Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18  (Read 116994 times)
murdoc
Terracotta Army

on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:49 AM

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/#lost-shores-weekend-event

Kicks off 12pm PST on Friday with an event and continues through the weekend. New map, new multi-tiered dungeon, new sPvP map and... new tier of gear?

New Item Quality Level - Ascended
While it remains to be seen exactly how many new items are being added in terms of new weapon or armor sets, we do know that a new quality level is being introduced: Ascended. This will be one step higher than exotic quality items, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts gearing up at level 80. As things stand currently, level 80 rares are basically something you only equip while piecing together an exotic set, and from there most people either salvage them for ectos or sell them on the trading post.

Hopefully the ascended gear will be somewhat difficult to obtain, otherwise it might end up greatly devaluing exotics moving forward. New items are also supposed to be hitting the current dungeon vendors, so I'm also curious to see how that will fit into the bigger itemization picture. According to ArenaNet, this new item quality is intended to help give the endgame a more distinct sense of progression, so I'd imagine that there won't be a massive amount of ascended gear hitting the live game right away either way.

It's also worth noting that with the update there will be a new resource to harvest, along with 200 new crafting recipes being added. Presumably these will be focused on the ascended quality level as well, so it will be interesting to see how expensive the new recipes will be to create given the current high production costs on exotic gear.

http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/previews/lost-shores-preview

Trying not to kneejerk until more details are out, but 3 months in and already possible powercreep and gear grind? That's where I will check out.

Looks like I'll miss most of the event too since I'm at work when it kicks off and my weekend playtime is spotty at best.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:18 AM

Already having trouble logging in for anything but WvW.  Now I have a dungeon grind to get geared for WvW again? Fuck You!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:11:48 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:20 AM

I really hope this 'better armor' thing is just some PR monkey messing up, and not a sign of things to come - another site says ascended is supposed to be "between exotic and legendary" when legendaries have the same stats as exotics. Wut?

Also, infusion aka one of the worst things in GW1? Come on.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:12:23 AM

I guess I should be thankful they are offering a clear cut reason for me to stop playing wvw (and gw2 in general) as I have no interest in dungeons  swamp poop
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:15:54 PM

I'll wait and see but after dropping 250k karma and probably 20 gold on getting all exoticed up and transmuted to the look I want, getting a new gear tier dumped on me would pretty much kill this for me. I would be surprised if they're stupid enough to add an actual stat difference this soon, though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:25:27 PM

That was one thing I really liked about gw1, the gear ceiling once you hit 20.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:43 PM

Yeah and a reasonably attainable stat cap is tremendously important for WvW balance.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

I'm still shaking my head how anyone at Arenanet would think this to be a good thing. According to one of the CMs on the official forums, they're preparing a blog post to offer some explanation. Really hoping it turns out the "better than exotic" thing is just a miscommunication, or they come to their senses (as they did with legendaries - originally legendary weapons had better stats too, but they changed them to be equal to exotics).

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:56:15 PM

Just the fact that they realize they need to come out with a blog post to explain things is sorta  Facepalm
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:57:11 PM

Eh, well, they can't shoulder all the blame for 3rd party preview sites being retarded, if that's indeed what all this turns out to be.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 01:31:08 PM

At this point it's all speculation, but this makes sense to me:

Ascended ITEMS with Infusion slots. These are whole new gear pieces people, NOT a new tier of armor. kitten the new dungeon deals with “fractals” that get harder the more you go in. Anyone think that maybe, just maybe, these new “ascended Items” are just gear pieces made for this particular dungeon (and likely for similar future dungeons), where you might have to upgrade your “infusions” based on certain fractals?
That actually sounds pretty cool. It’s basically a form of progression that isn’t necessary, but gives a reason to keep re-doing this dungeon.
Want to complete the dungeon once?
Cool, you can. You don’t need Ascended gear or Infusions to do it. You finished, have fun.
Want to run it multiple times and challenge yourself with higher difficulty each time?
Cool, go for it. Make sure you have your Ascended item and the proper Infusion.
This literally helps both sides of this coin. If you like to grind and like to max stats, you can grind the fractals till they become so difficult you start to bleed from the ears, and you can min-max on the infusions to your hearts content. If you just like to experience content once or twice you can run this dungeon a few times do that and you’ll have no issues with it.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:45:31 PM

That's interesting. Good for players who like doing that kind of thing. This game, like WoW, was always going to need multiple endgames. If what you quoted is correct, it's a much less resource-intensive way of handling the gear grind than WoW's mulitple zone progressions did. Plus, their engine can handle this kind of thing easier, being all dynamic down to the loot tables off plants and stuff  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:38 PM

If they do something like that, they really need to make the extra stats only affect you in that specific content.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:23 PM

They could easily do the fractals or whatever line the useless +% vs ____ sigils. They'd be stupid to actually add a new tier of gear and add creep. The "progression" wording terrifies me though. Please don't fuck up like that, ANet.

So a new gear slot on "Ascended" armor, that only applies inside a certain dungeon would be okay with me. But still kinda seems like it adds nothing to the gameplay.

I'd far prefer to fear early expansion plans, or new weapon sets for the classes instead of "new armor tier!"
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 02:21:10 PM

I don't think whatever this new gear is will actually affect me. But, why are some of you against this even if it is a post-Legendary or between Exotic-Legendary gearset? Is it because it's too soon to obsolete current Exotics and Legendaries because it will break the economy? Just curious.

It feels to me like it would be too fast to obsolete the Legendaries. But then I have no idea how many people are kitted in Exoctics and visiting the Forge every day.

Also wondering about this new resource and 200 new recipes. We talking across all professions or also a new profession?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:25:24 PM

I'm against it because in order for WvW to function as anything resembling a level playing field, character stats need to have a cap that is vaguely reasonable for most players to obtain. Exotics are just barely that.

If these are a work-in-dungeon-only local gear grind I don't care at all, though.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 02:44:32 PM

I don't think whatever this new gear is will actually affect me. But, why are some of you against this even if it is a post-Legendary or between Exotic-Legendary gearset? Is it because it's too soon to obsolete current Exotics and Legendaries because it will break the economy? Just curious.

It feels to me like it would be too fast to obsolete the Legendaries. But then I have no idea how many people are kitted in Exoctics and visiting the Forge every day.

Also wondering about this new resource and 200 new recipes. We talking across all professions or also a new profession?

Legendaries and Exotics have the same damage/stats.

I completely with Ingmar on this, if these are an in-dungeon only thing, I don't care one whit.

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:01:31 PM

Yeah, even if you add progression raiding, you'd just need to stat cap heavily in PVP. There's already too much of a difference in rare vs exotic for my tastes.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 03:54:53 PM

Legendaries and Exotics have the same damage/stats.
Wait, what?

So the only reason to go Legendary is for the appearance?

Granted, that's a good reason, but not at the cost of so many resources. I thought Legendaries had far superior something beyond vanity.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:15 PM

Nope. They're prestige only.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 07:41:06 PM

I must applaud a.net at exposing a bunch of fashionfags in my guild.
The amount of people purchasing gold just to craft Legendaries amused me to no end.
And everytime they want past people, they'd deliberately autoattack just to get noticed.
And the noobs in the guild would not believe me when I told them Legendaries stats are equal to exotics.
Fucking sheeples.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 10:36:47 PM

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Seems like ascended gear is undeniably better than the current best (exotic) gear.
Plus you have both offensive and defensive infusions and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some infusions that were a general upgrade to your stats.
Didn't take long for Arenanet to give up on the idea of limiting the geargrind to just cosmetic upgrades Heartbreak
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 10:47:35 PM

So they introduce strictly-better gear (omg it's purplez! literally!) AND go back on their earlier decision about legendaries being equal to exotics?

Nice.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:37 PM

95% chance of ragequit here. They could salvage it by saying 'oh and WvW auto scales everyone to full ascended level gear'.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:22 AM

The only silver lining I see is that ascended armor (probably) won't have rune slots, so you'd have to give up your set bonuses to use them.

Also, is it just me, or is the 'agony' / 'infusion' thing eerily similar to the Radiance grind (LOTRO) or farming Nature Resist for huhuran (vanilla WOW)?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:20 AM

You're assuming they won't just have set infusions instead, though. Hard to say for now I guess.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 01:50:05 AM

The only silver lining I see is that ascended armor (probably) won't have rune slots, so you'd have to give up your set bonuses to use them.

The ring in the example is a better version of the exotic that has the exotic gem attached to it (which is "the rune" for jewellery) and has an additional infusion slot.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:06 AM

Yeah, I noticed that - but that's for accessories. There are so many armor runes that they'd need to come up with a LOT of armor variations if they want to bake it into the armor itself*, or they'd just stick to a handful of rune options.

To reiterate, though, this is a shitty shitty design decision, and it flies in the face of what the game is about.

* This already exists for some items. See Mhenlo's Armor: it has a superior Dwayna rune built in, but it doesn't have an upgrade slot

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 06:03:56 AM

The way I'm reading this (or at least, choosing to) is that the Ascended gear has marginally better straight stats than Exotic gear but is balanced by having Infusion slots instead of Upgrade slots. The Infusion slots exist purely to counteract Agony, which is (and I sincerely hope remains) an NPC/Mob condition that won't be available to players and therefore won't affect PvP/WvW. The Infusion items, if ANet have any goddamn sense at all, will be beneficial purely for these Fractal dungeons but remain close enough to Exotics stats-wise that you might not bother swapping armours out to play standard PvE etc. Another caveat to wearing Ascended items may be that you won't have access to set bonuses. I'd probably be happiest if the Ascended gear was kept strictly to non-aesthetic items; ie the accessory slots (with the exception of the back slot which you can see if you choose to display it). That way the standard visual gear implementation in the game remains as it always was - hard stat ceiling aesthetic prestige.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 06:23:04 AM

Those dungeons might be pretty fun.  Looking forward to it.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 06:46:39 AM

I figured the backslot would be the first part of the Ascended gear as I don't think that there's any Exotic back pieces yet and nothing better than the not-worth 5g stats of the the guild backpack. Hopefully it's a cloak and not another backpack.

The big things for me will be how hard they are to obtain - I have both heavy and medium armour crafting maxed and hope I don't have to go back and level it some more and how they balance it for WvW. Hopefully the new resource nodes are in more places than the new Lost Shores zone/dungeon, but I had a hard enough time collecting the Orichalcum (I lucked out and got 80 ore from zone completions) or I'd never have been able to craft my gear.

I was pretty pissed about this yesterday, but today I've become more 'meh' as there is a ton of other games sitting on my PC that I haven't touched if this turns into a grind to be competitive.

If they add new weapons to each class that includes Agony conditions I will ragequit though.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:22 AM

I can promise you that Agony will be PvE only. They didn't give the Mursaat touch of death to people in PvP in GW1, they won't here, either. Plus, remember what's being said about the stat differential: the slot in the new gear is to mitigate Agony, not boost stats through the roof. I'm not seeing the WvW balance issue here; hell, having WvW open to lower levels boosting is a bigger potential balance issue than this.

Deep breath...
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 08:41:59 AM

Ya, I was totally thinking that glass cannon builds needed to 8% stronger.  Fuck you A.net.

"Me am play gods"
sachiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:56 AM

You know, there's nothing saying that all of these Ascended sets won't have Magic Find as a stat, like what was in their example.  The boosted primary stats would kind of offset the added magic find, plus then the slot for only Agony related things.  If it's a step between exotic and legendaries, but has MF as a required stat, that won't screw over wvw balance, but will be nice for the dungeon grinders.  I'd just chill until we see what comes out of the update.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:31 AM

Right now I think the dungeons in this game are as fun as getting punched in the dick. This being the internet, I should clarify that I don't enjoy that. I'm hoping that the new dungeon is fun, if so, this gear grind/content cock block won't really have an affect on me. If not, I'm considering going back to Rift. While I'm primarily a WvW player, I like the occasional PvE and kicking back with some friends in a dungeon. Rift has that same gear grind but their dungeons are pretty fun and I like the world better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars 2  |  Topic: The Lost Shores - Nov 16-18  
Jump to: