Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 393936 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:11 PM

COD is also a franchise that was established on the console. This is brand new.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:54 AM

This game will be looked at as more of a sequel to HALO by the console crowd than a totally new franchise.

And HALO sold tons of boxes.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 06:06:42 AM

Halo sold a console or two, let alone boxes.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 08:16:21 AM

I can't break down that $500 million dollar budget. My first instinct seems like there are additional unmentioned details, which doesn't include that the number includes more than development costs. Like, it would be feasible to me that the $500 million is what they expect to spend over 10 years.

Citing Grand Theft Auto, 32.5 million copies sold worldwide (which is *nuts*) as of Feb 3rd 2014, and a development / marketing budget of $265 million. So to have Destiny cost twice as much as the most expensive video game ever made seems ludicrous.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 08:24:19 AM

perhaps the idea is to found a strong franchise with upfront expenses. throw an Avatar-level experience up in video game form.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:11 AM

What is this game again? Isn't it just a bunch of maps of a shooter than you run missions on with other people?

Like do you log into a lobby menu or spacial and pick a mission and get paired up with people? Is there an open world? Is there dynamic content?

As you can tell I haven't followed this because I don't own any consoles.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #111 on: May 09, 2014, 08:30:52 AM

http://n4g.com/news/1465758/destiny-everything-we-know-about-bungies-new-game-in-a-massive-40-minute-long-video

Long video is long, but has a ton of info. Not sure why you'd be interested unless you have a console though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:08 AM

http://n4g.com/news/1465758/destiny-everything-we-know-about-bungies-new-game-in-a-massive-40-minute-long-video

Long video is long, but has a ton of info. Not sure why you'd be interested unless you have a console though...

Because I'm curious about video games... That's why I'd like to know... Do you mind if I ask the question...? Please...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #113 on: May 09, 2014, 12:09:21 PM

Forty minutes?  Srsly?  I could die of just about anything in forty minutes and the last thing I'd see is a forty minute video on some game?  I think I'll go watch the last episode of Black Sails and try and die of Abs overload.  Who the fuck can't say everything there is to say about a game in three minutes?  Five at the most.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:41 PM

Well you can always, ya know, Google it. Not like there is a lack of information out there if you are curious and don't wish to flip thru the video. I liked the vid and posted it for reference.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:27 PM

Are there summaries of what's in that 40 minute video, or a summary of the GAME even?

Looks kind of neat but I know nothing about it. Yet another shot at a more-player borderlands game - something like that from the looks of it?!

And yeah, I'd have to buy a PS4 to experience it, too...
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #116 on: May 09, 2014, 02:35:08 PM

Are there summaries of what's in that 40 minute video, or a summary of the GAME even?

Looks kind of neat but I know nothing about it. Yet another shot at a more-player borderlands game - something like that from the looks of it?!

And yeah, I'd have to buy a PS4 to experience it, too...

Shooter, upgrades, 3 races, way in the future, you're defending the world from the darkness after a giant ball gave you technology, there's co-op missions and raids, customizable looks, 3 classes, public quests, some pvp, a trading economy of dropped crystals, and aliens.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:17 PM

Nice. Thanks.

Persistent world or instanced?
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 09, 2014, 07:56:43 PM

Supposedly open and persistent world.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 10, 2014, 07:08:57 AM

Huh.

So, have they specifically said noway/nohow/neverever on the PC version? Or have they just nocommented it?
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 10, 2014, 07:32:52 AM

From Blue's News (don't judge me)

Bungie has made some comments on why they are not currently creating a PC edition of Destiny, their upcoming first-person shooter. "It's pretty complicated," design lead Lars Bakken told Eurogamer.net during a studio tour. "That doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, it just means it won't happen right now." None of what follows actually seems that complicated, as he describes how they are stretching their resources to release it on all the console systems they've targeted, and while he says "we care a lot about the PC," he straightforwardly says the "console SKUs are really important for us and that's what we're focusing on."

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 10, 2014, 06:36:26 PM

Ah good.

I love the idea of this game, but I couldn't care less until it jumps to PC. I'm sure whatever business decision said console first was in the heyday of when the "next" console generation was going to bring all glory and retail dollars back to the big three. Ya know, the halcyon days before the Wii U was quickly forgotten, Xbone screwing up all its messaging and PS4 becoming the defacto choice even as a four year old gaming PC rig, resulting in pretty much everyone punting their launches into 2014.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #122 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:53 AM

I haven't seen an answer, though since it's PS4 only, I really don't give a shit other than for morbid curiosity. Is this going to have a subscription fee?

Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 12, 2014, 09:46:30 AM

I haven't seen an answer, though since it's PS4 only, I really don't give a shit other than for morbid curiosity. Is this going to have a subscription fee?

No plans to charge a sub on Bungie's end - at least at last call which was last year. I assume you do need Xbox gold and PSN equivalents to access it though.

Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 13, 2014, 02:50:28 PM

Assuming these numbers are good:

I picked a random CoD title (MW3 in this case) and tried to find sales figures for it.

PC: ~1.6 million
Xbox: ~14.2 million
PS3: ~12.8 million
Wii: ~0.7 million

So, that might have something to do with why they're not bothering with a PC version. I couldn't tell you how much extra money it costs to make a PC version, but if it's more than about 5% of their total budget it might not make a lot of sense to do it, financially.

Also: LOL Wii

I am not saying WOE PC GAMING IS DEAD but consoley stuff like this is a pretty questionable investment for the studios it seems like.

Those would be the VGchartz numbers which are retail sales only I believe. Though CoD is certainly a game whose fan-base is strongly console-centric and "AAA blockbuster" driven.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 18, 2014, 11:26:10 AM

I haven't seen an answer, though since it's PS4 only

You may wish to edit this.

Wow,  a lot of you are thinking Destiny is exclusive, when in fact it's getting CoD style preference.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:40:54 AM by sigil »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #126 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:24 PM

Since it's not PC, I will continue to not give a shit.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #127 on: May 25, 2014, 08:40:08 PM

I wonder if this will do as well as Titanfall....  why so serious?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #128 on: May 26, 2014, 06:23:03 AM

Titanfall's failure to live up to the hype must be scaring the hell out of them.  Also Microsoft in either a desperate attempt to get exclusive titles for the xbox one or as a deliberate attempt to harm destiny is trying to crank out all these rehashed version of Halo games.  I don't actually care enough to look up the release dates but dropping an HD version of Halo 2 with current graphics at the same time as destiny might screw them over a little.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 26, 2014, 08:32:08 AM

Yes, because if there's something I want to play on my Xbone, it's an HD re-release of the worst Halo game.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:05 AM

Looks like I got an invite to the alpha.  I generally can't stand fps on consoles but I'll give it a try if for no other reason than it gives me an excuse to use my new PS4.  We'll see how it goes.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 17, 2014, 08:31:51 AM

I watched some streams last weekend.

I think they're in a really bad place for having spent half a billion dollars on a thing.

The beacon-quest-things are really stupid. I'd probably rather have quest hubs. At least that way you can have something holding the game together, borderlands style.

Seriously - how did they make such a poor game given they have two borderlands games to use for inspiration?!
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 17, 2014, 08:48:35 AM

Seriously - how did they make such a poor game given they have two borderlands games to use for inspiration?!

Hubris.  "We made Halo and it was awesome so Halo online will be even more awesome!"
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:43 AM

I think they're in a really bad place for having spent half a billion dollars on a thing.

For what it's worth, I've seen almost unanimous positive feedback from folks who played the PS4 alpha, even from people who were previously not that fired up about it that are now believers. Anectodal yeah. Anyway I think Destiny is going to be huge. Personally I was a big fan of Borderlands and having spent untold hours on the first two games, I'm not really interested in the next one. Destiny however, I am really looking forward to after playing this weekend.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #134 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:04 AM

Think the alpha was just a weekend, it's over.

Game looks pretty, as an fps should.  Most people who played it seemed to like it but then that's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.  Seems to have a lot of those forced "oh no the lights are out here's a flashlight" type fights I really don't like.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #135 on: June 17, 2014, 10:31:40 AM

The beacon quest thing was okay to me; it basically breadcrumbs you around the whole area. There's almost always one right near where you finish another.

It's just all very perfunctory "Go here and press X", or "Kill X foozles", or even "literally just go and stand here for 10-15 seconds".

The "strike" was reasonably fun co-op and while a bit unreasonably tough in spots (the minibosses basically goddamn near one-shot me and I was the "heavy" class, 2 levels over the strike, and in level appropriate armor/weapons of uncommon or better quality in every slot) it felt more like a proper MMO dungeon than any of Borderlands 1/2's stuff did. Borderlands 2 bosses are basically "here is a gigantic sack of hitpoints that blows up the entire area with neigh-unavoidable attacks" in big circular arenas. The strike boss was a big sack of HP but was at least more interesting since it had more of a proper arena. It would target one person with its eyebeams of death, they head to cover and the rest of the team needs to focus-fire it until it picks a new target, with people who're free needing to take time to keep adds down as they rush in.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:23 AM

I liked how you really have to explore in the "Explore" mode. I thought the area in the alpha was kinda small, until I started finding one whole new area after another, that I wasn't led to with a flashing beacon on a map or anything, just had to find. Beacon quests are fairly simply but serve to give you mini tasks and extra xp as you explore the environment.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:04 PM

Why were there constantly quests in the level 4 area that led you to fight level 8-9 mobs?

One of my long time gaming buddies streamed it and he said while it looked incredible, it was a snoozefest.

Another random dude streaming was horrible at the game and seemingly clueless, so I have no idea what to think of that.

Me? It looks like generic fps #234323243. I'm going to avoid it. (I also avoided every single Halo game - I'm not their target audience.)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: June 17, 2014, 08:51:21 PM

You answered yourself:

spent half a billion dollars

We saw this with SWTOR, didn't we? Nearly without exception, the more a company blows on a title, the more conservative and CYA the end result. It may be solid, but it's not going to be memorable.

I think I said before that what we have here is the most expensive mediocre game ever.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #139 on: June 17, 2014, 09:04:01 PM

I liked it. It's still rough as fuck, but it's got promise.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Bungie's Destiny  
Jump to: