Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:06:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 617740 times)
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #910 on: November 29, 2008, 08:11:07 AM

I'm not sure even Age of Conan got that cheap that fast. More signs that this game is tanking IMHO.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #911 on: November 29, 2008, 09:01:19 AM

Oh wow yeah... not even Tabula Rasa went that cheap that fast. Hm...
Votan
Terracotta Army

Reply #912 on: November 29, 2008, 10:18:45 AM

I have never seen a new MMO go that low that fast....Ultima Onlines Samurai expansion is $12.99 on Amazon and that was going to be canceled according to MJ...maybe they will cancel both of them at the same time now.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #913 on: November 29, 2008, 10:28:53 AM

Most of the fanbois are screaming it was just a Black Friday sale, so any other games sell for that low on Friday? I didnt see WotLK or even Burning Crusades for that low...
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #914 on: November 29, 2008, 06:04:13 PM

WoW Warchest was 15 or 20. L4D was 20. So, yeah, it may have just been Black Friday. Amazon was running a ton of really good specials on games.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #915 on: November 29, 2008, 06:17:19 PM

The game card is now $27.99, so that probably was a Black Friday sale. The game is $25, which is still pretty cheap so soon after release.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #916 on: November 30, 2008, 04:58:47 AM

Is it true that in the US, some servers no longer display in the server list unless you press a "more" button.  Also these same servers cannot be selected for creating a character?  If all that's true someone do me a favour and grab the number of servers involved, doubt we are going to see an official statement on it.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #917 on: November 30, 2008, 05:19:22 AM

That's what I have heard as well, the old source servers can be played if you had a character there but you cannot select them to roll anything new. I dont have an active account or I'd go through and check. I'd love to see verification of this and if it does encompass all the old source servers...
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #918 on: November 30, 2008, 07:49:23 AM

Is it true that in the US, some servers no longer display in the server list unless you press a "more" button.  Also these same servers cannot be selected for creating a character
Confirmed

55 servers total, 27 servers normally displayed, 28 only shown when you click 'more'. I cannot create a character on any of the hidden servers
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #919 on: November 30, 2008, 07:57:24 AM

Not even a question of not being able to create a character. You can't even SELECT those servers.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #920 on: November 30, 2008, 07:57:57 AM

If you already have a character on a "hidden" server can you create additional characters on that same server?
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #921 on: November 30, 2008, 08:07:54 AM

Odds MJ or Mythic officially remark on this at all ?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #922 on: November 30, 2008, 08:15:11 AM

Odds MJ or Mythic officially remark on this at all ?

Probably about the same that Funcom will comment on all their servers being at medium pop.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #923 on: November 30, 2008, 08:37:09 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, that's brutal. So 50% of their servers are going to effectively be shut down within Mark's time line, or shortly after.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #924 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:19 AM

If you already have a character on a "hidden" server can you create additional characters on that same server?
No clue on that one, my guys are all on Praag and Volkmar.

Edited for my favorite bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbm0kN7mFyE
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:33:40 AM by ashrik »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #925 on: November 30, 2008, 11:53:59 AM

I have never seen a new MMO go that low that fast....Ultima Onlines Samurai expansion is $12.99 on Amazon and that was going to be canceled according to MJ...maybe they will cancel both of them at the same time now.

That's not the upcoming UO expansion, it's one from 4 years ago, which just makes it all the more hilarious.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #926 on: November 30, 2008, 04:21:17 PM

That's not the upcoming UO expansion, it's one from 4 years ago, which just makes it all the more hilarious.

Beat me to it.  Pretty damn funny lol. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #927 on: November 30, 2008, 07:40:13 PM

You are in love with that Techno Viking, aren't you?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #928 on: December 01, 2008, 12:39:12 AM

People who don't love Eberron clearly don't get Eberron. I fuckin' love that setting.

Also, WAR makes me sad. :(

God Save the Horn Players
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #929 on: December 01, 2008, 06:23:44 AM

I'm actually enjoying WAR a lot now, compared to before

now that the server transfers went through, T4 PvP actually is all over. Just this weekend we made a push to take a capital (and got crushed) but it was great fun. I hear lower tiers are still pretty empty, but I never understood how, after several months post-release how anyone could expect anything else
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #930 on: December 01, 2008, 07:17:45 AM

I hear lower tiers are still pretty empty, but I never understood how, after several months post-release how anyone could expect anything else

Maybe because anyone with an ounce of foresight would see this as terrible implementation?  If the lower tiers are empty this requires either a) a change in implementation to get the lower level players involved or b) a MUCH faster leveling curve such that players can get to TEH FUN faster.  See 875367489 other pages of complaints on this very issue.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #931 on: December 01, 2008, 07:25:45 AM

Lower teir suffers the same problems as the T4 but T4 has level 40 players who have nothing else to do.  Where as T1-3 have scenario and quest grinding to do instead.  Really like the idea T1 RvR, but Mythic never thought things through.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #932 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:53 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #933 on: December 01, 2008, 11:59:25 AM

Uh, i think that means for the "used copy's".

The game card is now $27.99, so that probably was a Black Friday sale. The game is $25, which is still pretty cheap so soon after release.

gamerjock
Terracotta Army

Reply #934 on: December 03, 2008, 07:48:02 AM

There is no steam in Eberron dammit!

Kettles haven't been invented then?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Oh I'm sorry, magical f-in trains and robot men that actually have feelings...Warforged I believe they were called...I'm sure they were made by magic aka golems but still the concept is robots with free will yada yada and hey take a ride on the magical Reading Railroad! 
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #935 on: December 04, 2008, 01:46:44 PM

Has anyone figured out yet where Mark pulled 800 players out of his ass and said they were all doing T4 RvR and didn't crash the server? They keep dodging the question on the VN and elsewhere. I am seeing that they are crashing Forts repeatedly with as little as 200 total.

I just can't seem to get a straight answer... 800 is probably more players then most (even the most populated) servers have in T4 all together right now.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #936 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:32 PM

Has anyone figured out yet where Mark pulled 800 players out of his ass and said they were all doing T4 RvR and didn't crash the server? They keep dodging the question on the VN and elsewhere. I am seeing that they are crashing Forts repeatedly with as little as 200 total.

I just can't seem to get a straight answer... 800 is probably more players then most (even the most populated) servers have in T4 all together right now.

what?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #937 on: December 04, 2008, 03:45:36 PM

http://war.tumeroks.com/blog/warhammer-800-man-epic-rvr-battle-fix-from-mark-jacobs/

Per Mark's quote...

"...Last night for example we had about 800 people descend on one fortress at the same time."

I can't pin down where this was.

The VN link as well: http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/109556050/p1/?75
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:48:14 PM by Bismallah »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #938 on: December 04, 2008, 04:42:02 PM

Quote from: Mark Jacobs
Last night for example we had about 800 people descend on one fortress at the same time

You know, in the current marketplace I find it utterly impossible to be excited by shit like this from WAR given what EVE (a 5 year old game!) offers me. (see link in sig)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #939 on: December 09, 2008, 01:30:35 AM

Linky1  Linky2

Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian has predicted that jobs and franchises could be cut at EA as a number of the publisher's games are failing to meet sales targets.
"In addition, we are lowering our expectations for the Need for Speed franchise, follow-on sales of Spore and Warhammer Online, and assuming more modest growth for the EA Sports segment," he added.

Electronic Arts is likely to cut franchise titles -- and possibly even further staff -- as part of ongoing cost-cutting measures, says Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian, who believes the publisher's titles are not meeting estimates.

"Specifically, we believe several EA titles are tracking below plan at retail this holiday, including Need for Speed Undercover (with disappointing reviews), new franchise Mirror's Edge, and Rock Band 2," said Sebastian, as he lowered his estimates for the company's third fiscal quarter revenue slightly from $2.14 billion to $2.07 billion.
"We believe further cost and franchise reductions are likely," said Sebastian. "Importantly, we believe EA is continuing to review its cost structure and franchise base, and it is possible that management will announce further cuts in headcount and the development pipeline (including existing franchises) over the coming quarters."

Sebastian's prediction is consistent not only with EA's own admitted cost management plans, but with CEO John Riccitiello's assertion that killing underperforming projects in development is essential to overall portfolio quality. He recently told Gamasutra that "EA will kill a game or two a year. Forever," as he discussed the recent cancellation of Tiberium.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #940 on: December 09, 2008, 04:35:57 AM

Interesting.  Sounds like EA is having trouble across the board which means issues on the management end in addition to poor sales. 

I would predict they would cut MMOs earlier than other titles due to the maintenance and ongoing support (i.e. overhead) that are needed, but if poor management is an issue then I suppose they could do anything.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #941 on: December 12, 2008, 10:19:49 PM

It's a shame, in many ways, since EA is no longer producing the derivitive slop that it used to.

There are exceptions, of course. Still, I find the whole thing sadly ironic.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:46:01 PM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
chargerrich
Terracotta Army

Reply #942 on: December 16, 2008, 12:52:42 PM

As someone who seriously wanted to love Warhammer but has now cancelled and gone back for seconds of Warcraft (and having a blast with the expansion after a 3 month hiatus) it seems so clear to me that Warhammer was simply not ready.

I think on this, most of us can agree.

I went into WAR with rose colored glasses and overlooked many "polish" items because I "wanted" WAR to do well. However now that I have left, I see all the warts in addition to all the simply bad design choices like scenarios yielding better xp than open RvR and the mindnumbing "Brad McQuaid" style Tier 3-4 grinding.

To be honest, now they could make it the easiest leveling MMO on the planet and make RvR yield 10x more xp and I would not go back...BUT THEY HAD ME and problably thousands more but let us go.

That makes me ponder the two fatal deciscions that many developers have made in the past:

1. releasing a game before it is ready
2. not listening to the beta testers

Now perhaps EA and Mythic wanted to release in advance of WotLK, but either way the revenue potential that this game has forever lost must dwarf (no pun intended) the early revenue gained by launching the product in September.

I understand there are corporate/financial forces at play but at some point, developers need to learn from past failures or be doomed to repeat them.

You do not hear blizzard announcing dates until very late in the process and surprisingly their products are finished, polished and successful.

Edit by schild: Merged into an existing thread, there was NO REASON for this to be it's own thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:02:20 PM by schild »
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #943 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:28 PM

That makes me ponder the two fatal deciscions that many developers have made in the past:

1. releasing a game before it is ready
2. not listening to the beta testers

Both complaints made against WoW at it's launch.

I'd like to think we can dig a little deeper than that.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #944 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:17 AM

Maybe not deeper but the cause of those symptoms (not ready, not listening):

1. Mythic didn't have the right vision for the game. They weren't going to out-WoW WoW.
2. Beta told them they didn't and it should have been more like a DAoC II to cater to their strengths (and not WoW's).
3. Mythic half-heartedly tried to add stuff like keeps and ORvR-tinged features, but waaaay too late to do it right
4. The normal "release too early" that most games today seem to do was doubly bad for Mythic due to the above sequence
5. They didn't seem to be listening because by the time they recognized they were up a creek and didn't design the fundamentals of the game right, the only thing they felt they could do was stick their head in the sand, so as not to hear the cries and lamentations...
6. It is not that they don't listen, they can't afford to be seen as listening. They know they cannot make WAR what it should be, so not listening seems like the lesser evil compared to admitting they listen but can't do shit about it

Basic board game design should have reminded them why a 3-way realm war in DAoC was a better choice to favor better gameplay balancing. Same reason games like Diplomacy are fun. And the reason games like Monopoly suck with 2 people.

In fact, they did a lot of the hard work of 3-way content dev with the pariings, but didn't carry the 3-way tension into ORvR. NOrmally the defense against N-way is "oh, that's N times the content" at least for PvE leveling.

Two people in an elevator and one farts, nothing interesting. But three people gives it a chance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:26:49 AM by Redgiant »

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: