Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017  (Read 50223 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: May 27, 2019, 09:36:59 AM

I was going to write something snarky to explain things, but Ezrast beat me to it.  awesome, for real

But let's talk about how AOL dial-up was at it's peak during the same time WoW was being developed  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: May 27, 2019, 09:44:33 AM

Jesus people.  Was just yelling at clouds.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 27, 2019, 09:45:55 AM

Jesus people.  Was just yelling at clouds.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #143 on: May 27, 2019, 10:13:54 AM

Let us never forget that no MMOG, not even the most successful ones, were ever written with any more than the most seat-of-the-pants spaghetti code sort of way. It's a wonder any of them ever worked after the first live patch.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 27, 2019, 10:24:01 AM

Anarchy Online is still....online.  ACK!

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: May 27, 2019, 10:24:31 AM

Jesus people.  Was just yelling at clouds.
Ha, sorry. You stumbled across one of my triggers as an ops guy; not your fault.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:57 AM

On the bright side, you got a chance to write a wall of text.  So there’s that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: May 27, 2019, 01:52:25 PM

Let us never forget that no MMOG, not even the most successful ones, were ever written with any more than the most seat-of-the-pants spaghetti code sort of way. It's a wonder any of them ever worked after the first live patch.

eve.exe

aka how to take down your customer's computer as an added bonus

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 27, 2019, 02:14:45 PM

I got all the nostalgia I wanted out of this by watching someone stream playing an undead rogue for 7 minutes.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: May 27, 2019, 11:47:50 PM

I got all the nostalgia I wanted out of this by watching someone stream playing an undead rogue for 7 minutes.

I started playing on a private server, had fun, got level 12 and got hit with the grind flashback *hard*. I'll still play classic, mostly because I promised to join some ex-guildmates but I doubt I get past lvl 30 before Christmas.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: August 04, 2019, 02:55:59 PM

I didn't know you could play WoW for free to level 20. Found out last night. I think i played in...2006?

Goldshire is different...and yet hasn't changed a bit. Orks instead of defliers in red masks. The little kobold mine is closed and makes me sad for some reason I can't explain. Being offered a ride tor the bridge and seeing a Gryphon station outside the inn seems sooo...wrong. The map tells you excatly where to go and nothing is hidden. What, WALKING is too much now? I know the game was mostly a theme park, but everything's on a travellater now?I feel like I might as well be given a Segway and a tour guide.

No one is talking around the Inn like I seem to have memories of. There's 50 people here. Maybe it's because I'm on a free account?

There is one guy spamming asking for new members for a new guild...and I think it's the same spam I saw 10+ years ago.

I'm really confused by the lack of choosing talents..I just get given to me now without making any choice? I'm level 6 and the only choice I've made is my hair colour.

I can see why Classic mode is such a popular idea to a lot of people now. I know I'm not the target for the game now - 99% of people have hit max level and seen everything and done everything already. Again, I suspect I'm not the WoW target audience, never having even done a raid or gotten high enough to see most of the dungeons that I guess everyone has by now.

I think I will be interested in paying for a sub when Classic comes out.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: August 05, 2019, 12:59:53 AM

Will sub WoW to try this.  I stopped playing WoW after about two weeks of BC- eager to see if it can transport me back in time to being 23 with no kids and unlimited free time, as obviously promised.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
lesion

Reply #152 on: August 05, 2019, 06:02:43 AM

Yeah, the beta hit the buttons for me but it's a mix of "oh daaaang I remember this heh that's cool but also so god damn slow" and "I have to do the dishes or my partner will leave me."

steam|a grue \[T]/
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: August 14, 2019, 09:43:33 PM

I'm torn between playing a hunter, which is and was my main, and playing something different, like pally or druid.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Will people who didn't play before find it interesting enough to play? There are an awful lot of quality of life improvements that have been made, but something has been lost along the way (i.e., the speed and ease of getting to max level rather than exploring all the nooks and crannies and finding things of interest).

Or perhaps that is just my nostalgia kicking in.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: August 20, 2019, 01:50:36 AM

I've signed up a new account, for some reason my old one didn't exist anymore. Looks like nearly every server is FULL. 10,000+ queues.

See you in the hells of the wait times I guess.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 20, 2019, 02:55:14 AM

Queues are going to be brutal. I'm hoping they release another PvE realm. I'm on Pagle at the moment but I'd jump ship if they opened another one so I don't have to deal with queues.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 20, 2019, 04:57:18 AM

Brutal queues are a fundamental part of the Vanilla WoW experience. why so serious?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 20, 2019, 05:12:19 AM

Brutal queues are a fundamental part of the Vanilla WoW experience. why so serious?

Along with frequent server crashes and emergency maintenance.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: August 20, 2019, 05:23:19 AM

Dumb question, but is there a free trial with this like with current WoW?  I kinda want to get my boy to try it, so he can see how MMOs were in the olden days of yore, where you had to run a mile to find the arrow shooting trainer and you loved it.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:40 AM

No idea, but with overwhelming queues there shouldn't be.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: August 20, 2019, 06:29:31 AM

Dumb question, but is there a free trial with this like with current WoW?  I kinda want to get my boy to try it, so he can see how MMOs were in the olden days of yore, where you had to run a mile to find the arrow shooting trainer and you loved it.

AFAIK free trial only applies to normal WoW.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #161 on: August 20, 2019, 08:10:16 AM

I've signed up a new account, for some reason my old one didn't exist anymore. Looks like nearly every server is FULL. 10,000+ queues.

So you really are partying like it's 2003?

I guess I can recycle my review of the original WOW beta/release - "Hire more AZNs."

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 25, 2019, 07:56:44 PM

T minus 18 hours to go.  As a US guy in Japan, I guess I will go Arugal.  I'm sure I will play but rarely, but any Australians here should feel free to say hi if they ever see my name or a close variation thereon (always Horde side, life still hasn't brought me low enough to roll Alliance).

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 26, 2019, 03:20:44 PM

Tried to log in to Whitemane 20 minutes before live. Queue was 13000+.

Switched to the least populated newest server, and am 1,987 in queue, 20 minutes after live.

Like launch only worse.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 26, 2019, 03:57:25 PM

And once you make it through the queue, you get stuck on the loading screen for 2+ minutes until it boots you back to character select with a "World Server is down" message.

Truly the authentic classic experience.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #165 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:57 PM

So they went the route of too authentic, too true to the classic?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #166 on: August 27, 2019, 09:08:32 AM

I am disappointed in some people right now. You know who you are.

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 27, 2019, 09:48:46 AM

I remember queues and tons of downtime with EQ but I played WoW from day 1 and never remember waiting 15 minutes to get in the game, then again that was a very long time ago so maybe I am misremembering.  Chasing the dragon eventually leads to a heroin overdose and death, instead of revisiting them some things are better left as a fond memory.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 27, 2019, 11:37:45 AM

I am disappointed in some people right now. You know who you are.

Everyone NOT playing this money grab?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #169 on: August 27, 2019, 12:53:04 PM

I don't know how any of your still have time for this idea  why so serious?

It was a time drag the first time around when I was in my 20s. I can't even begin to imagine trying to level now in my 30s. I'd get to level 10 and probably forget about it for 2 weeks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 27, 2019, 11:42:28 PM

To be honest, the idea of classic WoW is more appealing than modern WoW.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 27, 2019, 11:54:17 PM

I started playing on a private server, had fun, got level 12 and got hit with the grind flashback *hard*. I'll still play classic, mostly because I promised to join some ex-guildmates but I doubt I get past lvl 30 before Christmas.

Day 1:
Level 13, 5h played. :shame:

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 30, 2019, 06:57:56 AM

Pretty much how I remembered it, I'm not hating it.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #173 on: August 30, 2019, 07:01:47 AM

But the real question is: how's Barrens chat?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: October 11, 2019, 06:15:52 AM

I'll hit lvl 60 next week. 7 weeks past release. That's with 2 weeks of not being able to play due to RL.  It's been surprisingly pleasant (I think) and full of flashbacks. Killing hundreds of raptors for those 8 talons, getting drive-by'ed while fighting a big mob pull and all.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: World of Warcraft Classic announced at Blizzcon 2017  
Jump to: