Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Best Box to Buy First? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Box to Buy First?  (Read 10936 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

on: November 12, 2006, 11:11:16 PM

I've always had a latent interest in Guild Wars, but with WoW and school winding down, I'm really looking at getting it. But, I'm not sure what box to buy (first). After a couple quick scans, the price differences are negligible (like $10-15 between the first and newest boxes) so that didn't narrow my choices down any.

I played one of the free Factions weekends and Assassin was pretty fun. I also like playing healers, preferably not the "omg squishy" type though (in case either Factions or Nightfall provides something along those lines).

So... any help?

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 05:40:32 AM

I'd recommend Nightfall.  It's just a better constructed campaign.  The Ritualist and Assassin are good professions, but so are Dervish and Paragon.

In fact, a Paragon is a very non-squishy support type class, so might be just what you're looking for.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 06:11:19 AM

What Llava said. I'd pick up Prophecies eventually because there are some bread and butter elite skills (Sinister Strike) found only there to my knowledge but the quality of design is noticably lower.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:28 AM

Friend and I were considering getting into Guild Wars for some kicks. How does the expansion work exactly? Can I buy just an expansion and play that way, and if so what content is and isn't available to me?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:35:05 AM

I love the causul PvP of Fort Asphenwood, so I'd say Factions for me.  But for PvE I'd say Nightfall.

"Me am play gods"
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:13 AM

Friend and I were considering getting into Guild Wars for some kicks. How does the expansion work exactly? Can I buy just an expansion and play that way, and if so what content is and isn't available to me?

Each expansion is an independent game. You will have access to the  PvP island chain, and you can purchase or trade with players to acquire weapons from parts of the game you do not own, but you cannot acquire skills or armor from the other portions of the game... nor can you play in their territory.

Factions and Nightfall each give you eight classes to choose from, Prophesies only provides six. Each game has twenty or so unique skills per class available only within its territory.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:40 PM

I'd suggest Nightfall, the Hero's make a huge difference in doing missions.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:43:05 PM

Heroes.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 08:05:58 AM

Thanks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Best Box to Buy First?  
Jump to: