Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frogdogs score!  (Read 158434 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #595 on: March 21, 2014, 06:33:48 PM

The text that comes up when you get the ball that says "Take the ball to the GOLD/PURPLE side" in caps + the fact that half the board is decorated as gold and the other half purple still isnt enough for some people to avoid that walk of shame to the wrong end.  I love it when this happens so I can send them tells about how f*cking stupid they are..good times

That just makes you an asshole a PVPer.

... at least in my experience.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #596 on: March 21, 2014, 07:02:58 PM

Sorry, I was totally fucking confused the first few times I tried it.

First, I could not find a way to throw the ball. I had to ask my roommate. Oh, it's a magical skill added to general abilities, silently, with no notification and then I was expected to drag it to my bar? What? Thanks for telling me this shit.

Finally, yeah, I get the ball and I don't know where the fuck to go because the arena has no obvious gold/purple sides. You have to look up and hunt for banners because all of the catwalks and such are the same fucking color both sides! I still can't easily tell at a glance so I look at my minimap for the quest icon and then run in that direction. Maybe if the flames were different colored it'd be more obvious.

So no, while you may think it's clear, it's simply not obvious to someone who has never played huttball before. A few banners in the background are NOT enough when you suddenly end up with the ball and 5 people are after you.

Edit: I should mention that no, I am not retarded and I quickly pick up game new concepts and video games in general. If *I* have trouble, that means "casuals" are fucking lost.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:06:07 PM by bhodi »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: March 21, 2014, 07:16:57 PM

The ability is added automagically to your next empty action bar slot on your first zone in. (I don't blame anyone for not figuring out how to throw it their first time)

-edit- I also want to say its explained on the loading screen for the zone itself, like the graphic, not just the little TIPS section at the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:19:48 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: March 21, 2014, 07:36:44 PM

It's really obvious if you go in right around level 10 as you still haven't gone past your first bar, but I can understand not seeing it if you don't jump right into Warzones.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #599 on: March 21, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

My bar was completely full so no, I didn't get the icon on it. I also have a i5-2600 with a SSD so the loading screen is about 2 and a half seconds long, so I didn't see that either.

Honestly I don't think you should allow level 10s on pvp anyway, at least for sage/sorc, because over the next 10 levels you get abilities that turn you from worthless into a functioning member of the team. I am of the opinion anyone that low level is simply dead weight. At level 10, I didn't have sprint or shield or force speed, and only about half my attacks. It really should be a minimum of level 20, when you get your ship.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:44:57 PM by bhodi »
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #600 on: March 21, 2014, 08:06:59 PM

Sorry, I was totally fucking confused the first few times I tried it.

First, I could not find a way to throw the ball. I had to ask my roommate. Oh, it's a magical skill added to general abilities, silently, with no notification and then I was expected to drag it to my bar? What? Thanks for telling me this shit.

Finally, yeah, I get the ball and I don't know where the fuck to go because the arena has no obvious gold/purple sides. You have to look up and hunt for banners because all of the catwalks and such are the same fucking color both sides! I still can't easily tell at a glance so I look at my minimap for the quest icon and then run in that direction. Maybe if the flames were different colored it'd be more obvious.

So no, while you may think it's clear, it's simply not obvious to someone who has never played huttball before. A few banners in the background are NOT enough when you suddenly end up with the ball and 5 people are after you.

Edit: I should mention that no, I am not retarded and I quickly pick up game new concepts and video games in general. If *I* have trouble, that means "casuals" are fucking lost.

No, it's perfectly understandable why you'd be confused. I know I was at first.

As Fordel said though, it is demoralising for those who have played enough to understand the ins-and-outs, particularly at 50. Yes, everyone starts somewhere, and some don't start until 50. But when you're looking down the Op list in the pre-WZ warmup, counting how many players have sub 14k hp (and hoping the other side has at least as many), and the first person to get the ball runs the wrong way - while Warzones Won: 0/3 has been staring at you for the last 2 hours...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes yes, pugs and all that.

They could do a much better job of explaining how huttball works to new players.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #601 on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:34 PM

I can understand not getting the throw the ball icon thing when u r new, we all did that most likely.   But its funny to see people in the 50 bracket go the wrong way.  Its not typically new players who are doing their first warzone at 50, if it is thats laughable in itself but experienced players who get turned around and simply go the wrong direction...thats worth a good reaming. 
LeaveMeAlone
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:09 PM

My bar was completely full so no, I didn't get the icon on it. I also have a i5-2600 with a SSD so the loading screen is about 2 and a half seconds long, so I didn't see that either.

Honestly I don't think you should allow level 10s on pvp anyway, at least for sage/sorc, because over the next 10 levels you get abilities that turn you from worthless into a functioning member of the team. I am of the opinion anyone that low level is simply dead weight. At level 10, I didn't have sprint or shield or force speed, and only about half my attacks. It really should be a minimum of level 20, when you get your ship.

Im in Ur Warzon runing Ur chancs! Too bad. I level up all my toons with pvp and storylines only (FP's here and there) as soon as I hit 10 I go to fleet and queue up. I'm a reasonably competent player and do gear up (supported by my main) but even if my gear was crap I would still queue up. Don't hate the player for badly implemented warzones. They should have been divided by levels from the start, and cross server to boot since most of the servers can barely support more than one WZ at a time. And yeah, I do feel pretty worthless though you do get bads on the opposing side concentrating all their attacks on me (yay, a level 10, easy kill!) that they actually leave the door, or turret to mow me down, allow someone else to cap. Don't waste your heals on me either unless I'm doing something worthy. Just don't throw the huttball to me, I don't even have sprint yet. You level up fairly quickly doing warzones.

On my original server, a pvp one, I was definately a liability.  On my current server, well I am pretty amazed at how much everyone sucks. I've capped turrets and planted bombs while everyone else is god knows where off fighting.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #603 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:47 PM

You level up fairly quickly doing warzones.

That is the opposite of what I found when I tried it - I moved much faster PVEing.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: March 21, 2014, 10:33:40 PM

You level up fairly quickly doing warzones.

That is the opposite of what I found when I tried it - I moved much faster PVEing.

As someone who leveled a toon from 1-50 only pve and one 1-50 through PvP and class story.  It's definitely faster PvE.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: March 22, 2014, 10:42:30 AM

Before they nerfed the experience for losses, leveling via pvp and story quest was quite viable.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #606 on: March 23, 2014, 08:28:17 AM

The answer is actually a combination of the two. There are plenty of quests sprinkled into the worlds that just don't have a very good rate of return - a lot of running, or you didn't pick up any other quests in the area, or what not.

Really, the "Fastest" way to level is to do the daily pvp, the daily space combat, and level normally, avoiding going places that don't have stacked quests. Sprinkle in a bit of pvp when your 30m travel thing isn't up and it would be faster to warp back somewhere. Oh, and only level during rested, of course.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #607 on: May 10, 2012, 01:51:27 PM

I did some lowbie PvP on my scoundrel (yes, I made a dude smuggler on some other server don't judge me). It's sort of a shame it goes all gear-based stupid at level 50, I actually had more fun than I expected, even though I was terrible. I really shouldn't go back until I get space vanish. :P

God Save the Horn Players
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:05 PM

You always have more fun then you expect whenever you PvP :P

But yes, there is very little reason to WANT to enter the 50 bracket.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #609 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:04 PM

Look, I suck at PvP and I am often unhappy when I suck at an activity, okay!

God Save the Horn Players
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score!  
Jump to: