Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:31:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102037 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9730 on: August 29, 2011, 01:22:12 PM

So Open Beta this weekend!?!?

Just to break up the tennis match...

?!?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #9731 on: August 29, 2011, 02:11:25 PM

You know, they could be clicking accept because once you do one MMO quest...well.... Whats to read?

I have to say, I think that you just won our debate.  I can't argue with you at all on that one.

Now we are back to including cinematic and VO presentations.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I know the Book quests in LOTRO were my fave, I stopped reading the boar quests.

Same, and I am an inveterate quest reader.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9732 on: August 29, 2011, 02:34:58 PM

I'm just hoping the choices don't boil down to:

Quest Target: So, we meet at last. The famed Jedi, Soandso. Why have you dared to come here?

1 - I came here to gut you and rape your livestock.
2 - Not sure, this guy down the road told me to.
3 - KITTENS! <3

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9733 on: August 29, 2011, 02:38:15 PM

You know, they could be clicking accept because once you do one MMO quest...well.... Whats to read?

I have to say, I think that you just won our debate.  I can't argue with you at all on that one.

Now we are back to including cinematic and VO presentations.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I know the Book quests in LOTRO were my fave, I stopped reading the boar quests.

I'm all for the VO and cinematics for epic story lines hypothetically.  I'm more worried that they will try to trump up every little fed ex and kill 10 boars quest into something vital and important and heroic and so forth.  If you ask me to do something clearly trivial, no amount of VO is going to make it seem like and important story, and in fact when the objectives don't seem to line up with the actual story I'm supposed to be doing (SAVE THE FACILITY FROM DESTRUCTION (Kill 10 troopers)), it would bug me more than if the guy just gave me some generic hey, go kill guys for money quest.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9734 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:27 PM

LOTRO went even one step better with their daily Task boards -- just collect a bunch of formerly-trash loot and get bonus xp (and possibly faction xp) without having to read quest text. It's kind of admitting a grind is a grind.

Ideally, reading quest text would give you important information about making a decision -- a decision about something that mattered.

There is *so* much that could be done with tracking player choices from level 1 - [levelcap] in MMOs and tailoring the "quest" based on previous responses and actions. Yes, tracking all of that means more data to store for each character, and mapping how the choices would interact, but it could at least give the semblance that what you did on a quest mattered, or which choice you made mattered enough that you'd want to read the quest text.

Lastly, these things are a form of entertainment. If you aren't entertained by reading quest text, or hearing a quest VO, then you aren't. I like what the devs of GW2 have said about quests -- you see it happening rather than someone telling you about it. You choose whether to get involved based on what you see/hear. Sounds interesting to me...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9735 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:22 PM

I'm all for the VO and cinematics for epic story lines hypothetically.  I'm more worried that they will try to trump up every little fed ex and kill 10 boars quest into something vital and important and heroic and so forth.  If you ask me to do something clearly trivial, no amount of VO is going to make it seem like and important story, and in fact when the objectives don't seem to line up with the actual story I'm supposed to be doing (SAVE THE FACILITY FROM DESTRUCTION (Kill 10 troopers)), it would bug me more than if the guy just gave me some generic hey, go kill guys for money quest.

Based on the videos I've seen, the "Kill 10 rats" model of play is alive and well, but its been baked into the game as "bonus quests."  Many of the walkthrough videos demonstrate this.  If you're taking the time to randomly kill the monsters, the game gives to the task automatically to kill X more for cash and prizes. 

As far as the rest of the stuff, what's been demonstrated so far is, yeah, every quest interaction has voice and drama, a la FFXI.  Which, honestly, I'm cool with.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9736 on: August 29, 2011, 03:50:42 PM

Quest Target: So, we meet at last. The famed Jedi, Soandso. Why have you dared to come here?

3 - KITTENS! <3
How long have you been working for Bioware?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9737 on: August 29, 2011, 03:59:21 PM

Although mostly everyone skipped past quest text in WoW, I don't think people will do it as much in SWTOR because it's voice acted and it'll actually be fun to listen to whereas NPC #132 giving me some slightly reworded spiel about collecting gizzards is about as fun as watching paint dry.

Plus Metzen and his buddies are terrible fucking writers. It's hard to give a shit about the story when even the guy writing it doesn't seem to give much of a shit beyond "IS IT METAL ENOUGH?!"

God Save the Horn Players
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #9738 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:37 PM

3 - KITTENS! <3
How long have you been working for Bioware?

There won't even be a line to choose from, you just pick an olive branch, a sarcastic mask, or a muscular arm as your dialogue stance.  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #9739 on: August 29, 2011, 06:24:29 PM

Based on the videos I've seen, the "Kill 10 rats" model of play is alive and well, but its been baked into the game as "bonus quests."  Many of the walkthrough videos demonstrate this.  If you're taking the time to randomly kill the monsters, the game gives to the task automatically to kill X more for cash and prizes. 

As far as the rest of the stuff, what's been demonstrated so far is, yeah, every quest interaction has voice and drama, a la FFXI.  Which, honestly, I'm cool with.

Thats not too bad then.  I'm just wary of it devolving into "kill 15 guys to unlock the next bit of story dialog."   If "story" quests seem to have more unique or interesting gameplay, but I can take a break and go bash heads just for the hell of it every so often, its a decent happy medium.  Still doesn't solve the crappy looking gameplay, but at the very least I can wait and  see if they spruce those combat mechanics up a bit.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9740 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:19 PM

There won't even be a line to choose from, you just pick an olive branch, a sarcastic mask, or a muscular arm as your dialogue stance.  awesome, for real

Dialogue obfuscation is a good thing.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9741 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:14 PM

It's how I hold conversations irl.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #9742 on: August 29, 2011, 07:34:46 PM

I'm really looking forward to the NDA dropping.

I'm actually not.  We pretty much already know this is going to be WoW in space.  We've already perceived the combat mechanics and gameplay based on the run-through videos and cake made available.  The only thing the NDA dropping would do is legally unbind testers from ranting about how BW isn't doing Star Wars the "way they would do Star Wars."
Nope. I've been reading the leaks, and I've got shit to say.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9743 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:38 PM

Since when? I hate it in BioWare titles where you choose an option and the character goes off in a completely unexpected direction.

I don't want to be able to predict the conversation, but when I select "No" meaning "I'm not interested" I don't want the character to start a firefight.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9744 on: August 29, 2011, 08:17:05 PM

Eh, that still happens when they spell it out sometimes. I can think of a time or two in DA:O the person I was talking to took what I said the worst way possible. DA2's method worked best for me if I have to have a voiced protagonist, personally. The Shepards go off on weird, unrelated tangents when I pick their dialogue, at least my Hawkes, I know that picking the trollface mask means s/he's going to say something completely inappropriate for the situation.  awesome, for real

Really the problem I have with that personally is, without the lines sitting there for you, there are lines I will never know about because I would never pick it. I am terrible at being a renegade, for example, so most of those lines are wasted. At least the douchebag asshole lines in DA:O, I read, even if I never picked them. If that makes sense.

God Save the Horn Players
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9745 on: August 29, 2011, 08:37:40 PM

Here's my interview with James Ohlen from PAX on my new site.  I thought it came out pretty well.  Some good tidbits in there.

My interview from PAX
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #9746 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:29 PM

Here's my interview with James Ohlen from PAX on my new site.  I thought it came out pretty well.  Some good tidbits in there.

My interview from PAX

Nice interview 'cept for the people walking in front of the camera.  Next time maybe put some flags or cones in the way.
Loved the questions you asked and it looked like Ohlen appreciated them too.  A nice respite from the usual gamereview rhetoric.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9747 on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:18 PM

Since when? I hate it in BioWare titles where you choose an option and the character goes off in a completely unexpected direction.

I don't want to be able to predict the conversation, but when I select "No" meaning "I'm not interested" I don't want the character to start a firefight.

Going off in an unexpected (and unwanted) direction is a risk, but that's worth it to avoid getting a set of lines that are all really off.  That's pretty much the most annoying thing an RPG can do if it hasn't earned it in my opinion.

The most extreme example of this working well is Alpha Protocol.  Its dialogue scenes really should be a massive pain what with their timers and limited, mostly broad-strokes-only, information about what your character's about to say (even compared to ME or DXHR's pheromones) but they're tons of fun.  One's still making informed choices that have an impact on the story but the pacing is worlds better and every dialogue selection doesn't involve reading wildly divergent lines before picking "yours".

I know this has come up before, just tonight in fact in the DXHR thread, but ME2 was such a watershed that games without similar dialogue systems need to be almost pitch-perfect just not to frustrate me.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9748 on: August 30, 2011, 04:27:08 AM

3 - KITTENS! <3

Sith shouldnt even have choices, cmon they are Sith:

1 - I came here to gut you and rape your livestock
2 - I came here to gut you and rape your livestock
3 - I came here to gut you and rape your livestock
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9749 on: August 30, 2011, 06:20:29 AM

Sith choices would be:

2 - I came here to gut you and rape your daughter
3 - I came here to gut you and have a sandwich

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9750 on: August 30, 2011, 06:37:25 AM

I'm disappointed the last option wasn't to rape their sandwich.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9751 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:05 AM

That will be in a post release DLC  why so serious?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9752 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:43 AM

That will be in a post release paid-DLC  why so serious?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9753 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:32 AM

You forgot to add ...and ride off on your women.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9754 on: August 30, 2011, 07:36:36 AM

You forgot to add ...and ride off on your women.

I would happily wear a 3 Amigos outfit and wield a lightsaber in this game
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9755 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:27 AM

My interview from PAX

Nice interview 'cept for the people walking in front of the camera.  Next time maybe put some flags or cones in the way.
Loved the questions you asked and it looked like Ohlen appreciated them too.  A nice respite from the usual gamereview rhetoric.

I had both my partner and david bass (cm) blocking and people still barrelled through.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9756 on: August 30, 2011, 08:54:32 AM

My interview from PAX

Some great information.  Thanks for sharing this!  I like your interview style.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9757 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:51 PM

Wish more interviews could be like that, Drae. We may differ on some philosophies, but you definitely have your act together. Audible, concise, you didn't talk over him, you kept on track and had what seemed to be good notes. Only criticism I'll add is that I kept getting distracted by the fighting game behind you guys and the lighting was the wrong way. :)

On the beta weekends, going to be all new tester invites for each weekend (Bass @ PAX).
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #9758 on: August 30, 2011, 02:37:39 PM

Tell me he's saying there's a Tower of Hanoi in the game  awesome, for real
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9759 on: August 30, 2011, 02:39:09 PM

My interview from PAX

Some great information.  Thanks for sharing this!  I like your interview style.

Aye nice interview.  Wish some of the other fan sites would take some lessons from you. 
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9760 on: August 30, 2011, 02:46:56 PM

My interview from PAX

Was a good interview, I learned some stuff and didn't get bored. Just work on the number of 'ums' a little and they'd be real sharp.  cool

- Viin
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9761 on: August 30, 2011, 03:18:56 PM

Tell me he's saying there's a Tower of Hanoi in the game  awesome, for real
He's saying there's a Tower of Hanoi in the game. awesome, for real

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #9762 on: August 30, 2011, 10:23:58 PM

Plus Metzen and his buddies are terrible fucking writers. It's hard to give a shit about the story when even the guy writing it doesn't seem to give much of a shit beyond "IS IT METAL ENOUGH?!"

To be fair to the guys, at least they have their priorities straight.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9763 on: August 31, 2011, 05:24:04 AM

Invites are apparently already going out for this weekend.  Apparently I am not one of them.  Maybe next weekend.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9764 on: August 31, 2011, 08:48:49 AM

My interview from PAX

You clearly have not been to a game convention like PAX.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: