Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: I have Ascended. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have Ascended.  (Read 8021 times)
Daydreamer
Contributor

on: May 13, 2005, 05:05:19 AM

Now you mere mortals can kiss my shiny plate-metal ass.

(Note: On my first try I missed the bonus on the Mirror fight by five friggin seconds ARG!)
(Note the second: The Dragon's Lair is easily soloable with henchies, especially since they finally added the second monk henchie and raised all henchies to 20.  Just don't even THINK of trying the bonus boss without a fully decked out group of level 20 human players.  Just don't, it won't be pretty *shudders*)

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 06:13:41 AM

As a Monk fighting myself didn't seem like I was fighting myself. I didn't know I had an AXE or a BOW!

I finally put three spells on my bar and won but it took 10 tries.

Bane Signet, The Smite over time spell, and the Heal over time spell.  That was the combo that worked. The Monk mirror doesn't use that heal spell. He uses all the others.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 07:44:37 AM

I can imagine fighting my mirror Me/W is going to be FUN.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:05:58 AM

Please explain Ascended?  It sounds dreamy.  I'm so newb, I not only have no special equipment or powers, I am ignorant to them as well!  So far, ignorance hasn't been bliss, so I'm trying to remedy that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:19:43 AM

Excuse me. I have to fight a nuker.

Neither of us will have heals. Cockles.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 08:57:32 AM

Please explain Ascended?  It sounds dreamy.  I'm so newb, I not only have no special equipment or powers, I am ignorant to them as well!  So far, ignorance hasn't been bliss, so I'm trying to remedy that.

He doesn't need to 'splain it to you, Lucy.

He just needs to spell is correctly: ass-ended

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Strazos

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 12:56:22 PM

Excuse me. I have to fight a nuker.

Neither of us will have heals. Cockles.

At least I have Ether Feast.

I might try to get crazy and equip a few interrupts, hehe.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Jdub
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 04:42:54 PM

I won the mirror match on the 3rd try with my Me/E. I equipped two AoEs (Fire Storm and Chaos Storm), Empathy, Ether Feast, and 4 useless skills (res signet, capture signet...). The AoEs are nice because when the mirror tries to use them on you, you simply move and they're useless, while you can actually cast them on him and do damage. Empathy is important because you can use it on him (he will hit you with weapons; a lot) and simply not use your weapon if he uses it on you. Ether Feast to stay alive while the other three took care of him. Oh, I think I used Glyph of Lesser Energy too, fwiw. Just come up with 4 or so skills along those lines that can be used to dmg the mirror guy but not allow him to dmg you, and slot in useless junk in the other slots. Something like Ward Against Melee from the ele earth line or anything similar would be useful too actually since the bulk of the dmg done to you with a skillset like that is going to be melee. Spirt Shackles and some of the other skills along those lines might not be a bad idea, and allow you to drop him even more easily.

I tried interrupts the first two - they were evil, since he could use them on me just as effectively. Also, Backfire could be good if you get it off first. If not, well, you die.

I think the right build could take the dragon with henchies. I had it below half health before I diied. I'm tempted to try again sometime with some extra protection from ele/fire dmg in place of some other less useful skills.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 01:34:29 AM

WOOT! Ascended! Mirror Fight: First Try! Now I'm on my way to "finishing" the game in the shiverpeaks.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 05:02:21 AM

Congratulations to everyone whom has ascended. It's about darn time.

SHEESH.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 08:56:47 AM

So what happens after Ascension? Can you pick up skills from other classes?  Or change your seconday?  Do you keep all your skills?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 09:32:48 AM

So what happens after Ascension?

You realize that it means nothing, since the Korean uber guilds are always 10 steps ahead of you.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 11:02:25 AM

So what happens after Ascension? Can you pick up skills from other classes?  Or change your seconday?  Do you keep all your skills?

You can switch seconday skills through quests issued from the three towns surrounding Augury Rock.  You keep your skills, but you cannot use skills from your old secondary class until you switch back.

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 02:24:01 PM

Wait wait wait wait. So I can switch to Mesmer or something else? Oh so sweet.
Jdub
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 05:20:24 PM

Wait wait wait wait. So I can switch to Mesmer or something else? Oh so sweet.

You can, but the actual viability of doing so is slim unless you only want to unlock a very few skills really. Well, I think you can go back and run some quests for mesmer skills, which would unlock some. But beyond that, you're rather screwed - you won't have enough skill points to unlock all of the skills for your first two professions as it is. You'll either need to choose very carefully, only unlock the best, and then have the ability to unlock a few mesmer skills, or grind grind grind for extra skill points post level 20.

It's a nice idea, but it only seems feasible for unlocking a very small number of extra skills for a very particular build perhaps. If they made it easier to acquire skill points (say through questing for skill points somehow) things would work much better.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 05:21:52 PM

Everyone keeps talking about the Koreans but in the very very limited time I had my new comp online (fucking fucking fuck be careful when fucking around near cpu pins... jesus christ) I never saw the Hall of Heroes captured by anything but America.

I wonder if Blood Eagle comes from the Tribes community though.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 05:38:20 PM

I've seen God's of Europe once, Gods of America several times, and Gods of Korea dozens of times.
Strazos

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 05:49:19 PM

You can, but the actual viability of doing so is slim unless you only want to unlock a very few skills really. Well, I think you can go back and run some quests for mesmer skills, which would unlock some. But beyond that, you're rather screwed - you won't have enough skill points to unlock all of the skills for your first two professions as it is. You'll either need to choose very carefully, only unlock the best, and then have the ability to unlock a few mesmer skills, or grind grind grind for extra skill points post level 20.

It's a nice idea, but it only seems feasible for unlocking a very small number of extra skills for a very particular build perhaps. If they made it easier to acquire skill points (say through questing for skill points somehow) things would work much better.

The thing is....you don't need to unlock All of the skills, just the ones you want. I have 30 attribute points right now, which should be plenty.

Fear the Backstab!
Jdub
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 07:50:34 PM

The thing is....you don't need to unlock All of the skills, just the ones you want. I have 30 attribute points right now, which should be plenty.

This is true, but it depends largely on your professions. I think something like a warrior casn easily bypass many of the skills available since they come from weapon lines he won't be using and whatnot. But I went Mes/Ele - there are ridiculous numbers of useful spells in both lines. I'm down to 13 or 14 skill points right now, and there are still 1-4 general skills worth taking (1 I definitely want and 3 maybes) and 25 elite skills I don't have, to mull over. Of those 25, there are an honest 12 or so I'm interested in.

Yes, you could go with much less and still be able to make several powerful builds, but there are so many crazy, cool combos and gimmick builds and whatnot that you can make with Mes/Ele that there are very few useless skills. As it stands, I believe I will be skipping on the order of 20-30 skills from each profession, and I'll still run out of skill points. Swapping to Ranger as a secondary to unlock Poison Arrow for a Poison Arrow/Epidemic build on occasion could be fun, but trying to get a number of Ranger skills just ain't happening.

So, anyway, I am unlocking just the ones I want, and that I believe will be useful to me at one time or another. And there aren't enough skill points to do it. There are if you are rather focused, but it's the variety and M:TG qualities of the skills that interests me most about this game. I'd imagine there are other people who feel the same way, and won't want to settle for unlocking only a smattering of skills from each class.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 04:13:51 AM by Jdub »
Strazos

Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 11:08:15 PM

25 Elites you don't have to mull over?

Yeah, I guess you could get them all, if you need that many different builds....

Fear the Backstab!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 02:31:03 AM

Have you learned nothing?

GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL BITCHES!@!!

Expansions untill you can win skills from arena's ala MtG's ante system:  0-3

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
e_bortion
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 07:36:27 AM

I won against my mirror self by loading my bar with all AOE and moving around a lot. The mirror image does not move, so casting AOE on me won't hurt me as much.
Strazos

Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 11:43:39 AM

I pretty much won simply by taking my DoT spell out and smack/interrupting my clone. I finished above 50% health.

Fear the Backstab!
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2005, 11:18:04 PM

The mirror fight is trivial if you're a mesmer primary/secondary...

- Respec full Domination
- your bar should look like: Backfire, Empathy, 6 non-damaging spells, pref. low energy cost
- cast Backfire right away, follow up with Empathy and do nothing else, your mirror will kill himself in under 10 seconds
- profit!

-- Z.

Strazos

Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 12:25:25 AM

You forgot about the part where the gnomes drop a minecar on someone.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: I have Ascended.  
Jump to: