Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 605774 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2275 on: September 11, 2019, 07:28:16 AM

Kate Bishop may be played by Hailee Steinfeld in Hawkeye series

So there will definitely be Kate Bishop in the Hawkeye TV series on Disney+ and it may be played by the girl from Bumblebee. I'm cool with this.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2276 on: September 11, 2019, 10:46:23 AM

She'll always be the girl from True Grit to me.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2277 on: September 27, 2019, 08:39:28 AM

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2278 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:31 AM

Thank God for that. I enjoyed the Captain Marvel movie but I admit she's not super likeable. She'd be a good straight man for Spidey.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2279 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:42 AM

I'm not privy to any inside info but one has to believe the deal was way too profitable for both studios to not be continued.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #2280 on: September 27, 2019, 11:40:04 AM

It could also have been completely concocted for free publicity.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2281 on: September 28, 2019, 05:56:24 AM

Not such that as it was a just a theatrical tough-guy negotiating tactic. They were always going to settle it, they just had to play a little public game of chicken first. (I particularly liked Sony re-starting the whole "we're going to make a movie with Aunt May and a movie about Madame Web and a movie about Frog Man and everything guys, hundreds of Spider-Man universe movies" schtick).
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2282 on: September 30, 2019, 05:49:23 PM

Not directly related, but Marvel is teaming up with Games Workshop to make some comics.

Random prediction- Disney uses the experience to decide if they are going to buy GW. I'm sure they have the money. They then make movies and eventually convert the failing Star Wars theme park into Warhammer 40K World.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2283 on: October 01, 2019, 11:07:10 AM

I could see some Warhammer characters walking around Disneyland, sure.

It's the happiest place on Earth!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #2284 on: October 01, 2019, 07:05:36 PM

Can't wait to see Slaaneshland...
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2285 on: October 01, 2019, 11:45:12 PM

Not directly related, but Marvel is teaming up with Games Workshop to make some comics.

Random prediction- Disney uses the experience to decide if they are going to buy GW. I'm sure they have the money. They then make movies and eventually convert the failing Star Wars theme park into Warhammer 40K World.
I cannot imagine a more mismatched set of IP's than that of Disney and GW.  I imagine this will remain strictly a Marvel/GW comic collaboration thing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2286 on: October 02, 2019, 01:31:06 AM

I'm sure Nurgle decay would be a really happy fit at the latest Disney parade too.  why so serious?

Someone at Disney might have confused WH and Warcraft and thinks they might be getting that license. Once they figure it out they could say "fuck it," chop off all the Chaos crap and just have it as Greenskins, Dwarves, puny 'umans and Elves bashing at one another. Hell they could even have the Lizardmen marching to the beat of Frogs, and with the Walking Dead they could get away with The Undead too. Sure, some people would bitch but no-one would really care.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:30:30 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2287 on: October 02, 2019, 02:42:08 AM

The end of 40K ends with the end of Chaos. The 'Nids are still around as (can be made into) cute bugs, the Necron's are just robots, the Dark Elder get lost in the warp (and we just have space elves now) and the "corporate" culture of the Imperialiam is shown of as being a good and just thing with various Space Marine Primarachs fighting togehter and the old Chaos ex-Deamon Princes Primarchs run around with plots Cobra Commander would be proud of. Magnus gets a song about being a nerd and no one liking him.  There, Disney can now buy GW.

The Nostalgia chick just did a video on how Disney is all "woke". You can criticise, but not generalise. If there is money to be made, they can and will reform the 40K universe.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2288 on: October 02, 2019, 07:43:34 AM

If there is money to be made, they can and will reform the 40K universe.

That's kind of the point, though. 40k, GW and Warhammer are all small fry compared to Disney money. The money to be made from a GW purchase won't even pay one of the main actors in an MCU film. Best case scenario is Disney does an animated 40k movie or something but full acquisition? I don't see how they could ever justify it. Of course, they could literally buy GW for money from their couch cushions so, who the fuck knows?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2289 on: October 02, 2019, 08:26:38 AM

The end of 40K ends with the end of Chaos. The 'Nids are still around as (can be made into) cute bugs, the Necron's are just robots, the Dark Elder get lost in the warp (and we just have space elves now) and the "corporate" culture of the Imperialiam is shown of as being a good and just thing with various Space Marine Primarachs fighting togehter and the old Chaos ex-Deamon Princes Primarchs run around with plots Cobra Commander would be proud of. Magnus gets a song about being a nerd and no one liking him.  There, Disney can now buy GW.

The Nostalgia chick just did a video on how Disney is all "woke". You can criticise, but not generalise. If there is money to be made, they can and will reform the 40K universe.
Here's the problem.  That is a ton of effort to buy an IP and turn it into something completely different.  Why even bother?  WH40K and Fantasy alllllllll revolve around grimdark.  Every single aspect of every faction in all their worlds is a twisted grimdark version of usual tropes involving mass torture, death, and genocide.  You'd literally have to gut 80% of the content/story of all their works to reshape it to something Disney would touch as the specific target of an acquisition.  If they want generic fantasy it would be simpler for them to buy Blizzard.  BAM, all your generic Orcs, Elves, and Dwarfs you want with a vastly more famous IP.  Or buy the shambling remains of Bioware to get the Mass Effect IP if they want a more mass audience friendly and famous space IP.

There are just so many paths of least resistance to gaining more appropriate yet similar IP to what GW has.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2290 on: October 02, 2019, 09:14:46 AM

GW might be getting a little attention because after decades of being pretty stagnant they have been actually growing market share and improving their stock profile because they've been shaking up changing the status quo of the lore and game itself. I can see that attracting attention and perhaps even getting some ambitious executives exploring collaboration, etc. but I cannot see GW being either a big enough market or the IP being in line with Disney to work synergistically.

I guess I could see it as an acquisition along purely, 'they're growing quickly right now, in 10 years if these trends continue GW will be the size of Marvel so let's buy it immediately! Step 3 profit.' but I don't think Disney as a corporate body is dumb enough to work this way.

Also the lonely nerd song would be Perturabo as he canonically plays miniatures wargames with his sons and moans about no one respecting him. He is a couple of lines away from blaming being single on there being too many Sisters of Battle featured in Imperial propaganda.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2291 on: October 02, 2019, 05:32:49 PM

OTOH, Disney might just be developing a more adult set of offerings for Hulu, etc... under an adjusted label. These would be things to pair with the more violent Marvel stories.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2292 on: October 02, 2019, 06:11:50 PM

Marvel is publishing multiple Conan comics a month and have him in an Avengers series. That doesn't mean that Disney is going to buy the REH estate. I could see some people on the comics publishing side of Marvel being into GW stuff enough to make a deal to do some comics, but I'd be surprised if anyone in a position of power at Disney has even heard of GW.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #2293 on: October 03, 2019, 02:23:26 AM

You'd literally have to gut 80% of the content/story of all their works to reshape it to something Disney would touch as the specific target of an acquisition. 

Well they do that NOW with all their fairy tale movies. Hell EA has a built a corporate empire by doing that.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2294 on: October 03, 2019, 03:08:30 AM

In the original little Mermaid story, the Prince marries someone else, the Witch tells Ariel she has to kill him or die, Ariel tries and cant do it and Ariel kills herself. Twu wuv.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:45:10 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2295 on: October 03, 2019, 04:36:51 PM

I don't think GW and Disney are an unthinkably bad fit.

Disney is all about rent seeking from IP.

Yes, they'd need to think about brand separation, but that isn't something new for them.

Reminder, Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2296 on: October 03, 2019, 04:52:53 PM

Pulp Fiction is a kid's cartoon compared to 40k.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2297 on: October 03, 2019, 10:04:37 PM

I could see some Warhammer characters walking around Disneyland, sure.

It's the happiest place on Earth!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Overpriced salsa for the Khornechips!

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2298 on: October 15, 2019, 01:17:03 PM

Feige has been named Chief Creative Officer of Marvel

Among other things this now puts him in control of Marvel TV (which recently announced the cast of the supposedly upcoming Hulu series Helstrom). No mention has been made of Jeph Loeb in any of the articles I could find so it's not clear whether he'll be reporting to Feige or if he'll just be gone entirely.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2299 on: October 15, 2019, 02:21:32 PM

He'll report to Feige assuming he stays:

https://twitter.com/JimViscardi/status/1184203170207223808
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2300 on: October 15, 2019, 04:26:19 PM

It's more evidence that they've finally kicked Perlmutter into a little corner where he can just quietly masturbate and not bother anyone.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2301 on: October 15, 2019, 06:55:01 PM

So what you're saying is they put him in a Weinstein?  why so serious?

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2302 on: April 15, 2020, 05:49:01 AM

My prediction for the next few years - posted out of boredom - just pulling together the information out there:

* Kang is the next Big Bad.  He has been living in the Quantum Realm, which will serve as his Limbo for the MCU, and will have a deep tie to mutants.  He'll be the foe for the next big Avengers culmination.  You can apparently see a city in a flash freeze frame in Ant-man 2 as Hank and Janet take off in the Quantum Realm, much as we saw Janet in a single frame.  That is his city.  I believe that Janet Van Dyne is under his control and will be keeping his presence secret.  She was sent back to help stop Thanos - perhaps being the one to put the "rat" in place to bring Lang back at the right time.

* Kang will have gone back to the time of the first mutant, Apocalypse, and been capturing mutants as they appear throughout the timeline soon after they emerge and keeping them in his 'out of time' city to form his army.  This is how we'll get a WW2 era Magneto origin in the modern world.  The Fantastic Four will also be amongst the beings he has captured in the "City of Limbo".  When he is beaten, the mutants will be "returned" to the MCU.  A few mutants here and there will have escaped his notice - including Wolverine, who we'll discover was walking around for a long time.  Him using mutants as an army to invade the world will also explain the mass hatred and fear of mutants upon their freedom.  However, that will be at the end of phase 5 - with mutants and the Fantastic Four coming in during phase as the bad guys (FF versions will be the Maker, Malice, etc... when first introduced.) Kang is a lock given all the things they're leading up to (Young Avengers, Time Travel, Time Variance Authority, etc...) The first glimpse of his coming will be in Eternals, likely in the post credits clip.

* The other big bad we'll see soon is the High Evolutionary.  He is the one that made Rocket - and will be a main foe in GotG 3 - the father figure for the third Guardians movie.  He will be someone that came from Earth.  I think he may also play into the Scarlet Witch / Vision story and the Multiverse of Madness.  In the 616, he plays a role in the Scarlet Witch having magic infused into her mutant powers in a convoluted way involving Cython. 

* I think that will be the big reveal at the end of the Wanda/Vision series - that Scarlet Witch has true magic and that it is demonic in nature.  She'll be directed to Dr. Strange via Agatha Harkness (who has been watching Scarlet Witch at Dr. Strange's request since Endgame). 

* The next big cross-over film will be Captain Marvel 2 - which will be Secret Invasion.

Likely a lot wrong there, but my best bored compilation of ideas.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2303 on: April 15, 2020, 06:14:31 AM

I don't think they are going to want to mess more with time travel for now. And Kang just kind of sucks as a character anyway.

Feige has said that they're committed to doing Fantastic Four as soon as possible, so I would think Doom might be the Big Bad for the next cycle of films.

I think The Eternals is likely to give us a good vision of the road ahead--I just can't help but think they're using that property as a way to kick off the next phase of stories and character introductions. In particular the link to the Celestials might give us the other possible Big Bad of the next cycle, which is Galactus.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2304 on: April 15, 2020, 07:13:15 AM

Remember that Kang has ties to the Fantastic Four, the Young Avengers, the Avengers and mutants (Apocalypse was his lieutenant in the distant past).

I think Galactus is coming, but not for Avengers 5.  He may be the following big bad, but too many arrows point to Kang.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2305 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:59 AM

Kang technically has ties to everything but that's because he's a fucked-up character who makes no sense. The closest he's gotten to being coherent was Busiek's big Kang-destroys-Washington DC arc but even that story showed awareness of how incoherent the character really is--when his son shows up at the end to rescue him, the son is like "well we have infinite military resources in effect, we can just keep attacking from the future" and it's only a quirk of Kang's psychology that prevents him from doing that. His psychology in that story, that is--sometimes he's an honorable conqueror, sometimes he's a pipsquirk dirtbag, sometimes he's treacherous, and then they just handwave that off as "that was one of his duplicates from a parallel timeline". He's really kind of a narrative cancer in Marvel's continuity. If they really want to play with him, they'd better rethink him in a major way.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #2306 on: April 15, 2020, 02:30:35 PM

... If they really want to play with him, they'd better rethink him in a major way.
Everything they do in the MCU trims 95% of the fat away.  They don't have time to give us the full characters... and yes, they'll have to navigate their time travel rules now in a meaningful way to avoid things that modern audiences are not likely to ignore. 

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2307 on: April 15, 2020, 06:48:55 PM

It's not a lack of time. In this case (and others) they should *improve* the shitty, lossy, contradictory characters that most MU characters inevitably become over decades of serial storytelling. If you gave me all the time in the world and an unlimited budget, I would never want to recreate Kang as a character faithfully to the comics because he is a patchwork garbage character with no real personality. Compare him to Doom: there's bad Doom stories and some things worth forgetting, but he's basically pretty consistent and generally compelling. Magneto once Claremont reworked him has been consistent and compelling. Hell, Norman Osborn has been fairly consistent and compelling over time, Gwen Stacy-fucking notwithstanding. But Kang is slurry at the bottom of the narrative pool, he's the Marmite of supervillainy. Moving to him next will take all of Feige's considerable skills and a gifted director-writer team who can see a consistent idea in there somewhere.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2308 on: April 15, 2020, 09:08:00 PM

I honestly don't think they're laying the groundwork for another Infinity War level threat in any of the upcoming movies . They're in an odd place right now. Hemsworth is probably winding down on his time as Thor and I'd expect most of the GotG to be done after the next movie. Wouldn't surprise me if Rudd is done after Ant Man 3 also and if Ruffalo is done after whatever they squeeze the Hulk into next. I'm not even sure Boseman, Brie, Cumberbatch, or Holland will still be around by the time the next big story arc like that would come together.

They're also launching franchises like The Eternals, Shang-Chi, and Blade that traditionally have not connected much to the larger MCU and the Avengers (yes, I know Blade is currently an Avenger, and no, so far there's nothing in that run that should be mined for a movie). They're still in the process of launching their Disney+ MCU show. And then they have two incredibly hard nuts to crack in regards to getting the Fantastic Four right for once and deciding what they're going to do with the X-men. Thanks to the COVID related delays that might take them out to 2023-2024.

Finally without RDJ and Evans anchoring the thing any attempt at doing another IW is just going to feel like pale imitation. As great as I think Feige is and as much credit as I give him, I think there was a lot of luck/serendipity in those first 10 years of the MCU especially in the casting. Don't get me wrong, I'm there for anything they do next but as effortless as they've made a lot of this look I don't think it's as simple as Feige saying "ok, now lets draw up our 10 year plan for the next big crossover".
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2309 on: April 15, 2020, 09:57:49 PM

It was 15 years, and I agree we won't see that again. I think it was a once in a generation (or ever) ability to string that much talent, coordination and planning into an integrated arc that won't/can't be replicated. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: