Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  (Read 239750 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #350 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:39 PM

I didn't mean WHERE the housing will go. I meant, will there be any customisability or whatever.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:45 PM

Though I've already acknowledged Hellgate is the better game, I find myself playing Tabula Rasa now... because HGL keeps freaking locking up.  I know, I know, it's probably my own hardware's fault.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #352 on: November 10, 2007, 01:50:14 AM

So, for example, if I had D2 at home and hadn't played it for a year or so, I'd be better advised at the moment to reinstall that and give it a runthrough while waiting to see if Flagship can get their act together in the next six months or so?
If you were still playing D2 a year ago, you're a fan of the genre. Pick up HGL. It's not an instant classic, but you'll enjoy it.

Nah, I'd say wait the six months, if not more.  The impression you get from playing the game as it is right now could sour you on the idea of ever coming back later.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #353 on: November 10, 2007, 02:47:02 AM

hmm, the only solution is probably not to sub if you can actually stand playing it till level 20s. But the 3 char slot means there's not much experimentation online. Since I can't even make it to level 15 in a single char I'm probably gonna give it a miss.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: November 10, 2007, 03:12:45 AM

HGL loot is better than Titan Quest, and I'd even say D2, but resetting my rig is a no-no.

Elaborate, please. From what I've seen, the only difference is more sockets.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: November 10, 2007, 03:24:45 AM

Can someone tell me if they have the following weird problem.

You log in and there's one of two possible scenarios - game runs without a problem you can play as much as you want to if you don't have to quit for some reason.

Or scenario two - game lags beyond belief, getting pings between 50 and 90000, basically unplayable lag. At the same time I'm on the phone with a friend that's playing without any problems.

First I figured my ISP is probably taking me through Timbuktu to get to the server, but than why do I have those spurts of decent play? When I got the crappy lag I tried playing QW, Eve and a couple of other things on various servers - no delay whatsoever. Anyone has any idea what can I do?

Just fyi - not behind a firewall, not behind a router.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #356 on: November 10, 2007, 06:07:04 AM

I'd really consider waiting a couple months. This game has all the making to be a great, fun game. But it also has issues coming out of its asshole. It needs a lot of bug fixes and a lot of polish. I can say honestly that it does have all the makings to be extremely fun though, and the fun does shine through all the bullshit.

I really am amazed that somewhere like f13.net a game with all the issues of HG:L is getting a free pass. The purest kind of diku, bugs a-plenty, one of the roughest launches for a while and people saying, "It'll get good in 3 / 6 months".

Sometimes I wonder if I've wandered onto the Gamespot boards by mistake.

I feel I need to download HG:L (despite the chance it'll reformat my computer and wipe my credit card for giggles) because it obviously fellates* you while you play.

* I've got no idea what the verb is for 'cunnilingus', but it'll do that for the ladies.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #357 on: November 10, 2007, 06:23:23 AM

Heard from my buddies that South East Asia server having a character wipe. This is on retail as well.  awesome, for real Take that, early buyers!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #358 on: November 10, 2007, 06:56:33 AM

Sounds like a legendary cluster fuck over there. Taken from HGG forums....

http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396&page=2

For those who are not very clear with the situation, here's a short summary of what happened since our launch. (anyone feel free to correct my if i have some incorrect details.)

We launched at around the same time as the US servers, with IAHgames(our sole distributor/game manager) not caring at all that they might not be ready for it. We currently have no comfirmation of whether whose fault it is. 30 days subscription for everyone included for all the packages.

For the first five days, we played with 0 GMs in-game, one community manager on the forums whom is barely active or either unable to answer everything. Oh, and no patch 0 too. And no patch 0 equals? No events too.

On the sixth day, there was a false alarm that we would be given patch 0. Alas, it was never meant to be.

We FINALLY got it on the seventh day. Yes, one week after the actual release do they actually finally release what was supposed to be given on the day itself. But, almost everything thing was bugged. The stash was properly cut in half, but due to the late warning, a large amount of people had their uniques/legendaries stuck in there with no way to retreive them.(Not that it matters anymore with the wipe). And, the fact was even though the cap was raised to 50, it might as well not have been with all the bugs. People who could level past 22 would not get stat and skill points while some people were still stuck at 22. There were still no events too, but at this point nobody really cared about them, since all we wanted was a stabler game.

So, after getting screwed over by zero communication and buggy patches, at the end of it we get a wonderful wipe! At which they proceed to compensate with a free month of subscription. Which at this point I'd like to add that what is the point of S$10 when people have wasted 10 days?

Some might say, well it's a FREE MONTH of subscription. But for customers whom they made to pay S$60+ to play a BETA version of the game and TEST it for them... The idea is simply ridiculous! So your saying, "Oh we just payed for a beta version of hellgate. But who cares! We're getting a MONTH of subscription! WOAH! AMAZING!" It is not that we objecting to compensation, but the fact that they think such a small amount is enough to quell the anger.

My thoughts on this? I think that IAHgames is simply unable to cope with hellgate, and i fear they are going to screw this game up as badly as they screwed their previous game, Granado Espada. So perhaps you people on the US/EU servers will count yourselfs lucky to out of the crap called SEA server.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #359 on: November 10, 2007, 01:03:08 PM

I really am amazed that somewhere like f13.net a game with all the issues of HG:L is getting a free pass. The purest kind of diku, bugs a-plenty, one of the roughest launches for a while and people saying, "It'll get good in 3 / 6 months".

Bugs yes. Rough launch yup. But Diku? Um, no. It's not getting a free pass, we all agree it's got some fucked up aspects, the launch and marketing was retarded and the memory leaks/performance suck ass. But at it's core it's a lot of fun for some people. End of story.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: November 10, 2007, 01:42:58 PM

Good ding lewtz gratz from swaths of enemies exploding into cascades of loot get you a lot of leeway around these parts.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: November 10, 2007, 01:49:32 PM

I'd really consider waiting a couple months. This game has all the making to be a great, fun game. But it also has issues coming out of its asshole. It needs a lot of bug fixes and a lot of polish. I can say honestly that it does have all the makings to be extremely fun though, and the fun does shine through all the bullshit.

Sometimes I wonder if I've wandered onto the Gamespot boards by mistake.

I feel I need to download HG:L (despite the chance it'll reformat my computer and wipe my credit card for giggles) because it obviously fellates* you while you play.

* I've got no idea what the verb is for 'cunnilingus', but it'll do that for the ladies.

Im going to let you in a little secret.  Ive had zero crashes, zero lock ups, zero reboots, in fact zero problems with this game.  I have yet to experience a single bug, minor or otherwise now that i think about it.  My only complaints have been about design decisions like the stupid guy fawkes event, minor things i can simply ignore and keep playing.  I keep playing because ITS FUCKING FUN.  I know theres plenty of problems (of which ive experienced none, maybe if i played for 9 hours straight i would but i dont plan on doing that for any game) and nobody is giving the game a pass on those, they are just having too much fun to complain loudly.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #362 on: November 10, 2007, 02:12:28 PM

Meh, I've been trying hard to have fun with this game, but it's just not happening.  HGL reminds me of many of the things that drove me away from CoH.  I'm partway through Act 4 and I often find myself fighting the same creatures in the same tilesets that I was fighting in Act 1.  One of the things I liked about Diablo 2 and Titan's Quest is that each act had their own looks, but you don't really get that here.

Also, (and maybe this is different for other classes) there's too much trash loot for me to really get excited any time rare stuff drops.  And by trash, I don't mean grey stuff, I mean green, blue, and orange stuff that I would never use.  Maybe there's just not a lot of great summoner gear in the game, but gathering the loot, identifying it, and either breaking it down, or selling it has become more tedious than it is fun.
schild
Administrator

Reply #363 on: November 10, 2007, 02:20:14 PM

Yes, the game definitely needs an inventory that autogrinds anything below the threshhold you set it for upon pickup. I would grind everything blue and below.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #364 on: November 10, 2007, 02:46:45 PM

Yes, the game definitely needs an inventory that autogrinds anything below the threshhold you set it for upon pickup. I would grind everything blue and below.

Or you know, even an autosort. Inventory tetris while getting beaten on and stressing about that yellow lying there sucks big-time.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: November 11, 2007, 03:39:46 AM

if anyone else is having ping/lag issues - http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?p=343998. You're not alone. Your connection is fine.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: November 11, 2007, 09:59:39 AM

This was a good laugh. A review on SomethingAwful.com

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/hellgate-london-subscription.php'

"... Where does your money go?

We have a programmer sitting in front of a bank of monitors with that crazy green Matrix code that looks like it's raining alphanumeric soup. He hacks around the clock to the best of his ability just to keep your inventory and character slots bigger than they were coded to be. Red alarm lights are constantly going off in there and the room is shaking because he is pushing the mainframe past its specs and the code is ready to firewall at any moment. Frankly, we should be charging you more.

Billing adventure puzzle! Sometimes we charge you $9.99 every month, and sometimes we charge you $9.99 every single day. Keep a close eye on your credit card activity and enjoy this extra layer of gameplay. The fun doesn't stop when you turn off the game or when it crashes you to your desktop!

Disappearing content and features! In addition to our exciting "unpredict-entory" system that randomly deletes items when you log off, we also remove all of the extra features, items, characters, and content you paid for the very moment you unsubscribe. Even if you just subscribed yesterday. We could give you a full thirty days from the moment you paid, but we'd have to bump the subscription price up to $15 a month to employ someone to do the complex math that would require. Even then, we don't know if our building could withstand another shaking, alarm-filled room ..."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 10:06:16 AM by bhodikhan »
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: November 11, 2007, 12:16:02 PM

Nonsense - Verant had at least three of those rooms to warn them if people were leveling too fast.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: November 12, 2007, 08:22:19 AM

HGL loot is better than Titan Quest, and I'd even say D2, but resetting my rig is a no-no.

You get a gun that shoots FRIGGEN BEES MAN!

nuff said.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: November 12, 2007, 08:26:43 AM

Yeah, if only those suckers from that Bioshock game hadn't stolen this idea already...
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:08 AM

Yeah, if only those suckers from that Bioshock game hadn't stolen this idea already...

He was comparing to D2 and TQ. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #371 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:44 AM

OK.  We are well inside the borders of My Opinionia, a land of bright colors and the smell of peppermint.

TQ, for one thing, streamlines the identify/teleport scroll situation by simply removing it.  Does this add or subtract from the experience?  Personally I think it takes something away from the Loot game but adds to the Game game by keeping you in Clobber Mode for more of your session.  In TQ, I can slaughter two hundred monsters and, with one keypress, filter out everything non-magical from my view.  Furthermore, I know as soon as I pick it up if I want to use it, sell it or drop it.  Then I go on to the next mass-murder.  I spend much less time in town agonizing over my spoils than I would in D2 or Fate.

HGL follows the D2 formula more closely, but adds a bit.  There's some crafting, for one.  In D2 I could socket runes and make things in the HC, but from a quick played-the-beta visit I can see more depth in the HGL Loot game.  I have identify/teleport scrolls and have to manage my inventory accordingly, I can sell things or I can break them down into raw materials, there's some randomization with the crafting, and probably other things I have forgotten about or don't know.  Simply put, it seems that there's more to do in the HGL Loot game.

The thing that I think is the greatest travesty, other than Flagship delivering a massive turd with a disappointingly-low number of peanuts inside, is how both Mythos and HGL have ditched the Fate skill system.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: November 12, 2007, 11:07:17 AM

My biggest dissapointment with TQ and the reason i simply couldn't get into it for very long was the fact that you couldn't mod epic and rare items making greens ultimately better than blues or purples.  Thats a fail of epic proportions.

I am the .00000001428%
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:02 AM

Indeed, that game improved drastically with the mods that removed that restriction.

Hellgate on the other hand could improve by getting those fucking bugs out. As of today, my main character can't play the minigame anymore. The three icons are just gone, I had to switch to my Blademaster. Thats two characters unplayable now. Thats unforgivable.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:16:45 AM by Tebonas »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #374 on: November 12, 2007, 11:22:49 AM

My biggest dissapointment with TQ and the reason i simply couldn't get into it for very long was the fact that you couldn't mod epic and rare items making greens ultimately better than blues or purples.  Thats a fail of epic proportions.

I feel bad for forgetting about that one.  I agree.  However, as was pointed out, you can mod TQ.  And D2 for that matter.  Comparing the various D2 descendants is somewhat tricky.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #375 on: November 12, 2007, 12:25:30 PM

I dont think many of us gave it a free pass. I wrote a long ass post stating all the things I think are wrong with it. The problem being that any negativity right now is going to bring Schild's fanboy wrath down on the thread, and its just not worth it.

I could go on and on listing the problems with the game, but they are all the same ones I listed in my review. Nothings changing, so for me right now, there is no more to post on its issues.

Also, the SA review was priceless, go read that. It was linked in the review thread.

Buyer beware.
schild
Administrator

Reply #376 on: November 12, 2007, 12:31:04 PM

Trust me, I know of all the bugs in the game and then some. And there are hundreds. Hell I could ramble off a looooooooong(cat) list of them right now.

I love games like this because of th loot yes, but I also love nethack/rogue derivatives. The endless horrible dungeon as it were. Along with stuff like Shiren the Wandere Diablo, Torneko, etc. I find this brand of gameplay just terribly fun. I don't play it like a diku and once you hit hardcore mode, it really isn't a diku any longer.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:21 PM

That they can take random maps and make them look that good is a pretty technically impressive thing.  I look forward to when they get around to adding additional pieces to their randomizer (something advertised as being a post-release subscription feature).

The main trouble the game seems to have is the memory allocation/url].  The memory gets all fragmented and eventually results in an out of memory crash.  The good news is that they've apparently a solution in the works.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #378 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:11 PM

I wouldnt say thats the *main* problem. I would say its one of them. There are major major design flaws. Major. Like the fact that it is almost impossible to finish Elite Nightmare due to the monster level scaling. I believe the end boss on EN is like level 68-70. Putting him 18 to 20 levels above the current max level. Also the fact that you have to majorly grind out dungeons over and over again to advance in Nightmare and Elite. I dont mind having to do the same dungeon a few times, but what they have now is not fun. I laughed at the achievement to kill Shulgoth 100 times, but now I can see a lot of people having that.
On top of that the skill tress are very weak for some classes, with horrible pre-reqs, and nonsensical branches.

Personally, I plan to beat the game on Normal, and maybe Nightmare modes, with maybe 2 characters, then Ill probably shelve the game until some of the stuff above is fixed or more content is added.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: November 12, 2007, 02:27:39 PM

I feel bad for forgetting about that one.  I agree.  However, as was pointed out, you can mod TQ.  And D2 for that matter.  Comparing the various D2 descendants is somewhat tricky.

To be honest changing a core mechanic like that one that was obviously a deliberate choice by the devs (a horrible choice) felt too much like cheating to take advantage of those mods.

I am the .00000001428%
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: November 12, 2007, 11:40:03 PM

The main trouble the game seems to have is the memory allocation. The memory gets all fragmented and eventually results in an out of memory crash.  The good news is that they've apparently a solution in the works.

For you that may be the main problem. But I can't even get that far in the game, my longest session has been 3-4 hours. After that, and more often within 10 minutes of jumping online, I lag out. So yeah, with the memory leak you can at least play.

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: November 13, 2007, 12:54:31 AM

Your longest session is better than I typically do which is perhaps an hour or two before crashing.  Often my crashes are complete lockups that obscure the task manager and prevent me from ending the task unless I made sure it's already selected.  I don't get an "out of memory error", but the kind of crash (sometimes resulting in corrupted GUI elements appearing on the screen) and when it crashes (during a lurch as it shuffles around assets in the background) lead me to believe it's the memory allocator.  This is on a 2GB system.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: November 13, 2007, 05:03:10 AM

Not to rub it in, but just to even out the feedback.  I haven't had any memory issues and have had play sessions past 3 hours.

Now lag does seem to screw things up for me though.  I seem to get out of synch with the graphics and the mobs start acting weird.  I typically have to zone out and back in again to clear that up.  This doesn't happen too often though.  I'll get a spike every couple of hours.
lesion

Reply #383 on: November 13, 2007, 05:12:32 AM

I had tons of memory crashes until I bumped textures down from Very High to High.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #384 on: November 13, 2007, 05:19:06 AM

I guess I am lucky, or maybe the late release (November 9th) in my country ironed out some of the earlier nastiest bugs, but I am having a perfect gaming experience so far. The few bugs I met are tiny and neglectable and it is all pretty smooth.

In the last 3 days I played A LOT and had more than one 5+ hours session. Again, no issues. Yay me.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: expletive deleted superfail expletive deleted  
Jump to: