Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629752 times)
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1890 on: December 01, 2011, 06:10:17 PM

I don't know how good the German version can be, but honestly think the original-English version deserves to be had just for Lisette and this song (and The Dragonborn Comes too).  Heart
I wonder what those sound like in German.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:12:00 PM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1891 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:38 PM

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1892 on: December 01, 2011, 07:04:35 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1893 on: December 01, 2011, 07:13:01 PM

I love that version of the Dragonborn Comes, she sounds a lot like a friend of mine who sings Ren music.

Hate the pauses between verses on all the bards, though.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1894 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:03 PM

The item generation in this game makes for some awesome comedy. I'd like to see one with cabbages.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1895 on: December 01, 2011, 07:35:12 PM

I was so disappointed in the dragon armor.  Don't know about anyone else but to me the armor was a big letdown.  Overall piss poor implimentation there and that surprisingly was my only complaint about the game so far heh.  Anyway that being said I am on my second playtrhough and Skyrim still rocks, its a great game, and I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:38:06 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1896 on: December 01, 2011, 10:01:15 PM

I see no problem with Goat Cheese Coming Down the Mountain.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1897 on: December 02, 2011, 07:06:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCjK3BD6u4

For those who haven't updated and want to see backwards dragons.

Dear Bethesdda- Please add a Dragon Shout that makes Dragons fly backwards.

Ka-Riss-kros!

That'd also make them jump, jump.

So much giggling.

I think if the dragon farted fire, they could leave this in and I would be fine with it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1898 on: December 02, 2011, 07:14:32 AM

I turned autoupdates off and then clicked to play.  It started updating.  The option apparently only means it won't update in the background, if you try to play you will still be forced to update.

So I tried to go into offline mode but now it thinks it has an update and it won't let me play until if finishes.  Clownshoes.

Same here.  I fucking hate Steam so goddamn much.  No, I don't want your fucking social networking bullshit in my game, I just want to play the game I bought and actually control my own patching. 

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1899 on: December 02, 2011, 08:40:30 AM

My system's fine with the new patch, as is my gf's system. One's nvidia, one's ati. Both are core i procs. Not sure what's gumming it up for folks.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1900 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:33 AM

My savegame corruption was due to a mod, tracked it down to Val's Crafting Meltdown. Shame the savegames are toast, but oh well, at least not Bethesda's fault.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1901 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15:18 AM

That cheese mountain thing looks like it would be good for benchmarking systems. Cheesemark.

I played for a while yesterday without any issues other than my horse launching into low orbit at one point. Almost 70 hours in an still seeing new places (Markarth) and in the middle of the main and civil war plots. Kinda bummed about the elder scrolls ban on killing certain people, it makes for very odd situations. I kill (apparently all) the markarth guards, but three characters wouldn't die (jarl, housecarl, someone else). Once that fight was "over", those three just followed me around beating on me. I guess I could cheat around it, but it was the most immersion-breaking and disappointing thing thus far.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:19:05 AM by Sky »
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1902 on: December 02, 2011, 09:30:49 AM

I haven't seen any problems from the forced on me patch either.  Even went to a dragon perch that had a respawn, he was flying forwards.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1903 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:26 AM

That cheese mountain thing looks like it would be good for benchmarking systems. Cheesemark.

I played for a while yesterday without any issues other than my horse launching into low orbit at one point. Almost 70 hours in an still seeing new places (Markarth) and in the middle of the main and civil war plots. Kinda bummed about the elder scrolls ban on killing certain people, it makes for very odd situations. I kill (apparently all) the markarth guards, but three characters wouldn't die (jarl, housecarl, someone else). Once that fight was "over", those three just followed me around beating on me. I guess I could cheat around it, but it was the most immersion-breaking and disappointing thing thus far.

The alternative is probably 'you can't ever finish the game because you broke the quests'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1904 on: December 02, 2011, 11:06:45 AM

Yeah, I get why they've always done that. Would just be nice if they put them in a KO state for an hour or something, so I could wander around without three immortals chopping my back as I explore the castle.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1905 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:45 AM

Well the dude doing the German voice can't sing as well as the woman in the original but the two versions are very close. Well as close as you can get with two different languages.
They even managed to keep the meter and making it rhyme.

"Ein Prost auf die Jugend und unsere Zeit"
"We drink to our youth, to days come and gone"

"Denn Kämpfe sind bald schon Vergangenheit"
"For the Age of Aggression is just about done"

I don't want to deconstruct every sentence but the translation is close enough to the original while taking some liberties. Age of Aggression is translated into the more general term Kämpfe (Fights) instead to keep it in the meter and to not make the verse longer than the original.

It manages to retain the general meaning of the song though, the feel of it and even the meter and the rhyming without being to liberally or literally translated. This is A for effort and execution.

From what I've played so far the rest of the game is translated with the same kind of effort and attention to detail. It is truly the best localized game I've ever played. I wouldn't have expected this after the trainwreck that was the German translation of Oblivion. (They managed to translate Heal with Fireball for example)

If every game was translated that well I'd gladly buy the German versions instead of importing the original versions from the UK.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1906 on: December 02, 2011, 11:22:25 AM

I'd imagine the game is pretty badass in deutsch, given the setting.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1907 on: December 02, 2011, 11:30:15 AM

I'd imagine the game is pretty badass in deutsch, given the setting.

You already have the Ahnold guy voicing a dozen NPCs. Isn't that enough? "I am a weapon in human form..."
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1908 on: December 02, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

Skyrim scored a 40/40 in Famitsu; which is a big deal I guess because it's the first western developed game to ever do so.

I'd like to see a translation of the review myself.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1909 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:49 PM

Note to self: next time I run Fraps while running Skyrim, remember to not have the video record key set to the same key as quick-load.

300 GB and twenty hours of accidental Skyrim footage and not a single bit is usable outside of a ten minute stretch, which I would need to edit for alt-tab pauses and console fuckery using my nonexistent video editing skills and software.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:39:21 PM by koro »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1910 on: December 02, 2011, 03:13:21 PM

I really want this.

Darnified UI; this is a mockup. The guy did a pretty good UI for Oblivion and has plans on making this when the editor comes out.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1911 on: December 02, 2011, 03:22:11 PM

At first blush it looks a bit too cluttered and messy, but after adjusting to the elements of it I really dig it.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1912 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:38 AM

I really want this.

Darnified UI; this is a mockup. The guy did a pretty good UI for Oblivion and has plans on making this when the editor comes out.

I looked into doing some UI modding but it's going to be a big pain in the ass for modders to get to that point.   Essentially Bethesda used a proprietary third party addon to flash for all the UI stuff.   The game can use normal flash but it seems a bunch of custom flash code will have to be written by the community before it works.   The only good news about that is they will probably be able to do whatever they want with the UI when that's done.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1913 on: December 03, 2011, 09:04:57 AM

What pissed me off is that the VA, despite duplicating themselves over several character NEVER made any attempts at differentiating themselves.

Just look at the amount of VAs they used in Dawn of War 2 and how many roles they played each.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etm3Z8E4F18

Farkas is the biggest offender. There's no difference between him and many other same VA characters he played. :(

Otherwise, I'm starting my mage playthrough.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1914 on: December 03, 2011, 10:40:11 AM

Had to revert to a save game several quests old because I didn't like the way the theif guild stuff was going.  Much more mafia like than robin hood over there.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #1915 on: December 03, 2011, 10:44:25 AM

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1916 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:14 AM

ACK!
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #1917 on: December 03, 2011, 11:57:29 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1918 on: December 03, 2011, 12:58:15 PM

Had to revert to a save game several quests old because I didn't like the way the theif guild stuff was going.  Much more mafia like than robin hood over there.

Head scratch

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1919 on: December 03, 2011, 01:50:29 PM

Once I got over the UI, I had a bit of fun playing this.  Then for some reason I just lost all interest.  I'm sitting at around level 32 right now and if I manage to log in I'll just do a quest then log out. 

There's something that's less enjoyable here than the Fallout games for me. 
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1920 on: December 03, 2011, 03:16:44 PM

I just downloaded this game, patched it up, and launched it this morning.  The silent unblinking Nord staring at and undressing me with his eyes during the otherwise picturesque and pleasant cart ride was a little off-putting, by the time the cart stopped moving I was pretty sure that he was being put away for rape.  Then it occurred to me that something was amiss after another good long minute of sitting in a motionless cart while a rapist stared at me and the other cart burned (wooden) tread.  It seemed a little too surrealist, even for the makers of Morrowind.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1921 on: December 03, 2011, 03:54:58 PM

It's not news, sadly.  Bethesda doesn't have what it takes to either make a decent PS3 game or simply throw in the towel on the PS3. 

PS3 Oblivion GOTY had showstopping bugs in regards to vampirism that shut down game files, the only way to fix it was to obtain a non-GOTY copy, uninstall the GOTY and reinstall the non. 

PS3 Fallout 3 GOTY has a DLC that creates the exact same issue as what Skyrim is experiencing.  Once a save file gets to ~10mb, it starts CTDs and lags out. 

They've never bothered to fix either, maybe because they simply can't.  Either way, Bethesda is shady as hell for launching knowing these bugs exist on PS3.  I wish someone would call them out in a class action on the PS3 versions, get them to actually fix stuff.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1922 on: December 03, 2011, 07:04:59 PM

Figured  Jeff Kelly and Falconeer might enjoy this, even if no one else does.

REALLY GOOD Remake of "Dragonborne Comes" found via another forum + youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g&feature=player_embedded#!

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1923 on: December 03, 2011, 07:08:38 PM

The silent unblinking Nord staring at and undressing me with his eyes during the otherwise picturesque and pleasant cart ride was a little off-putting, by the time the cart stopped moving I was pretty sure that he was being put away for rape. 
Apparently the staring was mutual, and your sexual thoughts betray you.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1924 on: December 03, 2011, 07:21:56 PM

Avoiding this thread mostly due to fear of spoilers, but this is share-worthy:

QD Inventory mod
Less painful inventory, which actually makes use of the screen estate. Adds a new column called "Value per Weight", great when deciding what to keep/drop when encumbered. Also allows sorting by weight, price, etc etc.

Picture

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: