Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online shuts down December 18th 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer Online shuts down December 18th  (Read 47197 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: September 18, 2013, 01:20:23 PM

For good.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/18/warhammer-online-to-close-december-18th/

Today is Warhammer Online's fifth anniversary, but instead of getting a celebration, the players are getting a pink slip from Mythic. The studio announced that it will be shutting WAR down as of December 18th because its licensing deal with Games Workshop has come to an end.

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:04 PM

And this is why the making of MMO server emulators is a good thing.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:01 PM

Yeah, that's what the holdup was. 

Unfortunately, as with all licensing deals they do eventually come to end and on December 18th, 2013 we will no longer be operating Warhammer Online.

There had been some speculation as to why they were still keeping this thing afloat.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:53:39 PM

I was always surprised they never transitioned this to F2P, but I guess what is hinted at here is that they must have known GW wouldn't renew the license after the game tanked, so why bother.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:21:39 PM

This game and the drama that ensued is the reason I started reading this forum heavily.

cry

It will always be first in my heart.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:22:49 PM

The reason WAR failed was because t
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:06 PM

Kinda sad about this, even though I haven't played in years.  There were a lot of things I liked about WAR, and it spawned a lot of good ideas that other companies have since copied.  It's just the snags they hit with their core gameplay kind of trumped everything good or interesting they did with the other aspects of it.  I was still holding out hope for a F2P savior or something that would fix that somehow, sigh.   embarassed
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:31:46 AM

I honest to god though this had been shut down a few years ago  swamp poop
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:38:34 AM

Same, I didn't realize it was still up.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 03:15:55 AM

This game and the drama that ensued is the reason I started reading this forum heavily.

cry

It will always be first in my heart.
Same. My very first post on this forum was a reply to Arthur_Parker, assuring him that we wouldn't fuck up the launch.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:43:07 AM

It's a little sad.  I really enjoyed playing this at release.  Grinding my squig herder and shaman from 1-20 almost entirely by pvp was incredibly fun.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:58 AM

So many good aspects of this game were utterly fucked by Mark Jacob's insistence that XP gain was perfectly fine and that there was no content gap. Also felled by completely fucking clueless PVP arena design. Fuck you, Mourkain Temple and Tor Anroc. Joy-killing LCD shit shows of horror and despair.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 08:56:48 AM

I honest to god though this had been shut down a few years ago  swamp poop

I believe it has been down to only one server for at least 12 months.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:14:41 AM

Joy-killing LCD shit shows of horror and despair.

This may be my new favorite recent quote. 

You're such a giver.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:49 PM

Guess I'm gonna have to change my sig!

Implicit ownership of wrecks      Taiwan   Closed
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:36 PM

That was seriously the best server name ever.

This game made me sad. There was potential everywhere, but it was just so ... well, most of you were there. You already know! My ironbreaker was fucking adorable, though.

God Save the Horn Players
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 02:51:08 PM

Those stupid white sunglasses. Though I don't think I've gotten as much entertainment out of a game fiasco before or since. The youtube videos were great. Barnett is still at Mythic isn't he?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 03:17:16 PM

/shrug

Does Mythic even exist anymore?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 03:27:43 PM

Mythic is a carbunkle on the ass of EA's failed online MMOG division attempts. It is the branding for a corporate blemish.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:24 PM

WAR brought me to these forums as well, via Wayfarer if I remember correctly.

Best First 20 levels I've ever had in a game, even beating out Tortage in AoC. I usually don't even like PvP, but the game made it fun........right up until Tor Annroc Argh!

But yeah, count me in with those who just assumed it had been closed.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 04:19:41 PM

Of all the MMO disappointments over the years, this is probably the one I was most excited for.  I had visions of epic night long castle sieges and private channel planned and coordinated city attacks in my head.  Instead what I got was a handful of scenarios that got stale after the 3rd time, and an RvR system characterized by the factions effectively coming to a gentleman's agreement to trade objectives in order to get the maximized reward for completing the associated quests.

The beta was great because everyone knew their character would be wiped.  The result was that everyone just played the castle siege stuff, even as early as Tier 2 when they started showing up, just because it was fun.  

Such a shame.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 06:31:19 PM

WAR was great from 1-20 and crap after that.  Such wasted opportunities.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 07:13:58 PM

The most fun I had with WAR was trolling that one giant fan forum that was the unofficial forums for the game.

The game was doomed from the start because Mythic had learned absolutely nothing from DaoC. Not only did they repeat all their mistakes, they managed to repeat them even FASTER then DaoC originally did. Efficiency!

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:49 PM

This thread made me look up my first post. Was like 6 years ago. G'damn.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:09 PM

/shrug

Does Mythic even exist anymore?

They still run Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima Forever, the iOS version of UO. AFAIK, they have no new projects in the pipeline.

So I'm guessing they'll last until EA feels the need to do some more cost cutting.

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 03:27:47 AM

They put this game on life support around a year ago, 1 server and no patches or updates since.  I was going to play around with it before FFXIV came out and found out it still had a sub and well yeah...f*ck that.   I had some fun with the game but let it die.
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:48 AM

I thought something was afoot when this vanished off Steam a while back.

I barely played, I personally lost interest in Warhammer Online when the original Climax version died and it then became DAoC with a Warhammer skin.
croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 06:52:50 AM

I thought something was afoot when this vanished off Steam a while back.

I barely played, I personally lost interest in Warhammer Online when the original Climax version died and it then became DAoC with a Warhammer skin.

If only. Mark Jacobs and his hard-on for bad EQ-lite PvE. He had no idea what was good about DAoC. Heartbreak

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:20 AM

If only. Mark Jacobs and his hard-on for bad EQ-lite PvE. He had no idea what was good about DAoC. Heartbreak
[/quote]

This
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 01:50:26 PM

Echoing others, the best intro experience to an MMO I've ever had. Those first 20 levels. So good. I still think about them.

And that's why this makes me angrier than any other MMO. It did NOT have to be this way. Jacobs should never be allowed near a game again.

Paul Barnett is going to be employed for longer and better than anyone posting on these boards. That should enrage each and every one of you about what an easy lay gamers are.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 01:53:45 PM

Everyone, it's going to be ok!  Surely DAoC 2 will save us all!

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 05:35:00 PM

Got my Ironbreaker to 30 and remember it being a hell of a lot of fun. Post 30 killed the game for me.

I loved TA in PvP, but I was a punting class and lava was my friend. The game had so much potential it makes me sad to think of how badly it was stuffed up/ignored.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 03:05:06 PM

This had some of the most fun classes I've played in an MMO.  I loved my squiq herder and shaman.  The rest of the game wasn't so fun, esp. after level 20 or so.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:08 PM

Paul Barnett is going to be employed for longer and better than anyone posting on these boards.
Ohhhhh, I see.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer Online shuts down December 18th  
Jump to: