Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Isengard trailer up, due 9/27 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isengard trailer up, due 9/27  (Read 59047 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2011, 06:14:44 AM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:04 AM

Wow I didn't expect to see it that soon!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:11 AM

They've been saying this fall for a pretty long time.

The pre-order bonuses are insanely awesome.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:39 AM

Can buy with turbine points?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:07 AM

Dunno, haven't checked in game yet.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:08 AM

The web site says $29.99 - $49.99 so looks like real money. The different pricing tiers are based on what pre-order bonuses you want.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:31 AM

Even the base pre-order bonuses are pretty excellent. I mean, buying it now for 25% experience boost for the next 3.5 months? At the lowest price point? That's pretty awesome, though becomes less awesome the longer you wait... which is precisely what they're banking on.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:24 AM

They're taking the hobbi-- oh.  awesome, for real

75 is a big jump. I assume the 65 [and even 60] instances will still function as 'endgame' with the scaling wotsit? Speaking of which: I might be tempted to jump on this if turbine implements an LFG interface that works ...

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:36 AM

Even the base pre-order bonuses are pretty excellent. I mean, buying it now for 25% experience boost for the next 3.5 months? At the lowest price point? That's pretty awesome, though becomes less awesome the longer you wait... which is precisely what they're banking on.

Is it only for 3.5 months? The preorder page just says 'until level 65' so presumably it applies to everything under 65, forever?

EDIT: Bought it, because I am a sucker, and there's nothing I've seen yet about the time on that being limited.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:08:17 PM by Ingmar »

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:47 PM

That's pretty cool then. Still, I bet the +25% XP goes live for everyone on expansion launch so investing early makes you a radder dude than the guy next to you who didn't preorder early.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:52 PM

Yeah I would expect you get it when you buy it regardless, stuff like that is typically designed to accelerate people to the new endgame level or whatever.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:30:20 PM

I might be tempted to jump on this if turbine implements an LFG interface that works ...

unless they say they're doing it, don't expect it.  I'd prefer a more PUG friendly experience than GLFF, but I guess it's working, otherwise they would have said something.

dunno if I'm going to play.  Haven't logged in since 3.2?  The end game is the LI grind, which is too much like (economic) real life.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:28:11 PM

Seems you can buy it later with points ( No perks) , but pre-order is cash money.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:53 PM

Cannot wait.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:10:51 PM

so lvl 75, 24 man raid, new skills, but no new classes/races?  new virtues or just going to 11?  any more details than what's on http://isengard.lotro.com/?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:01 PM

I wouldn't ever expect new races, just based on the lore. Unless we're going to be playing Woses or something.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:38 PM

Ents.  Start at level 55, can only have 2 quests in the log at a time.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 11:38:22 PM

Someone made a decent case for Beornings as a race, but I don't see it happening.

To my own surprise, I didn't immediately preorder. I looked at the page, felt a profound ambivalence, and walked away. I'd like the full slew of cosmetics, but as a grandfathered lifer, I don't need anything else in the soopar-expensive version. Lately my enthusiasm for LotRO has been cooled, and it's difficult to justify the expense.

I still love the game when I have something to do, but after playing for almost four years, I don't have anything left to do. The last patch gave me two skirmishes, one of which is effectively unplayable for a soloing squishy class. According to Raptr, I've only played four hours of LotRO in the last month.

I'm hoping I'll get excited again closer to ship, as more details become available.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:33:07 AM

Would have liked to have seen a new class, oh well.  Looks pretty good, but I will hold off.  I'm very surprised and happy it's coming out so soon, I figured holiday season. 
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 04:21:31 AM

If you haven't checked the dev blogs, it looks like they're doing full blown redesigns of all the classes to make them easier and more functional hybrids. I'd take that over a new class any day, given some of the existing issues with ease of use in a lot of the current classes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:46 AM

Yep. Too many classes are locked into ONE role right now (I'm looking at you, wardens) and most others can only do two at most (and you're locked into the thing your spec is 'best at'... RKs may be an exception?). If there's anything to be learned from rift, it's that character flexibility = good. Maybe dual specs?  awesome, for real

I'm satisfied with the captain redesign, for instance... all three 'talent trees' are distinct for each role, which they weren't before (other than the healing tree, obv).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:46:08 AM by Zetor »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45:58 AM

Waite, what? That was one of the good design points of LOTRO, hybrid classes. Well before Rift or other games picked up on it.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:30 AM

Errr, not really... WOW had some of those hybrids back in 2004, and I'm sure some other dikus (like EQ2) had them too. Warning: WOW parallels ahead.  why so serious?

A champion is a damage class focusing on aoe. You can sort of tank, but it's the same as a 31/5/15 vanilla WOW warrior going into defensive stance with a 1-hander, ie. not that good.
A hunter can do damage and debuffs... not sure about cc (I don't have a hunter).
A minstrel can do damage or healing... when in damage mode it's just like a moonkin / shadowpriest / elemental shaman in WOW.
A captain used to be a buffbot with some healing and debuffs and bad (bursty) damage, which is just like ye olde ret paladin, with more tools. With the update, they can finally choose to be good at one role.
A RK breaks the mold kinda since they can heal and damage with the same 'spec', but they can't do it at the same time (which is understandable)
A guardian can tank OR dps, which is not that different from a cat/bear feral druid (who can switch roles mid-combat, even).
A burglar mostly controls and debuffs, they can kinda-sorta tank for small groups I guess.
A warden can tank. Damage is fine for soloing, but they run out of energy in groups and their damage is underwhelming anyway.
A loremaster is a wildcard, but they're a support/control character (unless they spec for damage, which gimps their control skills).

How would lotro be hurt by allowing dual specs or changing some of the classes I listed so they're at least as flexible as the RK or guardian?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:54:04 AM by Zetor »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:04 AM

Yes really.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:12 AM

I like your well-reasoned argument.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 09:57:21 AM

I had it years ago already.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 12:12:08 PM

I'm a huge fan of LOTRO's classes but the notion that they're hybrids in the way that WoW and Rift currently define the term is stupid and wrong. Guardians can't actually do good DPS like a WoW Warrior or Druid can with a quick flick of the button. Minstrels sort of can switch well as of a couple months ago but to say their DPS was "good" for the bulk of the game's lifespan is just wrong.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 12:57:45 PM

I haven't found in the last year any problems with class balance.  If anything as a former raid minnie I'm jealous at how well RK's have taken over the main healer role. Regardless, people seem to be getting on quite well -- no need to hybridize classes anymore.  Unless this more about solo'ifying the game, which I also don't think is needed.  It's still an MMO -- just incent and help people to group more if it's a problem.

Re. new classes:  I was sure (?) they said somewhere with the next big expansion there would be new classes (plural).  Everyone for some reason has been going on about mounted combat for so long (which I dont think is needed) I just assumed they were going to add some Rohirrim special classes.  Along with a Rohirrim race of men.

So yeah.  Great game. Very glad it's doing well for Turbine.  But I'm taking a break for a bit longer.

EDIT:  why is this 25% exp bonus supposed to be a help?  Wouldn't it make sense to just lower the curve now to get everyone at 65?   I wish they would either lower the curve or get on with refactoring the other zones after lvl 20.  I just can not stand 35-45 (looking at you Evendim or Trollshaws) and it feels like its been that way since the launch of Moria.  (and I know they re-did Evendim: it still sucks)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:10:37 PM by Soln »
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 01:18:33 PM

New Evendim is awesome. You're crazy.

As I'm reading the proposed changes, they seem mainly like streamlining, soloizing and quality of life stuffing the classes. Redesign may be too strong a term but it's definitely more than just giving each class a pass, at least based on what we're seeing so far. Random example: Warden's getting a new on proc five move Gambit as a one button press sometimes, plus a force taunt that's not retarded. Or for Champions, making tanking dual wield with no need for a shield and turning that midway stance (name escapes me) into a +damage for AE stance.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 01:27:05 PM

Rohan has been a possible origin for Men since the game came out (not that the origin thing means much other than a title and maybe restricting your hair colors.)

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 03:33:32 PM

Seriously, the classes in LotRO are one of the best things about it. They're all a little hybridy, kind of fuzzy around the edges, not really fitting squarely in any one archetypical role. A whole group playing their class, rather than just their DIKU role, to the fullest makes an enormous difference.

No, they aren't what other games call hybrids, but a game like WoW doesn't technically do classes. It does roles. Which combination of roles you can fill is determined by your class. I'm not entirely sure that is the definition of a hybrid, because it's close to entirely either-or. An Arms warrior is nothing like a Protection Warrior, even solo. Likewise is a Balance druid nothing like a Feral druid. You have other skills, gear, rotations, priorities.

LotRO does hybriding in a subtler/messier way. Speccing is more about reinforcement than redefinition.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 09:22:23 PM

I never said lotro's class design wasn't awesome (in fact, I've said at least 4-5 times that their class design is why I am still interested in the game after all these years :p). That doesn't contradict the need for streamlined specs, more flexibility within classes, or multiple specs. I am also mostly talking about (harder) instances here -- you can do lower-level instances without a healer/tank even in wow just fine (I remember our 4-hunter 1-rogue gnomeregan run back in '04).

Example (and this contributed to most of my guildies getting fed up with the game, though Lothlorien was what broke the camel's back for most): the high-level 'mains' in my guild are 2 minstrels, a burglar, a loremaster, and sometimes a guardian. First off, this is 4/5 people, so we can't really do 6mans without pugging (and that just doesn't happen on Silverlode -- refer to my complaints about LFG), and 3mans without having people sit out. The group has a well-defined tank if we have a guardian, otherwise we are kinda SOL (we used loremaster pets, protector soldiers and burglar tanking / minstrel offtanking to not-so-good effect). Our damage is very low since the 'dps minstrel', the burglar and the loremaster are all support characters, and I [loremaster] can't spec for balls-to-the-wall damage without gimping my control, which is crucial for 3-man skirmishes and instances. This was also before the minstrel pass, so the 2nd minstrel was not able to do much at all.

Our alt group has two wardens, a guardian, a champion, and a loremaster. You can't really do anything outside of skirmishes (w/ herbalist pet/s) with this group; both of the wardens HAVE to tank since their dps is bad and clunky, the guardian has to use overpower stance... except he also wanted to be a tank and has specced/geared that way. Oh well.

This would be greatly improved if the classes had the option to be good at some of the things they do (like captains after their redesign), and be able to switch between these specs to best fit the group's needs.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:35:59 PM by Zetor »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:54 AM

Massively has a new article. Crafting to 7, virtues to 12.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-a-ride-through-lotros-rise-of-isengard/

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:39 AM

Amped to 11.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 02:45:48 PM

Level 12 Virtues?  Freaking lame.  Was hoping for 15.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Isengard trailer up, due 9/27  
Jump to: