Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333828 times)
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: February 13, 2009, 12:58:19 PM

FYI for the omniscient denizens of F13, Paul Barnett was seconded to EA Mythic by Games Workshop. In other words, he ultimately reported to GW, not Mark Jacobs or the CEO of EA Mythic (which Mark is not).

We're all aware of who Mark Jacobs is and who he isn't, thanks.
Barnett disclosed some time ago that he would be returning to GW after WAR's launch. His sole responsibility while working with the staff of EA Mythic was to ensure that the game's content was consistent with the Warhammer IP, e.g. the appearance of the Chosen in WAR should be consistent with how GW has depicted Chosen in the past. He had nothing to do with the core design of the game.

Funny, it's been 3 months since WAR was released and he's still there.

You might also have noticed, if observant (which the lot of you clearly aren't), that GW retained full title and ownership of, and to, the Warhammer Online IPR. EA Mythic / EA only has a license for it. You might have remembered the demise of the prior incarnation of Warhammer Online, and how GW handled that, but alas, you have short memories and tunnel vision. Petulant children, the lot of you.

Yes, GW is ironfisted with it's lore as that is all it really has.  In  case you haven't noticed, we're not bitching about the lore.  We're bitching about the fact that Mythic took all the good stuff from DAoC, shredded and pissed on it, did some LSD, and then released a cheap, poorly done WoW clone and called it RvR.

Perhaps now you understand better why Paul seemed like a "loose cannon." Or more likely, you don't.

Your post was enlightening, but not relevant.  It doesn't change the fact that WAR has some major design flaws in it, and that Paul's videos on the web, regardless of who he reports to are annoying.  Unless GW has some hidden infliuence isn either of those, this post has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #106 on: February 13, 2009, 01:10:05 PM

Petulant children, the lot of you.

You want your teddy back?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #107 on: February 13, 2009, 01:28:11 PM

Not often somebody mentions Climax Studios now, reminded me of a recent post (only a couple of years ago) on Warhammer Alliance.

Quote from: Daehkcidasluap
Mythic are the second development company to work on Warhammer Online, They got the project based on an easy no outlay, commision based deal from Games Workshop!,

Our experiences of Paul Barnett were, he known nothing of the games industry and gets by with a little Warhammer knowledge, a little business knowledge and alot of verbal diarrhorea. It just seems very evident that in several years not much has changed lol.

When I mentioned games front, I should have said games development front. I WOULD be interested to here what Mythic has to say on what they are developing instead of the monkey on the Mythic grinder.

I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that ex members of Climax Studios might be enjoying what's currently happening.  Enjoying it that is, until they remember that their graphics looked a bit rough and pvp wasn't even a major focus of their planned title.

Edit but no, that's too interesting, TianZi (aka Tianzi38) doesn't appear to be an ex member of Climax, his main claim to fame appears to be having a level 60 Warrior in WoW.

Here's a quote from Tianzi38 about Mythic taking on Warhammer online back in 2005.

Quote from: Tianzi38
I am ecstatic to hear that Mythic has taken over the project and that the old team has been kicked. The only developer I'd have been more pleased to take over development would have been Blizzard.
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also this thread is absolutely wonderful.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:56:31 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:28 PM

It's beyond wonderful, I think splendiferous comes close to describing it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #109 on: February 13, 2009, 02:26:19 PM

He's like a Bizarro Hrose.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: February 13, 2009, 02:39:26 PM

Man, I don't remember the screenshots from the Climax version looking THAT bad. Wow.  swamp poop
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #111 on: February 13, 2009, 02:46:54 PM

linky

NCSoft: You have an indispensabe asset in Richard Garriott. In a field comprised almost entirely of unoriginal copycats, Richard is a standout creative genius who has given us RPG games of legendary stature: the early Ultima games. Those games ventured into previously uncharted territory by forcing the player to consider the potential ethical ramifications of their actions. I loved them and as a child played them when they were released.

The meddling of beancounters and plastic suits in Origin ruined the final few Ultima games. I've read Garriott's account of how it happened, and don't doubt it.

NCSoft, don't repeat Origin's errors. Believe in your man. Have faith in him. I do -- and so do many thousands of computer RPG fans.

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard at E3 this year. Although I am an insignificant nothing as far as the global gaming business goes, Richard kindly spent more than 10 minutes talking to me about Ultima, Tabula Rosa, and other topics. He is a wonderful man.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #112 on: February 13, 2009, 03:02:20 PM

I am an insignificant nothing

> Grief Title
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: February 13, 2009, 03:02:29 PM

linky

NCSoft: You have an indispensabe asset in Richard Garriott. In a field comprised almost entirely of unoriginal copycats, Richard is a standout creative genius who has given us RPG games of legendary stature: the early Ultima games. Those games ventured into previously uncharted territory by forcing the player to consider the potential ethical ramifications of their actions. I loved them and as a child played them when they were released.

The meddling of beancounters and plastic suits in Origin ruined the final few Ultima games. I've read Garriott's account of how it happened, and don't doubt it.

NCSoft, don't repeat Origin's errors. Believe in your man. Have faith in him. I do -- and so do many thousands of computer RPG fans.

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard at E3 this year. Although I am an insignificant nothing as far as the global gaming business goes, Richard kindly spent more than 10 minutes talking to me about Ultima, Tabula Rosa, and other topics. He is a wonderful man.

DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

LOL at the bromance
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:15 PM

Quote from: Arthur_Parke
  awesome, for real  awesome, for real  awesome, for real

Thanks for the great reading material!
schild
Administrator

Reply #115 on: February 13, 2009, 04:14:41 PM

> Grief Title
Too obvious and easy and no one wants him coming back anyway.
TianZi
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: February 13, 2009, 08:14:15 PM

> Grief Title
Too obvious and easy and no one wants him coming back anyway.

So how's that brilliant starvation diet working out, Schild? Still fat and lacking self-esteem? Thought so.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #117 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:29 PM

awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #118 on: February 13, 2009, 08:36:51 PM

I think it's a good angle to take. Fellating Garriott and Jacobs and shitting on a board admin.

Shame it's not particularly original.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 14, 2009, 02:14:18 AM

Popcorn
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #120 on: February 14, 2009, 06:07:58 AM

I'd just scratched the surface really.

Tianzi38 on Auto Assault Beta

The game concept is marvelous, and after experiencing the new build, I'm beginning to believe Auto Assault will successfully make the development leap from fantastic on paper to fantastic end-product. It is still too early to be certain that the game will fully deliver on its promise, but I've pre-ordered.

Tianzi38 on Jessica Mulligan and Peter Molyneux

What struck me most was that whole of Mulligan's presentation had the weight of one of the balloons floating over his head. Nothing like the brilliance which undeniably shines from designers like Peter Molyneux in any interview. Mulligan comes across much better in his writings; he is undeniably very bright, but not particularly gifted at thinking outside the box.

I must admit to wondering what the final outcome was, when Tianzi38's Taiwan law firm organised their class action lawsuit against Microsoft & Turbine, after he got IP banned from Turbine's forums.  All over AC2 of all things, I wonder if he will accept a life time AC2 subscription as settlement.

You may consider this as my notice to Microsoft and Turbine that I intend to compel them through appropriate channels to indemnify any losses suffered by myself and others similarly situated (including without limitation purchase price, additional shipping expenses, and hardware upgrades) permitted under Taiwan law and / or federal or state law in the US, including claims for punitive damages / penalties permitted under the laws of the jurisdiction(s) in question (including those which may be available under any consumer protection statute) resulting from any false and / or negligent misrepresentations, and other tortious and / or illegal or prohibited acts, of Microsoft and Turbine.

Given the levels of comedy crazy involved here, I guess it's not really surprising that TianZi doesn't know who is in charge at EA Mythic, or more accurately, Mythic and appears to be under some illusions as to who Paul actually works for.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #121 on: February 14, 2009, 06:08:45 AM

Barnett disclosed some time ago that he would be returning to GW after WAR's launch. His sole responsibility while working with the staff of EA Mythic was to ensure that the game's content was consistent with the Warhammer IP, e.g. the appearance of the Chosen in WAR should be consistent with how GW has depicted Chosen in the past. He had nothing to do with the core design of the game.

That might have been true until the climbed the ladder at Mythic and became Creative Director. With hiring and firing powers - the whole "burn the heretic; three-star talent and five-star drive" thing.

He's GW and he's Mythic and he's a consultant. He can leave Mythic and go back to GW with (true or not) tales of how Jacobs is completely to blame here. Or go back to being a consultant on a higher wage because he's been the Creative Director at a multi-million dollar company.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:10:44 AM by UnSub »

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 14, 2009, 06:39:50 AM

That's some delicious crazy right there.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 14, 2009, 07:28:16 AM

Since UnSub linked it...

Quote from: MMOG Nation
MMOG Nation: For folks who don’t necessarily have a good grasp of where you’re coming from, could you give us a sense of what led you to your position [Creative Director] on the Warhammer project?

Paul Barnett: Complete flukes, and mistakes and bureaucratic errors, and the inability for someone to look at the work I’ve done and realize I’m a charlatan and a fraud. How does that sound?

I wouldn't even know where to start with the green, if we still used green.

The thing is... I liked Paul's rants, I liked his enthusiasm and theoretical direction the game was going... I had high hopes.  Then I got in to beta in 2007 and could only scratch my head (until head-scratching was forbidden to beta testers).

I liked DAoC, Mythic, Mark, Paul, the worker bees and the server hampsters.  I have no axe to grind, only love to give.

But there's a pooch in the room with a bleeding asshole... I'm not close enough to know who at Mythic has the bloody dick, but I suspect there are more than a few who would be afraid to lower their trousers.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 14, 2009, 08:58:38 AM

Oh MY! Sister, the claws are out!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:59 AM

Purposefully getting Jessica's pronouns wrong?  What a classy guy this TianZi is.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:18 PM

Well it's been a month and a half since the last subs number was tallied. Anyone guessing the over-under of 300,000 currently?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: February 14, 2009, 01:08:10 PM

Well it's been a month and a half since the last subs number was tallied. Anyone guessing the over-under of 300,000 currently?

Around 250k is my guess.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #128 on: February 14, 2009, 05:41:28 PM

(Starfucker Crazy)

Holy shit. That fucker humps more leg than both my male dogs.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #129 on: February 14, 2009, 07:09:25 PM

(Starfucker Crazy)

Holy shit. That fucker humps more leg than both my male dogs.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
TianZi
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: February 15, 2009, 11:23:14 PM

Nice try, but I am not the vn board user tianzi38. "Tianzi" is a common user name for people who speak Chinese, just as "Archangel", etc. is for people who speak English.

Wiki:

Tianzi, a pinyin of the title (天子) used to describe the Emperor of China

Google the term.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:26:56 PM by TianZi »
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #131 on: February 16, 2009, 12:19:49 AM

Nice try, but I am not the vn board user tianzi38. "Tianzi" is a common user name for people who speak Chinese, just as "Archangel", etc. is for people who speak English.

Wiki:

Tianzi, a pinyin of the title (天子) used to describe the Emperor of China

Google the term.

You didn't hide your email address in your f13 profile, although you have now, tianzi38 gave the exact same email address in this vn post.  Feel free to tell me that sharing one email address is also a common thing for people who speak Chinese.  I'd link your warhammer alliance profile and the post where you got the name of Mythic's CEO wrong, but this is more fun.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #132 on: February 16, 2009, 12:21:57 AM

f13.net

internet detectives

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 16, 2009, 02:00:05 AM

This thread is suddenly going places.  And AP earns his title once again.  awesome, for real

I did think all Chinese people shared one email address on the one computer in the country.  Is this not the case?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #134 on: February 16, 2009, 02:12:58 AM

He's not Chinese, he just speaks it.  I believe he's from the USA but lives in Taiwan.  It's 100% definitely the same person, his email address from f13 gave the vn post as the first google hit, that's why I quoted it in the first post, so tracking him wasn't in any way difficult.  I never expected him to be crazy enough to deny it though.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #135 on: February 16, 2009, 03:26:48 AM

Ho ho ho, I'd stop now if I were you.

Or not. This thread is looking up.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #136 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:57 AM

He's not Chinese, he just speaks it.  I believe he's from the USA but lives in Taiwan.  It's 100% definitely the same person, his email address from f13 gave the vn post as the first google hit, that's why I quoted it in the first post, so tracking him wasn't in any way difficult.  I never expected him to be crazy enough to deny it though.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah, that's some bigtime  swamp poop.  I'd done the same search Friday while bored at work, I just didn't post the results. I figured anyone interested could have clicked his profile, found the e-mail and done the same thing.. well until he hid it. 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 16, 2009, 05:43:10 AM

snap
Gorky
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: February 16, 2009, 05:43:49 AM

Ugh, you could'nt have just kept quite while he posted some more gems could you? way to go spoil my day. Had great expectations from our visitor. Next time, just keep quite, giggling to yourself and after we've wrung all the fun from them, THEN go TA-DAA! Gotcha!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: February 16, 2009, 05:48:39 AM

Ugh, you could'nt have just kept quite while he posted some more gems could you? way to go spoil my day. Had great expectations from our visitor. Next time, just keep quite, giggling to yourself and after we've wrung all the fun from them, THEN go TA-DAA! Gotcha!

Sometimes you can bring them to a boil after only they post only once or twice.  If we're lucky, he'll blog about how meanly he was treated and then have his boyfriend post in the thread about how we can nuke the website and as proof here are some leftover read-only scripts from the site's backend! 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: