Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR Warhammer preview PC Gamer April 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR Warhammer preview PC Gamer April  (Read 74929 times)
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

on: February 28, 2006, 03:12:35 AM

Source

Quote from: Chuck Osborn of PCG
<...yadda yadda yadda, talking about the history between Mark and GW guys... Realm versus Realm combat... basic story... >

"You'll also get to choose from two different archetypes: the Warrior and the Adept. Warriors, not suprisingly, rely heavily on brute force. Adepts are better at skilled professions. Each puts you on a unique career path in which you'll be able to make selections that further detail your profession (A Human Warrior, for example, may rise through the ranks of being a soldier, a rifleman, mercenary, knight, and ranger - sometimes mixing and matching facets of each if desired)."

<Going on, emphasizing early-level RvR combat, interresting little bit about NPC guilds that newbies can join until they create their own or join a PC one...>

"Eschewing character levels altogether, Warhammer Online [sic] will be a what-you-see-is-what-you-get world. ...And the mark of your personal progress will be shown physically: Orcs, for example, will grow in size and become more musclebound, while Dwarfs' beards will gradually become longer to indicate their venerable status. ...you'll be able to outfit your character with personal trophies, such as adorning your Orc's spiked armor with Dwarf skulls...

"..."Death" isn't permanent in Warhammer Online[sic, and they really do know it is WAR, he just calls it that 4-ez, as they say], but each death-ish mishap will bring you closer to the brink of insanity. Die too often and the accumulated insanity points will befin to drain away the amount of experience you gain..."

<PvE goes towards RvR, da-te-da...>

"PvP will be broken into four types: Skirmishes, Battlefields, Sceanarios, and Campaigns. Skirmishes are... two or more enemies clashing in unstructured combat. Battlefields... fighting for in-game resources, such as lumber mills and temples. Scenarios are similar to Battlefields, except these large-scale battles will be instanced and evenly matched by the server (adding bots to balance the sides).. and factor the most into which side takes a zone. Campaigns will be the PvP end-games - a final, humiliating invasion of the losing race's capital city.
Once [the capital is taken, yay for wanton slaughter of NPCs]... the server's metagame will spawn in AI reinforcements, drive out the invasion force, and then reset the server.... You get to keep [all your phat lewts]... At launch, there will be approximately 33 zones and 1800 quests...

Some of the above expanded on by this post from Sanya on page 4.

Shh. I'm not really here, yet. You won't see a lot of me until a) beta, b) the boys and girls finish the main design work and have finalized things for me to talk about, c) there is no c, and/or d) all of the above.

Oh. Um, hi. I'm Sanya, I'm Mythic's community weasel, been kicking around MMORPGs for the last seven years. I've been a tool of the dark side, I mean the gaming industry, since 2001. I'm old, cranky, bitter, mean, a big nerd, and I don't like talking about things that players can't get their mitts on within three weeks. This whole pre-pre-pre-beta board talking makes me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, because practically nothing posted this early retains its form through beta. Did I mention old and bitter? Did I?

At the same time, my minion Kunou has been lurking here and occasionally posting for months along with many Warhammer devs, because now is the time to absorb the "feel" of your ideal game. It's a hell of a balancing act, and one that no company has really aced yet. But we're trying. I want you to love the game, to feel invested in the game, and to be part of the process... but to understand that in a year, it's going to be harder to put your ideas into the game even though your feedback will ALWAYS be a driving force behind change.

But enough of my paranoid philosophy. I'm just sticking in my beak to say that the article is real, that it wasn't supposed to be on sale at B&N until the 6th, but we don't really mind, and lucky you for snagging an advance copy.

The "weird goblin" was a troll with the wrong caption under his shiny face. Not even PC Gamer catches everything during the proofing process.

I got this note from the design team. One of the designers who lurks here on a daily basis wrote it, and his boss (the lead designer) signed off on it:

"The four elements of RvR noted in the article are actually designed to be much more integrated than the author of the article lets on – Battlefields and Skirmish play take place in a shared RvR space, and Scenarios are adjacent to those areas as well. Dominance in these aspects of play combines to drive the greater Campaign, which moves the fighting through the world to keep things interesting, and can culminate – if the attacking force is skilled and persistent – in the sacking of an enemy city.

"...we aim to create a coherent RvR experience where players can participate when and how they care to, and where everyone contributes to the greater war. Certainly not every aspect of RvR will be for every player, but whatever aspect is for you will matter, and so you can play the way or ways you want to, whatever they may be, and still be an important part of the war."

That's from the horse's mouth, there. Hope it clarifies the article that you read.

I now return to my regularly scheduled lurking. Soon I will upgrade to skulking.

Characters looking more mature through methods other than loot is nice, no character levels, still sounds fairly close to the WHFRP skill system.  DAoC/WoW battlegrounds but expanded into a campaign with the chance to take an enemy capital.  Bot's to cure population imbalance, 1800 quests.

Insanity points are in, just hope they do something interesting with them instead of just negatively affecting exp.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 03:46:23 AM

I don't know why noone did the maturing thing earlier. It's kind of common sense. I'm really glad to see it here :)

I'm also trying not to get hyped abou the game, so stop posting stuff like that. kthx :P

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:31:01 AM

There's nothing to get hyped about. Positively nothing. Right now, the game is Dawn. Much like about 80% of the market. Hell, some stuff is in beta and I still consider it to be on the Dawn level of bullshit.
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 04:42:29 AM

I don't know why noone did the maturing thing earlier. It's kind of common sense. I'm really glad to see it here :)

I'm also trying not to get hyped abou the game, so stop posting stuff like that. kthx :P

The 'original' canned WHO didnt have levels either, I attended a seminar on it at Games Day UK (probably 3 years back as I havent been the last couple of year) and visual representation of 'con' (and not having any con) was one of the big things they were going on about (probably because its a 'new thing') - sounds like that aspect is being driven by GW rather than Mythic.

The only issue I can see with this is that, until a player has viewed every variation of the same MOB it will be difficult to know what order of power they have, so unless the spawns only appear in a linear ascending order of power (i.e. they get incrementally harder the further away from newbie land you get and don't roam [too much]) players are going to be in for a nasty surprise!

I really hope they do a good job on this, but I didn't get on with DAoC (yet another monster bashing treadmill) and I fear that WAR will just be DAoC with a different skin on it....
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 04:59:12 AM

http://www.warhammeralliance.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6

This one says it's a 3 team RVR game. I know squat about warhammer other than a few Kim Newman novels I read because I liked Anno Dracula, but nowhere in the novels did I get a sense of there being 3 sides. Is 3 sides natural to that setting or are they trying to shoehorn it into the DAOC mold?
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 04:59:33 AM

The only issue I can see with this is that, until a player has viewed every variation of the same MOB it will be difficult to know what order of power they have, so unless the spawns only appear in a linear ascending order of power (i.e. they get incrementally harder the further away from newbie land you get and don't roam [too much]) players are going to be in for a nasty surprise!

Well that shouldn't be something anyone should worry about. It's not that hard to implement some sort of color coding into the UI, like blue - easy; white - normal; red - hard.

Anyways, I'm naive, it doesn't take much to get me hyped. All it takes is a couple of concept arts and several ideas I like and I'm hyped.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 05:10:59 AM

This one says it's a 3 team RVR game. I know squat about warhammer other than a few Kim Newman novels I read because I liked Anno Dracula, but nowhere in the novels did I get a sense of there being 3 sides. Is 3 sides natural to that setting or are they trying to shoehorn it into the DAOC mold?

3 sides is not natural, warhammer was designed for roleplay and mostly for the table top battle game.  Due to the number of races and armies it's normal be able to explain anyway any race fighting any another race, or even themselves.  So yes it's being shoehorned a bit, it's going to be interesting to see if there are different RVR ruleset servers.

On con, I really hope there isn't a con system.  I moved from UO to AC to DAoC, the con system in DAoC confused me I wasn't used to knowing if I was going to win a fight with a mob I hadn't fought before.  It's not like you are liable to forget, if a Chaos Warrior rips you apart in 3 seconds avoid Chaos Warriors for a while.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 05:30:55 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 05:32:09 AM

3 sides is not natural, warhammer was designed for roleplay and mostly for the table top battle game.  Due to the number of races and armies it's normal be able to explain anyway any race fighting any another race, or even themselves.  So yes it's being shoehorned a bit, it's going to be interesting to see if there are different RVR ruleset servers.
While that is true, in the really big campaigns like GW's yearly worldwide summer campaigns there are natural alliances that form given the way the history has been written (e.g. "evil" vs. the "not so evil"). So given the races they are planning to include in the intial release 3 makes sense with the only odd fit being where to put the Dark Elves since they could conceivably ally with either Chaos or the Greenskins depending on their motives and machinations at that time.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 08:23:03 AM

Wake me up if they ever change this into MTGO for the Warhammer (or better yet, Warhammer 40k) world..

Otherwise I'll stick with WoW until I grow bored and quit MMOGs FOREVER (again)..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 08:38:13 AM

First, they aren't strictly following the lore.  They are using what they can and reshaping the rest.

Hmm. Bots. It could work as a method to balance population.  They need to be very smart or directly under player control to work.  At least they are trying.

"Me am play gods"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 08:40:01 AM

Wake me up if they ever change this into MTGO for the Warhammer (or better yet, Warhammer 40k) world..

Otherwise I'll stick with WoW until I grow bored and quit MMOGs FOREVER (again)..

A online card game of 40k might be interesting.  

Are you and schild really saying you aren't going investigate this, providing it makes it to release with even fairly average reviews? Because I don't for 1 second believe you.

There's some design details being released, enough to make it different enough to other games so that it might hold promise, do you guys know something I don't?

Hmm. Bots. It could work as a method to balance population.  They need to be very smart or directly under player control to work.  At least they are trying.

It would make sense to make them partly under player control, the control is a possible pvp reward as well.  I found the mention of Temples interesting as they might try something new with a Religion element.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:47:06 AM by Arthur_Parker »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 08:44:36 AM

You didn't play UO, did you?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 09:12:55 AM

That list of stuff was the most interesting thing I've heard come out of the design of this game since they got the license. I hope most of it actually makes it in the game. We'll see.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14:21 AM

no character levels

tbh, what I actually got from the article was 'levels will be represented to other players by beard length and muscles rather than by numbers'.

Quote from: Schild
There's nothing to get hyped about. Positively nothing.

It's DAoC but redesigned from scratch, so that would still make it an improvement on what is the best^H^H^H^H only worthwhile pvp ever in a mmog. (outside Planetside ofc)

There are a gazillion sides in Warhammer, they picked three, /shrug, works for me.

Only thing that really seemed a little odd is that dark elves shouldn't really be on the same side as the green races, I guess the green realm needs a caster race, so I can live with that.

"You'll also get to choose from two different archetypes: the Warrior and the Adept. Warriors, not surprisingly, rely heavily on brute force. Adepts are better at skilled professions. Each puts you on a unique career path in which you'll be able to make selections that further detail your profession (A Human Warrior, for example, may rise through the ranks of being a soldier, a rifleman, mercenary, knight, and ranger - sometimes mixing and matching facets of each if desired)."

I have no idea what this really means, but I rather hope it doesn't mean what it meant in EQ2, ie. the newbie levels playing exactly the same for every class.

There is no reason it couldn't work out ok if they just implement daoc style spec points with a wide choice of skill lines based on two classes of 'melee guy' and 'caster guy' though.

"..."Death" isn't permanent in Warhammer Online[sic, and they really do know it is WAR, he just calls it that 4-ez, as they say], but each death-ish mishap will bring you closer to the brink of insanity. Die too often and the accumulated insanity points will befin to drain away the amount of experience you gain..."

I interpret this as meaning xp death penalties are based on number of previous deaths rather than current level. meh. I suspect it's just another boost for powerlevelers who don't put the pl'd character at any risk, but I guess we'll see how it goes. At least we know Mythic will never implement stupid death related fucktardery such as corpse recovery.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:19:52 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 10:16:14 AM

Even if they don't have levels the mob names will hover over their heads coloured according to risk.

Red will be bad, blue will be good, same as it ever was and forever will be.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:19:02 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 10:20:54 AM

I just hope they learned something from Trials of Atlantis. And that lesson being that in general, people hate raiding, will only do it if the absolutely have to, and after the first couple months it creates a barrier to entry that people would rather just not even try the game rather than deal with it. More than any other thing in DAoC, ToA has contributed to more people quitting or not coming back than anything else I’ve heard people bitch about.

Also, they really need to make it so people can solo every non-PvP aspect of the game with any class. The genre’s been around long enough for it to have been demonstrated that it’s just easier on late joiners and people who play at off peak to get things done that way. And in a PvP oriented game, getting the biggest numbers involved in the actual PvP is infinitely more important than giving real-world social lepers worthless epeens to wave around. As DaoC pretty much proved, people who want to play a PvP game want to PvP, not fuck around in groups getting scrolls to then get an item that they then have to dick around leveling.

The Insanity thing causes me some concern though… that might be because it reminds me too much of insanity points in the old Cthulhu RPG where insanity pretty much meant your character was unusable.

Oh, and they better make it so that you always have access to all the skills and abilities to all the “classes” you’ve learned. I also hope they use the cool non-combat classes like Rabble-Rouser and Demagogue. Rabble rousing NPC peasants in enemy villages and getting them to switch sides would be <3.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 10:24:45 AM

Only thing that really seemed a little odd is that dark elves shouldn't really be on the same side as the green races, I guess the green realm needs a caster race, so I can live with that.
The greenskins have plenty of magic with support from Gork and Mork and their headbangin' shroom eatin' casters but as somebody else mentioned in another thread, gotta have those elf boobies to balance out the sides.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 10:26:52 AM

I have a feeling it was more about mangina-titty population balancing. It's no secret that people in this genre like T&A, and the greenskins don't have any. One side with no titty at all will make the Horde in WoW seem robustly populated, and that's no good in a PvP game. This way "good guys" have elves and french chicks, Chaos has Slaneesh, and greenskins have elves in fuck-me boots and thongs. Everyone wins.

Honestly, they should really, really, really have gone with 2 sides. 3 sides is impossible to adequately balance.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:34 PM

Well, so far, Mythic has done some of the best PVP in a MMOG, so I am excited to see all this stuff they are talking about. Yeah, its still vapor at this point, but looks at DAOC, still going strong, and actually gaining new subs at the moment from people quitting WOW. I hope they can pull this off, since, if we are going to be getting "another fantasy game" at least the warhammer universe is much darker and violent.

I hope I can play a Chaos Warrior.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 12:03:36 PM

Two sides is boring. Three sides is key. It's one of the great things about Planetside. You might be in an hour-long siege against VS and be about to wipe them off the continent and BAM those NC bastards show up in your backyard and split your front.

I've been all about 3-way battles since one fateful LAN morning-after when I was playing a heavily modded Quake 2 with my buddy the eqholic and a mutual friend. They were having a good duel and I happened to catch them both fighting but they didn't see me. They only heard the ramp-up sound of the BFG about to fire...and both took off running in either direction, both died :)

Three-way combat introduces much more interesting variables.

And there should always be a no-elf-titty faction for adults to enjoy.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 01:01:32 PM

no character levels

tbh, what I actually got from the article was 'levels will be represented to other players by beard length and muscles rather than by numbers'.

I took it to mean no levels with the "Eschewing character levels altogether" comment.  Also if you think about the WHFRP system, which Mark Jacobs has previously said they are going to draw a lot from, it's actually more difficult to combine a typical level based system with a career switching (stat/skill) system.  Why have different levels of ratcatcher when ratcatcher progession is already represented by the skill and stat choices available to career?  Plus levels don't really fit with the IP, they do a little but certainly not to the extent we are used to, 4 levels of magic use in the old edition WHFRP.  Normally a Paladin is forever a Paladin, hopefully in WAR (providing they don't dumb it down too much) a Soldier can become a Demonologist if he really really wants to.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 01:59:03 PM

Are you and schild really saying you aren't going investigate this, providing it makes it to release with even fairly average reviews? Because I don't for 1 second believe you.

Eh, I try to avoid MMOGs for the most part.. I just don't have the time to play them.  I skipped out on WoW until 9 months after release, and only started playing then because a friend twisted my arm.  My hope is that it will be my last mmog ever, I suspect that I have another 3 months in me at most.. then I'm going back to trying to be productive in life rather than being owned by a computer.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 02:47:30 PM

Cev, you should come play EVE. It is Shadowbane in spaceships =)

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 03:17:17 PM

but each death-ish mishap will bring you closer to the brink of insanity. Die too often and the accumulated insanity points will befin to drain away the amount of experience you gain..."
EXP debt? Why the hell they cannot call things with their name when the features are nothing new?

"PvP will be broken into four types: Skirmishes, Battlefields, Sceanarios, and Campaigns. Skirmishes are... two or more enemies clashing in unstructured combat. Battlefields... fighting for in-game resources, such as lumber mills and temples. Scenarios are similar to Battlefields, except these large-scale battles will be instanced and evenly matched by the server (adding bots to balance the sides).. and factor the most into which side takes a zone. Campaigns will be the PvP end-games - a final, humiliating invasion of the losing race's capital city.
Once [the capital is taken, yay for wanton slaughter of NPCs]... the server's metagame will spawn in AI reinforcements, drive out the invasion force, and then reset the server.... You get to keep [all your phat lewts]... At launch, there will be approximately 33 zones and 1800 quests...
Hello, I'm World of Warcraft and I want to give you the shittiest PvP ever.

My god. They are going to copy WoW's PvP. I guess no game designer is left at Mythic.

And the class system seems just ripped off from Imperator.

Nothing to see.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 03:43:26 PM

They really need to copy WoW for pvp ideas after all Mythic are rather new to the battleground/area capture ideas?  The WFRP career system was published 20 odd years ago and I don't recall playing imperator, I'm confused.  Maybe you could expand on the pvp system they should be using, one that actually works as opposed to the sketchy one that's been laid out.

Your point on the currently known details on insanity is spot on though.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 05:08:21 PM

They really need to copy WoW for pvp ideas after all Mythic are rather new to the battleground/area capture ideas?  The WFRP career system was published 20 odd years ago and I don't recall playing imperator, I'm confused.  Maybe you could expand on the pvp system they should be using, one that actually works as opposed to the sketchy one that's been laid out.
Sketchy? We have already all the elements.

There are shared RvR zones with resource nodes and nearby portals to instanced BGs. Plus a single instance of Alterac Valley/Capital City Raid on each server instead of a "relic raid".

It is EXACTLY the same model of WoW mixed with DAoC's persistence. They are simply trying to leech from it, mixing some elements and smoothing the corners. I only see a BIG, GLOWING ENVY for WoW there. For the single element that in WoW sucks so much and should NEVER be taken as a model.

What pisses me off is that those elements could have been easily integrated in DAoC instead of constantly make the PvE more stupid and the PvP so static.

Still NOTHING that hints that the two games will be different, even if they repeat that WH isn't DAoC2 every two words. And it's even more ridicule how they are leeching the "viriginal" community on that other site as they did with the Vault years ago. As if stupidly considering the two playerbases as two different entitites and showing a different face to each.

But you know what? I'm just ranting. The model is so clean and starting from the solid premises in DAoC that it can easily work.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 06:02:04 PM

Oh wow...

I was expecting the game to have the harsh, gritty look, taking out the darker side of the setting and going sharply AGAINST WoW at least on this aspect. Well, they are going with even more caricatural, cartoonish, oddly colored and odd looking version of WoW.

Believe it or not, I'm not joking.

Not only they are copying the look of WoW characters, but they are copying also how the environments look and the pastel-colored textures of the buildings. Look at the background of the big image on the middle-right with the dwarf. Tell me if that texture doesn't seem ripped off right from WoW.

Even the style of the weapons and armors is cartoonish and ripped off WoW. They are even imitating the big shoulderpads.

COME ON MYTHIC!

No, really. I appreciated DAoC's graphic with the latest expansions because everything looked more realistic and immersive. I thought they were going further in that direction. Instead they are imitating WoW even in the style. One that they obviously cannot handle as well. Like fighting WoW in its own house. How utterly stupid...

Looks like Mythic has a huge e-peen envy there...

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 06:32:55 PM

Not only they are copying the look of WoW characters, but they are copying also how the environments look and the pastel-colored textures of the buildings. Look at the background of the big image on the middle-right with the dwarf. Tell me if that texture doesn't seem ripped off right from WoW.

Or maybe Blizzard has been ripping off the Warhammer aesthetic since before there was a World of Warcraft? They've been doing it so long, you've forgotten that it wasn't their's to begin with.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 07:17:45 PM

Or maybe Blizzard has been ripping off the Warhammer aesthetic since before there was a World of Warcraft? They've been doing it so long, you've forgotten that it wasn't their's to begin with.
Just based on those few pictures it does seem like the game has lost the "grittiness" that the Climax screenshots had. The Warhammer world is a very grim and depressing one which Climax tried to capture but Mythic seems to be moving away from towards a more WoWish aesthetic like HRose said.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 07:57:25 PM

Except that it's not true. That bright shit has been going on in their MINIATURES games for damn near a decade+ now. It's perfectly in keeping with how their stuff looks. WFRP is licensed out to another company and (last I checked) isn't even carried in their stores. In fact, when I was working retail for them and we were going over sales pitches I was told specifically NOT to mention any comparison to RPGs or D&D or anything. They don't give a fuck about gritty and haven't in a very long time.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 08:53:00 PM

The models do look pretty War-hammery to me. The colors don't. Miniatures tend to have a slightly worn, gritty look just naturally, and in addition a lot of people add grit to their models intentionally.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:47 PM

The models do look pretty War-hammery to me. The colors don't. Miniatures tend to have a slightly worn, gritty look just naturally, and in addition a lot of people add grit to their models intentionally.

It really depends on what era of GW you're talking about. The painting styles in the late 80's/early 90's were gaudy as all hell. None of those screenshots looked out of the ordinary or overly "bright" for their respective races in any time frame of GW painting styles.

And yes, Blizzard has been stealing GW's shit since, well, always. Everything they've ever done is a barely modified version of something from Games Workshop. GW just never gave a shit enough to press the issue. Watch that change soon though. It's also why you'll never, ever, ever see a Warcraft miniatures game, despite the fact people would buy tons of it.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 11:23:15 PM

I'm not referring to the look and coloring of the models which if anything are more subdued than GW's in-house garish and brightly colored 'Eavy Metal miniature painting style (and yes Blizzard stole the giant shoulder pads from GW and not the other way around). I'm talking about the look of the world as represented by all the WH illustrations and paintings in their various books and magazines and the "feel" of the world as described in the same places (where the world is a grim and dark place). Granted it's just a small sampling of screenshots from the magazine but the screenshots from the Climax work looked a lot closer to the way WH is portrayed in the above illustrations than these ones.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006, 01:38:30 AM

There are shared RvR zones with resource nodes and nearby portals to instanced BGs. Plus a single instance of Alterac Valley/Capital City Raid on each server instead of a "relic raid".

It is EXACTLY the same model of WoW mixed with DAoC's persistence. They are simply trying to leech from it, mixing some elements and smoothing the corners. I only see a BIG, GLOWING ENVY for WoW there. For the single element that in WoW sucks so much and should NEVER be taken as a model.

What pisses me off is that those elements could have been easily integrated in DAoC instead of constantly make the PvE more stupid and the PvP so static.

By your logic, WoW is a copy of the DAoC pvp system, mixing some elements and smoothing the corners.  I think you are reaching as well on the details given.

Also, ignoring for a second the historial influence of GW on Blizzard and vica versa, everyone in the game industry has BIG, GLOWING ENVY for WoW, here's one small example from Ncsoft..  An income of 5 hollywood blockbuster movies a year from 1 game tends to make waves.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006, 01:51:11 AM

Also, ignoring for a second the historial influence of GW on Blizzard and vica versa, everyone in the game industry has BIG, GLOWING ENVY for WoW, here's one small example from Ncsoft..  An income of 5 hollywood blockbuster movies a year from 1 game tends to make waves.
Oh look it's a WoW Diablo mashup.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR Warhammer preview PC Gamer April  
Jump to: