Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:59:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 353595 times)
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: November 14, 2011, 02:29:18 PM

Using this metaphor though, i'd say it also shows the game council logic fails pretty badly -- the US declared "war on terrorism" in response and actually went to kick what they considered to be the source on their own territory.

I should have spent more time describing a sort of Maginot Line-ification along the Perseus Veil. Maybe I would have if I'd been on the project into the side quest stage.

The 9/11 analogy only takes it so far. The geth in this case were less like al-Qaeda and more like a rogue section of the Chinese army. The US can roll over small mideast countries looking for the people who screwed them, but they couldn't roll over China. The best they could do would be to surround them with a military cordon, attempt to diplomatically isolate them (inapplicable in the case of the geth; they've already diplomatically isolated themselves), and watch them reaaaal close.

Except that still does not make a whole lot of sense. If a hostile nation launches a huge warship at the center of your civilization in basically a weapon of mass destruction type attack you don't just sit their guarding the borders going we shall watch them close. That would pretty much be world war 3 time no matter how big they are they have already demonstrated their hostility in a massive way letting them sit and gather forces rebuild said death ship again is stupidity of an epic nature.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: November 14, 2011, 05:41:03 PM

Yeah, except for the plot device of "the geth are being controlled / have been reprogrammed by the Reapers, so it's not their fault, so they shouldn't be annihilated."
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 14, 2011, 06:46:55 PM

Well, there's also the fact that:

1) The Geth came out of fucking nowhere (they'd been doing jack shit for 200 years)
2) The Geth blew apart the Citadel fleet, the biggest in the Galaxy.
3) Only the mass human fleet coming through + Normandy meant anything was left.

Which means that in the two years since ME1, they'd be lucky to gear back up to pre-Sovereign levels. The game kinda hinted around that the Citadel races fleets were stretched thinly as it was, even without the Geth as an enemy. There was that whole weird-ass shit about the relative fleet sizes, which meant everyone was restricted to whatever the Asari decided to build....

And humans were given the colonization rights they had because the Citadel wanted humans to handle watching the Geth and dealing with Batarians and basically the whole thing was a ploy to take pressure off the Citadel races and let the humans deal with the headaches.

I don't find it all that jarring that the Council would decide that the problem was just the Geth, and that other than rebuilding they didn't need to do anything else. Because other than trying to rebuild, they didn't have the time or money for much else. Not without slamming down every panic button they had, and what politician wants to admit to Armageddon?

Especially if you have to admit the humans prevented it. Even replacing the Council with humans, you'd have the same problem -- Humanity would be stretched just as damn thin and couldn't do anything more without full mobilization, and politically -- the Council got offed, Humans took over, and now they want to claim war is coming?

Good luck getting the Turians, Asari, and Salarians to buy that.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #178 on: November 14, 2011, 06:52:18 PM

Yeah the whole "Ah yes, 'Reapers'" thing was like. The least of my issues with some of the story stuff in ME2.

God Save the Horn Players
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #179 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17:50 PM

In ME2, there are several news items about Council military buildups
I didn't really get such impression, at least not in the sense any of that was tied to the expected geth/"reapers" invasion -- perhaps because i had the Council explicitly insist both in my face and to general public that there's absolutely no need for such a buildup, so i interpreted these news pieces as simple act of restoring what was lost in the Citadel attack (i don't remember hearing about the Turian bit, is that maybe something that happens if you establish the earth as new power in ME, and in reaction to that?) Plus, Stormwaltz also didn't mention such buildup specifically for the geth/"reapers" was actually taking place? Just the border patrols etc.

(derelict reaper)
It conveniently loses orbit and gets lost in the thick planet's atmosphere after you shot up its core.
Yeah, but it's not something you know is going to happen in advance, when you learn about its existence and/or location. So when that bit of revelation happens you'd imagine at least some Shepards would be very eager to pass that info to the Council (in fact, i'd expect that option even for the originally planned version of that mission because srsly, just because TIM says "Shepard, my shit broke again, go and fix it nao" doesn't mean Shepard is actually willing to blindly obey)
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

The derelict reaper mission - and the side-mission with the perfectly functional prothean beacon - are the two parts of ME2's plot that I have the hardest time buying.  I can't understand any reason why a Shepard that is only going along with TIM because she HAS to and no one else will help would do anything other than page the Council, the Alliance, and anyone else she can damn well get the attention of as soon as she learns the location of the derelict reaper - all before even considering landing on the thing.  Granted, it may not have helped (it goes down anyway, the short time studying it was 'inconclusive' or something) but not even trying to inform anyone is one of the biggest moments in the game where it just doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, Shepard has ever been very rational when it comes to dealing with the Council as far as the reaper thing is concerned.  From Shepard's side, the Council's viewpoint should appear pretty rational - they want more proof, and you haven't been able to give them much, at least during ME1.  All the times in ME1 where Shepard insists that "reapers are real, TRUST ME!" make me roll my eyes at Shepard because really, you don't expect a government that rules over trillions or quadrillions of sentients to mobilize their entire military on the word of anyone, even the most trusted person ever, much less the rookie.  Of course, some people on the council *cough* Turian *cough* have continually tried to antagonize Shepard intentionally, but the Asari has always been the rational one, and so has the Salarian to a considerable degree.

Besides, I'm not exactly sure what people would expect the council to do even if they fully supported Shepard and believed in the reapers.  Ok, yeah, they're out there.  Now what?  Unless they're going to send the whole galaxy into wartime mode where as much production is converted to military purposes as possible - which the public simply wouldn't understand or accept without an obvious enemy - the only thing they can do is rebuild reasonable levels of military and stock up resources for the impending battle.  Nothing that happened in ME2 seemed to call for action from the Council, because any such action would be unproductive.  Sending even a few ships to investigate the Terminus Systems may have caused political trouble and war that they simply could not afford if they wanted to prepare their fleet for the real threat. 

Additionally, I have never seen one hint of evidence that anyone, even Shepard, has seen, to suggest the Reapers are going to be a threat within a few years, much less a human lifetime.  Why?  Because as far as we know, we shut down their way back into the galaxy and now they have to travel here slowly from who knows how far away, a journey that could reasonably take decades or centuries without the Citadel mass relay being open for them to arrive in.  Imagine if they did go into full military mobilization, churning out thousands of warships, and then...nothing.  For half a millenium.  Nothing.  Finally, five hundred years later, the reaper fleet arrives.  From the point of view of Shepard and the Council, that is not only possible, but it seems to be logical and probable.

In ME3, I would really love to learn that the Council has taken the reaper issue seriously since the attack on the Citadel, they've just been doing it in secret and in the background, shoring up the military and doing whatever research they have been able to in order to build weapons to combat this threat.  And they didn't tell Shepard because, well, Shepard has shown herself to be pretty unstable even when she's right, so it might be a good idea to keep her a little distant from this.  There's plenty of ways to still make them seem like reasonable, intelligent leaders that show some caution rather than abject stupidity (by ignoring even the possibility of a threat) or utter recklessness (by going into full mobilization mode with no further information on what the threat is or when it's going to happen).

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 06:37:48 AM

Well if you're thinking in terms of rational decisions, the Reapers make a huge tactical mistake:  they all pile into the Solar System to kill the Earth.  Supernova the Sun and the rest of the galaxy wins the war.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 08:19:33 AM

If someone has a weapon that can make suns go supernova, the rest of the universe is screwed anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 09:11:16 AM

Plot Shield > supernova, though.

Will probably take Shepard going up the individual Reapers' rectum exhaust port and navigating the maze linear twisty passages all way to the self-destruct button.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:26 AM

Nah, Shephard's going to do it Kirk style, and defeat the cold logic of the reaper AI with earnest human emotion.

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 11:33:56 AM

Hmm, so the Reaper AI as the next love interest?

I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS. why so serious?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #186 on: November 17, 2011, 12:06:58 PM

ASSUMING CONTROL

<funk music starts playing>

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:20 PM

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #188 on: November 17, 2011, 05:49:41 PM

In ME3, I would really love to learn that the Council has taken the reaper issue seriously since the attack on the Citadel, they've just been doing it in secret and in the background, shoring up the military and doing whatever research they have been able to in order to build weapons to combat this threat.  And they didn't tell Shepard because, well, Shepard has shown herself to be pretty unstable even when she's right, so it might be a good idea to keep her a little distant from this.  There's plenty of ways to still make them seem like reasonable, intelligent leaders that show some caution rather than abject stupidity (by ignoring even the possibility of a threat) or utter recklessness (by going into full mobilization mode with no further information on what the threat is or when it's going to happen).

This.

I'd really appreciate it to see the Council say, "Our own independent investigations found out evidence of the Reapers as well, and we've been preparing contingency plans ever since. We didn't tell you because, well, why the hell would we tell a Cerebus-linked operative anything and because it is above your pay grade anyway."

However, such an approach removes some player agency, so I expect Shepherd to get a big "I TOLD YOU SO" scene, just to prove that Shepherd is always right.

I haven't played The Arrival, so don't know how that changes things.

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: November 17, 2011, 06:01:39 PM

Not at all. It sets the background for an event referenced in the beginning of ME3, but does remove any choice or ambiguity about it at its end. At most, the player choice in that mission will gather a casual mention in ME3.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #190 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:37 PM

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: November 17, 2011, 06:56:18 PM

Well, I sure know what world I won't save in ME3.  why so serious?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:23 AM

The Collector's Edition: lots and lots of stuff.

Honest. An amazing amount of sheer STUFF, both in-game and out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMzRLI9yrg

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: November 18, 2011, 12:07:57 PM

Or.... usual mix of real world tat and in game cheat mode gear, plus it seems to imply an extra companion, which I would have been mildly irritated by in the past.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #194 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:56 PM

I wonder if they're overhauling the reload system again this time.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: November 18, 2011, 06:02:46 PM

That art book looks neat Heart
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: November 19, 2011, 08:29:04 AM

If someone has a weapon that can make suns go supernova, the rest of the universe is screwed anyway.
Hastrom.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: November 19, 2011, 07:15:22 PM

http://andromeda.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_bomb

Great show until it turned into The Kevin Sorbo Hour, Starring Kevin Sorbo!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: November 24, 2011, 08:31:33 PM

Mass Effect Marathon 2, a fund raiser for Child's Play, begins at 12:01 AM. They'll be playing the games until midnight Sunday - repeatedly if they finish early.

If you were planning to donate to Child's Play, please considering doing so through them. And if you donate to ME Marathon, please consider sponsoring Legion (purely as a gesture in support of equal rights for all sapients, regardless of their biology or lack thereof).

www.memarathon.com

- Henry Cobb
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: November 25, 2011, 04:21:21 PM

Hastrom.
Causing a supernova would eradicate all life in a radius of several thousand lightyears, due to such intense gamma radiation.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: November 26, 2011, 08:57:10 AM

Eh.  Gamma ray bursts are supposedly created as beams, so not all planets in a radius would be affected (only those above / below the poles of the star).  And, they are created by stars massive enough to go supernova naturally and collapse into black holes or neutron stars, so it's possible that aiming this weapon at a regular-sized sun would collapse the sun but not produce the gamma ray burst.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: November 26, 2011, 01:35:07 PM

And it would create a planet of hulk monsters!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: November 27, 2011, 04:03:21 PM

Umm.  Only massive stars or binary star systems can go nova or supernova.

Also, you may rest assured that a star going supernova will emit all sorts of radiation in all directions, the gamma emmisions from the remnant following after might be directional, but by then nobody would give a fuck.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:32:47 PM by Sheepherder »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: November 27, 2011, 11:02:26 PM

Haestrom is prematurely aging into a red giant. It's not going to explode.

Excessive simplification: a star is a sustained fusion explosion that exists in balance with an "implosive" force of gravity. Dark energy effectively reduces mass, and hence gravity. The explosive force starts to "win," and the star swells.

I'm sure that in real life there would be other repercussions I didn't think of, but this was as far as I was interested in pursuing the matter.

This was me trying to logic out someone else's extremely boneheaded idea.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:04:03 PM by Stormwaltz »

- Henry Cobb
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: November 28, 2011, 10:04:22 AM

Dark energy has mass, it's why people think it probably exists. awesome, for real
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: November 28, 2011, 07:59:25 PM

I think you're confusing Mass Effect universe dark energy http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_Zero with real world dark matter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter Sheepster.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: November 28, 2011, 09:06:36 PM

I'm just being a smartass, ignore me.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #207 on: November 29, 2011, 12:39:14 AM

Is this out yet?

It isn't out yet, is it.  Heartbreak

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: November 29, 2011, 12:49:29 AM

You'll have to get your fix somewhere else Sjofn!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #209 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:41 AM

God dammit don't make me play DA:O again.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3  
Jump to: