Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382158 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #805 on: January 22, 2015, 02:26:46 PM

I just thought you should all know that for a brief moment I saw the title of this thread as "F14: A Realm Reborn," and wondered why the site was getting a sequel.

That is all. Carry on.

We've broken the cycle.  schild acquired his wife without sacrificing the site.

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #806 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:54 AM

I don't know why the fact that they just added time wasting FF mini-games like Triple Triad and Chocobo Racing (and Breeding) into FFXIV makes me tempted to come back for a month or two.
Seraphim
Terracotta Army

Reply #807 on: February 26, 2015, 11:20:59 AM

I don't know why the fact that they just added time wasting FF mini-games like Triple Triad and Chocobo Racing (and Breeding) into FFXIV makes me tempted to come back for a month or two.

There will be a free to play period for existing accounts starting tomorrow until March 9th.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #808 on: February 26, 2015, 11:21:37 AM

When it involves playing Triple Triad, there is no such thing as wasted time.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #809 on: February 26, 2015, 11:50:18 AM

Friend of mine who is subbed to the game says this is the best patch he's ever seen in any MMO he's played. He's now fully addicted to playing mini-games all the time.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #810 on: February 26, 2015, 01:38:28 PM

They added Triple Triad? Welp, there goes my free time.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #811 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:48 PM

There will be a free to play period for existing accounts starting tomorrow until March 9th.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up.  Now I get to try my new laptop out on it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #812 on: February 26, 2015, 04:03:55 PM

Well shit. Downloading the client now.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #813 on: February 28, 2015, 11:55:29 AM

Decided to look around a bit during the free week on my level 50 white mage after being away from the game for 18 months... and holy crap, there's an insane amount of new content. Most of it seems to be gated behind series of fetch quests that seem to take forever (including the new-and-expanded main questline), however.

Also decided to hop into duty finder since I was on the last step of the relic quest (HM Titan) when I left. Verdict: still not puggable, even with most people overgearing it and the "get a stacking 10% buff ala WOW LFR when you wipe" mechanic.  awesome, for real I didn't get hit by anything, but the other healer got knocked off regularly during the first 2 phases, and I'm nowhere near geared enough to soloheal it at this point... still in a mix of AK and darklight gear, and only a i55 weapon. Going to get on the questline to open the Crystal Tower and see if better lewt will help!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #814 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM

Let me know if there's an easy way to gear up. I tried going back a few months ago (whenever they added Ninja) but my gear was shit and as a tank there's no way to fix that via instances.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #815 on: February 28, 2015, 12:15:41 PM

I hate you all for making me want to start playing this again. As I said a million times now though it's the fetch quests that killed it for me (and the combat), and apparently the insane amount of fetch quests hasn't been reduced. How do you folks manage to survive that soul crushing endless running back and forth?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #816 on: February 28, 2015, 01:30:44 PM

Ok, I've gotten the urge to play a diku type mmo again.  Somebody tell me what a fun, non-boring class is (I don't find healing boring, though I know some people do).  Think I'll give this one a whirl.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #817 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:36 PM

Messed around with all the Golden Saucer stuff yesterday. There are a number of throwaway mini-games and lottery ticket type stuff, but I had some fun with Triple Triad. The Chocobo racing stuff is ok although it felt a bit laggy when I was playing and I couldn't tell whether I was playing against the AI other players. You only kinda steer and mostly just manage stamina. I assume as you level up or breed better chocobos they'll be more responsive and listen to you inputs more, but early on the controls feel a bit sluggish. Also decided to do a bit of leveling rather than try to remember how to play my lv. 50 Dragoon.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #818 on: February 28, 2015, 04:31:59 PM

"get a stacking 10% buff ala WOW LFR when you wipe" mechanic.
Wait, what?

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #819 on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:19 PM

Wait, what?
It's called "Echo" and apparently all of the older raids have it... in two different shapes. Primals have a double-strength copy of WOW determination, 10% increase in hp/damage/healing every time the party wipes up to 50% [!]. Older raids have a flat bonus as long as you're in the instance, kinda like the "Icecrown is melting" buff for ICC near the end of WOTLK. Of course you can click it off if you're h4rdk0r3.

According to these three summaries, echo was added to HM primals in 2.2, the first 5 Coil turns got a static 10% bump in 2.21 (same patch that made coil 1-5 LFRable) increased to 20% in 2.28, then this was extended to turns 6-9 in 2.41. Apparently it's also in place for EX primals.

e: interestingly, echo doesn't seem to apply to Crystal Tower, the 24-man "LFR-style" dungeon...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:41:30 PM by Zetor »

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #820 on: March 01, 2015, 01:41:59 PM

If I had to sum things up in a sentence as a returning player at max-level, it'd be "Man, they really have added a truckload of content... too bad about the delivery."

My old gear basically put me slightly higher than "someone who just hit 50" on the totem pole (this was very apparent when I zoned into HM titan and saw the other healer having 2x my hp), and that's fine, mudflation happens. I'm sure they have a quick gear catch-up mechanism like Timeless Isle... no? No prob, I can just get crafted or pvp gear... except the former is insanely expensive (an i110 item costs 1-2 MEELION gil, an i90 item costs 200k... I had about 270k money total) and the latter sounds like something that'd make me put the game down before I even started. Besides, I don't want to gear up for gear's sake since it's pointless with the expac hitting in a few months anyway -- I want to see content! There's that LFR-style Crystal Tower thing they put in, a whole lot of hardmode dungeons and whatnot, plus they added a gazillion storyline quests at 50. Dungeons are gated behind quests in the post-50 "main scenario" storyline as well as the Hildibrand side story thing... sounds great, get to de choppa! There's even a guide for it!

... wrong choice. The new hardmode dungeons are usually simple breadcrumbs to unlock (though they still take at least 15-20 mins each due to no easy fast travel options... or blowing a lot of gil on teleports to shorten the time a bit). Thing is, most of them require higher ilevel to queue for. The other things are gated by ilevel AND main story progress, making me feel like I'm in a strange alternate dimension where the "attunement" concept never went out of fashion. In some cases, this is almost tolerable -- I can accept that most stuff is only available after finishing the main storyline or that I need to kill HM primals before being able to kill EX primals. Sorry, let me reword that: I need to kill a HM primal so that I unlock the option to get a quest that will allow me to walk over to the appropriate high-level area, and right-click an object which will then unlock the extreme mode primal fight in the dungeon finder. It was also a bit annoying to go through 4 hours of questing just to unlock what is essentially the first LFR wing of the game (which is required to unlock the later, more current wings). One of the quests needed me to camp for some rare FATEs in the four corners of the world and get a gold rating on them... I ended up soloing them too. I honestly would've preferred a fetch quest there instead, but at least it was somewhat exciting DRILLING AND MANLINESS

But for the actual new content, I'd need to do fedex quests. Lots of fedex quests, with lots of running across zones. Most of the quests I did this weekend in these two categories didn't even have combat, just "go to x, click through some dialogs, go to y, click through more dialogs, maybe hand over an item, return", with a heavy emphasis on the savior of the world doing really mundane shit like playing errand-boy between an innkeeper and two provisioners in Ul'dah. I would accept this for the Hildibrand questline, since those are clearly some weird slapstick dealio that even managed to be somewhat humorous sometimes... but come on, I saved the world, can't you just send a lackey instead? Then I found that there's a set of side quests where you literally play a postman which implies that some people like this... I ain't judgin'!

I'm cool with cutscene-heavy super-simplistic quest design like this if it tells a compelling story (even if it has no voiceacting). I like TSW, SWTOR, and ESO exactly because they managed to make questing interesting in one way or another, even if much of their content is killing 10 rats or clicking on glowies. LOTRO also gets a pass since it has a 'traditional' diku quest track in addition to the shit that requires you to play courier between Elrond and-- I can't even remember. Thing is, the only time I felt engaged doing these new quests was that one cutscene where the refugees meet the council in Ul'dah. Everything else was just... not particularly enjoyable skip-fodder.

In my recollection, levelling 1-50 was actually pretty fun despite the quests using the same simplistic 'go there, kill 1-2 mobs, return' model. There were side quests in the same area, hunting logs (both from the class and GC), FATEs, etc... now it's even better since you can do dungeons for xp instead of FATEs all the time when leveling secondary classes. At 50 there's none of that, there's just riding from A to B (10 minutes), maybe killing a mob (10 seconds), then riding from B to A again. Or teleporting and riding to cut down the travel time by ~50% in exchange for a whole lot of gil.

To end on a bit of positive note, the game itself has improved a lot. The duty finder improvements alone (not to mention the actual content variance at 50 instead of having a whole 2 dungeons) would've definitely made me stick around way-back-when.

Bonus link for the grunks among us: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Zodiac_Weapon  why so serious?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:03:10 PM by Zetor »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #821 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:29 PM

That's a lot of words to say that MMO endgames suck.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #822 on: March 01, 2015, 08:42:58 PM

FFXIV has a decent enough end game at least in comparison to what is out there.  Ive stuck with this game since launch and I havent grown bored of it.  I have my relic weapon, done raids, all primals, most side quests, etc.  Part of why I have stayed is the content is good and updates are frequent enough.  The game isn't low on end game content, there is lots to do especially for a new player who hits max level.  The update this week with triple triad and chocobo racing is pretty good. 
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #823 on: March 01, 2015, 10:22:51 PM

That's a lot of words to say that MMO endgames suck.
Not really. MMO endgames suck, that's a given (though that zodiac weapon thing goes beyond any grind I've ever seen in an MMO endgame). My problem is with the content gating, especially the 'eleventy billion fetch quests' approach... which isn't anything I've seen in a mmog in a long time (like, since 2005). I really wanted to see that cold-themed dungeon they had, but apparently I'd need to get to the end of the main story and get through X hours of tedious fetch quests. The attunement process to crystal tower took way too long for what is essentially a faceroll LFR pug fest at this point!

I'll fully accept that others find the main quest at 50 fun, which just underlines that this game is Not For Me.

The game isn't low on end game content, there is lots to do especially for a new player who hits max level.  The update this week with triple triad and chocobo racing is pretty good.
Well, that's why I started my rant with "truckload of content" (and yep, the scope of the minigames they added this patch is pretty impressive). My issue is that much of the stuff to do as a new player at max level is dull as shit, and there's no way around it if you want to unlock the dungeons/raids. Most of the content is really easy at this point thanks to massive gear inflation (titan was the only exception so far due to all the instakill mechanics), but I didn't complain about that... it's a diku game just before a new expansion, that stuff is expected.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:35:11 PM by Zetor »

Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #824 on: March 02, 2015, 12:46:57 AM

Wait, what?
It's called "Echo" and apparently all of the older raids have it... in two different shapes. Primals have a double-strength copy of WOW determination, 10% increase in hp/damage/healing every time the party wipes up to 50% [!]. Older raids have a flat bonus as long as you're in the instance, kinda like the "Icecrown is melting" buff for ICC near the end of WOTLK. Of course you can click it off if you're h4rdk0r3.

According to these three summaries, echo was added to HM primals in 2.2, the first 5 Coil turns got a static 10% bump in 2.21 (same patch that made coil 1-5 LFRable) increased to 20% in 2.28, then this was extended to turns 6-9 in 2.41. Apparently it's also in place for EX primals.

e: interestingly, echo doesn't seem to apply to Crystal Tower, the 24-man "LFR-style" dungeon...
I appreciate the clarifications, I was more surprised to read that WoW had such a mechanic. I absolutely despise that level of hand-holding in games, and for me the achievement of doing a dungeon/raid would be voided if the game had artificially decreased the challenge.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:48:46 AM by Sophismata »

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #825 on: March 02, 2015, 07:21:05 AM

Then you very simply don't run LFR.  Run Heroic+ like any self-respecting 1337 gamer.  Zero handholding, harder mechanics, tighter requirements for success.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #826 on: March 02, 2015, 09:28:38 AM

So, is it fine to just pick up a different job (after you get level 10, I know) if you want to try a totally different class, or is it best to make a new character and start from the ground up?  Do you actually need more than one character?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

Reply #827 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:53 AM

It's fine.  There's pretty much no need for a second character. 

Just go to a different capital if you'd like to run lowbie quests for leveling.  Although, honestly fates, hunts, guild quests, and leves would probably get you there just fine.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #828 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:04 AM

Good to know.  Rolled an Archer, but realized I might want to try healing.  I'll just stick with the character I already made.

-Stephen Colbert
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #829 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:26 AM

The only reason to roll another character is if you want to play another race, hide under another name, or need more storage space.  The whole time I've been subscribed, it's been on the cheaper one character per server plan, not the $15 a month one.  After a month of subscribing, you'll get an item that lets you race change once as well, if you end up not liking what you have.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #830 on: March 02, 2015, 07:58:50 PM

So, is it fine to just pick up a different job (after you get level 10, I know) if you want to try a totally different class, or is it best to make a new character and start from the ground up?  Do you actually need more than one character?

Stay with one, depending on your character makeup some class abilities carry over to other classes.  Leveling an Archer to 10, then switching classes you may want to level that archer more later for abilities that are useful for a different class as an example. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #831 on: March 03, 2015, 12:17:28 AM

Stay with one, depending on your character makeup some class abilities carry over to other classes.  Leveling an Archer to 10, then switching classes you may want to level that archer more later for abilities that are useful for a different class as an example. 

Also if you want to get the Black Mage job class at some point you'll have to level Archer to 15 anyway.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #832 on: March 07, 2015, 01:14:05 PM

Announced today Heavensward releases June 23. early access June 19.  Pre-orders begin March 16.  Technically not spring, they said they moved it back a little because they want it polished.  New gear, dont like some of it:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/umadori0726/archives/43702887.html
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #833 on: March 07, 2015, 01:36:36 PM

Yeah, the Lancer and Ninja look good. The rest....not so much. Wtf is up with that BLM hat?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #834 on: March 07, 2015, 06:15:14 PM

Yeah, the Lancer and Ninja look good. The rest....not so much. Wtf is up with that BLM hat?

It's not that bad. Scholar looks fantastic with the top hat. WHM are now nuns?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #835 on: March 07, 2015, 07:23:43 PM

Given that the expansion involves the dragon pope, the whm outfit doesn't surprise me that much.
Rasix

Reply #836 on: March 09, 2015, 11:58:42 AM

Well, that's not the worst bard outfit I've seen.

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #837 on: April 29, 2015, 01:40:09 AM

It looks like they have updated their benchmark app for the new expansion, so you can test how your machine would cope with the upgraded engine and stuff. It's available at http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/ and includes character creation, so allows to have the really important part of the experience without subscribing to the actual game why so serious?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #838 on: June 20, 2015, 04:54:46 PM

Is there anything in this expansion for players not at cap or finished with the primary story?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #839 on: June 20, 2015, 08:45:19 PM

Is there anything in this expansion for players not at cap or finished with the primary story?

There's a couple of new job/classes/whatever but I think that's about it.  You can't even enter the new areas without having a certain gear level.  Not character level.  Gear level. Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: