Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 626657 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1295 on: November 18, 2011, 03:31:44 AM

Why can't the Skyforge dagger be improved? The Skyforge Steel War Axes I got could be improved without a problem.
Did you put enchantment on it, by chance? Possibly that can make the item count as 'magical' which would require separate smithing perk to allow improvements.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1296 on: November 18, 2011, 03:33:04 AM

Can you not remap the Tab button to the Escape button?  I'm going to try that tonight, because the Tab thing is annoying me.  I won't cast judgement on the UI yet, however, as I've only played like 30 minutes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1297 on: November 18, 2011, 03:33:24 AM

Meh, I've learned to adapt to the UI while I wait for a mod to come out.  Tab, ESC, P, I, M keys, A & D move the menu selection, etc.

Currently loving=The entire Dragon shout system
Currently unloving=All the crap I need to collect and keep track of.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1298 on: November 18, 2011, 03:46:51 AM

Tab rather than Esc is probably more convenient since you don't have to move your hand from WASD to reach it, and it's used pretty often.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1299 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:00 AM

Also as I've incessantly whine in this thread, remapping does not work all that well since some keys just don't work for functions they're meant to when remapped and it also doesn't universally remap. So for instance D is left strafe, move left on the map screen and move lock in the lock picking game. Other functions just use the left strafe key, so they'll use whatever D is remapped to but the latter two will still be D. The result is remapping means you have to keep shifting the keyboard set up you use and some keys can't be remapped to (weapon sheathing can't be remapped to T for instance, because then you can't drop things from the inventory screen. Likewise use can't be made R because then you can't drop things into containers or give them to companions). Which is kind of a pain.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1300 on: November 18, 2011, 04:04:57 AM

Tab rather than Esc is probably more convenient since you don't have to move your hand from WASD to reach it, and it's used pretty often.

All things being equal, that is a fair statement...but the problem is that we are all conditioned to remove our fingers from WASD, hit the Esc button, and move back to WASD in the blink of an eye.  So if I can re-map it, I will.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1301 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:43 AM

The shitty remapping is probably my biggest complaint too, although I've not had anything fail to work entirely because of it. I have all the (rebound or stuck default) key commands memorized now for my setup, so it's not so bad anymore, but the first day or so is rough if you don't play with default controls.

Found my first useful daedric artifact:

I also met the leader of the Greybeards...

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1302 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:41 AM

Does the PC have the "Favorites" menu? I think it's a great addition (that is, as far as RPGs and consoles go).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1303 on: November 18, 2011, 05:53:09 AM

It's pretty god-awful. I cannot think of a worse RPG interface off the top of my head, not in recent years. Maybe Risen was that bad, I've blocked that game out.
Boo, Risen was a fun game. And it fixed the wonky Gothic UI for the most part. Which is what Skyrim reminds me of, UI-wise....Gothic 1.

As far as "Imperial diversity":

Falc, you love BB. You can't bitch about UI  awesome, for real The UI is odd, but it's still one of the greatest rpgs ever made and everyone should be playing it.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1304 on: November 18, 2011, 06:00:28 AM

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1305 on: November 18, 2011, 06:06:54 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1306 on: November 18, 2011, 06:18:07 AM

I've only met a handful of prejudiced Nords, not sure if any were actually Stormcloaks.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1307 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:12 AM

Meh, I've learned to adapt to the UI while I wait for a mod to come out.  Tab, ESC, P, I, M keys, A & D move the menu selection, etc.

Currently loving=The entire Dragon shout system
Currently unloving=All the crap I need to collect and keep track of.

See I love keeping track of all the crap because it makes it feel like a bigger world to me. While games like DA2 and ME2 go out of their way to remove more stuff from my inventory TES says "fuck you you can pick up anything in the world you want to!"

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1308 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:47 AM

Question. If I fight a dragon is it totally random or does it mean there is possibly a nest nearby with one of the shouts in it? I fought a dragon that was circling a small mountain that was to the east of Markath or whatever that far Western city with the forsworn is.

Look at the compass for a Dragon symbol. If it was a Dragon from a lair (where the shouts are) odds are you will be in range to see the symbol on your compass.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1309 on: November 18, 2011, 06:40:39 AM

As for the factions:
Several weapons/armors seem to be off the upgrade list, Skyforge Dagger is one of them. There's a few others I came across, as upgrading then enchanting items seems to be the best way to level smithing/enchantment and make money. Daedric Artifacts
Overall, I'm enjoying it despite the UI and crashes to desktop, but some mods would really help. So would a real manual, and more sensible skill trees.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1310 on: November 18, 2011, 06:44:44 AM

I'm annoyed. I just had my very first CTD in Skyrim and it happened right after I'd spent 15 minutes transmuting a big stack of iron ore into gold.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1311 on: November 18, 2011, 06:53:59 AM

Does the PC have the "Favorites" menu? I think it's a great addition (that is, as far as RPGs and consoles go).

Yeah, you open the Favorites menu with Q. I've heard that the console versions also have some kind of dedicated weapon set thing on top of the favorites menu, which the PC version lacks.

And here, this is amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7trmEmI5Js
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1312 on: November 18, 2011, 06:58:25 AM

Yes, that's also where we can hotkey spells to 1-8 to.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1313 on: November 18, 2011, 07:12:28 AM

Yeah, you open the Favorites menu with Q. I've heard that the console versions also have some kind of dedicated weapon set thing on top of the favorites menu, which the PC version lacks.
Huh? Using the 360 controller and the only thing close to a dedicated weapon set is hotkeying stuff to left, right and down on the D-Pad. Which is 5 less hotkeys than PC players.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1314 on: November 18, 2011, 07:18:33 AM

I neither have nor have played a console version of Skyrim, but what I was told was that you could assign weapons to sets that you can access, but that's just hearsay.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1315 on: November 18, 2011, 07:25:22 AM

You can't.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1316 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:49 AM

I was weak and re-rolled. My thief archer was nearing that godlike state where things get kinda tedious so I decided to try a goody two-shoes elf mages...

wow, the game is different.  Hell, even the tutorial part was different, I got rescued by a different guy, the champions people actually thanks me for killing the giant with them and suggested I joined, etc etc.  Not sure what I'm doing differently besides not stealing everything but it's really a whole new experience.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1317 on: November 18, 2011, 07:45:50 AM

Is anyone else hoarding their dragon shout points? I've got the force shout and the whirlwind speed one, upgraded to 3/2. Otherwise I'm sitting on 14 unused points. Waiting for 'the right one' to come along.

Is ice breath any good? I could upgrade that to 2/2 since I have both words unlocked.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1318 on: November 18, 2011, 07:47:20 AM

In other news, the Atronach standing stone combined with the Atronach perk you can get for 100 Alteration skill makes enemy mages pretty much trivial. I'm sitting here with three Dragon Priests casting on me, and my health is barely being dented.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1319 on: November 18, 2011, 07:47:31 AM

I think whether UI gets in the way of enjoying the rest is pretty much a test of OCD-ness. I can completely agree it's annoying but the rest of the game is dialed in on my gaming preferences like a smart missile, so I'm completely focused on the game itself. Bad UI in that context is like buying a compelling book that has an annoying font.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1320 on: November 18, 2011, 07:49:38 AM

It is annoying only, yes, but I really have no idea why I can no longer sort my inventory by weight or value.  Other than Bethesda's predictable descent into simplicity.

I actually can't fault them too much for trying since my wife still considers Dragon Age to be a better game.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1321 on: November 18, 2011, 08:00:35 AM

Is anyone else hoarding their dragon shout points? I've got the force shout and the whirlwind speed one, upgraded to 3/2. Otherwise I'm sitting on 14 unused points. Waiting for 'the right one' to come along.

Is ice breath any good? I could upgrade that to 2/2 since I have both words unlocked.

If you mean the damage one, I wasn't very impressed by it. I've only unlocked a few, but I find the Ice Form one is the one I use, despite the long cooldown (roots enemy in place for a while). I only use the ice breath when fighting Dragons, and it doesn't seem to do much.

I have points hoarded, but only because I've killed more Dragons than I've found words so far.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: November 18, 2011, 08:11:11 AM

I'm hording level-ups. I'm too afraid to commit to anything. It took me a half hour to click one of the first guardian stones.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #1323 on: November 18, 2011, 08:29:25 AM

I'm hording level-ups. I'm too afraid to commit to anything. It took me a half hour to click one of the first guardian stones.

That's kind of hilarious considering the stones aren't a commitment.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1324 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:58 AM

I can understand it, the game in no way makes that clear before you've clicked on one.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1325 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:21 AM

* arrive to miner town where everyone is crying the mercenaries keep the mine locked up and how it's going to be end of the world as they know it
* pay the mercenaries 200 gold to leave
* get 600 gold reward from the mayor

"do you know why the Nords do as they please with you, peasants? Because you're so goddamn stupid."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1326 on: November 18, 2011, 08:38:41 AM

Well, sure, until the bandits come back next season for another 200g.

You not seen Seven Samurai ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1327 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46:05 AM

Well, sure, until the bandits come back next season for another 200g.

You not seen Seven Samurai ?
Sure, but they'll return just teh same except i got what would otherwise cover three seasons worth of ransom Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1328 on: November 18, 2011, 08:46:41 AM

I bought this yesterday on Steam. I havent started it. Does anyone have any advice as far as character building goes. I usually like to play ether a Stealth/Light Armor Melee/Archer, or a Spellblade type, with Melee, heavy armor (?) and magic.

Can anyone tell me how these two different builds would play out. I'm currently rocked by indecision over which to play. I got both through the tutorial dungeon, so far the Spellblade seems harder to play with the crappy hotkeys and weapon switching.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1329 on: November 18, 2011, 08:47:38 AM

The most frustrating part of the UI is the skills screen. I'm learning to deal with the rest, not happy about it, but I can manage. The IGN skill builder helped since I don't have to try scrolling through their stupid constellations to see what perks I can get. It's just as clumsy with a controller.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it drives me nuts that weapons don't say 1h or 2h on them. I know what most of them are, but I've already made one mistake purchasing the wrong weapon. Armour at least says if it's light or heavy...

I think it says a lot about the game that I'm willing to ignore the brutal UI because it's just that much fun. Though, I just had my first dragon fight and I think I hit it with two arrows before everyone else around me took it out. At least THEY think I'm a hero!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: