Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 10:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 355011 times)
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: January 16, 2012, 05:09:43 PM

That is one long thread... 221 pages.

I guess I should thank EA for making it easier for me to boycott them without having to do anything about it, since I only really buy games through steam.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #246 on: January 17, 2012, 04:28:45 PM

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

So basically it seems that ME3 is going to require Origin exactly the same way Skyrim requires Steam.  A one time online activation, no install limiit and no need for an internet connection unless you're playing the multi-player part.

I don't see much to be indignant about here.
Because EA is the sort of entity I trust to keep their word or honesty.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: January 17, 2012, 05:21:08 PM

From reading some of that thread the main reasons, that have some basis in a reality I recognise, are:

1. The Origin client is willing to have a look around your system for information not directly relevant to its purpose. They've already been dinged for this in Germany and no one really trusts EA not to do it again or control their use of the information.

2. They're not a relatively neutral vendor in the way that steam is and a multitude of producer specific on-line shops fragments and weakens the PC platform.

3. They're exclusive in that they will not allow their product to be sold on steam as well as their own shop allowing purchasers to make their own decision. They could certainly come to an agreement with steam if they cared to.

None of this is illegal (where the first point is they will adhere to the letter of the law), EA is well within their rights to do it, but none of it works in the consumers favor. 2-3 applies to Blizzard's shop as well though. I would expect it to continue though, for these companies the cost of setting up a web-shop is almost certainly less than the lure of keeping every cent for themselves.

I was also wrong about the thread length. It got to 221 pages before they locked it and started another thread to continue the argument.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:12 PM

It only just occurred to me tonight in conversation about ME that most of the characters have fairly big daddy problems.  Miranda, Jacob, Jack, Tali, Liara, Garrus, Wrex, and Grunt all have fathers (or mother/fathers in Liara's case) who are estranged, insane, dickbags, dead, or all of the above.  Thane is a walking daddy issue for his idiot kid.  And Shepard is daddyless.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #249 on: January 17, 2012, 10:15:03 PM

Hm, the spacer background Shepards may only talk to Mom, but I don't think it indicated either way about his/her dad being dead or whatever?

I'm not sure I'd say Jacob has daddy issues exactly. I mean yes, his mission revolved around his father but it mostly seemed to stress that even though his dad HAD issues, and indeed is a giant douchebag now, that Jacob isn't messed up by it. So I'm not sure it counts? Basically, Jacob is too boring to have daddy issues.

What daddy issues does Liara have?

God Save the Horn Players
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:54 PM

Liara's dad isn't an off-worlder and that's considered weird and perverted, right?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #251 on: January 17, 2012, 11:12:03 PM

Liara's dad isn't an off-worlder and that's considered weird and perverted, right?

Liara has two mommies.

-Rasix
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #252 on: January 18, 2012, 12:22:38 AM

But that doesn't make it a specific daddy issues sort of thing. "Daddy issues" generally invokes the stupid "I have to be super perfect so my aloof father will love me and/or wish he loved me BEFORE" thing, not "any problem, ever, that vaguely might involve someone's father." Tali has daddy issues. Miranda has daddy issues. Thane caused daddy issues for his son. Liara has weird asari racism issues.

And Grunt doesn't have daddy issues. He could not possibly give less of a fuck about what his "father" would think about him.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:24:26 AM by Sjofn »

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:53 AM

Hm, the spacer background Shepards may only talk to Mom, but I don't think it indicated either way about his/her dad being dead or whatever?

I'm not sure I'd say Jacob has daddy issues exactly. I mean yes, his mission revolved around his father but it mostly seemed to stress that even though his dad HAD issues, and indeed is a giant douchebag now, that Jacob isn't messed up by it. So I'm not sure it counts? Basically, Jacob is too boring to have daddy issues.

What daddy issues does Liara have?

Liara's mommy/daddy tried to help genocide the galaxy?  I figured that would probably count.  And as long as I'm thinking about Asari mommy/daddies, Samara and her relationship with her kid is pretty twisted too.  For his part, most every bit of dialogue where Jacob is talking about his life involves bringing up his dad.  And Grunt's doing his utmost to live up to that whole 'ultimate Krogan' thing that the scientist was making him for, though whether he's doing so for motives other than the typical Krogan desire to be a badass is unclear.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #254 on: January 18, 2012, 01:41:36 AM

Yes, Liara's mom (the bartender was the 'father'  why so serious?) was a bad guy in ME1, but Liara doesn't have issues from it. She isn't driven to be perfectly perfect so her mother's sins are forgiven, or so her absentee father would be proud of her, or whatever. She just had a shitty mom (who was reaper'd, which mitigates it somewhat), that doesn't automatically equal "daddy issues."

Miranda or Tali are much more typical "daddy issues" characters. Miranda has her perfection hang ups, but she seems pretty driven to get to a point where her daddy will be SO SORRY he didn't love her, take that you bastard! Tali also tries to be the perfect admiral's daughter, in the hopes daddy will love her. Those are major driving forces in why those two do the things they do, act the way they do. Jacob, on the other hand, will bring up his father, but nothing he does is to prove himself to daddy or anything like that. His arc with his father is more "Shit, he's alive? He IS my father, I should. Like. Check this out." Then he turns out to be a cock, and the whole thing is basically dropped, because Jacob was over any potential father issues he had ages ago. The deepest thing he has to say about it is essentially "Yeah, that kinda sucked. Oh well." A far cry from Miranda's EVERYTHING I DO IS TAINTED BY DADDY thing.

And as for Grunt, like I said, he didn't give a fuck about Okeer. At all. He didn't give a shit about being the perfect krogan, either, until he actually had a clan or anything worth fighting for. His motivations don't have much to do with Okeer. He exists because of Okeer, but that's about where it ends for Grunt.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:43:37 AM by Sjofn »

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #255 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:51 PM

ME2 has an issue in that the personal story arcs happen, then they are barely mentioned again. I know that the idea was those arcs help rid the characters of some kind of baggage, but in a lot of cases you'd suggest it would add to them (e.g. Jacob's dad has set up a rape camp).

Liara can help you kill her mother and then gets over it relatively quickly. (I know, I know - mind control - but a little more emotion would have been appropriate.)

But yes, now that you mention it, there are a lot of ME2 characters who have parent / child issues.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:43 AM

It's deep and meaningful adult writing, duh.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #257 on: January 19, 2012, 11:03:41 AM

Grunt? What are you guys talking about?

OH! You mean that piece of Krogan trash I never took out of storage and if I had I would have jettisoned into space? That thing is called Grunt? Who knew!

Man I love my version of Shepard. Heart

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #258 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:37 AM

You actively hate fun.  why so serious?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #259 on: January 19, 2012, 06:38:53 PM

I played ME1 with my actively-alien-intolerant Shepherd and Wrex was the only character I could actually keep off my ship.

Keep meaning to start ME2 with the same character. Grunt stays in the box, Legion is shipped off as parts and no non-human will get a loyalty mission completed (and even the human loyalty missions will be done under extreme sufferance).

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #260 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:53 PM

How could you hate Grunt? you could've taught him many things. Many good, sweet things.

Edit by Trippy: View at your own risk, NSFW
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:49:18 PM by Trippy »

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: January 21, 2012, 11:45:23 PM

ACK!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: January 22, 2012, 01:33:51 AM

Oh Dear God.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #263 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:50 AM

Oh Dear God.

I may need to scrub the memory centers of my brain after that one.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #264 on: January 22, 2012, 08:17:11 AM

I'll swim against the stream and say I like the possibility shown in the artful drawing. It invokes confusing but pleasant feelings!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #265 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:10 AM

That particular artist had done more drawings on that subject, incidentally.

The more you know...

(and yeah, when playing ME2 my general impression was that majority of those personal quests revolved around dealing with family members in one way or another. To the point in started to feel repetitive, in a way)
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:01 PM

In other news, there's a set of Mass Effect Skylanders figures rolling out this summer.

The catch?

Each one contains a code for Mass Effect 3 DLC, exclusive to North America, and only for the PC and 360. It will cost somewhere in the $130 range to obtain this DLC. Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:57:35 PM by koro »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #267 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:10 PM

Every announcement seems to make it easier to ignore this game.
Who'd have thought EA would overreach on the DLC grab-bag! I'm shocked!  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #268 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:37 PM

I'm always surprised at the amount of sleep you guys apparently lose over DLC.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:52 PM

Every announcement seems to make it easier to ignore this game.
Who'd have thought EA would overreach on the DLC grab-bag! I'm shocked!  why so serious?

Because new announcements for this game have almost no upside.  (The notable exception would be patching in the gay.)

It's ME3.  It'll probably be brilliant and we knew that much before it was even officially announced.

E: Less fanboyishly, if you didn't like the first two very much, announcing a radical departure from those two games would be a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 07:42:16 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:34 PM

In other news, there's a set of Mass Effect Skylanders figures rolling out this summer.

I'll buy the Miranda figure.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:44 PM

The catch?

Each one contains a code for Mass Effect 3 DLC, exclusive to North America, and only for the PC and 360. It will cost somewhere in the $130 range to obtain this DLC. Have fun!

This will almost certainly be cheat mode gear DLC, not actual content DLC that you might care about.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #272 on: January 23, 2012, 12:47:22 AM

It depends on what it is and if anyone outside of the specified areas can get it.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #273 on: January 23, 2012, 03:16:36 AM

pirate bay will fix it.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #274 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:34 AM

Because it reminds me that I'm poor and a 2nd class player who simply has to trudge through shit tuned for DLC items rather than paying to win.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: January 23, 2012, 05:37:18 AM

Luckily up to now it was tuned for normal players and DLC items were a "put coins here to win" option.

But yes, the possibility for it to be the other way round is certainly here.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #276 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:57 AM

ME2 felt fine to me without DLC weapons...shit, the most broken weapon in the game to me was the awesome assault rifle you get from the Collector ship. Hits hard, has a mile-deep clip, tons of ammo capacity.

Wait, was the nuke gun a DLC item? I know the arc gun and freeze gun were "DLC" items but they sucked generally.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #277 on: January 23, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

Nuke gun was not DLC I am pretty sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #278 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:34 AM

M-920 Cain

Cost: 25,000 Iridium

The effectiveness and efficiency of mass-effect-based weapon technology has rendered large-scale deployment of highly explosive weaponry all but obsolete in infantry weapons.

Normandy's scientists have prototyped a modified version of traditional high-explosive rounds that is applied to a 25-gram slug. When accelerated to 5 km/s, the round is devastating. Though a technically inaccurate label, this prototype weapon is nicknamed the "Nuke Launcher," and its high-explosive matrix generates an archetypical mushroom cloud on impact.

Inflicts high damage with large area of effect. Very effective against armor, shields, and barriers.

Note: Unlocked after 3 Heavy Weapon Ammo upgrades.

-Rasix
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: January 23, 2012, 11:39:50 AM

Useless trivia: The Cain was not (as many assume) named after the biblical figure. It was named for Fallout designer Tim Cain.

<--- Guy who named the Cain

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3  
Jump to: