Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 07:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 629817 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #665 on: November 09, 2011, 04:28:33 PM

That's my biggest worry.  I'm going PC with it because I know much effort goes into the PC version modding, and Beth isn't great with the PS3.  I have a gut feeling I'll wish I bought the PS3 version after controlling the PC version though.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: November 09, 2011, 04:38:28 PM

That's my biggest worry.  I'm going PC with it because I know much effort goes into the PC version modding, and Beth isn't great with the PS3.  I have a gut feeling I'll wish I bought the PS3 version after controlling the PC version though.

An xbox 360 pad might bridge the gap.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:59 PM

Yep, I'm just too damn broke for it.  ;)
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: November 09, 2011, 04:56:04 PM

Yeah getting the 360 version here. Don't really care about mods so its kind of a no-brainer.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: November 09, 2011, 07:05:49 PM

I always liked the mouse/keyboard controls myself. Can't target for shit with a controller. Too wobbly and over-responsive.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #670 on: November 09, 2011, 07:56:15 PM

Not sure if to buy now. Waiting till price drop and interesting mods to crop up. Xmas is coming, there's bound to be some store specials online. If not, no harm, plate's full for BF3 and GTA 4 DLCs.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #671 on: November 09, 2011, 08:47:00 PM

Within a day of release, people will be shitting on the controls and ui.

That's my prediction.
Bitching has started with those who have managed to get it early. Apparently there's a bug in the 360 version where the textures downgrade to low-res if you install it to the HDD. Pete Hines has denied it, but a lot of people are encountering the issue.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #672 on: November 10, 2011, 12:20:10 AM

Any PC DRM to worry about? Is this a GFWL or Steam?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: November 10, 2011, 12:28:18 AM

Games for Windows Live, no.  Steamworks, yes.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #674 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:21 AM

Bitching has started with those who have managed to get it early. Apparently there's a bug in the 360 version where the textures downgrade to low-res if you install it to the HDD. Pete Hines has denied it, but a lot of people are encountering the issue.
That's not downgrade, that's "working as intended" xbox graphics why so serious?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:48 AM

That's not downgrade, that's "working as intended" xbox graphics why so serious?

Fuck consoles. PC 4 teh win!  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xilren's Twin

Reply #676 on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:55 AM

We're actually getting both the PC and Xbox versions.  PC via Steam for me of course, Xbox is one of my boys who paid for it himself so I can't complain too much.  We were just talking about how nice it was to not to have attend one of these idiotic midnight releases in person at a brick and motar store like just happened on Tues for MW3.  Friend of mind has a teen who went and spend 4 hours in line to pick it up.  No thank you.

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: November 10, 2011, 05:39:18 AM

Review embargo is up.  Extremely high praise all around.

Although one interesting note, I haven't seen a review that was based off of the PS3 version.  Mostly 360 reviews with a few PC ones.  Probably not a huge deal either way, just thought it was odd.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #678 on: November 10, 2011, 07:23:02 AM

Bought the PC version about 20 minutes ago in a store. I'll have to wait around 8 hours for the Steam activation, of course :P  Ohhhhh, I see.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #679 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:25 AM

Steam activation should be in about 13 hours.
schild
Administrator

Reply #680 on: November 10, 2011, 07:35:18 AM

Review embargo is up.  Extremely high praise all around.

Although one interesting note, I haven't seen a review that was based off of the PS3 version.  Mostly 360 reviews with a few PC ones.  Probably not a huge deal either way, just thought it was odd.
Neither here nor there, but it's a lot harder to get a Test PS3 than a modded 360 or Test 360. As in, even the big sites only have one or two and it's a busy season so they're probably being used for exclusives.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: November 10, 2011, 07:37:14 AM

Steam activation should be in about 13 hours.

Nope, because I'm a proud Eurotrash guy, you warmongering yankee.

BTW, one good aspect of this "link" between Steam and normal retail games is that, up to now, if you went in a store in a non-english speaking country (at least in central europe), you were normally  stuck with the (often very horrible) translated version, so the only choice was purchasing the digital product (that was the case with Oblivion, for example, or Football Manager). Now, with Steam, I can choose the language I want. Not really a minor quibble if you ever experienced the localised versions :P and a good thing if you still like to show your nice collection of games on a shelf.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:45:35 AM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: November 10, 2011, 07:39:51 AM

Based on my past experience with owning the PS3, when a PS3 game isn't reviewed at the same time as other versions, then there's usually something wrong with it.  It raises a big red flag to me when they didn't give them a copy up front.

Best game review I've read from IGN in a long time:  http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212080p1.html

Where is the Skyrim PS3 Review?
We're still waiting on a copy.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:22 AM

Pic I spotted on another forum. Interesting setup :P

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: November 10, 2011, 07:59:31 AM

Bezels kill.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #685 on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:03 AM

Based on my past experience with owning the PS3, when a PS3 game isn't reviewed at the same time as other versions, then there's usually something wrong with it.  It raises a big red flag to me when they didn't give them a copy up front.

Best game review I've read from IGN in a long time:  http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212080p1.html

Where is the Skyrim PS3 Review?
We're still waiting on a copy.
Did they give RAGE a bad review?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:44 AM

Within a day of release, people will be shitting on the controls and ui.

That's my prediction.

God I hope not, apart from not being able to play the game you pay for nothing else gets my hackles up as a gamer more than terrible controls/camera views

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #687 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:53 AM

The reason I'm saying that is because:

A - One of the main knocks on the Elder Scrolls series is the UI. I doubt they fix it in today's terms of trying to program for consoles.
B - Until proven otherwise, when you try to design for controllers, I'm going to assume your controls are shit.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:51 AM

The reason I'm saying that is because:

A - One of the main knocks on the Elder Scrolls series is the UI. I doubt they fix it in today's terms of trying to program for consoles.
B - Until proven otherwise, when you try to design for controllers, I'm going to assume your controls are shit.

I thought deus ex and fallout:nv(different companies I know) had very solid controls. Maybe I'm misremembering but those are two instances of good pc versions to me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: November 10, 2011, 09:49:04 AM

WayAbvPar

Reply #690 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:47 AM

Dear Client

As you probably have heard already the Russian Version of Skyrim is Region
blocked and can only be played in Russia.

Given this situation we will refund everyone who ordered Sykrim from us 100%
of his money, please understand that this will take a little time since we
are talking about many orders, we hope to be finished with everything within
24 maximum 48 hours from now.

We are working on getting a EU Version and will obviously let everyone know
as soon as we have details about it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope to still have you back as
a customer in the future.

Regards,

So there ya go. Steam it is. It was worth a shot for $25.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #691 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:59 AM

I'm shocked.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #692 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:58 PM

I thought deus ex and fallout:nv(different companies I know) had very solid controls. Maybe I'm misremembering but those are two instances of good pc versions to me.
Dunno about F:NV, but DX3 was solid enough for the most part, even though it did have the snap to structures thing which meant there were often tiny areas where you couldn't aim.

Skyrim's inventory or encyclopedia (or whatever it was, whenever they've taken f.ex a shield and zoomed in on it) looks like it might also be a bit too console-y for my tastes, but it won't be unusable, just slightly annoying.

Of course, Lucas' link doesn't make the next 6 hours any better, though, especially since I'll have to wait till after work tomorrow anyways to actually fire the game up in the first place.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #693 on: November 10, 2011, 12:34:23 PM

The only thing about FO3 and New Vegas that felt particularly console-y interface-wise was the large-ish menus/text stuff, for which mods were quickly available. This should pretty much be an evolution of that same interface so it shouldn't be too bad.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: November 10, 2011, 12:52:56 PM

This game is getting insanely good reviews. I'm officially sucked into the Steam preload even though I had every intention of waiting. Oh well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:16 PM

This whole thing is annoying to me.

I had really, really decided not to after Oblivion.  Really.

I'm expecting, within a week, some solid reviews from you chaps, warts and all, with specific reference to comparison to the shitbox that was Oblivion.

Help a brother out.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #696 on: November 10, 2011, 01:51:03 PM

Keep thinking it's a shinier version of Oblivion and remember the initial praise for games like Borderlands around here. Wait 1 month. If it sucks, you'll know about it.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: November 10, 2011, 01:57:13 PM

I don't know. Most of the reviews I've read are by people who've put in upwards of 70 hours playing and are still enthralled.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #698 on: November 10, 2011, 01:59:19 PM

Honestly, anyone who's giving reviews out now for a game that's been out for less than 48 hours at best is nuts. Anyone who's played the game through all the way in that time it just not my kind of gamer to start with, so I'm still holding off. Oblivion too gave off great impressions the first few hours. It was only after the 36th hour of trepsing about to the next, identical portal area that the utter goram boredom set in for me.

In other words, I'm really gonna wait a week before plonking down dosh on any RPG game.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #699 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:31 PM

I got oblivion for $5 during that sale, I still haven't played it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  
Jump to: