Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  (Read 333837 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #735 on: August 17, 2009, 03:43:34 AM

Hmm, an expansion means almost anything these days.

I love the blaming of the economy dig.  Grade-A fucking morons.

Yeah, aside from the internet connection and owning a computer, MMOs are about the cheapest time/money form of entertainment out there after the radio and TV.
It's cheaper than TV. Hell, four months out of the year, TV has no shows worth watching, unless you like summer/winter reruns. That and getting all the good stations costs you what multiple MMOG subs would cost.

In other words, yea, blaming the economy is just insanely stupid.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: August 17, 2009, 06:12:18 AM

The gaming industry actually does better in a damaged economy, not worse.  So does the movie industry. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #737 on: August 17, 2009, 06:15:16 AM

I'm not sure the gaming industry really has been around long enough to draw totally firm conclusions on that front. I'd expect MMO subscriptions, for example, to stay strong in a recession, but a $60 console game just feels expensive to a lot of people, even if in reality the $-per-hour entertainment return on it is better than any other available entertainment choices.

In other words for every retarded studio that blames the economy for their shitty MMO tanking, there's probably at least a few retarded consumers who stop buying games instead of canceling their premium cable or going to the movies.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #738 on: August 17, 2009, 09:01:38 AM

You know, it is possible that the economy effected Warhammer in ways other than just the per-month-subscription issue.  For instance, if EA was doing poorly, then they might tank the entire testing staff.  Or EA might get rid of jobs that were deemed necessary by Mythic to fix problems due to the financial issues.

This doesn't excuse the shitty initial product, because they had plenty of money to develop the game, but to think the economy only effects the subscription base doesn't take into account many other factors.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #739 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:11 AM

This doesn't excuse the shitty initial product, because they had plenty of money to develop the game, but to think the economy only effects the subscription base doesn't take into account many other factors.

You played the game.  You know why the sub numbers are terrible.  There are several MMO's that are doing just fine in this economy. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #740 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:28 AM

You played the game.  You know why the sub numbers are terrible.  There are several MMO's that are doing just fine in this economy. 

I get you.  They are still culpable for putting out a shitty product.  No doubt there.  Take AoC, however.  They have had some decent support and have headed in the right direction.  War does not and is not.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: August 17, 2009, 12:06:36 PM

I know what you're saying and wasn't trying to be mean.  I was really just trying to point out that we don't need to make any excuses for the failure of WAR.  It's a poorly implemented system with no hope for success without a complete gutting of the engine and a clean slate (which won't happen). 

I wanted this to be "my game" for a year or so.  I really REALLY did.  Even my 5 years of DAoC fanboism wasn't enough to keep me subscribed for more than a month. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #742 on: August 17, 2009, 12:25:39 PM

At least you weren't stupid enough to buy a 6 month sub right out of the gate like me......... awesome, for real
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #743 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:04 PM

At least you weren't stupid enough to buy a 6 month sub right out of the gate like me......... awesome, for real

I dont think I ever have or ever would sub that many months for a new game, I think 3 months is the most Ive done.  With the condition games have come out the last number of years its a big assumption you will be playing that long. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #744 on: August 17, 2009, 01:59:59 PM

Eh, even though I said that I was mostly kidding around.  It really isn't that huge of a deal for me to have a sub for 6 months for something I'm not playing much.  I usually have 3 or 4 MMOs I'm dinking around with on some level.  I always keep EVE going, even though I don't play a ton.  Same with WoW. 
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #745 on: August 18, 2009, 12:02:02 AM

Online games are about the best value around these days if you do the math.  Pathetic how they will excuse mediocrity with ludicrous claims.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: August 19, 2009, 05:47:18 AM

Well last night was a good time.  After 1 week of "testing", and I use that term loosely they launched patch 1.3.1.  Nothing short of an entire night of friends and guildies crashing over and over.  Then the zones that were locked kept relocking/unlocking.  Then both Order and Destro forts in Empire pairing were both contested.  Top that off with massive lag, worse then usual(15 second delays on everything you do).  Needless to say, was in bed by 9:30.   Aion, save me
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #747 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:52 AM

LOLQA

"Me am play gods"
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: August 19, 2009, 08:43:51 AM

Yes that patch yesterday was a disaster.  Nothing but crashing over and over again, and more discussion about cool games coming out in the Fall.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16:34 AM

Mythic never fails to deliver.   awesome, for real
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:09 AM

Someone should point out to people that Oblivion is a low proces these days and runs better than War. Watch the servers empty right now  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:56 PM

constant crashes, casting lag returns, skills are bugged, overall lag.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:30 PM

constant crashes, casting lag returns, skills are bugged, overall lag.

In other words, business as usual. 

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #753 on: August 20, 2009, 04:36:54 AM

But, but, but 5 star drive!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #754 on: August 20, 2009, 07:39:53 PM

It's five star drive straight into the brick wall of reality.

nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: August 21, 2009, 12:19:22 AM

They certainly improved the Altdor siege in this patch. Now it is basically capture the flag (3 flags) and was pretty fun last night. Of course, it is buggy as hell as usual. We had something like 5 instances running on our server and we completed the PQ in each of them from two to four times. We had something like 58 VP after that when the clock for stage 1 ran out (you need 65 VP to lock and advance to stage 2). So I don't understand how the hell you can actually get to stage 2 if winning every time is not enough.

Also the usual getting stuck into geometry that I love so much. The ending was good stuff as well, as when the timer ran out, you weren't kicked out of the instance. Instead, everytime you pressed respawn, you just got a 5 second timer and you were ressed at the exact spot where you died. This resulted in something like an episode of escape from Altdorf, trying to get away from the order camping our corpses.

Well, turns out, you can't exit the instance anyway (the incoming ramp is blocked by some rubble that prevents you going over it from the other direction). So, we decide to pop our HS/book and we find ourselves outside the instance, between the closed, unattackle door and the instance entrance. Of course, we can't get inside the instance anymore, so we're really screwed now. Logging out didn't help or neither did /stuck. So now my toon is stuck behind the door to Altdorf...
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: August 21, 2009, 02:17:44 AM

That sounds tragically retarded.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #757 on: August 21, 2009, 09:33:18 AM

It is odd to me that some of you are still playing this to even know what the new patch is like.  I'd rather mine rocks in EvE and run WSG than this buggy POS.

BTW, they put a timer on WSG!  Blizzard out Mythic'd Mythic yet again.
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:39 AM

Well, there really isn't any alternative at the moment. EVE is too serious to be played casually and everything else requires PVE. Maybe when that WoW patch hits that adds PVP exp things will change, but it still has freaking 80 levels of cathing up to do. It's much faster to reach max level in WAR.

And, in my defense, I'm on my first subscribed month. I haven't given them that much money  why so serious?
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:40 AM

Im paid up until mid September so its a waiting game until Sept 22 for me.  TBH I still have fun, I wouldnt play if I didnt but thats mostly because of my guildies who are all coming to Aion with me :)
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: August 21, 2009, 10:40:47 AM

"We would like to apologize for ongoing server stability issues that have affected some of our servers since the v1.3.1 update, particularly in the last 24 hours.  While we have fixed several other issues regarding server and client stability, we are aware that there is still a issue affecting many of our players. We would like to reassure our customers that Mythic has tasked all available resources to finding and fixing this problem as quickly as possible.  There will be a status report on our efforts as an update to this post no later than 6:00 PM EDT today regarding these fixes.  We thank our community for their feedback and input on our forums as this helps us identify and correct the problem.  We also wish to thank everyone for their patience and continued support. "

Only took them 3 days to admit there was a problem and 3 days later they still ain't fixed it yet.  Might not play tonight and go sex up the wife instead
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #761 on: August 21, 2009, 12:31:14 PM

Only took them 3 days to admit there was a problem and 3 days later they still ain't fixed it yet.  Might not play tonight and go sex up the wife instead

It's good to see your priorities are in order, sir.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #762 on: August 21, 2009, 12:51:03 PM

Maybe when that WoW patch hits that adds PVP exp things will change, but it still has freaking 80 levels of cathing up to do.
They've added it.  We have someone running around in the battlefield all the time because of it now.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #763 on: August 21, 2009, 01:45:40 PM

Maybe when that WoW patch hits that adds PVP exp things will change, but it still has freaking 80 levels of cathing up to do.
They've added it.  We have someone running around in the battlefield all the time because of it now.

Yeah, but it's lame (15 min for about 3% XP at level 30?  No XP for killing players?  No balancing PvP to take into account the fact that level 39 characters are a wee bit stronger than level 31 characters?  Dropping you back into the world PvP flagged?).  It's why I unsubbed to WoW and resubbed to WAR.  Game may be a bit buggy in the endgame (I dunno, I only have one guy above level 30) but the progression is more fun than WoWs is to me.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #764 on: August 21, 2009, 01:58:32 PM

It's good to see your priorities are in order, sir.
Ya, his wife probably prefers he plays WAR.

"Me am play gods"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #765 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:26 PM

Yeah, but it's lame (15 min for about 3% XP at level 30?  No XP for killing players?  No balancing PvP to take into account the fact that level 39 characters are a wee bit stronger than level 31 characters?  Dropping you back into the world PvP flagged?).  It's why I unsubbed to WoW and resubbed to WAR.  Game may be a bit buggy in the endgame (I dunno, I only have one guy above level 30) but the progression is more fun than WoWs is to me.

The xp rates are indeed a bit screwed. Running AV and the new BG gives a truckload of xp, though.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #766 on: August 21, 2009, 04:04:24 PM

Yeah, it seems the XP for PVP in WOW is pretty decent.  Too bad I'm so burned out on those BGs.  I have been enjoying them again in short doses though.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #767 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:12 PM

More changes incoming...

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #768 on: September 07, 2009, 10:07:24 PM

Knockdown, Stun and Stagger

christ this game needs a fucking NGE
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #769 on: September 08, 2009, 12:14:27 AM

There's going to be a stagger bar right?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Warhammer ends quarter with 300,000 paying subscibers  
Jump to: