Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18  (Read 117035 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #140 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:14 PM

Fractals are pretty fun. But for a kick in your nuts:

They don't count for dungeon completion for the monthly, and instead a new Fractals Completed is on the montly list <3

ಠ_ಠ

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:33 PM

Managed to hit LA at 3pm ET. Man that was nuts. Felt like day after launch SWG. Finally about 40 minutes in (and once I moved way west of the main group) it was playable.

What happened after ward? Had to log right as the lighthouse blew up. Came back later and picked up the Consortium series (just talked to Blingg need to find someone named Noll). REALLY wish NPC quest window dialog would appear in the chat window.

That I think was just one option. The other was go to the Fractals or purchase and make donations to that lady by Mystic Forge?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #142 on: November 16, 2012, 03:10:33 PM

I think I'm broken for playing mmo. Log in, go to LA, talk to some NPCs. They send me to the shore, some stuff on the shore. It's all busted, there are some crowbars, so I grab one. See a sealed container, can't interact with or hit it. Run around for ten minutes trying to find another sealed one, place is mobbed with people.

Enough of that. I play games to play games, not to try to dick around for twenty minutes doing nothing. Boring. Back to xcom.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: November 16, 2012, 04:11:34 PM

Yea this wasn't handled very well in my opinion. Too much public space stuff happening at the exact same time for everyone. There aren't enough overflow servers in the world to handle that kind of thing. The next one of these I'm sure won't be like this, probably multiple times or more instanced content, or both.

What you're seeking requires clicking crates in a series I think. You click all the ones along the shore and they'll progress the one that tells you to get a crowbar. You don't actually swing the crowbar at that container though, you just interact with the container. That's kind of a shame.

After that you're back to the main plaza guy who then sends you to Blingg who then sends you to Noll who I have no idea where he is and will need to look it up before I log back into the game.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 16, 2012, 04:11:53 PM

How do i get to the new zone anyways?

I am the .00000001428%
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:16 PM

You don't until tomorrow.  The fractal dungeons are open today though, down by fort mariner in lion's arch.
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 16, 2012, 06:34:02 PM

Fractals are pretty fun. But for a kick in your nuts:

They don't count for dungeon completion for the monthly, and instead a new Fractals Completed is on the montly list <3
Tough as nails, but fun.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: November 16, 2012, 07:26:24 PM

I did the main event at 3, it was pretty fun.  No real surprises though. Fewer players than I expected to defend against the invasion.  Took just under an hour.  Later I went to the beach scavenger hunt but my PC shit the bed twice so I gave up for now.  Reserving judgement on this event, want to see the new zone and some rewards.  Can't do the fractal dungeon, I'd hate to screw my group over by my PC shutting down. 

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 16, 2012, 08:35:06 PM

It appears to be 80% waiting, 10% bugs and 10% I slept through.

WoW did it better. Simpler events, longer between phase transitions and total duration so everyone can participate / they can debug it and more obvious sign-posting.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #149 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:41 PM

Terrible event. I'm taking a long break from the game. 3 months in is a pretty good time spent with no subs.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:26 PM

Missed the event, but the dungeon is incredibly fun.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 16, 2012, 10:27:27 PM

Scavenger hunt seems to be perma borked at the final stage.  Also the little mini invasions suck, generally the monsters are killed before they even get rendered on screen.  On my PC it just looked like groups of people attacking an empty spot but when I joined in I managed to do enough damage to get gold contribution without really ever seeing a live monster.   The main invasion was better aside from the huge lag between hitting an attack and having it take effect at least the monsters were visible.  Overall I'd give them a B for what they seem to be trying to accomplish and an F- for execution.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:30 AM

They've posted an update on phase 1...

No mention of the insane lag though  Ohhhhh, I see.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 17, 2012, 09:17:03 AM

What a mess.

I just gave up on all the Lost Shores content and went back to exploring and working on my world 100%. Maybe today I'll give the Fractals a try, but overall this has been a real mess.

Ascended gear, lag and completely bugged quests that need to be completed by a certain time? So disappointed.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:41 AM

The fractal dungeons are freaking awesome. Way better than the dungeons I've done before, imo.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: November 17, 2012, 10:44:01 AM

The only shitty fractal is the Swamp, imo. The rest are a really fun re-imagination of what GW2 dungeons should be like. No death zerging (and also no bullshit kill mechanics), and the bosses tend to be a mechanic you need to figure out and use instead of just damage sponges (jellyfish boss being the boring damage sponge exception)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #156 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:46 PM

So event #2 that's basically fun for groups?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: November 17, 2012, 03:49:04 PM

I thought it was fairly unintuitive, and lacking in cutscenes.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: November 17, 2012, 08:46:06 PM

I think instead of hiring economists game companies need to hire psychologists to tell them how humans will react to their designs. Maybe someone could have told them that making a progressive dungeon like this was going to stratify guilds as some groups raced ahead then refused to do lower instances with their other guildmates. WTG. I saw it even yesterday after getting to L2 the people in my group were adament about not doing another L1 to help more guildies catch up. Selfishness encouraged by game design.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:31 PM

It's much simpler than that: their testing process isn't up to the task. We got a pretty tight game at launch because had months of non-employees telling the fulltime development team what they needed to hear.

Now though the first they hear anything is after it's live. And since they're no longer in for-launch development mode, their live team (both QA and dev) are likely much smaller.

They need a public test server. I'm curious why they don't have it. I hope they don't think it prevents info from leaking ahead of time. That's been long since proven a fools errand.

They also need to stop launching events on weekends. I know why they do it (weekend play is peak play). But learn from the dozens of other companies who learned over the last 12 years. You don't patch on weekends unless you "work week" is Wednesday to Monday.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: November 18, 2012, 03:20:13 AM

They need a public test server. I'm curious why they don't have it. I hope they don't think it prevents info from leaking ahead of time. That's been long since proven a fools errand.

While it may be a fool's errand, I still prefer not having a full-scale public test server since I have negative personal experiences how they affect the game ie. "new raid content, first try; everyone look at this youtube video and do exactly what it says".

That said let me repeat it's my personal opinion (based on how I feel) and in the case of gw2 I wouldn't really care since I pretty much only wvw  why so serious?
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: November 18, 2012, 04:16:19 AM

So coming back from a long break, my lvl 40 character is prompted to go to this island. The whole place is almost deserted and no events or quests anywhere. My character is boosted to 80 but the mobs are still crazy hard. She dies, there's some passers by but none of them seem to bother resurrecting fallen players anymore. Finally there's an event, go get golem parts. You have to dodge some worms it seems. Oh hey, they one shot you. Log out, fire up Dark Souls.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: November 18, 2012, 04:46:41 AM

I'm a new 80, so not terribly well geared, and the mobs were kicking my ass. I really don't know what they are thinking with it. There's all sorts of problems that should have been really obvious on the drawing board.

The first being that it's a new level 80 zone, so just allow it to be a level 80 zone and lay off trying to make it an "event".

- Simond
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 18, 2012, 05:59:36 AM

I think they want it to be a 'post-80 endgame zone', and yea, the mobs are quite a bit harder than orr or frostgorge - I also saw plenty of level 82 and 84 [!] mobs, which obviously hit pretty hard. Only advice I have is to have some kind of projectile reflect skill, since the kraken mobs use a high-damage volley as their first attack. If you reflect that, it usually takes off 60% of their hp right there.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 18, 2012, 06:08:57 AM

I was more meaning that level boosting low level character so they can visit a post-80 zone is destined to end badly.

- Simond
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 18, 2012, 06:29:20 AM

I think the boost is so everyone can participate in the weekend's events or go with groups.  It's not practical for lower levels to solo there.  Long-time 80s have to be careful when alone.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 18, 2012, 08:04:50 AM

Assuming they are running this like GW1, then they have a *heavily* NDA'd closed testing group still going on, where they push content live and the people that are in the beta program are allowed to try it (they also schedule testing events pretty heavily).  I believe when I was in the GW1 one way after live I wasn't even allowed to say that I was even *in* the test program.

So they do have a core group of players testing the new content, that I'm sure.  Whether it's the *right* group of players, that's debatable.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:42 AM

The fractals are fun but the rewards seem a bit low.  Other than the exotic back items, which actually seem to have lower stats than my current green one and no upgrade slot there didn't seem to be much point to them.  Is there a chance to get ascended items from them?

I am the .00000001428%
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:06 AM

Assuming they are running this like GW1, then they have a *heavily* NDA'd closed testing group still going on, where they push content live and the people that are in the beta program are allowed to try it (they also schedule testing events pretty heavily).  I believe when I was in the GW1 one way after live I wasn't even allowed to say that I was even *in* the test program.

So they do have a core group of players testing the new content, that I'm sure.  Whether it's the *right* group of players, that's debatable.

A core group of testers isnt going to reveal that your content is designed to segregate normal people.
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:28 AM

The fractals are fun but the rewards seem a bit low.  Other than the exotic back items, which actually seem to have lower stats than my current green one and no upgrade slot there didn't seem to be much point to them.  Is there a chance to get ascended items from them?

Tier 10+ fractals can drop ascended items is what is listed on the wiki. Ascended backpacks are mystic forge crafted.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: November 18, 2012, 12:04:49 PM

Tier 10+ fractals can drop ascended items is what is listed on the wiki. Ascended backpacks are mystic forge crafted.

Geez, i didn't even know there was that many levels.  Mine only goes up to five.

I am the .00000001428%
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: November 18, 2012, 12:08:46 PM

That would make sense. But for it to really show problems, that group needs to be playing like normal players, and be as many of them. 100 players testing two DEs in a zone at a time does not expose how an unknown trigger affects some NPC half a zone away (which I am only guessing but assume that was the problem with Noll). And for some reason, none of those players are playing Norn or they wouldn't keeping introduce ceiling-height issues on jump puzzles.

I think they want it to be a 'post-80 endgame zone', and yea, the mobs are quite a bit harder than orr or frostgorge - I also saw plenty of level 82 and 84 [!] mobs, which obviously hit pretty hard. Only advice I have is to have some kind of projectile reflect skill, since the kraken mobs use a high-damage volley as their first attack. If you reflect that, it usually takes off 60% of their hp right there.
Yea. Boosted level 40 or new level 80 are established level 80, the new island is tougher than Cursed Shore, and everything either pulls or jumps at ya. Luckily it seems the mobs are spaced out a bit more than Cursed or Straights, so exploring is slightly easier.

Just don't bother 100%-ing yet. There's no reward, and there's not even a display of progress on the Map (or there wasn't as of last night, not sure what got/gets patched today).
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 18, 2012, 12:38:08 PM

Watching these events and the forthcoming changes I feel the game is leaving me at the station.

veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: November 18, 2012, 02:01:59 PM

Threash

I thought I read somewhere that the fractals have no end. Can't find where I read it now though, sorry.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: November 18, 2012, 03:00:36 PM

So Phase Three of the event is uh...

pee, eat, and make sure you're good before you start it, because you'll be there for three hours. It's like 10+ years of lessons learned about continuous time required were forgotten overnight. I've never seen an MMO I like so much miss the mark so badly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18  
Jump to: