Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:04:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393949 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:44 AM

pretty par for the course, tbh - they were thrown together general models for the overall feel of the look of the game, and that usually involves recycling of art assets.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:29 PM

They said the concept art was just that and they freely admitted to stealing poses from other things.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:56 PM

That's more than a stolen pose, that's obviously a trace-over.

That said internal concept art is often thrown together from all sorts of shit, including other people's art and photos. Only scandalous if it makes it into the retail release or promotional materials.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 09:47:14 PM

New video doc. http://www.destinythegame.com/media/vidoc1

Not sure if this fits the MMO category anymore, but we'll see.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 02:09:28 AM

My initial take on this is that it'll be a SP/MP "mmo" hybrid. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 03:46:21 AM

They just bought ads on twitch that still tell us still fuckall about the game. They are advertising the 10 years thing though without mentioning its going to be 20 games or whatever, also didn't see anything about it being 360 only. Odd for a twitch.tv ad that makes it sound like a mmo twitch being a pretty big bastion of pc gaming.

Although after the Deadspace 3 ad I'll take anything at this point, whoever put that ad to that music should be fucking shot.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 07:28:27 AM

I am reasonably certain that this game is going to be Halo mechanics with a little more Battlefield style vehicular combat and some form of recurring fee on top of yearly expansions and DLC.

Activision (and Kotick in particular) have wanted to do a recurring monthly fee for CoD since Modern Warfare 2 at the earliest, but probably didn't want to rock the cash boat too much, beyond experiments like CoD Elite. Now that CoD's on a sales decline, a brand new franchise is a perfect opportunity to introduce players to a new monetization strategy.

Destiny is currently 360/PS3 only (though I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Microsoft and Sony reveal the Durango/Orbis around E3, and Activision announces Destiny will be coming to all four platforms shortly after; they've had the dev kits for at least a year), and there are conflicting reports about Bungie's desire to do a PC port, with the COO saying they'd "love to" do a PC version, while the co-founder says:

We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.

Which seems to suggest a lack of interest in one. Also a lot of hubris.

But who cares? These fucknuts bought their way out of Microsoft because they were sick of doing ten years of Halo, then immediately signed up for ten years of Destiny with Activision. They didn't care about the PC player with Halo, and nobody should be surprised if they don't care about them now.

But they'll still do a (likely lazy or farmed out) PC port if their pimp Activision really wants one.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:31:30 AM by koro »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 04:38:17 PM

i just sort of now see activision visually represented as emperor palpatine, blah blah punchline is it saying DESTINYYYYYY
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 04:44:49 PM

I'd like to see Bungie do a PC port on the sole condition that all formats play on the same servers. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Also, aren't the two biggest online shooter games in history a) on the PC and b) emphatically not run-n-gun cover shooters?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:47:29 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 11:11:21 PM

I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario in which we aren't talking about this in ten years as the exact moment console gaming died dead.

There are just so many reasons I don't even want to want this.

AKA Gyoza
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 01:23:28 AM

I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario in which we aren't talking about this in ten years as the exact moment console gaming died dead.
Oh I wish.

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:09 AM

Activision can terminate the contract without penalty if Destiny doesn't sell at least 5 million units in the first six months,

Man, who would agree to this sort of bullshit?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:09 AM

A company that knows they can probably sell five million copies of the game - regardless of actual quality - in its first week  based off of name alone.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:22 AM

At least it's better than linking payments to the metacritic score. Ohhhhh, I see.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 05:41:12 AM

Not sure if this fits the MMO category anymore, but we'll see.

It's a MMO on the grounds that they just had a big launch event and the devs could only make vague promises about its features and how fun it will be. But you can preorder it now if you want.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #50 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:34 AM

When did Gaute Godager start working for Bungie?  why so serious?

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #51 on: February 19, 2013, 12:12:39 PM

So this is an internet connection required game for consoles... thus, ~MMO. The definition of MMO is pretty loose as is.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 01:30:49 PM

Activision can terminate the contract without penalty if Destiny doesn't sell at least 5 million units in the first six months,

Man, who would agree to this sort of bullshit?

Think about how shitty the deals must be for publishers developers that aren't Bungie.

-edit- words
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:38:31 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #53 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:36 PM

Fan made video for what is known so far. 

This looks pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQFmob-vsM#t=1
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #54 on: March 04, 2014, 06:59:52 PM

Yeah. Looking forward to this. It's one of the two reasons I picked up an XBone.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 03:04:33 AM

It just feels like bungie wanted to go all-in on their cred, score a huge budget, and see if they could make World of Halo work. I think it'll work and it'll probably have enough lore and pretty to drag me in to try.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 02:38:29 PM

Too bad it isn't on pc. Looks interesting.

Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 02:44:00 PM

This is one of the reasons I am getting a PS4.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 02:45:41 PM

EDIT: wow never mind

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #59 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:30 AM

Didn't they say that it was going to be on the PC too, after they realized there was a lot of interest about it? I was looking forward to it, but not on a stupid joypad.

Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 11, 2014, 03:43:15 AM

Didn't they say that it was going to be on the PC too, after they realized there was a lot of interest about it? I was looking forward to it, but not on a stupid joypad.

I think that was the Division. Destiny was a console only game. They flirted with the idea of a PC, but it would have been a port.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #61 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:48 PM

Yeah, they announced back in November that it would spread the team too thin to put it on the PC, so they killed it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #62 on: March 11, 2014, 03:11:31 PM

And with that, all my interest in this has now been killed as well.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 04:35:23 AM

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 04:59:23 AM

That seems like a really bad idea.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 06:35:09 AM

That seems like a really bad idea.

I dunno. Half a billion on development AND promotion of a AAA title released to the console crowd (for this gen consoles and last) from a studio that a ton of people are already familiar with - and an MMOFPS hybird to boot? I'd say it is relatively a safe bet to do moderately well for at least 6-8m given it is on schedule to release just prior to the Xmas season. They'll sell a ton of boxes on this even if it turns out to be a steaming, vapid pile of wonky crap. People still play the hell out of CoD and Battlefield and even Halo. The only thing that will break this game will be poor implementation and network/server connectivity issues - which also means those non-connected console players will be left out, but that will be a blip on the screen.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:23 AM

Multiplayer deathmatch/push variants always do well since the content is fighting other people; this is supposed to be a PVE-driven thing isn't it?

I mean, when you spend a half a billion on this thing how well does it have to do to justify further spending to expand its content?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 06:54:22 AM

I'd say it was fine, except they are completely ignoring the PC. The fact they are releasing it on all consoles and not on the PC seems to be self-limiting and stupid.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 07:05:29 AM

No PC, no care.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 07:19:26 AM

I really can't wrap my head around it not coming out for the PC.  If they DO decide to release a PC version, it's going to be a console game that was made for PCs which sounds WAY worse than when they make games originally for PC into console games.  Am I right or am I saying that backwards?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: