 AM

Wait, you thought there was realism in the first 3 movies?
 DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #349 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:03 AM

Finally saw Iron Man over the weekend. FUCK YES. I had no complaints about it whatsoever. I would have liked to see more Happy Hogan, but only because I like John Favreau as an actor. Robert Downey, Jr. just nailed that role like the Romans nailed Jesus. Jeff Bridges as Stane was fucking brilliant as well. I really found no fault with the movie whatsoever and look forward to the sequel and the Avengers.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ironman- The Movie  
Jump to: