Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 619023 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: October 17, 2008, 06:40:52 AM

Linky

Quote from: Mark Jacobs
Folks,

After over three years of work and one of the smoothest launches in MMORPG history, WAR is moving quickly towards the end of its first month.  This is a perfect time to take a look at where we were, where we are and where we are going.  First, on behalf of everyone at Mythic, I would like to thank you for your interest in our game.  While it is impossible for me to personally thank all 750K+ worldwide account holders, please know that we are grateful for your support to date and the support we hope you will show us in the future.  It’s been a long road to get where we are today but it has been a worthwhile journey.  While I might be tempted to say that the future’s so bright we have to wear shades, as you’ve seen from our podcasts, we’ll even wear those indoors. 

So, as to where we are today, WAR is doing fabulously.  We are one of, if not the, fastest selling MMORPG out of the blocks and we are also one of the most highly rated MMORPGs of all time.  While the game is off to a great start, we still have a long way to go before we can declare WAR a major long-term success.  That success will only come by being focused on making a great game even better. How we are going to accomplish this begins with our first major patch (1.1), the subject of this State of the Game message.  While WAR is truly a glorious MMORPG, it is not perfect and over the last month our primary focus has been to correct bugs and tweak a few things here and there.  We’ve stayed away from major feature or career changes until we’ve had plenty of time to gather and analyze the data from our players.  Having done that, we can now move on to what we are going to do over the next couple of months, culminating with the release of patch 1.1 later this Fall.

Let’s start with what we know is some truly exciting news.  I’m happy to announce that in December, the Black Guard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun will officially be part of WAR.  We have very special plans around their appearance and in our next newsletter we will provide full details about that exciting and rather novel event.  When they were cut from the game launch plans earlier this year, I said that the Black Guard and the Knight would be part of WAR only when they were great and deserved their place alongside all of WAR’s other compelling classes.  I also said that we would not charge any additional fees for this new content or put it in a separate expansion pack; that’s not how we operate.  We’ve kept to that plan and with the introduction of these two classes, Mythic shows that once again we are happy to keep giving players more value for their subscription dollars than any other MMORPG developer.

Creating an MMORPG, especially an RvR-focused MMORPG, which runs perfectly on all types of PCs, is one of the most challenging technical aspects of game development.  While the performance of WAR is great on most higher spec machines, we know that we can improve its performance on lower spec machines.  We’ve been working non-stop to improve that performance and we’ve got a number of things going into the game between now and 1.1 that we expect will help to address everything from crashes to desktops (CTDs) to stuttering.  We have a number of other client changes that will improve things such as propagation and ghosting.

Thanks in part to WAR’s success; our mail system that worked well in Beta has been straining to keep up with the heavy demand placed on it.  It’s functional and it works, but it can also be slow and cumbersome to use.  In all fairness to the team, the system’s problems have been magnified by the demand of having so many servers and players using it at the same time.  That’s not an excuse though and we are working hard on deploying a substantially improved mail system for this patch. We will continue to enhance WAR’s mail system until it is one of the best mail systems found in any MMORPG.

Moving on to some more good news for our RvR players; we have brought additional resources to bear on, and augment, our RvR gear and overall itemization.  In 1.1 (and beyond) we will be doing a myriad of things for our RvR players, including improving gear drops, increasing drop rates, and implementing an RvR-influence system to compliment the current PvE-influence system.  We will also be giving players more incentive to engage in open RvR by improving the rewards for both assaulting and defending in RvR.  WAR is an RvR-centric game and we will continue to do whatever is necessary to encourage people to join in RvR and reward them when they do so.

Other changes for 1.1 include major additions to the chat system (item linking and more) as well as continued work on our targeting system, including adding Main Assist and Target of Target.  In addition to the server balancing methods that have worked so well over the last week, we will also be offering the first server transfers to our players to continue to help even out the server populations.  These transfers will be free of charge but they will be limited to moves off high-population servers to select mid-population servers or off of low-population servers to a selection of mid-population servers. Much like we are doing now, we will select certain mid-population servers and let people transfer there.  Once they reach a certain population level, we’ll remove them from the list and give their spot to another server.  We will publish the list ahead of time so players can plan their moves accordingly.

While that might seem like a lot for a month, we’re not done yet! We’ll also be adding more exciting content to the game, including fourteen entirely new quest chains, two new Lairs, and many more Tome of Knowledge unlocks!  This is only the first of what will be our ongoing content updates to WAR and it is a great start.

So, that about wraps it up for this first annual State of the Game, so without further ado…

Okay, so I was joking, we’re still not done.  Over the last month the team has been looking at all the careers and building up a list of issues/concerns to address.  Almost every career is going to see some changes and love coming their way and there are very, very few changes that will be seen as reductions to a career’s abilities.  The Combat and Careers team has spent the last month looking at the changes that they want to make with an eye towards making improvements and buffs, not removing or weakening abilities.  I won’t go into details here but the vast majority of careers all have nothing but love coming their way.  Of course, we will continue to monitor and track all the class data so expect, like every other MMORPG, changes to the careers to be an ongoing process.

Well, that just about wraps my first WAR State of the Game and I hope that it has given you some insight into what we are going to be doing over the next month or so.  This is by no means a comprehensive list of everything we are working on and I won’t go anywhere near talking about general bug fixes.  The items mentioned above are just some of the highlights of our first major patch and I hope you agree that there is a ton of good stuff coming down the pipeline.

As required by lawyers everywhere, here’s the usual disclaimer that this letter is a guide to what we hope to include in this upcoming patch and not a guarantee of any kind. We are working on many things right now and my letters, as always, are just the tip of the iceberg.  Fellow WARriors, we have a lot more big surprises coming your way that I will address in my next State of the Game message and it’s going to be a doozie.

Once again, I thank you for your support, patronage and interest in WAR.

Mark Jacobs

VP, GM Mythic Entertainment

Hmm, I was hoping for some kind of "invite a friend" system to help balance the servers.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:12 AM

"Moving on to some more good news for our RvR players".

What other kind of players do they have? Do they seriously think there are other kinds of Warhammer players? "For our players who prefer PvE" is like McDonald's announcing a new line of fast food for vegans who only eat bok choy and lentils.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:49:27 AM

Good to hear that the missing tanks will be coming back sooner than later and that itemization is going to be addressed. Amusing that he accidentally (?) called it "first annual State of the Game" - or is that accurate given Mythic's legendary disdain for communication?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:51:21 AM

Good to hear that the missing tanks will be coming back sooner than later and that itemization is going to be addressed. Amusing that he accidentally (?) called it "first annual State of the Game" - or is that accurate given Mythic's legendary disdain for communication?

Somebody on vn boards mentioned something about it being once a year, I didn't see the quote myself though so I'll try to track it down.

These transfers will be free of charge but they will be limited to moves off high-population servers to select mid-population servers or off of low-population servers to a selection of mid-population servers.

Let me be the first to say server merges.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:13:21 AM

Doesn't moving off of low pop servers seem like an idea that will make those low pop servers even worse? Unless, of course, they really mean server merges. Curious.

Adding in the new tanks? Good. Don't really care about the new lairs and Tome unlocks yet, because really... they are much less important than the RVR changes. If it means the RVR changes come quicker, forget the PVE stuff. PLEASE.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:33 AM

Doesn't moving off of low pop servers seem like an idea that will make those low pop servers even worse? Unless, of course, they really mean server merges. Curious.

That's kind of the point of offering free transfers off those servers though isn't it?  I mean if things get worse at least you have an out now.  And it's probably for guilds and individuals if they can chose the servers they get transferred to instead of being party to a merge.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 07:40:46 AM

But shouldn't everyone just be moved from High to low instead of medium? If you're going to offer moves off of low servers, you might as well just close those servers and forcibly move those communities onto medium servers, because if the lows are ghost towns NOW, wait until 1/4 of the meager population moves off of them.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:42:15 AM

In all fairness to the team, the system’s problems have been magnified by the demand of having so many servers and players using it at the same time.

is it common to use one server to handle mail for all your game servers?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:23 AM

Server mergers send a bad signal this soon after release.  Offering free character movement sounds much nicer.  

You're right Haem, consolidating wholesale is the best solution.  I think they are balking at the image it could produce.  

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:55:55 AM

Which servers are too highly populated? I'm on one of the original servers that got cloned and it could use a few more now.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:18:08 AM

No Choppa  Heartbreak

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 08:20:59 AM

But shouldn't everyone just be moved from High to low instead of medium? If you're going to offer moves off of low servers, you might as well just close those servers and forcibly move those communities onto medium servers, because if the lows are ghost towns NOW, wait until 1/4 of the meager population moves off of them.

Nobody wants to move from high pop to low pop.  They tried that with the clones and it just didn't work.  High to medium might not be very attractive either, but again it's an option (unnecessary though it may be).

I guess I just don't see the problem.  If I was on a ghost town server and a quarter of the people picked up and left I wouldn't be sitting on my hands bemoaning the lack of players.  I'd hit /transfer as well.  And I expect the other three quarters would do the same.  You'll have a choice where to take yourself or guild without being merged on a server you don't really want to go to.  If those servers are left with 2 holdouts running Phoenix Gate against each other, good for them, that's the choice they made and they can leave whenever they want.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 08:22:29 AM

In all fairness to the team, the system’s problems have been magnified by the demand of having so many servers and players using it at the same time.

Common systems are normally a server just for it, like chat, DB, and mail AFAIK.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 08:23:05 AM

Server merges lead to their own set of problems and don't always guarantee proper population balance. At least this is what I've been witness to in the past when having been a part of a merger. I like it this way because you're not forced to join with another specific server but can freely choose your destination (obviously within limits) or choose not to transfer at all..

I think it's worth a try anyways and if it doesn't work, then they'll either have to make up something else or go with server mergers at that time. I'm also positive this is an attempt to avoid saying those dreaded words of "server merge". I'm cool with having the choice, though.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 08:23:43 AM

GAH! Fail on my part. Hit quote instead of modify.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 08:36:17 AM

linky

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Well, thanks everyone for having the reaction I thought you all would:

1) Trolls - OMG, is this all there is? WTF, addition of two new classes, new content, new influence system, mail system fix, class balances and more, to the game? Is that all you guys can deliver in a month? Yawn

2) Objective folks - Sounds good but still need to deliver on it as well as the other issues with the game!

3) Fans - YIPEE!

So, to the trolls, well, you've shown why you should continue to be ignored here. Please show me another MMORPG which has added new classes to the game without charging the players through an expansion pack. I can't think of one right now but even if there is one that I am forgetting, the vast majority don't. I made a promise that when we cut the content, that it would come back as part of the ongoing patches and not charge players. I'm not surprised that the people who said that when we cut it out, that Mythic would bring it back and charge for it. Well, I kept my promise and I seriously doubt that any of the people who said we were going to charge for it will have the decency to admit they were wrong about me/Mythic once again.

As to the objective folks and the fans, well, this is only part of what will be in 1.1 but we will continue to patch as quickly as we have been the last week. We've already got 1.0.4 in the hopper and I hope we will be able to continue to do a patch a week until 1.1. We have a lot more going in during this time and over the coming weeks I'll talk about our other longer term objectives for the game. We have a lot to talk about and this is only the beginning of some major additions we are going to be making to the game.

As to not going into a lot of detail about the classes or the event surrounding that introduction, we'll be doing that in our next newsletter.   My SoGs are not intended to go into great detail about every thing in them. Since the DAoC days I have been using them to present an overview of the game in terms of where it stands and where we hope to go with it in the near future. They are not intended to be War and Peace, but simply as the title says "State of the Game."

So, expect a lot more from us over the coming weeks in terms of patches, bug fixes, balancing, etc. We're in this for the long haul and as I said in an interview yesterday, success in the MMO world should be seen as a marathon and not a sprint. We're off to a great start but we're not there yet. No successful MMORPG hit its peak within the first year, let alone the first month and that's the approach we're taking with WAR. Tons of new stuff coming and I expect to do more SoGs in the next 9 months to talk about them.

Mark

Mark needs to chill out a bit.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:14 AM

I'm having many flashbacks to 6 years ago.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 08:40:03 AM

Ugh. I was really expecting something interesting.

Instead now I know now I'll wait two full months to get new classes I couldn't care less and better loot, that sits at the very, very bottom of my list of priorities.

The only hope is Open RvR, and even there he made sure to not say anything concrete. Nor anything about when we can expect SOMETHING.

For those players who were on the brink of canceling I don't think this message will do any good. It basically says: we are doing great and continue doing what we've been doing. No surprises.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 08:41:35 AM

He needs to stop talking.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 08:46:18 AM

He needs to stop talking.

Lum needs new material, for the children.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:34 AM

Please show me another MMORPG which has added new classes to the game without charging the players through an expansion pack.

Horizons. Yeah, that's not the best company to be keeping there. Hey, he asked.

There's no reason that you can't. If you were considering the number of simultaneous users that WoW China or Lineage Korea has, you might want to distribute it or build a cluster to allow you to use commodity hardware and simpler storage solutions. I've built bigger mail systems that handle more users than than WAR's before - the tools are fairly trivial to implement even on monolithic mainframe and minicomputer systems. The. Speed. Of. WAR's. Mail. Suggests... ... ... That. They... Are. Constrained. By. Database... Writes. Or. Something... Equally. Ugly.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:22:15 AM by Righ »

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 09:22:20 AM

Please show me another MMORPG which has added new classes to the game without charging the players through an expansion pack.

Also the classes were just getting finished off, not made from scratch for free (WaR).

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 09:26:52 AM

EQ2 Frogloks, that wasn't an expansion was it? nevermind
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 09:33:19 AM

"I also said that we would not charge any additional fees for this new content or put it in a separate expansion pack; that’s not how we operate. We’ve kept to that plan and with the introduction of these two classes, Mythic shows that once again we are happy to keep giving players more value for their subscription dollars than any other MMORPG developer."

Mythic has to be real careful saying that.  The company that wins HANDS DOWN for added content free of charge is Turbine with LOTRO.  This content they are adding was taken out before release because it wasn't ready and everyone knows that.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:46 AM

Wasn't there like 600k people in the beta? Considering how close that is to 750k, you've got (again, since I said this earlier) a lot of people who know that a lot of the future features announced were those always planned and in some cases half done but cut. So when MJ gets called on this, it isn't because "trolls" are disappointed there's not more. It's because they're not seeing actual current issues being specifically mentioned as being specifically addressed.

I feel for MJ but agree with others here. Do NOT get in an internet argument, particularly when you don't have o-boards. You'll never convince anyone, and your redname posts will always be bug lights by nature. It's not worth your stress nor potential brand/IP/company dilution.

It's too early to talk server merges. While I've never felt an MMO is a good holiday gift, WAR is the only one with a good shot of benefitting from a big uptick between now and Christmas. As such, they could still break the million-person actual paying subscriber mark, which could change the face of the game a bit. Already their character creation screen is pretty aggressive at recommending servers and factions. If they can get a surge of new invites that are coming alone or in small groups, maybe they can hope to funnel people the right way.

If not though, then they're really going to need to make some unpopular population balancing tricks. Otherwise they'll fall into the old school trap of 27 different rules-type servers and further player compartmentalization at odds with a type of game that requires funneling to let players do what they've come here for.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

Few things.

First off WAR is not getting a million subs ANY time soon. The very fact MJ is so unhinged makes me believe that they have already started to hemmorage from that 750k instead of seeing steady growth. Not that 300-500k isn't a respectable number but I bet you MJ thought 1mil was gonna be easy.  You know for all the talk of "blizzard really grew the industry" I think other developers think they can just put out the same medium-rare mmo's and print money hats cause the industry grew. What's funny is it didn't grow as much as they thought it did and if you want 1mil+ subs you will have to *gasp* make an awesome game. Warhammer is a good game but it's simply NOT an awesome one.

This part really pisses me off the more I think about it, MJ's comment about trolls. You know who complains about your game the most? The fucking paying customers of it. Those statements about trolls/playa hatas are speaking directly to YOUR customer base you fucking douche. Maybe people are passionate about things and yeah maybe they rag on it but it's because they want to keep giving YOU money. The unmitigated nerve or perhaps ignorance it took to make those statements appalls me.

Just go home Mark, the internet is not for you.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 10:04:08 AM

Hey, let's remember he fired IainC because he spoke the truth to the paying customers.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 10:11:15 AM

I am glad to see at least the tanks are getting put back in. Right now in a lot of BG teams have some problems pushing to flags because 80 percent  of the people are healers and ranged nukers. We need more melee folks to push the pile so any new melee classes are good things.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 10:17:01 AM

I'm having many flashbacks to 6 years ago.

I'm getting that sinking feeling of deja vu when I think about all those "State of the Game" addresses that promised playable mounts right around the corner.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 10:20:08 AM

Hey DDO added the Monk and are planning to add the Druid for free... they will also have about 3 new races in since launch by next year.  As a matter of fact they haven't charged for any of the content they have added since launch beyond the regular monthly fee.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 10:21:18 AM

"I also said that we would not charge any additional fees for this new content or put it in a separate expansion pack; that’s not how we operate. We’ve kept to that plan and with the introduction of these two classes, Mythic shows that once again we are happy to keep giving players more value for their subscription dollars than any other MMORPG developer."

Mythic has to be real careful saying that.  The company that wins HANDS DOWN for added content free of charge is Turbine with LOTRO.  This content they are adding was taken out before release because it wasn't ready and everyone knows that.

I think that's just Turbine's business model.  They do add alot of content to their games free of charge.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:36 AM

You know for all the talk of "blizzard really grew the industry" I think other developers think they can just put out the same medium-rare mmo's and print money hats cause the industry grew.

Yep. The part that some of these people miss is that WoW's "growth" is predominantly in the Far East. They grew NA and EU a lot more than SOE did before them, but it wasn't like EQ1s 525k to WoW's 11mil and therefore there's 10mil people up for grabs. Part of the expense of these games is all of the relationships needed to launch in all of the same countries WoW is. I don't see anyone doing that anytime soon.

A million subs is still today what a million subs used to be if you're just talking NA and EU launches. Therefore, as you said, even "just" 500k is huge for a second to fourth place title.

I think the part that might be tweaking Mythic more is that at this point the number they can float isn't that much more than what AoC could brag about for a brief period. THAT has got to inspire a "get off my lawn kid" McCain-to-Obama feeling for a company who's first launch such an abject trainwreck (AoC by comparison was so very not a wreck).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 10:37:39 AM

I think that's just Turbine's business model.  They do add alot of content to their games free of charge.

Its also because of the incredible asset design. Bree town is brilliantly constructed.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 10:41:17 AM

I never played AC or AC2 but I'm a pretty big fanboy of Turbine after my experiences in LOTRO and DDO.  DDO's content may be on the slow side, but it's also a niche game without a huge playerbase.  Yet they continue to support and add to the game every few months.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 11:17:16 AM

In all fairness to the team, the system’s problems have been magnified by the demand of having so many servers and players using it at the same time

Who could have ever expected customers.

I am the .00000001428%
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: