Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  (Read 77537 times)
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: June 20, 2015, 11:31:38 PM

So, let me get this straight. Instead of doing the normal MMO thing and allowing people in the expansion zones right away (as long as you're max level or close) with a possible 'fast track' through vanilla content to get everyone caught up and playing the expansion, you actually have to go through the entire story (including the fetch-quest heavy stuff they added in patches as well as a whole lot of dungeons) and progress your gear using the same old currencies until you're finally past the attunement / gating?

All that can easily take a month of play, or more. How are the "I left this game x years ago with a non-endgame character and bought the expansion to see its content" people reacting? Does this also apply to the new classes?!

edit: It seems there's a gear catch-up mechanism at least.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:48:17 PM by Zetor »

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: June 21, 2015, 06:17:38 PM

You cannot unlock the new classes without access to the city in the expansion, so you cannot even play those until you progress through the old story.

Also the new classes begin at level 30.

Also the main story quests you get starting at level 50 now give higher-end gear, which means you'll reach the gear item level without having to run a bunch of random dungeons to get geared.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 06:53:37 PM by koro »
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #842 on: June 21, 2015, 07:27:56 PM

It's Square. What else would you expect? They are still on a monthly sub and have to milk that for what it's worth. It's a Japanese grinder, plain and simple.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #843 on: June 22, 2015, 02:35:02 PM

It's Square. What else would you expect? They are still on a monthly sub and have to milk that for what it's worth. It's a Japanese grinder, plain and simple.

This is true but it is fun for a while.  I played for a few months and liked it until it made me cranky and tired.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #844 on: June 22, 2015, 04:09:02 PM

This is true but it is fun for a while.  I played for a few months and liked it until it made me cranky and tired.

Exactly the same reaction. 50 Scholar and I just got frustrated with stuff. Nothing specific though. Loved the setting and the feel and the look of the game. Even played well, but it was a shell of FFXI.

"I want to watch it all burn in an orgy of smashed Coke machines and weasel rape." - HaemishM
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #845 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:01 PM

Downloading the Free Trial; never played a FF game (including FFXI), don't know anything about the setting. This will be interesting  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #846 on: July 04, 2015, 12:26:13 AM

Every single goddamn voice is now British.  Yugiri's is some sort of weird whatever, but everyone sounds like they've been ripped from a theatrical production of Harry Potter.  It's grating.

New content is nice, but this is just strange.  I have no idea why they would do this.  Well other than, "this was cheaper".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:30:42 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: July 04, 2015, 12:41:17 AM

So that means that every single character is now a bad guy?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: July 04, 2015, 10:21:26 AM

Every single goddamn voice is now British.  Yugiri's is some sort of weird whatever, but everyone sounds like they've been ripped from a theatrical production of Harry Potter.  It's grating.

New content is nice, but this is just strange.  I have no idea why they would do this.  Well other than, "this was cheaper".
It's like Borderlands: The Pre-sequel where everyone's Australian because reasons. swamp poop

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: July 04, 2015, 03:31:07 PM

I imagine it was less cost-related and more related to scheduling with the ARR voice actors. From what I understand, most everything pre-Heavensward was recorded back when 2.0 was still in development, and it wasn't until the expac was in development did new stuff need to be recorded.

Some of the VAs are still the same, and a couple are still the same, but with different voice direction.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #850 on: July 04, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

I'm trying to play this with friends and while it's pretty okay in dungeons the leveling experience is fucking dreadful.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #851 on: July 04, 2015, 10:56:12 PM

Once you hit 14/15, you should probably just level through dungeons and do the story quest line just for the unlocks.  Relatively few unlocks are outside of it. 

There's some rough patches in the story, I won't lie.  You're part God slayer, part errand runner.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: July 06, 2015, 04:22:39 PM

Square Enix is suspending sales of the Mac version and offering refunds to those who want them.  Apparently a lot of hipsters were having problems running it on their 8 year old Macs or couldn't get it going at all. Facepalm

Seriously, unless you want to just keep playing Bejeweled, Farmville, Angry Birds or some random indie 16 bit platformer, get a PC FFS.  PC Master Race 4Life. Rock Out

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/244811-NA-The-state-of-the-FFXIV-Mac-version-and-our-plans-for-the-future?p=3101723#post3101723

I'll pre order you SWTOR if you let me put my lightsaber in your sarlaac cave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb3cxA4g_U&feature=related
Shame Is a component of the Discount - k3b2h3g46c0a
Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things. - Schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #853 on: October 20, 2017, 02:26:41 PM

Necro!

First of all, this game has something like 10 million active subscriptions, trying as much as possible to prove that very traditional MMORPGs (tab targeting, slow global cooldown, not free to play) are far from being dead.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-14-crosses-10-million-players/1100-6452413/

But the latest news is about a recent expansion which added instanced housing that still comes in limited supplies (!), and since we have been talking to Raph an UO lately I can't help but feel that it's 1997 land rush all over again! I'm loving it!

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/19/youre-960th-in-queue-final-fantasy-14s-shirogane-housing-is-a-disaster/

As I set out to grab my own plot in the new Shirogane district, those queues made for one of the reasons I was unable to meet the mad rush into the server. When you know there’s only 720 plots available and your game launches with “you’re 960th in queue,” it’s over.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: October 20, 2017, 02:57:06 PM

I could care less about player housing. It's nothing but total fluff to me.

But congrats to them on outpacing WoW. It's well deserved, and one of the only mulligans in MMOs to actually be successful. I should come back for 4.1, since I gave up on Destiny 2 for now.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #855 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:45 PM

Well, I could agree with you but the reality is that MMORPGs are ALL about the fluff. There is not a single thing that isn't fluff in MMORPGs.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: October 20, 2017, 03:10:53 PM

I suppose. I can understand limiting guild housing for the semi-serious to serious guilds that are involved with the game, as that makes them special and adds a return for their involvement in the game. I don't understand the limitation on apartment housing for individual players. Didn't everyone just get a free customizable apartment in FF XI? Aside from having to actually save and store the data, what the difference between the four-walled instanced area I get put in when I (if ever) check into a town inn and going to a four-walled instanced apartment?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: October 20, 2017, 09:32:00 PM

I could care less about player housing. It's nothing but total fluff to me.

But congrats to them on outpacing WoW. It's well deserved, and one of the only mulligans in MMOs to actually be successful. I should come back for 4.1, since I gave up on Destiny 2 for now.
I don't think they've passed WoW; the 10 million figure is total accounts, of which WoW has over 100m.

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: October 21, 2017, 01:20:59 AM

I suppose. I can understand limiting guild housing for the semi-serious to serious guilds that are involved with the game, as that makes them special and adds a return for their involvement in the game. I don't understand the limitation on apartment housing for individual players. Didn't everyone just get a free customizable apartment in FF XI? Aside from having to actually save and store the data, what the difference between the four-walled instanced area I get put in when I (if ever) check into a town inn and going to a four-walled instanced apartment?

Everyone can buy an instanced apartment nowadays, those are not limited. It's the (land) plots where you can build an actual house that are limited.

for example (my house on a land plot):
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: October 21, 2017, 05:28:49 PM

Instanced apartments are absolutely limited in number. It's a much higher number, but they're still very limited and on pretty much any decently populated server, every apartment is spoken for.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: October 22, 2017, 12:01:25 AM

Instanced apartments are absolutely limited in number. It's a much higher number, but they're still very limited and on pretty much any decently populated server, every apartment is spoken for.

My bad. I must have mixed them with the instanced housing in the FC mansions. It also seems that at least Hyperion (which is not the most populated server) has lots of room in the apartments at Shirogane.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: FF14: A Realm Reborn  
Jump to: