Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What went right.  (Read 110084 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:39 PM

To balance out the gripes thread I figured we ought to compile the good stuff as well.

~Autolooting.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:12:49 PM

Rifts. Public quests done right. and not only those... the zone bosses, the random attacks on hubs, all of it.
Overall feel of the game. I don't like the word polish, but it fits and has a lot to it.
Autoquest prompts - if an NPC has multiple quests, it automatically goes to the next in the line.
CLASSES (choices - right now it feels like there are -omgwtf so many- classes to each of the four archetypes.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

Isn't this a bit premature?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:56 PM

What I like so far:

- Soul system:  I think some classes don't get a ton of benefit over mixing souls, but it's fun to play around with.  It has the potential to keep me trying out different stuff while limiting the total number of alts I would have to make to try it all.  I still think the interaction between many of the souls is lacking in areas and could be improved by making lower tier talents/base abilities more interesting.
- Crafting interface
- Autoloot
- I CAN MOVE MY UNIT FRAMES. This is pretty good for a stock UI.  If they stick to a no addon policy, it will need some work.
- Rifts/invasions.  Even if it is mostly zerg or go home, it's a fun addition to an otherwise static questing experience.
- Mount being cash and not level limited.
- Being a bit more serious than WoW and yet still having some humor here and there.
- Artifacts.  Nice carry over from EQ2 design.
- Game is mostly rock solid. I haven't crashed yet. I think I've crashed in every single MMO at least once before this. 
- Pretty good graphics and little in the way of system lag.  I like the look of the graphics.  A good mix of poly count + style.
- Pace of combat.

-Rasix
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:22:39 PM

To be honest I could have had a what went right thread for warhammer since they did do a 'couple' things well. It's not so much about rift succeeding or not, I hoenstly couldnt tell you if i think itll do well or not.  The game does however shine in a few places and I think it's nice to highlight that since I'm bitching about it in the other thread.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:18:33 PM

This is not true. The collectors edition mount is free, level 1, 60%. There are purchasable 60% ones as well, with no level restriction (I think; for some reason I thought they were level 20 but it's not showing that this is the case in game atm). However, 90% mounts require level 40, and 110% mounts require level 50.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:20 PM

1.  Artifacts.  They have me obsessed.
2.  Just the sheer technical competence Trion has shown so far.  Startling for an MMO.
3.  Immersive, mainly due to 2, above.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:01:45 PM

(I think; for some reason I thought they were level 20 but it's not showing that this is the case in game atm).

They cut the level requirement for 1st mount.
Cash is the only gate.
+1 Fun

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:51:39 PM

Mega-invasions/events.  I believe we had the 1st post-release ones during peak time tonite.  The devs opened the floodgates for a huge Life Invasion (whole map was green) + lvl 20 uber elite and 1 hr. later did it again a bit smaller.  By the end of the 2nd invasion, I had every bit of meaningful rare planar gear the zone gives you plus some lvl 20 stuff to open.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

After this, leveling became much easier and I also opened up the scholar's gear.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:43 AM

I did Realm of the Fae for the first time last Sunday and was highly impressed by the environment effects in the final section.

Also, this game just flat out rocks for framerate in massive crowded fights. I have yet to go into into slideshow mode.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:05 AM

I did Realm of the Fae for the first time last Sunday and was highly impressed by the environment effects in the final section.

Also, this game just flat out rocks for framerate in massive crowded fights. I have yet to go into into slideshow mode.

I agree that the last part of RotF is awesome, but in general the dungeon is kind of a trash overload.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:30 AM

Shinies.  I love finding shinies in unexpected places.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:01:26 AM

Shinies.  I love finding shinies in unexpected places.

There was this tree sticking out over a cliff, just horizontal enough to be climbable, so I climbed out on it just for the heck of it, only to find a shiny artifact nestled between some branches.

I also got a random rift reward that turned me into a vampire bat for a little bit. That was a nice random bit of fun.

I'm finding more little things about this game that I like, it is really growing on me more and more.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:11:00 AM

Got my first piece of rare planar last night (chest) - checked the stats and  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

Now to farm participate in some more rift events...   awesome, for real  At 14, I feel like I can actually help out with most of them in one way or another now without falling back to my dinky heals because everything's resisting.

All of that said, the game is remarkably playable, stable, and fun for having just released.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:46 AM

Is that the Guardian equivalent of IF, the level 17 zone?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 10:46:03 AM

Is that the Guardian equivalent of IF, the level 17 zone?

Guardian: Realm of the Fae - Silverwood - level 17
Defiant: Iron Tombs - Freemarch - level 19
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 11:03:07 AM

I also got a random rift reward that turned me into a vampire bat for a little bit. That was a nice random bit of fun.

Heh, I love the chalice of the bat.  I sit in the crafting hall with that thing on while I'm churning out stuff, since that apparently doesn't count as activating an ability.
vos
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 12:11:30 PM

Two very small things that made me smile...

During an invasion in the first zone, one of the NPCs was getting attacked and a chat bubble appeared over his head saying "Call in the Brute Squad"

And second there's an section in the western mining desert area called Rock Ridge.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 12:34:52 PM

I'm only level 13, but so far I haven't seen any humor in the game, it's all very grimdarkohgodeveryonesdeadfromtheinvasionhelp!!

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 12:37:22 PM

I'm only level 13, but so far I haven't seen any humor in the game, it's all very grimdarkohgodeveryonesdeadfromtheinvasionhelp!!

It's an MMO.  You're not supposed to smile or laugh while playing.  SERIOUS BIZNESS!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 12:52:28 PM

There's some humor there, and the occasional pop culture reference, but it's not like WoW was/is, where you're getting smacked in the face with it every 3 steps.  However, the setting is supposed to be somewhat dark, and frankly, I rather like not having a Monty Python reference every 30 seconds.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 01:05:52 PM

If you play Guardian, the "Scotty" quest line at the Silverwood School is pretty silly. There is also a lot of "Scotty" trash loot -- homework, pencils, mugs, dice, bong, underwear, condoms, lube...

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 01:08:38 PM

There's some humor there, and the occasional pop culture reference, but it's not like WoW was/is, where you're getting smacked in the face with it every 3 steps.  However, the setting is supposed to be somewhat dark, and frankly, I rather like not having a Monty Python reference every 30 seconds.

Yeah I have noticed some subtle humor, and also find the overall darker vibe a nice change of pace from some of the overly silly aspects of WoW.

Though I think everyone riding around on giant two headed turbo turtles is pretty funny in and of itself.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:15:58 PM

There's some humor there, and the occasional pop culture reference, but it's not like WoW was/is, where you're getting smacked in the face with it every 3 steps.  However, the setting is supposed to be somewhat dark, and frankly, I rather like not having a Monty Python reference every 30 seconds.

Yeah I have noticed some subtle humor, and also find the overall darker vibe a nice change of pace from some of the overly silly aspects of WoW.

I agree its a nice change. I mean considering the gods just abandoned the world, and the world its self is tearing apart, I'm not surprised people are a bit down.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:17 PM

I agree its a nice change. I mean considering the gods just abandoned the world, and the world its self is tearing apart, I'm not surprised people are a bit down.

I do wish they went a little 'more' dark though. There's no blood/nudity or really much violence and even the quests seem very pg13.  They don't have the rampant puns wow does(a plus) but they didn't add anything in its place.  It may be too late in the game to change that and if so its a missed oppurtunity.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 02:21:28 PM

I agree.  I'm not saying go grimdark, but we're talking about extra-planar people invading and trying to kill us.  You would think these alien invaders would be doing shit we look at and go, 'that's just not fucking right'

grimdark - I am dark mcdarkgrit, tallyho!
evil - Elemental fire lord invades hamlet and you have to fend off waves of pint-sized elementals which turn out to be the burning corpses of children animated by malevolent flame.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 02:37:26 PM

They want to sell to teens.  I'd love a more mature world, but they're not trying to be niche.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

But teens love blood and tits. tongue

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:44 PM

RIFT loves being stocked in Wal-Mart.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 05:13:22 PM

Pretty sure I bought age of conan in walmart.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:38 PM

Speaking of a sense of humor...

Evil of them, but funny as hell.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:16 PM

Played LOTRO with my buddies last night and right away I found myself wishing the game looted nearby corpses, as well as auto-advanced to the next quest the quest giver had for me. It's such a small thing but feels so nice/thoughtful from a usability standpoint. +1 RIFT

(That said, we had a blast running two LOTRO's skirmishes and advancing the Book/story.)

Luda
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 02:53:59 PM

Yeah I haven't been able to play LOTRO at all since I've started playing RIFT.  I like the story in LOTRO but the RIFT just seems to be much more engaging and user friendly.  Sure it has its flaws but I'm overall pleased.  AOE AUTOLOOT IS  Love Letters
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 05:11:42 PM

I know it's been said but since I never played in beta this is my first Rift exposure and I absolute LOVE the soul system. Being able to try out all the different souls and tweaking them until I'm happy is awesome. My Nightblade/assassin/riftsalker/bard/ranger/bladedancer makes me happy.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 05:29:53 PM

Is this where I can brag about adding AOE Autoloot to DAOC?

(It was seriously the last thing I did when I was there)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  RIFT  |  Topic: What went right.  
Jump to: