Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frogdogs score!  (Read 158187 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: December 19, 2011, 07:04:50 AM

So, PvP on PvE servers. Let's have a thread for that.

Played a few matches last night and got to Valor 3 and TWO currency units (?) shy of the stupid orange legs I was going for (183, need 185). Blah! Overall, it was pretty enjoyable. 2 rounds of huttball and 1 of some other three objective thing with guns.

But it really made me yearn for multiple roles ala Rift. And sad that TOR will likely be saddled with the antiquated WoW implementation of dual spec. Because one thing I liked about Rift was the ability to have a full-on pvp spec (I was jonesing for the Grapple upgrade last night). With dual spec, I'd use up my alternate spec for pvp and never have a dps spec or operations spec.

CC seemed a bit annoying but not too bad, spent most of the match adjusting to the requirements of pvp (instants and ranged). BH seemed pretty damned good, I was in the top five for damage twice and better than middle of the pack the last round. I walked into the fire in huttball so many times I felt dumb. The map was a bit frustrating and I relied heavily on my ranged explosives.

The three cannon map was interesting but then I got frustrated by a good team while playing on a zerg team. There was a combat medic trooper and a dps shadow, trooper was obviously guarding the shadow. They completely locked down the third cannon while a few folks defended the first one and everyone fought over the middle one. So I tried to crack the duo for fun, just no way I could get around that combination, and the rest of my team just let them hold the objective. The guard ability, heavy armor and healing is a hell of a combination for pvp.

Just a thought dump to get the thing rolling.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:46:04 AM

I played one of the games where you have to capture the turrets so they shoot the Rebels ship. I died a ton (didn't know the map at all, kept getting ganged up on), but I did have a few kills and pretty good damage (playing a BH at level 12).

During Huttball in Beta I also didn't do that great, playing a JK - so far, the BGs/Huttball are much tougher than I expected, mostly because I have a hard time juggling targets and abilities quickly (how many times did I hit an AoE ability like Death From Above when I meant to hit an immediate skill? Too many!).

After I get off DK I plan on spending a bit more time in BGs so I can practice how PvP rolls in this game. Since I run around with my PK flag on all the time, I should figure it out before some random Rebel ganks me...

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:53:00 PM

They put the pass button next to my oil slick, so I've yet to pass but I spill like the drunken captain of an Exxon vessel. My DFA key is a bit funky (Alt 5) because it's so situational and usually an opener in PvE. I've been having trouble with it in PvP action. Another reason I'd like to see the Rift implementation with at least 3 roles available with a keyboard layout so I can remap it to make more sense in pvp. I mean, I'm somewhat competent and at least I'm mostly aware of the game mode goals; so for a newb I did ok. But with the fast pace, I need thought to map to action faster and hitting wonky keystrokes because that works in PvE doesn't work in PvP.

All that aside, it's FUN. Masochistically, I got the urge to pvp after plugging through the Mandalorian flashpoint where we wiped a few times to the republic npc group (one of each archetype). It was initially frustrating (and expensive 2.5k in repairs), but ultimately trying to figure out what the hell they were doing (without a combat log  why so serious?) got me in the pvp mindset. I'm not sure I could overcome that tank/dps duo on Alderaan (I looked it up!), for instance.

Also the first time I was wanting some kind of voip with BC backup. I bet a few of us working together would be mayhem on the warfronts.

While they buff up the lowbies, having more abilities makes a pretty significant difference. Stuff like flame sweep, grapple and oil slick are real nice to have in the bag of tricks, as well as having more talents.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:41 PM

I mapped throw Huttball to shift-mousewheel up, but I've been doing a lot of it (valor 20ish). I've set up a decent ladder system with the other 3 I consistently go into warzones with and we basically pass over every single firetrap to the endzone. Works pretty good until we get punted off the catwalks.

Merc is ridiculous in Warzones right now, I'm usually top 3 for damage and kills, especially in Voidstar where everyone seems to like to group up and stand still for me to DFA the Hell outta them.

You also max commendations at 1000 so I have my full set of level 40 pvp gear waiting in the bank  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:43 PM

You also max commendations at 1000 so I have my full set of level 40 pvp gear waiting in the bank  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Thanks for saying that, I was about to cap in that case.  I would definitely be doing more warfronts, but we just get so much damn Huttball on my server.  Got up to V10 and decided to call it outside of the Daily until launch in hopes that the server evens out.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:37:58 PM

I am enjoying Huttball quite a bit, though I am *better* at the 3 turret and the spaceship door BoomBoom one.  Huttball is still amateur hour with a few ringers in it.   Perhaps it is from doing pvp in MMOs too much and not enough FPS? But taking the Z axis into consideration isn't something I am used to .   Too much time in fantasy based pvp running around in a green field fighting, not enough time with catwalks and ramps and such.  I will be standing there zapping someone when suddenly my health bar starts vanishing, and it will take me a few moments to realize there is someone on a catwalk directly above me lighting me arse up.

I am enjoying the warzones a lot right now, in part because my gut says that a few months from now they will be full of farm teams crushing random solo scrubs like me.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:01:14 PM

I haven't found where to buy pvp gear yet, well, I have but am a bit lost. I saw the vendors on the space station but it seems to be for a commendation type I don't have yet? Anyway, I'm playing a scoundrel as my main and on Shien server I've more or less stopped pvp. The republic sucks, so badly that the only match I won was in a huttball scenario where it was Republic vs Republic...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:02:46 PM

I wish we could select which of the WF(s) to queue for, or set a filter. Huttball (or rather, teammates not knowing wtf to do) is already getting old. The other two BGs are fairly straightforward assault / domination maps, and I find them a lot more fun.

I haven't pvp'd that much (valor level 8 or so), but BHs/troopers in general seem to be really high damage and lead the charts. Since I'm tank spec, I have some pretty good tools for controlling the enemy and keeping our team alive... as long as there's a healer on our team. Most of the time there isn't.  awesome, for real

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:36:15 AM

I am enjoying Huttball quite a bit, though I am *better* at the 3 turret and the spaceship door BoomBoom one. 

Best thing about the Alderaan map was the end and seeing the losing spaceship crash (in this case, it was ours). It makes it all so much more relevant than sitting around the blacksmith or the stables wondering what the hell the point of the map is.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 06:32:30 AM

Huttball (or rather, teammates not knowing wtf to do) is already getting old.
That's really the thing. I got into a huttball match last night against a premade and we just got absolutely slaughtered. I think it was 0-7 when the buzzer sounded, I think my team gave up at some point. I did better as the match went on, because I spent time analyzing what they were doing and trying to counter their tricks. While there wasn't much I could do about their gank group, I had good success against their ball runner, a SW who abused the shit out of force leap (or whatever SWs get like the JK) to hit the end zone from the pit area in front of it. I would hang out on the raised area to shock anyone moving over the top or grapple back the SW when he did his leap crap.

I bound the ball passing ability to a mouse button, and that changed the game. If only I was on an actual team it would've been a lot more fun. I did start to get things moving, distracting the entire enemy team and making a great pass to an open assassin, but then he didn't know what to do and got quickly slaughtered. Later in the match when I was mostly taking notes of what the opposition was doing and trying things out, I would just play ball denial and flame sweep to make everyone jump back and then quickly pass it to open ground to reset the ball.

Again wishing for the multispec, there are several things I'd like for a huttball build. Lower CD on electro dart (the BH CC), lower CD on grapple, stun on grapple, speed buff on the rocket leap thing (don't have that yet, just sayin'), and the rail shot buffs I'm skipping now, because it's a great instant for pvp.

Some random things:

Force leap to an enemy emerging from the spawn point when you're the ball carrier. Easy score.
A 2 minute CD on my only CC-breaking ability is teh sux.
CCing someone on a fire pad never gets old.
Grapple is your friend, BHs.
Map pass to a button.
Passing to open ground is better than going down with the ball (it resets the ball to the middle).
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:32 AM

What is the limit on team queue size? We should get some guild matches in.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:24:56 AM

I think I was playing 8 player matches, but I think you can only queue a group not a raid.

I want to grab the orange chest to go with the legs I got last night, and a blaster. After that it's just building up points for the level 40 stuff. Since Murd said that caps at 1000 I don't see doing a TON of pvp before 40, since 5 or 6 matches got me almost 300 commendation currency thingies.

After 40, though....I've got at least two full suits of gear I have my eye on.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:32 PM

As a  sniper I hate huttball with a passions. Most retarded map . Classes with leaps, sprints and knockbacks rule the day:/  I still top damage charts ( along with sorcs) but my contribution to win is near 0
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:40:05 PM

As a  sniper I hate huttball with a passions. Most retarded map . Classes with leaps, sprints and knockbacks rule the day:/  I still top damage charts ( along with sorcs) but my contribution to win is near 0

How on Earth do you top the damage charts?  Every match I play, I get targeted and rushed immediately.  A BH in my guild routinely puts up over 200k damage and it's almost impossible to match that with 6-8 deaths.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:53:49 PM

Do you use the air jet jump pads?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:02 PM

How on Earth do you top the damage charts?  Every match I play, I get targeted and rushed immediately.  A BH in my guild routinely puts up over 200k damage and it's almost impossible to match that with 6-8 deaths.

I only once broke 200k  (typical is ~175k) ,  and usually my main competitors are sorcs.  My damage is basically I spam frag grenade on cooldown and use cover-sniper (have perk for instant snipe in cover) sequence. Channeled shots are tricky to land on this map so i try avoid them. If someone gets on me I use debilitate, shiv(now at lvl 28 I will use eviscerate instead), ambush knockback  and at that point I can usually just kill before enemy closes again, use flashbang if more than one enemy (and if you are chain ccd well its gg no matter what class your are : ) . And generally I try stay away from aggro range of large mobs (but close enough to frag grenade em)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:07:32 PM by Dark_MadMax »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 01:14:06 PM

I feel better now.  I can manage 160-180k every match, but almost never come higher than 3rd on the charts.  I use the insta sniper and the finisher when able, drop frag grenades while moving, and use the ae knockback when I get melee on me.  I'm still trying to find an "ideal" rotation, but sniper is so situational that a rotation doesn't really seem in order.

Thanks for the info Max

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:25 PM

Huttball

.....A 2 minute CD on my only CC-breaking ability is teh sux.
CCing someone on a fire pad never gets old....

the 2 min CD is brutal.

the first time I knocked someone into a fire trap then stunned them there when the flames came on... I knew I had found my calling.  I am developing a knack for knocking the ball carrier into acid and flames. 

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:49 PM

Knock backs into the acid are almost as much fun as stunning someone on the firepads. We do a lot of throwing the ball up onto catwalks from the pits and that seems to get us a lot of space. Huttball is capped at 6-0 and if you hit that you get dick for experience, so you'll see the good ol' farming kills at 5-0.

Already seeing a lot of idlers, especially in Alderaan. There needs to be a report button.
I hit 25 on my  bounty hunter today and the only quests I've done past Hutta, is the class quests on Kaas and Balmora, the space missions and ran each FP up to the Mandalorian one at least once. Crafting is all in the 175 - 225 range and I'm sufficiently geared up imo, do leveling via PvP is entirely viable. Not hurting for too much and thoroughly enjoying my class quest. Making sure I grab the daily space and PvP quests help a ton.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:52:59 AM by murdoc »

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:20 PM

With all the instakill fire around and Z axis shenanigans, huttball is basically tor anroc from WAR, only worse since it requires more from people than just holding the 'flag'. If you have lots of knockbacks, stuns and charge abilities (that can easily get you to a top platform), you'll probably enjoy it. It doesn't help that pvp in this game is STILL not as responsive as WOW (and to be fair, most games aren't) and doesn't give as clear feedback regarding which people are stunned / mezzed / etc. I've stunned / harpooned people many times only to find that they weren't actually standing where my screen was showing them to be. Hope you don't have 200+ ping!

Re the huttball pads: they seem to be mostly random... I first thought the direction they blew you in depended on which direction you approached them from, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 10:47:27 PM

PVP with knockbacks and insta-kills is not fun.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:35:40 PM

mapped the huttball to a mouse key, but not working so hot, wish there was a way i could practice it.  I guess I could roll a BH cause one of their skills uses a similar targetting method.

I hit hutball, see the target pass thing then click again and nothing happens.. sometimes it is cause i am stunned other times it clearly seems like it should just be working /shrug.  I am sure it is a user error issue, but just not certain what I am doing wrong.

As for knockbacks/grappling hook is not fun pvp.  Are there any classes that don't have some sort of kockback or grappling hook? and if not that then the *leap a tall builging in a single bound jump* thing?

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 12:40:50 AM

KB abilties are not a game-killer by themselves (though annoying - especially in a game with less-than-ideal responsiveness like WAR and SWTOR), but when you add instant-kill mechanics and annoying Z-coordinate shenanigans, they turn into very Bad Things.

In either case, more classes having abilities like this makes things worse, not better... at least IMO.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 06:16:53 AM

You guys are very serious.

What has happened to the world when I'm a cheerleader for grouping and pvp?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 06:33:03 AM

Did you play warhammer?

I am the .00000001428%
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 06:58:12 AM

Huttball is a blast and very different for Tor Anroc. Don't get insta-killed on firepads by passing over them. The acid isn't insta-kill either. You guys are very serious about this  Ohhhhh, I see.

Having said that, I can see why people wouldn't like it and it'd be nice to be able to queue for the Warzones individually. I went on a losing spree the other night that resulted in me just not queuing anymore because I couldn't handle another game of Huttball, but would have been happy in Voidstar or Alderaan.

The last couple of days were nice as the spread of games was pretty even, but up until that point it was 75% Huttball since (I'm assuming) Empire outnumbers the Republic by a considerable amount.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 07:19:22 AM

Yeah, most of my pvp has been empire vs empire huttball.

Fire pads make me laugh, because they trick me every damned time. While I rarely die to them, I usually slash my hps down. I see it as handicapping myself so I don't steal all the glory and purpz. Yet to splashdown in the acid wading pool.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 08:46:03 AM

The first warzone I got was Voidstar (I think, the one where you have to breach a series of doors and download some data) and there are plenty of places you can get instakilled by knockback on there, by falling to your death.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:41 AM

Love Huttball.  My Marauder tears things up and is actually pretty damn mobile, although the 2 minute cooldown on CC break is  swamp poop I've yet to be chain CC'd or anything too horrible (unless I was carrying the ball, where it would be expected).  Force Charging up the z axis is win.  Force Choke/2 snares make me very good at dealing with the carrier and good at CC in general.  Last of all, the game is just straightfowardly fun!  If only it didn't de-activate sprint every time you died.  That shit is beyond annoying.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 11:07:13 AM

Force Charging up the z axis is win.  Force Choke/2 snares make me very good at dealing with the carrier and good at CC in general.
I get my Shield Tech rocket jump thingie that's basically BH force leap in two more levels, so I'm excited to have both that AND grapple. My CC is only a couple seconds with a pretty slow regen. I do have access to some great things I've mentioned before, a couple decent snares that talent onto other abilities...but without multiple specs I won't be using them (pvp would be my 3rd spec after tank then dps). I think the BH's best role is to be obnoxious with AE stuff and guard the goal against stuff like SW leaps.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 11:25:31 AM

Marauders Force Leaping into the end zone is just  Heartbreak

As a heal spec Sorcerer, I get chain cc'd a lot.  It's very frustrating on top of the 30% reduction to healing in pvp.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 21, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

I might have to give this a try on my Sorcerer.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:06 PM

Marauders Force Leaping into the end zone is just  Heartbreak

As a heal spec Sorcerer, I get chain cc'd a lot.  It's very frustrating on top of the 30% reduction to healing in pvp.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering when I got the ability, but there's that "break CC" power for inquisitors/sorcerers .... I haven't had to deal with chain CC tho, so maybe that's the difference.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 21, 2011, 12:50:45 PM

I think every class gets a version of it, but it's on a 2 minute CD.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 06:36:50 PM

PvP is utterly frustrating and sucking out my will to even log in. Empire players seem to be to dumb to grasp even simple basics of teamplay.

I think I lost 15 battlegrounds in a row today to people running into enemy groups single file one by one.

Raging in the /ops channel might  very well get my banned.  why so serious?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score!  
Jump to: