Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Upcoming Ellis project for Marvel: Nextwave 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upcoming Ellis project for Marvel: Nextwave  (Read 18323 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: July 30, 2005, 05:20:53 PM

Interview with Warren Ellis here.
Interview with artisit Stuart Immonen here.

I figure since there are some fans of Ellis here from his work on Transmet and Planetary, they might be interested in hearing about Ellis upcoming Marvel comic coming in January, 2006. 

Nextwave is an elite superman task force organized by the government agency known as H.A.T.E. (Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort). Their mission was to stop superhuman terrorists, but when they find out their own organization is the one behind a conspiracy aiding villains in taking out small towns in rural states where heroes never venture, they have to stop it.

The basic premise sounds sorta cheesy (there's more to it in the article), and the characters (Captain Marvel/Photon, Boom Boom, Machine Man, Ellie Bloodstone, and a new character called the Captain) are all b or c-listers.  The art almost looks like it came out of a Hanna-Barbera cartoon from the '70s.  But this is Ellis, so I'm guessing this comic is going to end up a lot different than it sounds.  This seems to be getting a lot of early hype, so I excpect it will see some good numbers when it's released.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 05:25:36 PM

Ellis is doing a comic about a group called hate that looks like a saturday morning cartoon from the 80s. I imagine a smart superheroesy version of Happy Tree Friends. I could be wrong. I'd read that though. Thanks for the information.

Heh.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:58:36 AM

H.A.T.E, lol.  That shit is just bad.  I already came up for the leader of their group.  It was a character I was going to make if I ever played CoV.  JIHADJI!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 08:17:05 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:37:36 AM

H.A.T.E. has the best drugs. Because H.A.T.E. loves me.

And I love H.A.T.E.

Beautiful. It's like Nick Fury shit out a satirical evil twin clone of himself.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 11:21:49 AM

Just got finished reading the first issue. If you liked Transmet's sense of humor at all, get this book. It's fucking hysterical.

Machine Man has been recast without the old purple exoskin as a robot who calls humans "Fleshy ones." The old female Capt. Marvel from the Avengers has been given some badassitude. Boom Boom from New Mutants/X-Force is here as well. The other characters I don't recognize. They fight against FIN FANG FOOM, a giant Chinese dragon who is wearing purple underpants.

It's almost totally nonsensical and just damned funny. Read it.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 04:00:51 PM

Just got finished reading the first issue. If you liked Transmet's sense of humor at all, get this book. It's fucking hysterical.

Machine Man has been recast without the old purple exoskin as a robot who calls humans "Fleshy ones." The old female Capt. Marvel from the Avengers has been given some badassitude. Boom Boom from New Mutants/X-Force is here as well. The other characters I don't recognize. They fight against FIN FANG FOOM, a giant Chinese dragon who is wearing purple underpants.

It's almost totally nonsensical and just damned funny. Read it.

The Captain is a new character.  Ellis says this of him:

“The Captain is every generic Marvel superhero with the prefix Captain ever. There's loads of them. Captain Kerosene. Captain Rectitude. Captain Avalon. Captain Avenger. I'm making none of these up. He was all of them. He changed names every few months. One of his names was so obscene that Captain America beat him up for it.”

Ellie Bloodstone is the daughter of C-list character Ulysses Bloodstone.  She had her own mini a few years back.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 08:30:46 PM

“The Captain is every generic Marvel superhero with the prefix Captain ever. There's loads of them. Captain Kerosene. Captain Rectitude. Captain Avalon. Captain Avenger. I'm making none of these up. He was all of them. He changed names every few months. One of his names was so obscene that Captain America beat him up for it.”

That is hilarious.  Ellis rules.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:00:07 PM

For those who don't know, Ellis will also be recreating Marvel's "New Universe" in an ongoing title called Newuniversal which launches this Summer.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 04:06:42 PM

New Universe was pretty damn awful. I don't think the world really needs Kickers and DP7 again.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 07:02:30 PM

I think there was some cool stuff to come out of NU. It was the first time i read anything by Peter David ("Justice"?), or Fabian Nicienza  (sp) (Psi-Force). Starbrand was pretty cool, until Byrne came on board and screwed with the character in an apparent petty vendetta against Jim Shooter.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:37 AM

New Universe was pretty damn awful. I don't think the world really needs Kickers and DP7 again.

Kickers, probably not. But DP7 was really the best thing the universe had going for it. Had they ever been given artists of a decent caliber, as opposed to the very mediocre art the book got stuck with, it would have probably taken off. Had Starbrand not been written by Shooter (at first) fresh off the suck that was Secret Wars 2, and then Byrne (who has plenty of petty vendettas these days), it would have been better.

But really, Kickers Inc. was just silly.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 11:39:09 AM

How long did DP7 last for? I have the first 8 issues or so.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:40:14 AM

I think into the 20's. Not much more than that. I believe I read it for the 10-12.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 12:59:29 PM

I can't even remember what Kickers was about lol. Was that the one where pro athletes get super powers?

edit:  Heart wiki

kickers were a pro football team that got super powers, apparently.

haha the other ones I forgot were: Spitfire and Marc Hazzard.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 01:09:40 PM by Raguel »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 01:54:20 PM

Spitfire and Marc Hazzard definitely did not need to be there.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 05:44:48 PM

I think Spitfire was the first one canceled.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 01:33:35 PM

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:35:54 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 02:45:16 PM

Yeah, just read Nextwave #2. This shit is great fun, especially when it gets to the parts where all the characters are doing something and their dialogue is their action.

Captain: Kick.

Elly: 'Splode.

Le awesome.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 03:59:30 PM

Father Blood Drench Robo Crush simply has something in his lens.

Leave Father Blood Drench Robo Crush alone now, fleshy.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: March 26, 2006, 12:16:22 AM

Issue 3 was a pretty quick read.  Nothing in this issue that's as funny as anything from the first 2 but this is still a solid read and was probably the best book that came out this last week that I read.  Conan #26, Captain America #16, and Ares #3 were all strong contenders though (X-Factor #5 was a bit dull, taking a break from the main story).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 01:23:31 PM

HE WILL PEEL YOU WITH HIS ROBOT BITS!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 10:02:01 AM

Cops - - The most annoying fleshy ones of all.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 08:31:10 PM

Anyone have any guesses when this might be coming out in trade paperback?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 09:02:19 PM

Amazon is pre-selling the hardcover for $12.99.  Looks like it's scheduled for late August at the moment.  No word on when it's coming out in TPB form but it likely wounldn't be much cheaper than $12.99 anyway
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 09:55:35 PM

RELEASE THE DROP BEARS!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:27 PM

Tabitha! Quickly to me, my X-bait!

Help me lift my GUN! Techno-organic prolapse iminent!

God, this book has such quotable lines.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 10:57:28 PM

Tabitha! Quickly to me, my X-bait!

Help me lift my GUN! Techno-organic prolapse iminent!

God, this book has such quotable lines.

And yet this book is selling in the mid-20k range while New Avengers is selling at around 120k.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 08:22:34 AM

There's no accounting for taste.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 08:23:32 AM

There's no accounting for taste.

Oh, there'll be an accounting...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 11:14:04 AM

I want me some homicide crabs.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 30, 2006, 03:07:02 PM

With a side order of atomic puppies?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 09:31:20 PM

Ellis brought up the fact that after creating New Avengers and reinventing the idea of superhero teams, Brian Bendis was disappointed that no one else had stepped up to the bat and tried to reinvent team comics as well. That sentiment helped fuel the creation of Nextwave. "How can I really horrify Bendis?" said Ellis. "What could I do that would just scare the s--- out of him and make him utterly regret saying that. So I took The Authority and I stripped out all the plots, logic, character and sanity. I just cut everything back until I was left with pure superhero comics."

Link to full article
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 10:35:32 AM

Nextwave is now officially part of standard Marvel continuity.  smiley

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:36 AM

Le awesome. Nextwave is the best thing Marvel has going right now.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Upcoming Ellis project for Marvel: Nextwave  
Jump to: