Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: New Thor will be a woman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Thor will be a woman  (Read 77382 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

on: July 15, 2014, 12:34:45 PM

So apparently Thor is gonna get a sex change. Looking pretty good post-op.
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/15/marvel-says-a-female-character-will-be-the-new-thor/
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:58 PM

Makes no sense.

"Me am play gods"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:51 PM

Makes no sense.

It's a comic book, welcome to nearly a century of not making sense.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 01:14:03 PM

Executive: Grats Steve you been promoted. Larry was fired for moral failings.
Walter: My name is Walter. And who is Larry?
Executive: You are Steve now the you hold Steve's office. Larry was unworthy to be Steve.
Walter: Wouldn't that make me, The Steve? Walter, the Steve. It's a title.
Executive: No, no, it's way too difficult to remember who is currently Director of Manufacturing systems. It's easy to change your name to Steve.
Steve: Easier for whom...  Fuck.

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:30:28 PM

Does this mean we can expect a woman to take over as “Thor” in the third movie coming from Marvel? Or does this just have a thunderous impact on the continuity of the comics? It’s not clear at the moment.

Of fucking course not. What idiot would think they'd radically alter a multi-million dollar franchise movie series because of what the comics did?

And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor,

Yeah, no, she's a temporary female substitute. Please don't insult our intelligence by making us think the next writer won't completely undo what you have done or that you yourself won't undo it to make a path for the next guy. Comics readers know better by now.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

There will be a female Thor in the movies around the same time they also age Steve Rogers into an old man in the movies.

Over and out.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:56:30 PM

The original Thor will return to being the Thor we know around the time Thor 3 hits the screens.  If this new Thor is a success, they'll figure out a way to give her a hammer of her own - alternate reality hammer, Beta Ray Bill's weapon, etc...

However, I was wondering if they would have a second Thor in the MCU... I have been wondering if they'll go down the road of having Cap be able to lift Thor's hammer and gain his powers during one of the Avengers movies (established in the comics back in the 80s and made a feature point of several stories over the years).

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:50:30 PM

Guys. This is a very old comic-book trope. Rule 63 characters are just especially popular at the moment.

I mean, here's a partial list:

Spider-Man: replaced by his clone (very complicated) and then much later by Doctor Octopus possessing Peter Parker's body; also alt-universe version Miles Morales
Iron Man: replaced by James Rhodes for a lengthy period and by other Iron Men for shorter durations almost all the way back to the beginning of the comic. Bethany Cabe once wore the armor, but not for long (complaining among other things that it wasn't built for a woman's body)
Doctor Strange: resigned as Sorcerer Supreme, replaced for a little while by Brother Voodoo
Captain America: replaced quite frequently, though so far always by white men. That's about to end--The Falcon is going to take over for a while for him.
Hank Pym: not only does he change his own costume, he gives away costumes (or has them stolen) to lots of other people, including women
Batman: replaced for a goodly while by both Dick Grayson and Azrael
Superman: sort of replaced but not really on occasion.
The Flash: three versions, plus replaced by Jesse Quick and by a future Flash for short time periods
Wonder Woman: replaced on several occasions by other Amazons, most notably Artemis and her mother
Thor: replaced by a different human being during one of the numerous periods where he was dead; replaced by a space alien who looks like a horse; turned into a frog
Martian Manhunter: I got nothing, he's pretty much it
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

It's like some people love comics but have a six month memory when it comes to them. 

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 03:05:02 PM

I don't get why people act like someone is arguing with them when essentially everyone says the same darn thing...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:46 PM

Making comic book announcements on The View? I mean, I realize that it ends up getting reported on by Time and WSJ and such, but given that even most comic book readers aren't really going to give a shit, why even bother making this a "big" announcement.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 04:12:52 PM

What do the network that airs The View and Marvel have in common?

Over and out.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:36 PM

Also The View has a 99.9999% female viewership.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 04:26:00 PM

Making comic book announcements on The View? I mean, I realize that it ends up getting reported on by Time and WSJ and such, but given that even most comic book readers aren't really going to give a shit, why even bother making this a "big" announcement.

Nobody giving a shit makes it perfect for The View.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:40 PM

jgsugden:

Threaded conversation. Post after your post is not necessarily talking to you. May be talking to people five posts up. Maybe just being repetitious or throwing the ball through the goal after someone has scored already.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 03:22:34 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 06:15:11 AM

jgsugden:

Threaded conversation. Post after your post is not necessarily talking to you. May be talking to people five posts up. Maybe just being repetitious or throwing the ball through the goal after someone has scored already.

No, his point stands.  Everyone in this thread is providing counter-points to, "makes no sense", and conversations in another thread on another forum.  "makes no sense" was actually prescient.

Changing Thor to a woman or a frog does, in fact, make no sense.  Saying, "they do that shit all the time", is not a counter-argument to, "makes no sense", it just makes it worse.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:29:27 AM

I'm saying it makes no sense but this is the ride everyone got in line for so you either enjoy it or you don't.  Comics are just doing what they have always done by trying to make old characters,in some cases 50 years or more, feel new.   Otherwise known as throwing shit on a wall to see what sticks.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 08:01:08 AM

jgsugden:

If only this forum software provided us with a tool to make it clear to whom we are replying.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:18:40 AM

We're not allowed to use @

It angers the Trippy God.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:07 AM

We're not allowed to use @

It angers the Trippy God.

If the @ symbol is not appropriate  then the classic phrase  "In response to" helps to clarify the person being responded to. It's just a shame that words are too hard.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:38 AM

WORDS ARE HARD.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:46 AM

jgsugden:

Let me put on my tan trenchcoat and get my lazy eye going.....

Just one more question: Then who were you talking to?  Everybody seemed to be in agreement that this is an odd choice with no real long term impact.  The biggest impact you could expect long term would be another Beta-Ray Bill-ish Thor making a guest appearance every 8 years in one of the 8 million Spider-man books or being a member of the South East Bronx Avengers Reserves.  Why did we need to be settled down with a "guys" before telling us what we all seem to already know?

Was a post deleted in there somewhere?

That is what I didn't get.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 11:49:47 AM

disappointed Tony didn't ask for pics.  why so serious?
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 01:30:25 PM

Apparently I got someone banned from the Marvel Heroes fora (for the online game) by baiting him into a racist rant (something about Obama wanting to make everything less white, therefore white female Thor)  why so serious?  I wanted to post the convo here but it got deleted.  Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 01:40:23 PM

That's awesome.

Marvel Comics: FEMALE THOR!
Racist Fan: THANKS OBAMA!

why so serious?

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 02:24:11 PM

That's awesome.

Marvel Comics: FEMALE THOR!
Racist Fan: THANKS OBAMA!

why so serious?

IT WAS GLORIOUS. I usually don't troll people but he had it coming.  If I gave the link can someone try to find the deleted posts on the internet or does that no longer work?

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/113706/thor-as-a-woman/p1 I'm Junassa and the redstater was Servere

Oh but I think i did save one bit:
obama has made it his buiness for this country to be anything but white..its called come illegals for free everything while the us citizens get squat..something your clearly for.and without rob ..your "current" guy wouldnt be sh*t...pay attention.

by Rob he means Liefeld.So he's saying current artists owe their livelihood to Liefeld.  why so serious?

eta: took a little digging but I found his original post

its a sad reminder why i got out of comics ...marvel has gotten rid of all the good artists and replaced it with children drawings.

then as if their running out of ideas they gender change..nick fury is black. thor is a girl.get a new captain america,muslim ms marvel. its like obama is running marvel now .

its dumb
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:33:10 PM by Raguel »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 02:49:15 PM

This is the Google cache version. Unfortunately it was made before the fun started:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/113706/thor-as-a-woman
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 03:34:38 PM

Apparently I got someone banned from the Marvel Heroes fora (for the online game) by baiting him into a racist rant (something about Obama wanting to make everything less white, therefore white female Thor)  why so serious?  I wanted to post the convo here but it got deleted.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:15 PM

Was that you edging him on? I just flagged the post as a troll and moved on with my life.  why so serious?

Dude was crazy.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 06:46:18 PM

Was that you edging him on? I just flagged the post as a troll and moved on with my life.  why so serious?

Dude was crazy.

Yeah it was me. Usually I let that stuff slide but every once in a while I get sick of listening to bagger b.s. and let them have it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:39 AM

That guy must be having an aneurysm now that they've announced that Falcon will be taking over as Captain America in the comics.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 03:02:17 AM

And cap was is avatar.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 06:40:26 AM

Hey guis, you know what you want to do when you have an iconic character who has female fans swooning in droves at your really succesful hunky man movies?

Giuve the hammer to a woman with huge huzangas and make her Thor, son of Odin! Say what

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2014/07/15/mjolnir-to-be-taken-up-by-a-female-in-new-thor-series/

Mjolnir to be Taken Up by a Female in New ‘Thor’ Series

Disney owns ABC. Disney owns Marvel.

So it only makes sense — I guess? — that the announcement of a female Thor happens on ABC’s female-centric morning talk show The View.

In the new installation of the Thor comics, the mighty Mjolnir will be picked up by a woman.

To be clear: Thor is not becoming a woman; the hammer is being passed on, but the how and why remains unclear, as does the woman’s identity. But so far, this has been revealed:

“The story behind her is she created herself. She was saved by Thor and she came down to Earth, followed him, and made herself look like Thor and so now she’s taking over,” according to the The View.

“Thor” will be written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder), with art by Russell Dauterman (Cyclops), and will be published in October.

“This is not She-Thor,” Aaron said. “This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before,” Variety wrote.

Holy dumb ideas Moonknight!!

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:37 AM

This:
“This is not She-Thor,” Aaron said. “This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before,” Variety wrote.

Does not gel with this:
To be clear: Thor is not becoming a woman; the hammer is being passed on, but the how and why remains unclear, as does the woman’s identity. But so far, this has been revealed:

“The story behind her is she created herself. She was saved by Thor and she came down to Earth, followed him, and made herself look like Thor and so now she’s taking over,” according to the The View.

Because that just sounds like Thorita.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: New Thor will be a woman  
Jump to: