Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: PSA: Don't craft, use the AH 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PSA: Don't craft, use the AH  (Read 79877 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:26 AM

I just started playing (busy week at work) and I decided to take a look at the AH last night. It was kind of weird--I bid on one thing, got an instant outbid, but the money from my bid didn't come back to me. So I didn't get the item and I don't have the money. That can't be right...right?
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 08:37:39 AM

I just started playing (busy week at work) and I decided to take a look at the AH last night. It was kind of weird--I bid on one thing, got an instant outbid, but the money from my bid didn't come back to me. So I didn't get the item and I don't have the money. That can't be right...right?

Did you check your Completion tab?  You probably have to manually send it back to your Stash.

most often known as Drevik
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 09:03:55 AM

The AH seems to be levelling out now, prices are not the steal they used to be.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 19, 2012, 07:37:52 PM

Yeah, it wasn't showing up under Completion for some reason...just an odd lag, I guess.

Can you sort the AH by time left in the auction?
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 04:26:17 AM

Nope, they probably didn't want a bunch of people spamming bids on stuff without a buyout minutes before they expire.  Can't search or sort by bids either.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 20, 2012, 04:45:06 AM

Does anyone know where Tomes of Jewelcrafting start dropping?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
JRave
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 20, 2012, 07:00:24 AM

Does anyone know where Tomes of Jewelcrafting start dropping?

Tomes start dropping in Hell.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 10:37:12 PM

QFE for this  thread.  I made the mistake of leveling up crafting in my first playthrough.  I should have been hard core AHing.  Anyway  I think its o'k to level up the jeweler but the Black smith IMHO your better served leaving him alone as the recipies were simply too random IMHO.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #78 on: May 21, 2012, 11:50:37 AM

Interesting - my feeling was that it was far, far more forgiving than D2 normal->nightmare.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:14 PM

Interesting - my feeling was that it was far, far more forgiving than D2 normal->nightmare.
wat

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:47 PM

Hmm, I missed a page there.

That said I had basically no trouble with the Normal->Nightmare transition in D3. That was definitely not the case the first couple times I hit it in D2.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #81 on: May 21, 2012, 02:15:41 PM

The hardcore AH has abandoned me. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much it costs to craft L3X and L4X rares that give you 50+ Vit? Because if its close to 50k its time to switch over to crafting.

Basically the only market right now on the hardcore AH are double socketed leg/chest with a primary stat or with vit or even more redic a primary stat + vit rares. Any item with 4X + Vit plus a primary stat will sell it takes some research to figure out for how much. Everything else is probably better being broken down.

Reality is though that I don't ever want to sell that stuff because its always going to be useful for the next generation of characters. Basically items at L30 or higher aren't ever worth selling anymore and I'm not convinced that they are worth buying either so I'm leveling up my Smith to find out for myself.

re: Normal -> NM. You are crazy. At level 40 NM people are basically all aiming for 7-12k hp. That's essentially 50+ Vit on each item plus you need some primary stat. The best characters I'm seeing have 2XX on both off stats, min 8k hp and a strong damage stat. The stat requirements for not risking death against double boss packs with double abilities is huge compared to anything normal asked of you.

Also the difference between 1 player and 4 player NM feels much greater than 1 player to 4 player normal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:20:10 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 02:18:17 PM

I believe Ingmar's witchdoctor was a fatty fat fat lardball at 8300 hp or so at the end of Normal.

I had to re-gear my barbarian a bit, as I had 1500 hp.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 21, 2012, 02:34:06 PM

I wasn't THAT high at the end of normal, 3000 hp or so. I'm at about 5.5k halfway through Act 1. In D2 I would get destroyed by shit all over the place at first in NM, this hasn't been an issue at all in D3. Haven't died yet.

EDIT: Also Hoax you're talking HC which is a pretty different risk/reward evaluation.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:36:03 PM by Ingmar »

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: May 21, 2012, 02:38:40 PM

Hrm I must have transposed digits from 3800.  I'm at like 7700 now in Act 2, so 8k is probably doable with AH hijinks, though.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 21, 2012, 02:41:10 PM

The hardcore AH has abandoned me. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much it costs to craft L3X and L4X rares that give you 50+ Vit? Because if its close to 50k its time to switch over to crafting.

Basically the only market right now on the hardcore AH are double socketed leg/chest with a primary stat or with vit or even more redic a primary stat + vit rares. Any item with 4X + Vit plus a primary stat will sell it takes some research to figure out for how much. Everything else is probably better being broken down.

I've had a lot of luck just item shopping in stores, when you get to act 3 amulets and rings can spawn with vit+primarry stat.  my golas are 3000hp act 3 5000 act 4 and 10000 for entering nm.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #86 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:29 PM

AH help, please.  I have to be missing something, because there's no way they'd make the AH this difficult to use, right? 

Let's say I get a drop I can't use: Vampiric Heavy Axe of Flame.

Is there an easy way to search by name of the item (or is that limited to only legendary/set)?  Right now, the only way I know how to actually search for that item by name is to select:

1. Select Item type
2. Level range
3. Rarity
4. Preferred stats: Bonus minimum fire
5. Preferred stats: Life steal

Only then will it give me all the hits back on the item name.  Only then can I search bids and buyouts to come up with a decent price to post. 

Help please?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: May 21, 2012, 03:42:51 PM

I think you can only search legendary gear by name

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #88 on: May 21, 2012, 03:48:18 PM

EDIT: Also Hoax you're talking HC which is a pretty different risk/reward evaluation.

You can make it with 5.5k in Act1 NM but not four player and not without being under powered (you wont help much against hard packs because you'll be too busy running away) esp as melee. Yes hardcore is different but I was responding to the idea that you can take your act4 normal gear into Act1 NM and breeze through no problem. That just isn't the case unless by breeze through you mean die or kite every hard boss pack and never play with four people or let others carry you.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: May 21, 2012, 05:01:20 PM

Is there an easy way to search by name of the item (or is that limited to only legendary/set)?

There isn't, but it's also worthless to go by name on Rares.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #90 on: May 21, 2012, 05:39:14 PM

AH help, please.  I have to be missing something, because there's no way they'd make the AH this difficult to use, right?  

Let's say I get a drop I can't use: Vampiric Heavy Axe of Flame.

Is there an easy way to search by name of the item (or is that limited to only legendary/set)?  Right now, the only way I know how to actually search for that item by name is to select:

1. Select Item type
2. Level range
3. Rarity
4. Preferred stats: Bonus minimum fire
5. Preferred stats: Life steal

Only then will it give me all the hits back on the item name.  Only then can I search bids and buyouts to come up with a decent price to post.  

Help please?

No, but you don't  need to.

To sell an item:
Select appropriate socket (1h, 2h, wrist, whatever)
Put in level of item into range, +/- 2  (put 23-27 for a level 25 item)  (sometimes I just put 25-25)
Put in primary stat
Put in secondary stat if it's vitality (+32 int / +31 dex / 26 str item is really just a 32 int item. Primary Stat plus Vitality ONLY).
Put in Has Sockets if it does
Replace One of the two above with a modifier like life steal or resists if it's really good (generally I don't bother, this does not affect items very much except for things like +move speed)

Stick in buyout - 5k plus 5k for every 10 levels over 20  (L20 = 5k, 30 = 10k, 40 = 20k), mash search
If you get 5+ pages, put in specific round numbers for the primary stat that are lower but near the stat.
If you get 5+ pages, do the same for the secondary stat

If you still have 5+ pages, up the buyout by 5k until you have a page of items. Mouse over to see if there are comparable items. If so, make your buyout comparable.

It works a bit differently for weapons; In general, DPS is king and will outweigh stats. Instead of putting in specific numbers for stats, just sort by DPS and up/lower the buyout until you are in a comparable range and the stats are roughly similar.

Some people have been listing items with shit already in the sockets. This is fucking up the DPS listing and sorting. Just ignore that shit, and never buy a already-socketed item to discourage it further.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:44:39 PM by bhodi »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: May 21, 2012, 05:55:31 PM

Outside of the pricing, that's pretty much my procedure for putting an item up as well.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: May 21, 2012, 06:18:13 PM

Mine is to put it up for 5k so it sells quick so I can list something else. Unless it's uber than I price 25k.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #93 on: May 21, 2012, 06:23:33 PM

Yeah not being able to cancel an auction is so messed up.
statisticalfool
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:56 AM

By the way, until the for gold AH normalizes in prices, who would use the RMAH? Or when you get to level 60, are the prices for the really good items high?
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:01 AM

By the way, until the for gold AH normalizes in prices, who would use the RMAH? Or when you get to level 60, are the prices for the really good items high?

My friend sold a 1000+ dps lvl 60 bow for 2.5 million gold. True story, probably.

I don't see items going for $200 anytime soon, the item system is too borked for that. (Random blues outclass everything in many slots) But I could see $5-10+ to save a couple hours farming gold for the lazy with too much money.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 11:08:30 AM

Some people have been listing items with shit already in the sockets. This is fucking up the DPS listing and sorting. Just ignore that shit, and never buy a already-socketed item to discourage it further.

This issue needs to be addressed, so sick of it.

Have fun searching for a helm with X stats, 10% MF and a socket.  You're going to get 1,000 helms that have a socket with a topaz in it but no MF on the item and you have to look line by line to find the 3 that actually have a socket with no gem in it.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:27 AM

The AH seems to be levelling out now, prices are not the steal they used to be.

I dunno. I'm finding stuff so laughably cheap that I am thinking the hasty-auctioneer is forgetting to put in a zero. Maybe the endgame prices are leveling out some. But on the way to cap, my already OP'd DH barely lifts a finger now and I'm spending less than I would training the BS.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:26 PM

I'd love an ability to sort by something other than armor value or price for armor. With weapons sorting by DPS is loosely a decent idea and your top 10 results will have a winner in it. With armor, you have to get really creative with what you want or you won't find that cheap 90 dex item in the middle of a ton of 30 dex items with 1 higher armor.
schild
Administrator

Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:11 PM

Yes you will:

Dexterity: 90

Max Buyout: Whatever

Search

The search function is absolutely fine, it's just missing a "NO GEMS" button.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: May 24, 2012, 08:20:29 AM

So, does anyone have a prediction for how much gold will sell for once the RMAH opens?  Based on the prices items are going for now, I'm thinking maybe $1 = 10,000 gold or so.  This would make an item selling for 2.5 million gold now hit the $250 mark.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #101 on: May 24, 2012, 08:24:07 AM

$1 = 100,000 gold is my bet.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #102 on: May 24, 2012, 09:34:27 AM

You seem to get a lot more gold with each step up in difficulty mode, the level 60 inferno people move around hundreds of thousands of gold without thinking much of it and there are more of them everyday.  So there's a huge amount of gold already but we have no idea what the demand will be like.  I imagine most people will buy specific items rather than gold too.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: May 24, 2012, 02:12:09 PM

I'm really struggling to see what is rare enough to warrant RMAH. Maybe that final set item, but given how many I see already on the GAH I don't imagine them getting any rarer.

This economy is going to just get wackier since people can cap out on gear and gold so fast. There are so few good uses for gold in this game that buying it seems daft, and I'm just sinking whatever I make along the way into upgrades of the GAH. When I get to 60 I'll probably save up and buy some nice toys, but beyond that I can't see the long-term need for gold, or all that much gear.

schild
Administrator

Reply #104 on: May 24, 2012, 09:21:01 PM

I don't even know what a "set" item looks like in this game. What color is it, what do sets look like?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: PSA: Don't craft, use the AH  
Jump to: