Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 07:03:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 247321 times)
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: January 09, 2018, 03:43:31 PM

How are ships slowly moving through space while not having enough armor or shielding to not get fucked by fighters even remotely ok. How is someone needing to manually press the button to release bombs from a cargo bay OK. Well jimmy fuck a baby with a dried bagel that was stupid.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #526 on: January 09, 2018, 03:48:44 PM

If you want to go there, how are manned fighters remotely okay?   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: January 09, 2018, 05:36:53 PM

I have to admit I turned my brain off a little during the bombing-the-Star-Destroyer scene because the Star Destroyer commander looked uncannily like my worst graduate professor, so I was kind of enjoying watching him get blown to smithereens.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: January 09, 2018, 06:30:44 PM

If you want to go there, how are manned fighters remotely okay?   awesome, for real
Clone Wars.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: January 09, 2018, 09:33:58 PM

Yeah, why aren't they using one jump capable ship to verify enemy coordinates and jumping in clusters of bombs on the position. Boom. I'm a general.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #530 on: January 09, 2018, 10:39:35 PM

A bombad general...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: January 10, 2018, 02:51:27 AM

The bombers as a concept was ok going with the SW rule of cool thing and the WWII heritage. Having to have someone onboard press a physical button (on a remote handset?) to drop the bombs was a bit too far but I can live with that.

The slow speed chase was what I couldn't get over. The fact that ships were able to jump in and out of it just felt like I was watching fucking Speed 3 from Father Ted. I get what they wanted to achieve in that scene but to show but that undermining of the SW trope (lone sacrificial team of heroes pulls off a complicated, high stakes plan to save the day) could have been done far better. That's what I mean when I say lazy writing, the writer/director was looking to undermine some SW tropes and did so in a way that was somewhat ham fisted (fair enough, most viewers would miss it if it had been subtle) and without much care for consistency with the universe. I think they also caught themselves a little bit between wanting to undermine SW tropes and avoid repeating all the beats of ESB so sacrificed having actual bad things happen at the end.

Unlike Empire this ends on a positive note with the FO very much not looking totally in control and on the brink of final victory. Even though their position is somehow way stronger than the Empire was in ESB (the Resistance is much, much smaller than the Rebels were) ending on the Resistance escaping and them getting so thoroughly clowned by holo-Luke leaves them feeling much less threatening than they could have been.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: January 10, 2018, 12:23:49 PM

The 'chase' didn't bother me much, but I couldn't help thinking that BSG is how it should have been done if this was all they could come up with themselves.

But I liked the ending more than I liked the ending of empire.

Empire has a bad ending, it just stops.

It isn't that this has a happy ending - it is that the 4 main characters plus Luke resolve what this film is about for them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:30:58 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #533 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:40 PM

Here is the kamikaze outtake in high quality:

https://i.imgur.com/lMNLmTB.mp4

Aaaaaaaaand:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:55:19 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #534 on: January 11, 2018, 07:03:27 AM

Man, on closer inspection, that looks like a goddamn girdle.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: January 11, 2018, 08:57:27 AM

The pants do no favors but make no mistake that dude is in good shape.  Not marvel comic centerfold ripped but more of a don't fuck with this dude irl, strong.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #536 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:54 AM

Oh I know, he's definitely much buffer than I thought. The all black suit makes him look a lot slimmer than that pic.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #537 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:12 PM

I saw him in Silence recently. Dude's a decent actor when he gets good lines.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #538 on: January 11, 2018, 02:09:06 PM

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 11, 2018, 04:18:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1M95njhovw

The science behind that kamikaze scene. I'm glad my initial, no math included, thoughts on what should have happened is close to what Kyle got.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:53 AM

Discounting the energy ball, I was pretty sure the debris field that would still be moving at speed would have taken out a couple of those star destroyers following on. Still a pretty cool video, thanks for that.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:26 AM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:49 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #543 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:41 PM

SHOULDA DONE MORE ROCK LIFTS!

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:39 PM

Obviously we shouldn't give any more money to this series seeing how its been bad for 60+ years.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: January 12, 2018, 03:41:40 PM

You should definitely stop letting it occupy your faculties.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #546 on: January 13, 2018, 01:40:13 AM

Holy shit people are getting desperate to defend this movie from even the slightest criticism.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: January 13, 2018, 02:03:53 AM

Sure. Some of the criticisms are valid. Some are nitpicky bullshit. Some people genuinely didn't like, and some are looking to hate on it just because. I thought that shit was pretty funny.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: January 13, 2018, 05:36:06 AM

I think that skewers pretty well the incessant demands for more exposition, more background, more consistency in internal world-building. I also think it captures a difference between fans in 1982 and fans in 2017.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 13, 2018, 08:22:35 AM

I found both the video and the pictures funny.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:56 AM

I think that skewers pretty well the incessant demands for more exposition, more background, more consistency in internal world-building. I also think it captures a difference between fans in 1982 and fans in 2017.

People had similar reactions to ESB when it came out as well. It was only lasted that people said “clearly the best”
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #551 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:01 AM

I finally saw this. My sense is that it does two key things that basically add up to "the end of Star Wars" -- as we know it at least. Thematically, this wraps the key arcs of the entire series, in order to set up new ones. All that remains for the last movie is plot.

It is doing set up to create a permanent soap-opera-like storytelling engine. It ends the notion that the Skywalker family is special. It sets it up instead so that there is always one key hero and one key villain who are strong in the Force, because the Force *averages out* to balance. It returns the theme of the Rebellion to a lot of small scrappy individuals, ordinary folk, rather than an aristocracy, and it's going to scatter them to the winds, which means endless possible sources for stories. It provides satisfying arcs and lessons for all the main characters (biggest difference between this an Empire is that in ESB those lessons are learned offscreen between ESB and ROTJ; the ending is actually in the pit of despair).

The nice meta touch is that it literally ends on kids playing with lightsabers -- just as the actual movie accomplished in real life. That's about as firm a statement of a new beginning and of potential as you can get.

It was enjoyable, but it definitely felt like an ending of something to me. I wouldn't be surprised if the next one basically set up a new beginning for ongoing franchise development.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:21 AM

"Ongoing franchise development" has been star wars' M.O since the 80's, they don't need a movie to set that up.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: January 15, 2018, 06:47:12 AM

Holy shit people are getting desperate to defend this movie from even the slightest criticism.

That album is absolutely right on about the stupid complaints most people have about the movie.

I am the .00000001428%
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:48 AM

I'm guessing that insofar as there was a plan - it wasn't even planned as the end of the skywalkers. Luke will be back as a force ghost and keeping Leia alive must surely have been a Disney stipulation.

I'd really like it to be a transition to a setting for stories not about skywalkers and that don't completely reorient the galaxy twice in every 6 hours of screentime - it is possible that this is what RJ intended. But I'm sceptical that this will happen. One quarter of the main cast are still direct descendants of Darth Vader.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #555 on: January 15, 2018, 09:12:02 AM

Some redpill idiot spent time out of his busy life to make a 'defeminised edit' of TLJ. That version is only 46 minutes long.

Basically The Last Jedi minus Girlz Powah and other silly stuff.

It would probably be easier to make a list of things that were kept instead of things that were changed. Hardly any scene got away without cuts.

The resulting movie is (wait for it ...) 46 minutes long.

Yeah I know, it's not ideal. It's made from a CAM source (the most recent HDTC one with the Asian hard subs, which is pretty watchable). It has issues. But it had to be done.

You will probably enjoy it most when you view it less as a blockbuster movie and more as some kind of episode from some non-existent mediocre Star Wars series.

Here's a short rundown of changes (spoilers! full list in description.txt):
- No whiny/reluctant/murderous psycho Luke.
- NO HALDO! She simply doesn't exist. Her whole subplot doesn't exist. The Kamikaze is carried out by Poe. ( = Poe dies.)
- Leia never scolds, questions nor demotes Poe. - Lea dies. Kylo kills her.
- Kylo is more badass and much less conflicted and volatile.
- Kylo takes on more of Snoke's guards, Rey struggles with a single one.
- No bomber heroism by china girl in the beginning.
- No Canto Bight.
- No superpowered Rey.
- Luke is not a semi-force-ghost and is smashed by the first laser cannon shot. (sorry, I just had to!)
- Phasma is finished after the first blow by Finn. (Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn't force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit)
- Asian chick speaks less, doesn't bully Finn, Finn doesn't try to escape, she is never formally introduced. She is just there and occasionally smiles at Finn or screams "Finn!". She has no sister. Serves her right for all the heinous stuff she did.
- Lots of little cuts reducing the number of female facial shots. Too many to count. (Pun intended.)
- Quite a few scenes rearranged so that the flow of the shortened movie is still somewhat coherent.

Obviously it's far from perfect. The source is not even on DVD-level. Some of the technical edits were slacked because why not, it's a CAM source (e.g. some masks and Snoke disappearing). Sometimes there's an extreme zoom despite the mediocre quality. There are plotholes and continuity errors and some cuts are not as smooth as they should be, especially audio transition-wise. But for what it's worth, it can now at least be viewed without feeling nauseaus about most of the terrible big and small decisions they made in this film. Also, at least the intro sequence is now very watchable and actually much cooler without all of Leia's nitpicking. Now it's all one united Resistance fighting without inner conflict and that's much more satisfying to watch. Due to the extreme shortening, the whole movie is much more fast-paced now, at times unfortuantely also rushed due to a lack of usable filler footage

swamp poop

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 15, 2018, 09:44:14 AM

"Superpowered Rey"... do people just mean she moved some rocks? Or am I forgetting something?

Because after two movies as main character you definitely get to move rocks. Admittedly Luke was shit at rocks but he did blow up the death star with the force so honestly he can't complain.

In tFA I had niggles with superpowered Rey. If anyone is still complaining about it after she literally trains with Luke Skywalker I don't know what to tell you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:46:08 AM by eldaec »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #557 on: January 15, 2018, 10:07:57 AM

To be fair, she didn't train with him very long. Also, she's a woman so clearly she should have trained longer for less money.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: January 15, 2018, 12:02:12 PM

I do accept that every part of this film and the last one would have benefited from a few 'time passes' star wars wipes.

But seriously, she visited the centre of all jedidom. That has to grant a pretty big xp boost. Definitely enough for 'force lift'.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: January 15, 2018, 12:17:48 PM

Isane person

I feel like a worse human being for even having read that.  How do you even find shit like this?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  
Jump to: