Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:29:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  (Read 247407 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:29 AM

Snokes dead. Killed by Ben. Rey is stronger than Ben Solo by a factor of a lot.

I like how people who don't like the movie just call him ben, do you spell microsoft as m$ too? it's what cool kids do.

Snoke wasn't killed in any way that power in the force mattered, he was fooled by his apprentice and murdered.  To say rey is even stronger than the artist formerly known as ben solo is also not proven in any way, they had one skirmish that got interrupted and was able to fight back a bit on his mind probing shit, that makes her more powerful?

It's almost as if people are looking for reasons to be upset.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #596 on: January 16, 2018, 10:47:29 AM

Also Finn may be over her and I am not sure who the other boy is because Poe was all about that Finn last movie.

Rey is, clearly the second strongest force user in the galaxy (out of three confirmed)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: January 16, 2018, 11:39:38 AM

Are people taking crazy pills?

the best ship in the galaxy -  It's not
the best force usee in the galaxy - snoke hands her ass to her so no
defecto symbol of the resistance - leia doesn't seem to give a shit about rey in fact finn seems to be the only one making her a priority
2 hot guys pining after her - two males  showing interest in a hot girl? stop the fucking presses.
the best weapon in the galaxy -  It's not
the founding textbooms of the jedi order - She stole them from Luke who found them but we better just get on Frodo's ass too about just happened to 'find' the one ring in his uncle's fucking living room.

The only thing I'm going to respond to you with is;

Snokes dead. Killed by Ben. Rey is stronger than Ben Solo by a factor of a lot. Go back to dry humping to the corpse of this franchise.

Jesus christ, and you wonder why we say your complaints are moronic.

I am the .00000001428%
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:58 PM

I like how moronic means, everyone points it out but I don't see a problem with this because i turned my brain off for several scenes of this movie and admitted not using critical analysis for several moments of this film as to not tinge or hinder my enjoyment. Which is fine, the movie made a million + dollars, so someone enjoyed this shlock.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:59 PM

Normally you just seem like a troll who is a bit more than medium high at the time you're typing, but this time you seem to really really feel this way. You poor guy.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:43 PM

Also Finn may be over her and I am not sure who the other boy is because Poe was all about that Finn last movie.

Rey is, clearly the second strongest force user in the galaxy (out of three confirmed)

There are at least four live force users.

Admittedly one of them only uses it for chores.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:51:51 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #601 on: January 16, 2018, 02:53:50 PM

Ren, Rey, Leia, slave kid. Who is the fifth?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:53 PM

Jar Jar Binx Finn and that's a stretch.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: January 16, 2018, 02:58:29 PM

Leia is dead. We can leave her out even if she doesn’t die on screen
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: January 16, 2018, 03:14:50 PM

Jar Jar Binx Finn and that's a stretch.

wow

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:02 PM

The only thing I'm going to respond to you with is;

Snokes dead. Killed by Ben. Rey is stronger than Ben Solo by a factor of a lot. Go back to dry humping to the corpse of this franchise.

I know this has already been covered but we have no onscreen evidence she is stronger than Ben.

TFA - Yes, she overcomes his mind attack and surprises him but my read of the scene is that she took him by surprise as he didn't even know she had force powers. Yes, she beat him in a light saber battle but A) He'd just been shot by Chewbacca. They spent half of the movie showing us how powerful that crossbow was. Stormtroopers hit by it fly through the air. We also get several prominent shots of blood dripping from his abdomen. He also fights Finn first who actually gets in a glancing blow against him. And finally, and this is a bit nerdy but I don't care, the novelization explicitly says that when he killed Han he actually was so unbalanced by it he lost some power because he just couldn't focus.

TLJ - Zero evidence in this movie. Their only true conflict is when they fight to pull the saber to themselves and it ends in a draw. Snoke also explicitly says the Force granted her power to be his counter-balance.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: January 16, 2018, 07:35:35 PM

The basic message of the kid at the end is: the Force is awake. The Jedi were a kind of Army Corps of Engineers who tried to channel it down concrete banks. That's all gone now. So I think by the end of this movie, you can safely assume there are a lot more Force users out there somewhere.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #607 on: January 16, 2018, 08:09:16 PM

Some redpill idiot spent time out of his busy life to make a 'defeminised edit' of TLJ. That version is only 46 minutes long.

Basically The Last Jedi minus Girlz Powah and other silly stuff.

- No whiny/reluctant/murderous psycho Luke.
How is being a murderous psycho = feminised?   swamp poop

Honestly the only thing that bothered me was the purple-hair, no uniform, everyone does what he/she wants stuff.

But I am more a pro-empire authoritarian person in the first place, so that's probably to be expected.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: January 16, 2018, 11:50:36 PM

Yeah, funny thing, turns out I can't count to four.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:01 AM

his overconfidence in his Jedi badassery backfires and he's captured.

Wait, no.  No.  This is not how that plan worked.  The plan was one of those 'It would be nice if this worked, but here's the actual plan'.  According to most sources and novelisations and whatnot, Luke knew that getting out of that fucking fortress would be horrendous and pretty much involve killing everyone.

His plan was to get captured and then take the Sarlacc trip if all failed so that escape was 'easier'.  He had Lando and Artoo with the saber.  He also put Leia in there as first gasp.

Now, I can see that you can argue the other way, of course, but you don't put all these safeguards in if you think you can just walk in and mind control some cunt.  Say what you like, but Luke PLANNED for all that shit.

You're welcome to disagree, of course, but this has always been my interpretation.  Chewie even reassures Han multiple times that 'don't worry, Luke's got this'.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: January 17, 2018, 05:25:07 AM

his overconfidence in his Jedi badassery backfires and he's captured.

Wait, no.  No.  This is not how that plan worked.  The plan was one of those 'It would be nice if this worked, but here's the actual plan'.  According to most sources and novelisations and whatnot, Luke knew that getting out of that fucking fortress would be horrendous and pretty much involve killing everyone.

His plan was to get captured and then take the Sarlacc trip if all failed so that escape was 'easier'.  He had Lando and Artoo with the saber.  He also put Leia in there as first gasp.

Now, I can see that you can argue the other way, of course, but you don't put all these safeguards in if you think you can just walk in and mind control some cunt.  Say what you like, but Luke PLANNED for all that shit.

You're welcome to disagree, of course, but this has always been my interpretation.  Chewie even reassures Han multiple times that 'don't worry, Luke's got this'.

That's been pretty much how it has been portrayed, both on screen and in the novels. As they're going to the Sarlac Luke is utterly unworried. And it's not an accident that Lando is one of the guards on their skiff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #611 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:19 AM

Yeah. Though it's not a great plan, considering that it sets Leia up to get sexually assaulted by a giant slug and Han only survives by a lucky swing of a stick.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #612 on: January 17, 2018, 09:19:50 AM

Well yes, I realize he went in there having a backup plan, so he wasn't totally confident he could Jedi mind trick his way out of it (though having lived on Tatooine, I'm pretty sure he knew he couldn't mind trick a Hutt). He did, however, think he'd be able to fight his way through it, otherwise, it's a really stupid fucking plan that got Leia captured.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: January 17, 2018, 10:37:40 AM

Yeah. Though it's not a great plan, considering that it sets Leia up to get sexually assaulted by a giant slug and Han only survives by a lucky swing of a stick.

For this reason, I always assumed that Leia jumped the gun on unfreezing Han.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: January 17, 2018, 11:23:28 AM

Yeah, that seems kind of right--that Luke was hoping to get Jabba to take just him out for the execution and then strike back at him. Though also there, Luke wasn't really ready for the rancor fight, and he was pretty well underestimating Boba Fett if Boba Fett hadn't been played as an incompetent doofus in this particular film. And yet nobody was screaming Mary Sue then that I recall--the big fan gripes were really about the Ewoks and a teeny bit about Leia being Luke's sister.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: January 17, 2018, 01:06:45 PM

I don't think "mary sue" was even a thing back then. Even if it was it was not common or people didn't care.

I am the .00000001428%
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:16 PM

Yeah, that seems kind of right--that Luke was hoping to get Jabba to take just him out for the execution and then strike back at him. Though also there, Luke wasn't really ready for the rancor fight, and he was pretty well underestimating Boba Fett if Boba Fett hadn't been played as an incompetent doofus in this particular film. And yet nobody was screaming Mary Sue then that I recall--the big fan gripes were really about the Ewoks and a teeny bit about Leia being Luke's sister.

I seem to recall the words "Han Solo" and "emasculated" being used together a lot.  And fans absolutely complained about Boba Fett going out like a punk.  But that ties more into Han Solo being the Finn of the movie and sucking Fett into his vortex of comic relief buffoonery than Luke being a Mary Sue.

Edit: for that matter, I remember a lot of complaints about the tone of the film, such as torture being played up for laughs as opposed to the previous two, and of course the raping of Leia as a set up for a Threepio.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:35:40 PM by BobtheSomething »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #617 on: January 17, 2018, 01:39:43 PM

I don't think "mary sue" was even a thing back then. Even if it was it was not common or people didn't care.

Fun fact, the original Mary Sue was a character in a 1973 Star Trek fan fiction.

The term "Mary Sue" comes from the name of a character created by Paula Smith in 1973 for her parody story "A Trekkie's Tale":15 published in her fanzine Menagerie #2.The story starred Lieutenant Mary Sue ("the youngest Lieutenant in the fleet — only fifteen and a half years old"), and satirized unrealistic characters in Star Trek fan fiction. Such characters were generally female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canonical adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or protégées of those characters. By 1976 Menagerie's editors stated that they disliked such characters, saying:

Mary Sue stories—the adventures of the youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age. Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology, including karate and arm-wrestling. This character can also be found burrowing her way into the good graces/heart/mind of one of the Big Three [Kirk, Spock, and McCoy], if not all three at once. She saves the day by her wit and ability, and, if we are lucky, has the good grace to die at the end, being grieved by the entire ship.

"Mary Sue" today has changed from its original meaning and now carries a generalized, although not universal, connotation of wish-fulfillment and is commonly associated with self-insertion. True self-insertion is a literal and generally undisguised representation of the author; most characters described as "Mary Sues" are not, though they are often called "proxies"[9] for the author. The negative connotation comes from this "wish-fulfillment" implication: the "Mary Sue" is judged as a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: January 17, 2018, 04:17:05 PM

Well yes, I realize he went in there having a backup plan, so he wasn't totally confident he could Jedi mind trick his way out of it (though having lived on Tatooine, I'm pretty sure he knew he couldn't mind trick a Hutt). He did, however, think he'd be able to fight his way through it, otherwise, it's a really stupid fucking plan that got Leia captured.

See, I never thought of it as a backup plan. Even as a kid I fairly clearly saw how he laid out the game pieces.

1) Send Lando in early to establish himself as a guard.
2) Send the droids in with Artoo having his lightsaber.
3) Send Leah in to A) get Chewie in place to watch over Han and B) Defrost Han
4) Show up minus a lightsaber, piss off Jabba enough to get him to take them out to be executed away from the palace.

I always figured that as a native Luke knew 2 things: 1) Jabba had a pet rancor he fed guests to and 2) if he got really pissed he sent people out to be digested by the Sarlacc since it took 1000 years for them to die. For a "normal" person I think Luke's actions would be "let's roll the dice and hope they fall the way I want." I think Luke spent the time between movies looking into possible futures and figured this one had the best chance of getting them all out alive.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: January 17, 2018, 11:10:21 PM

I always thought he was surprised by the Rancor, and prepared for the Sarlacc. There was just zero point to standing on the trap door and placing yourself in some extra jeopardy that he didn't have people in place to help him with.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #620 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:08 AM

I think the Rancor genuinely scared him, but there was no way he didn't know exactly what he was doing.  He stood on the trapdoor.  He silenced 3PO with a look.  He grabbed a GUN for a really clumsy shot at Jabba. 

Oh, and he can see the fucking future.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm of the view the visit was just to piss Jabba off and get out to Karkoon.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: January 18, 2018, 07:30:00 AM

I always viewed it less as...

"all part of Luke's cunning plan"

... and more...

"I'm an actual jedi now so hey you can fuck about all you want but me and my backup will just flip out and wreck everything if you really really make us. But I'll give you every chance to back down because my light sabre is a pain to clean and I'm above all of this shit."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:31:35 AM by eldaec »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #622 on: January 18, 2018, 07:34:21 AM

Yeah, kind of. We get that sense from Jedi generally in the prequels--that their faith in the Force is that it will let them improvise an answer to any confrontation and come out on top, and to let enemies know that in advance. Which is kind of why they were arguably guardians of "peace and justice", really--if a Jedi showed up, you get the sense that much of the time, the bad guys just backed down or crept away.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #623 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:59 AM

This is still George Lucas we are talking about, there was no more thought put into that whole sequence other than "this looks cool".

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #624 on: January 18, 2018, 07:57:20 AM

That too. And also of course, "This is what used to happen in Flash Gordon, he got dropped into arenas or cages and had to fight monsters."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: January 27, 2018, 06:33:20 PM

This Twitter account is doing genius work with the throne room scene. https://twitter.com/rachlikesbands
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: February 07, 2018, 12:22:20 PM

So, per Disney release, Weiss/Benioff are also writing and producing a trilogy, different to the RJ trilogy and what they are calling the episodic "skywalker saga".

I like that they are increasingly focussing on stories separate from the 'episode n' track, but I'm not sure I'd hire those 2 to write cards for hallmark.

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: February 07, 2018, 12:37:26 PM

This Twitter account is doing genius work with the throne room scene. https://twitter.com/rachlikesbands

You sure that's the right twitter account?  That shows no tweets.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: February 07, 2018, 01:18:37 PM

Moved, plus she's had some IP takedowns. https://twitter.com/rachnarok/status/957030732395958272

Polygon got some of the best ones.

The best one is synched to "Toxic". https://twitter.com/rachnarok/status/955869025778765826
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: February 08, 2018, 04:29:32 AM

Proves that 'Dont stop me now' makes everything better.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi  
Jump to: