Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 382162 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #770 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:46 AM

That was a slow intro. 

What base class is fun to level up?  Archer seems OK, but not terrific so far.

They're all about on par with each other. It's a somewhat slow-burn on your way to 50. I've gotten my GLA to 19, now I'm taking a break from the story to level up MAU and CON to 15.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #771 on: August 01, 2014, 10:06:09 AM

Roll a female character.  You won't be able to take your eyes off of yourself.  Well, some of the male characters are far too cute, too.  I like this game quite a bit but I stopped playing to wait for player housing to appear.  Let me know if it's in.  I want to play a game where most of the stuff I consider important is ready.  Right now it's Rift I'm dabbling in, tomorrow... who knows?  Sounds like you're in a state of MMORPG flux, too, Ras.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #772 on: August 01, 2014, 10:56:55 AM

Flux is a good way to describe it.  I could always play SWTOR or Wildstar, but kind of felt like something at a slightly slower pace and newish.  I don't imagine this being a long term solution, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I made a female character.  Looks like she's pulled straight out of a FFXIII cut scene. The typical "this is how Squaresoft designs white people".

The visuals in the game are pretty impressive for how well it runs.  I am having an issue with combat pace, but I'll give it some time.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #773 on: August 01, 2014, 01:30:35 PM

That was a slow intro. 

Archer was the most mobile dps. I thought it was fun along with gladiator, marauder, and lancer. Didn't care for mages. But that was a long ass time ago. Is this game still a FATE chase for levels?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: August 01, 2014, 01:46:01 PM

No, there's plenty of good ways to level now besides FATEs after you've exhausted all the questing content on one or two classes. Dungeon XP got seriously buffed (to the point that until 2.2, FATEs weren't being run at all), huge bonus xp for doing a random dungeon once per day (25-50% if not more of a level even near cap), buffed XP for doing solo levequests, and the Challenge Log was added that gives you a few things to do each week that'll net you some good XP.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: August 01, 2014, 03:17:50 PM

I really enjoyed being a archer/Bard. It's easy mode. If you just want to zoom through the content being a nice ranged DPS with no responsibilities in a group that's the way to go.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #776 on: August 02, 2014, 04:28:32 PM

That was a slow intro. 

Archer was the most mobile dps. I thought it was fun along with gladiator, marauder, and lancer. Didn't care for mages. But that was a long ass time ago. Is this game still a FATE chase for levels?
[/quote

A lot more ways now to level, you can still do fates too but a lot less people do them now then before.  Challenge log, dungeons, hunting logs are best xp. 
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: August 02, 2014, 04:32:02 PM

Flux is a good way to describe it.  I could always play SWTOR or Wildstar, but kind of felt like something at a slightly slower pace and newish.  I don't imagine this being a long term solution, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I made a female character.  Looks like she's pulled straight out of a FFXIII cut scene. The typical "this is how Squaresoft designs white people".

The visuals in the game are pretty impressive for how well it runs.  I am having an issue with combat pace, but I'll give it some time.

Combat is less fun early, it does take time to get the skills which are level based.  Not a great way to do it but it gets better.  Some classes this is worse then others.  Tank classes are probably the worst, I didn't like monk either but I enjoyed Arc and Lancer
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: August 02, 2014, 09:06:44 PM

Do Conjurers still have a 1-button rotation for leveling until the 40s? [maybe mixing in a second button once per fight if you want to get frisky]

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #779 on: August 02, 2014, 09:45:55 PM

Conjurers/White Mages are the worst to level, at least while soloing. I made the brilliant decision to level it up as my first 50. Stone II basically replaces Stone I when you get it, the snare doesn't really matter when soloing. Aero II can be stacked with Aero I but you get it really late. Holy uses a ton of mana but does good AoE damage, but you get that even later, at 45 I think. There's that knockback at level 15 that gives you a bit of extra damage. On the plus side, because you can heal, you shouldn't die much if at all even if you get caught in a sticky situation.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #780 on: August 03, 2014, 01:23:34 AM

I am really having to work to get this trial running.  It is as if the universe does not want me to play FF14.

Download the launcher, but then I get a script error when it pops up, so I cannot accept the terms and continue.  Traced that back to a likely need to update to IE11.  Well, fuck Internet Explorer in its earhole.  Find out I am on version 8.  Sure, fine, no problem, just download to IE11.  Not like I am going to use it for anything else.  Okay, so I can't do that because I don't have SP1 installed for Windows 7.  Because fuck Windows Update in its earhole.  Fine, I'll go turn on WU and let it do it's thing, I can just force an update and turn it off later.  Nope!  WU does not want to turn on, because apparently I have spurned it for too long (I just installed Windows on my new rig like 3 days ago).  I cannot activate it nor force it to download stuffs.  Search for solutions.  Okay, can turn off WU in the services menu, then delete contents of a certain Windows folder that contains some WU stuff.  Restart in Services.  Go back into control panel...success!  I can now activate it.  Forcing a manual update.  First one is 400mb and appears to be uploading over a 14.4 modem on their end.  This is going to take a while, because isn't the SP1 update like a whole gig?  Fuck you, Windows Update.  This better fucking get rid of that script error.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: August 03, 2014, 03:24:31 AM

Haven't been able to play much because of computer issues, but this game is pretty good!  Not a big fan of Asian MMO's at all, but this game is an enjoyable experience.  It's got the standard MMO quests and the combat is the normal boring MMO style, but it's nice not to have to fight the game to play it.  I may actually buy a sub and maybe even a PS4, finally have a reason to do so. 
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: October 25, 2014, 04:32:05 PM

So last week was fan festival state side, this weekend its in London, here is some of what we know:

1)  Heavensward expansion confirmed for Spring 2015  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68CNzwinqlg
2)  Dark Knight to be new class      http://imgur.com/huDMEBw
3)  Ishgard
4)  Airships for Free Companies
5)  Single Rider Airships
6)  Flying Mounts / air travel http://imgur.com/a/frEwz    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGiMWX9or7E&feature=youtu.be
7)  New Race(not revealed yet, maybe this weekend)

Coming Tuesday this week will be a new job, Ninja(patch 2.4) + lots of other stuff  http://img.finalfantasyxiv.com/t/6378f50e359d5753715d3140fe0482c3e441d852_21.png
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:57 PM

I'm pretty hype for Rogue/Ninja.

In December's Tokyo Fanfest, they'll be revealing the expansion's healer job, which Yoshi-P teased by miming a double guns motion with his hands, so it's probably Chemist using guns.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: October 25, 2014, 08:51:50 PM

Hmm, that sounds awesome. Might be time to give this another go now that I'm done with AA.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: January 13, 2015, 10:17:12 AM

I have a few friends that started playing this and they are trying to coerce me into joining them.  They explained that the game felt like a cross between WoW and GW2.  Is that a fairly accurate statement?  Is this worth playing or should I just avoid it like the plague?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #786 on: January 13, 2015, 11:13:49 AM

Was fun for me till the game became about chasing events. That changed, but it was already too late for me to come back. Now that I have a PS4, I have been debating on whether or not to pick it up again.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

Reply #787 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:17 PM

I have a few friends that started playing this and they are trying to coerce me into joining them.  They explained that the game felt like a cross between WoW and GW2.  Is that a fairly accurate statement?

Uhh, no.  That's honestly a horrible description.

It starts off as "baby's first diku" and then gets progressively more complicated and involved, both in the breadth of what you can do and the demands on your mechanics.  I enjoyed it, and I'd still probably be enjoying if I kind of hadn't gotten to a point where I need to vastly improve my mechanics and grind out gear to get to the progressively harder and more demanding content.  Honestly, if I wasn't making my wife happy by saving money on not subbing, I'd still be subbed to finish the Hildebrand quest line and level some other classes.  There's still a lot to do even if you're not participating in the various end game activities.

It's a DIKU and a Square/FF game, so if you think you can handle that, you may find some enjoyment.  On a more tailored/personal level, Nebu, I don't think it's a game you'd like.  There's really no focus on PVP and the crowd I was with wasn't into it at all.  The end game is mostly harder 4 and 8 man group content and grinding out other class combinations.  

That being said, they get dungeon and group progression of content more right than anyone I've ever seen.  The class design works really well together and the dungeons/encounters are paced perfectly.  Nothing takes longer than an hour except the raids and that's more of an organizational issue; they can take less than an hour easily.  

Negatives would be that a lot of stuff is gated by the main story quest, and some parts of that quest are fucking dreadful.  Endless fetch quests and running back and forth.  You pretty much have to power through it at some point because various features are locked firmly behind it and not having them will affect your enjoyment.  Of course, it is an actual story and by the end you do feel like you've beaten a game.  Only other MMO that managed that for me is TSW.

If you have a solid community or some friends playing it can be an enjoyable experience.  

-Rasix
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:11 PM

It's one of the better MMOs out right now.  I can't say whether you'll enjoy it or not, but it is well done.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: January 13, 2015, 01:16:17 PM

Thanks for the input.  To be honest, I'd be playing the game with 3 friends that I enjoy grinding content with.  We used to play Rift and SWTOR together and really enjoyed the hardmode endgame dungeons a lot. 

I may give it a try for a month. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #790 on: January 13, 2015, 01:24:50 PM

I really loved a lot of things about this but the combat murdered it for me. I love fast action packed things an also turned based things. This one was sitting in a very uncomfortable between: so slow I could fall asleep but not slow enough to let me go in the kitchen to grab a sandwich whenever I felt like it. Also, the running back and forth for quests, even within the same city, is the worst I've ever experienced in a long time or maybe ever.

Everything else was top notch and I am really sad I couldn't stomach it for longer than two weeks.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #791 on: January 13, 2015, 01:31:30 PM

Dungeons aren't slow if you are tank or healer.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: January 13, 2015, 04:52:21 PM

Patch 2.5 trailer, looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3hGDaDZqI
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:31 PM

Patch 2.5 trailer, looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj3hGDaDZqI

FFS, 10 minutes is not a trailer, that is a short.  why so serious?

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #794 on: January 14, 2015, 03:31:54 AM

I'm excited for the inevitable 30 minute Prime Time Special for the expansion in May or so.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: January 14, 2015, 09:02:09 AM

If you have a regular group of four it's perfect.  Story stuff won't be blocked by dungeons, nor will you have to suffer morons.  They're actually quite fun with regulars.  (Said as someone who tends to hate dungeons.)

A Lancer played correctly is also very active.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: January 14, 2015, 09:56:07 AM

A Lancer played correctly is also very active.

And playing a fairy scholar is about as boring as can be till endgame.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #797 on: January 16, 2015, 08:56:03 PM

Scholar was boring, but dps'ing while queuing as a healer because your pet was strong enough to handle all of the healing wasn't so bad. Or, you know, just being really fucking lazy and reading/doing other things while just making sure to follow the group close enough for the pet to heal worked too. why so serious?

Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: January 17, 2015, 07:52:04 AM

Scholar was boring, but dps'ing while queuing as a healer because your pet was strong enough to handle all of the healing wasn't so bad. Or, you know, just being really fucking lazy and reading/doing other things while just making sure to follow the group close enough for the pet to heal worked too. why so serious?

Fully agree. Healing fairy in a group became essentially a 4 man dps group with a secondary NPC healer. It was fun at times, but got boring quick. I miss this game sometimes, but I am not going to pay for PSN and turn around and pay a sub as well. They knock off the sub and I am back in a heartbeat, which will never happen.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: January 20, 2015, 08:04:01 AM

Resubbed recently for the new patch 2.5. Once again I'm reminded of how much I love the music in this game. It's something you actually notice, whereas in WoW or SWToR the music ranges from 'pleasant ambiance' to 'nonexistent.' How awesome would a WoW raid boss be if it had the Garuda or Titan theme blasting in the background? Or being able to do a dungeon with Lost City of Amdapor music? It just seems like a shame to me that other MMOs either aren't putting effort into it or just think that the music should be background noise.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: January 20, 2015, 08:35:18 AM

Been playing for the last 2 weeks or so and noticed a few things:

- Tool tips are utter crap. Spell descriptions are vague at best.
- TOO MANY FUCKING CUTSCENES
- Confusing maps
- WTF are guildleves etc?  Why should I care?
- Fates seem like rifts (a la Rift) or events (GW2) and seem little more than uninspired xp grinds.

This game is like a feminized WoW.  The world is beautiful but the characters and animations make me want to stab myself in the face.

Not sure I'll last past the first month unless the dungeons are fun. 

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

Reply #801 on: January 20, 2015, 10:08:53 AM

Been playing for the last 2 weeks or so and noticed a few things:

- Tool tips are utter crap. Spell descriptions are vague at best.
- TOO MANY FUCKING CUTSCENES
- Confusing maps
- WTF are guildleves etc?  Why should I care?
- Fates seem like rifts (a la Rift) or events (GW2) and seem little more than uninspired xp grinds.

This game is like a feminized WoW.  The world is beautiful but the characters and animations make me want to stab myself in the face.

Not sure I'll last past the first month unless the dungeons are fun. 

FF game... of course there are cut scenes.  why so serious?
Tool tips suck in most games - though I will say the ones in this game have always been complete shit.
Guildleves are side quests IIRC. mainly for extra XP and gear...again, IIRC.
FATEs are exactly that. They used to be the fastest way to burn to level cap and everyone in the zone used to collect at the central town and depart from there when a FATE popped up. It was kinda fascinating to watch the entire zone population riding out at once to curb stomp a FATE - but it got ridiculously grindy.

I always thought the dungeons were fun as a tank and a healer (albeit boring since I was a fairy scholar). Some were just frustrating as shit (the one where bee spawns would 1 shot you with final sting if you didn't have everyone burn them down immediately... can't recall the name of the dungeon) and others were a speed run.

Rasix

Reply #802 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:49 AM

Pretty sure you can skip any cutscene.  But yah, it's a Final Fantasy game.  /dealwithit

Hey, if you like the instances, you can level primarily through them.  You don't have to worry about FATES or non-class/story quests at all.  Dungeons start off fairly easy, and won't get any bit difficult until 30+.  You should also do the guildhests that pop up every 5 levels.  They're basically free XP and money. 

BTW, do your class quests every five levels.  They end up giving you important skills.  Plus at 30 you're going to end up wanting to get your job specialization.

-Rasix
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: January 21, 2015, 12:51:40 AM

Guildleves are what dps do while waiting in the dungeon finder queue for 20 mins.Give nps a token, then pick a short quest, kill ten type quests, you get 6 tokens a day, accumulates up to 99. Also used to level up tradeskills, find the one with the highest xp and then do a high quality turn in for double xp.

Keep up with main quest, gates alot of functionality like mounts, etc.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #804 on: January 22, 2015, 02:14:22 PM

I just thought you should all know that for a brief moment I saw the title of this thread as "F14: A Realm Reborn," and wondered why the site was getting a sequel.

That is all. Carry on.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: