Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Civil War 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civil War  (Read 86772 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: June 12, 2006, 04:03:20 AM

So I haven't really been actively following comics that much until just recently, like the last couple weeks.

I caught up on some of the Crisis stuff, and it was good but I wasn't all that impressed.

I started picking up this Civil War stuff on the recommendation of a friend (who normally hates Marvel, so for him to recommend it meant something) and I have to admit, it's pretty damn good so far.

I've got the Amazing Spider-Man tie in, Civil War 1, and Frontline 1.

I've heard the Wolverine tie in is pretty good, though that was sold out when I went.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

Anyone else following this?  Other recommendations of specific issues I should grab?  I mean, I have the checklist, but I'm not going to get She Hulk unless I hear from 3 different people that it's the comic to end all comics.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:17:27 AM

I think it's an ok story, but as usual it doesn't seem like Marvel has internally worked out all the details amongst it's writers.  Spidey's tie-in has him trying to decide whether or not to reveal his identity to the public, while Frontline makes it clear that they only have to reveal their identities to the government.  New Avengers: Illuminati shows Iron Man in support of the Registration Act from the start, while I hear his tie-in had him against it at first.  The sub-plot with the Hulk in Illuminati (which leads into Planet Hulk) shows that a lot of people die in the Hulk's rampages, while a few weeks prior in She-Hulk it's stated that isn't the case.  The individual writing on some of the books is good, but Marvel's crossovers always seem to collapse from inconsistancy.

I'll probably read the main book, and I already read Thunderbolts and She-Hulk so I guess I'll see how those tie-in's are done.  I'll probably be staying away from everything else though.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 11:35:30 AM

Yeah, Iron Man was against it until the...what  is it, Stamford?, incident.

EDIT

In an unrelated note, I stumbled on this today:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/godsoe/DeadPool-AWESOME.jpg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:43:52 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 05:44:31 PM

That is highly amusing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 08:10:42 PM

Exactly but in Illuminati he's for it and that takes place before the Stamford incident.  I'm not a continuity nut or anything.  I don't mind if a book does a story that contradicts a 20 old back-up story or something.  It pisses me off when they can't even get major plot points in the same crossover consistant though, especially when we're only a couple months into it (taking Illuminati as the start).  Of course I also don't think Marvel has it in them to tell a real political story.  I have a feeling it's going to rapidly degenerate into heroes who have been best friends for years now mindlessly beating on each other while delivering speeches about Freedom vs. Responsibility.

How many Marvel heroes really have much of a need for a secret identity?  Off the top of my head Spider-man and Daredevil are the only ones I think who would have problems exposing their identities, and both of them have had a good chunk of supporting cast members killed off without them revealing their identities to the public.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 08:28:37 PM

Well, since this is a repackaged Mutant Registration Act, I'd imagine just about any mutant proponent would be against it as well.

You're right about the Iron Man thing, I wasn't arguing that- just saying that you're right, they portrayed him as against it until the Stamford thing, but I read about the Illuminati speech and it's pretty clear he was for it before.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 08:35:29 PM

Well, since this is a repackaged Mutant Registration Act, I'd imagine just about any mutant proponent would be against it as well.

I always figured the Mutants were against the MRA because it would make it that much easier for the Government to track them down and kill them should the ever be so inclined.  Sentinels were scarier than S.H.I.E.L.D.'s anti-superhuman task force which can't even take down Captain America and would be inneffective against about 80% of the heroes in the MU.  A non-Hulked Bruce Banner could probably take those guys out.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:00:20 PM

Right... so they have to register with the government, and the government could still use Sentinels, couldn't they?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:22:56 PM

Right... so they have to register with the government, and the government could still use Sentinels, couldn't they?

They had Sentinels piloted by humans parked outside the X-mansion recently for the mutants' own "protection".  Very few of the remaining mutants after all that House of M stuff have secret identities.  The vast majority of mutant who still have powers seem to be affiliated with the X-men, or at the very least are camping out on their lawn, not particularly hiding from the government.  For them to be anti-registration at this point would be mostly a symbolic thing.  Cyclops doesn't have a lot to lose by telling people his name is Scott Summers and he lives at the mansion.  Getting goverment training and being legally approved heroes could only help mutants at this point, or get the public pissed at the government for letting mutants be heroes.  Beyond that I just picture the X-men sitting around the mansion thinking "fuck it, now you know how we felt all those years."
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:46:19 PM

For them to be anti-registration at this point would be mostly a symbolic thing.  Cyclops doesn't have a lot to lose by telling people his name is Scott Summers and he lives at the mansion.

Exactly.  Cyclops and Wolverine might not have a lot to lose.  Some kid who loves his parents, can force people to fall asleep and one time stopped a mugging might have a lot to lose.  Generally, the X-Men try to consider the latter in their positions.  It's easier for them, because they've devoted their entire lives to being mutants.

It's at least probable enough to prop up a comic book plot. 

(The '198' number is a rough estimate, at best, and a symbolic representation at worst.  They've got no reason to believe that there aren't more mutants keeping a low profile, or that there won't be more mutants in the future.  But, imo, the whole Scarlet Witch thing was dumb anyways.  Civil War is a better plot without House of M having happened.)

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 09:57:32 PM

(The '198' number is a rough estimate, at best, and a symbolic representation at worst.  They've got no reason to believe that there aren't more mutants keeping a low profile, or that there won't be more mutants in the future.

Both the books and interviews with people at Marvel have contradicted each other so many times and don't have any idea now what the rough estimate is of how many mutants still exist, if new mutants can still be born, and other such basic information.  Again it's a matter of Marvel not getting things consistant before they moved ahead with the story.  It's a shame when the only good thing to come out of House of M (other than X-Factor I guess which picks up some of the threads from HoM) was a good Quicksilver mini, which they fucked up in the last issue by building up a war between the Inhumans and the U.S.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 10:00:49 PM

They should have Scarlet Witch redo reality again and make the House of M arc not ever happen.  I'm all about Civil War, but it's hard to justify in a world where new superhumans are probably not being born every few minutes.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:48:59 AM

They had Sentinels piloted by humans parked outside the X-mansion recently for the mutants' own "protection". 

Yes, the X-Men have been turned into ineffectual punks since House of M. The entire run of the series has been one long "We are afraid of the government sending Sentinels to our front yard" and "we resist efforts to protect us for our own good." House of M comes along and all of a sudden Cyclops is like "THEY'RE HERE FOR OUR OWN GOOD!"

It's not only like none of the writers have read the last 15-20 years of backstory, it's like they've not even read last week's issue.

EDIT: And the Son of M Quicksilver mini? It was never good. It completely contradicted everything ever presented about the Quicksilver character. But then, so did House of M. The whole terrigen mists thing? Sloppy at best, idiotic at worst.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:51:00 AM by HaemishM »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 10:54:05 PM

I guess I'd best leave some spoiler space for issue 2 here:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Before getting to the big spoilers, a few nitpicks.  First and foremost I can buy the idea of opposition to the Registration Act.  What I don't buy is kicking a guard out of a moving vehicle and in front of several cop cars.  For that matter I don't exactly buy S.H.I.E.L.D. blowing up the top of a skyscraper just to capture Patriot of the New Avengers.  Captain America's choice to go against the act seems like an odd one for those who have read the first few issues of New Avengers, where Bendis decided that Cap has a "Champion License" that allows him to form a legally sanctioned team with members of his choosing pretty much whenever he feels like it.  For all intents and purposes he was practically already operating under the rules of the SRA.

I want to like this story but a lot of the basics just seem to hinge on everyone acting out of character.  If it wasn't set in the MU and used different characters I'd say this is a good premise for a story, as it takes an interesting look at a lot of conventions of the genre.  As it stands though, I don't think the book has done enough to justify the changes in character nor has it set up a situation that was a convincing enough reason for the SRA.  Heroes and villains have been battling it out in the streets in the MU for years. (Thousands upon thousands of stories).  There's been much worse fall-out from a lot of those battles than a blown up school.

Anyway the "big event" of this book is the Spider-man unmasking himself to the public, which really most people saw coming a mile away due to how they were building the story up.  Can't say I care too much at this point as he's already so far away from the basic concept of the character that it doesn't even really matter.

I also picked up Thunderbolts #103 as part of my regular reading, and this issue happened to be a Civil War tie-in.  Fabian just kinda works it into the ongoing plot, as the events more or less fit in with Zemo's current plans (won't get into all that as it's a long explanation).  From what I've read from when Fabian used to post more often on web sites and usenet, his motivation for joining in crossovers tends to be to get whatever boost in readership he can.  That's not to say that he just phones in the scripts, but that his stuff typically isn't essential to the overall story.  Especially since the rest of the writers tend to ignore everything that happens in Thunderbolts thereby marginalising what should be major developments in the MU.  Fab never seems to be mentioned by Quesada in interviews, doesn't seem to part of the planning for the future MU events, and I guess just basically isn't part of the Marvel "in-crowd".  It's a shame because Fab is pretty much the closest thing Marvel has these days to Busiek's "old-school" superhero style.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 01:06:18 AM

I'm liking his Cable & Deadpool book.

My friend and I were talking about Civil War 2 yesterday, and he was sharing with me some of the hype that they'd done about it.  Apparently, the last page was supposed to blow my mind.

My mind remains largely unblown.

Important enough to the story they're telling, sure, and a fairly major thing in that respect, but this is no earth shatterer.  This isn't "Superman Dies!"

But I'll tell you what I thought it could've been and it wasn't:

My friend and I thought they just might maybe kill off Mary Jane.  Nope.  Oh well.  THAT would've been worth hyping.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 08:33:42 AM

Anyway the "big event" of this book is the Spider-man unmasking himself to the public, which really most people saw coming a mile away due to how they were building the story up.  Can't say I care too much at this point as he's already so far away from the basic concept of the character that it doesn't even really matter.

Not only is it in direct opposition to the entire character and his history, it's mindblowingly bad. It's taken the character from what he was, an independent, devil-may-care character who always has problems that feel real, to a "team player" type of character who will just cowtow to prevailing opinion. Spider-Man has BEEN the menace to society/outcast most of his Spidey career, even with a wife. Why change that now? Because he got a taste of the good life working for Stark and living in the mansion? Bleh. It turned a strong character (even though I didn't like him, I admired his inner strength) to a complete puss, all because his book sells well. Of course, it doesn't compare to the neutering of Wolverine's character that has been done, but I disliked that character even more so who cares?

I also picked up Thunderbolts #103 as part of my regular reading, and this issue happened to be a Civil War tie-in.  Fabian just kinda works it into the ongoing plot, as the events more or less fit in with Zemo's current plans (won't get into all that as it's a long explanation).  From what I've read from when Fabian used to post more often on web sites and usenet, his motivation for joining in crossovers tends to be to get whatever boost in readership he can.  That's not to say that he just phones in the scripts, but that his stuff typically isn't essential to the overall story.  Especially since the rest of the writers tend to ignore everything that happens in Thunderbolts thereby marginalising what should be major developments in the MU.  Fab never seems to be mentioned by Quesada in interviews, doesn't seem to part of the planning for the future MU events, and I guess just basically isn't part of the Marvel "in-crowd".  It's a shame because Fab is pretty much the closest thing Marvel has these days to Busiek's "old-school" superhero style.

I haven't read Thunderbolts lately, but I never thought of Fab as that good a writer.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 09:42:40 AM

I haven't read Thunderbolts lately, but I never thought of Fab as that good a writer.

He's not particularly flashy or anything, but aside from his 90's X-men stuff that the editors had too much of a hand in, and aside from anytime he has to script a Liefeld plot, his writing is pretty solid.  His biggest drawback is trying to cram too many characters and sub-plots into a book.  Anyone just picking up an issue of Thunderbolts is going to be pretty much lost, which is why I don't go around recommending the book to anyone on here.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:15 PM

Cable and Deadpool's been pretty solid.  I enjoy Fabian's humor style much more than the "I'm so clever" Bendis humor.

(Bendis Secret To Funny: Make characters say, "Dude." a lot.
Example-
Iron Man: "Hurry, the culprit is escaping!"
Capt. America: "Dude.  Culprit?"
SUCCESS!)

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 08:24:58 AM

I've read this now.  It's shit.

The Spiderman angle in particular is really shit.

I don't understand why they're doing this.  At all.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:28:25 AM

To get the mainstream newspapers writing about comics again, silly. I mean, DC has a muffdiving Batwoman in the news, WHAT CAN WE DO TO TOP THAT?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 09:51:13 PM

They're doing it because:

a)  Crossovers bring in money and they have to compete with DC.  Even with Civil War #1 selling an estimated 200k+ issues, DC still took the lead for the month of May in both $ share and unit share.

b)  It's comics and anything that happens in this story that they don't like can just get undone later.  Stupid shock value shit with iconic characters like this is pointless because we all know that regardless of how long it might take eventually things will return to the status quo.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 11:31:50 AM

After having read #2, I can safely say this series sucks it. Hard.

Why is Daredevil running around in #2? And if this IS Murdock, thanks for spoiling who knows how many months of comics in the future. If it isn't Murdock, is this supposed to be the Daredevil that's running around in Hell's Kitchen while Murdock stews in jail? And if so, why would Captain America trust him?

It feels much too much like an Age of Apocalypse story, mixed with the Matrix.

Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 01:51:19 PM

According to Bendis on his board it's not Daredevil and as for why Captain America trusts him, he obviously knows who it is. Speculation is that it's Hawkeye ( maybe Bendis wants to kill him again )
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 10:24:05 PM

Le sigh.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 02:31:08 PM

According to Bendis on his board it's not Daredevil and as for why Captain America trusts him, he obviously knows who it is. Speculation is that it's Hawkeye ( maybe Bendis wants to kill him again )

Ed Brubaker reveled in an interview that the other Daredevil, the one that's not in jail is the one in Civil War and will play a major part in Civil War. If it's Hawkeye, that will really be a sack of suck.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 07:07:52 PM

Let's hope it's Donald Blake instead then :p
Llava
Contributor

Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 02:00:50 AM

Exactly but in Illuminati he's for it and that takes place before the Stamford incident.  I'm not a continuity nut or anything.  I don't mind if a book does a story that contradicts a 20 old back-up story or something.  It pisses me off when they can't even get major plot points in the same crossover consistant though, especially when we're only a couple months into it (taking Illuminati as the start).

I've given this some more thought, and after talking it over with a friend, we're thinking this is intentional.

Stark is playing everyone to push this.  He put up a show of being against it to get Parker on his side.  Note that he paid off the Russian guy in that Spider-Man issue.  He's definitely up to shady business.

My friend even suggested that Stark may be the guy in the BMW in the most recent Wolverine, providing aid to Nitro.  Don't think I buy that one, but I really don't think Stark being against the act was a mistake.  I think it was an act.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 08:15:09 AM

I've given this some more thought, and after talking it over with a friend, we're thinking this is intentional.

Stark is playing everyone to push this.  He put up a show of being against it to get Parker on his side.  Note that he paid off the Russian guy in that Spider-Man issue.  He's definitely up to shady business.

My friend even suggested that Stark may be the guy in the BMW in the most recent Wolverine, providing aid to Nitro.  Don't think I buy that one, but I really don't think Stark being against the act was a mistake.  I think it was an act.

Iron Man's series right now is currently showing Nick Fury as still being the head of SHIELD despite the fact that in the rest of the MU he's been in hiding since the end of Secret War.  Marvel's cross-title continuity is complete shit so until their editors start proving otherwise, I'll assume that anything that doesn't quite fit is a fuck up rather than a plot thread.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 08:42:27 AM

Yeah, I noticed that in Iron Man and was like WTF? When does this take place? Is this even the same goddamn universe? There is no excuse, not one good goddamn excuse for something that blatantly stupid to be in place without even so much as an editorial explanation. Are we to assume that the reason Iron Man has been the only Avenger with any ability to do more than stand around quipping in New Avengers is because of his nano-armor abilities which have apparently driven him mad in his own book?

There's loose continuity and then there's just out and out fiefdoms running their own little version of the MU. I can't really think of any Marvel book that I'm reading right now which doesn't in some way infuriate me, and that includes Astonishing X-Men which has descended into I don't know what lately.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #29 on: June 30, 2006, 02:02:31 PM

I can't really think of any Marvel book that I'm reading right now which doesn't in some way infuriate me

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=4154.0

Just sayin'

Llava
Contributor

Reply #30 on: July 01, 2006, 11:58:01 PM

Just asked a friend about the Nick Fury thing, apparently Iron Man is years behind in continuity because of a screwup with the creative team, which is not altogether very uncommon in comics.  <points at Kevin Smith's Daredevil as-yet-to-be-released>

So Iron Man is set before Nick Fury's Secret War and subsequent abdication of his SHIELD command position.

But they really ought to put something in the comic to indicate that much.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 07:44:33 AM

Just asked a friend about the Nick Fury thing, apparently Iron Man is years behind in continuity because of a screwup with the creative team, which is not altogether very uncommon in comics.  <points at Kevin Smith's Daredevil as-yet-to-be-released>

So Iron Man is set before Nick Fury's Secret War and subsequent abdication of his SHIELD command position.

Except that that's not really possible given Sentry showing up on the last page, so this issue has to take place at some point after the Sentry arc in NA.  Brevoort has said that it's pretty much just a fuckup since at the time this story was actually written they didn't know what the status of Nick Fury would be.  For readers needing an in-continuity explanation though, he said that the most people outside SHIELD haven't been made aware that Hill is now in charge and the Nick Fury in Iron Man is an LMD (Life Model Decoy or whatever the heck it stands for).
Llava
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 11:22:45 AM

Hm, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 12:22:13 PM

I can't really think of any Marvel book that I'm reading right now which doesn't in some way infuriate me

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=4154.0

Just sayin'

Ok, yeah that one. But that's not really a Marvel book.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 12:23:26 PM

Except that that's not really possible given Sentry showing up on the last page, so this issue has to take place at some point after the Sentry arc in NA.  Brevoort has said that it's pretty much just a fuckup since at the time this story was actually written they didn't know what the status of Nick Fury would be.  For readers needing an in-continuity explanation though, he said that the most people outside SHIELD haven't been made aware that Hill is now in charge and the Nick Fury in Iron Man is an LMD (Life Model Decoy or whatever the heck it stands for).

Oh dear fucking God. I'm no fan of Jim Shooter, but he'd have fired an editor for that. Then had sex with the fired editor's skull.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Civil War  
Jump to: