Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frogdogs score!  (Read 158169 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:06 PM

Just standing at the cannon the entire match is a guaranteed two.

I am the .00000001428%
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:03 PM

They need to do another pass on Objective points anyway as Voidstar is pretty stingy about giving them out and I believe only gives them out on one side.

But for the record, that person guarding by themselves in Civil War will probably get four medals: 1k objective, 3k objective, a solo kill, and a killing blow.

But if he's smart and calls incoming, there's a good chance he doesn't get one or both of those kill medals.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: February 15, 2012, 09:31:13 PM

Nevermore has a point, being the guard dog at a node can be very limiting medal wise, its very dependent on the matches flow.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #563 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:15 AM

This just in, rewards in pvp punish people who play with good tactics.

It's why I never hit max level in Planetside, and had almost no CEP even though almost everyone quickly maxed both BEP and CEP. I dislike gaming the system, and I like playing tactically.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:04 PM

It's why I never hit max level in Planetside, and had almost no CEP even though almost everyone quickly maxed both BEP and CEP. I dislike gaming the system, and I like playing tactically.

No that's just incorrect too. Being tactical doesn't exclude the scoring scheme. There are times when doing a important job limits your potential yes, but those are the exceptions.

Conversely some of the most important things I've done in a voidstar match is being the bait. Causing the defenders to pull away from their door and fight me and my support away from a node. We'll get tons of medals doing that but we also enable that sneaker to grab the node since everyone is focusing on us and we've moved the fight away from the doors.

Or forcing the engagement at the middle on Civil War, because two commandos and myself can keep twice our numbers occupied and locked down. It's not uncommon for us to keep middle unclaimed for the first half of any civil war match. Letting everyone else take up the sides because the enemy team must send more people to middle to simply prevent us from capping it.

Or even just being the mobile on a 2 base defense. Is the guy who bounces between the two nodes to reinforce being less tactical then the guy on guard duty?

I've never gone out of my way to 'farm' a medal, I just play how ever best I can help my team and still end up with 6-10 per match. The exception being the quiet door or quiet node guard dog, then all I usually get is the two warden ones and maybe a 10 kill from proximity.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:03 PM

I really despair at how hard it is to convince a pug to sneak-and-bait in Voidstar. If you:

a) send about half the team unstealthed to one side
b) 2-3 players unstealthed to the other side, and have them back up as they get attacked, pulling enemies off the gate.
c) 2 stealthed players to other side, one of them on guard to cc. anyone who tries to get back to stop a plant, the other of whom plants

you'll get any team but the most skilled.

But instead, everyone just shouts, "stealthed right, unstealthed left". That doesn't work any more unless you're playing really clueless people.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:31 PM

I often find the best strategy is just EVERYONE goes one side and just out kills the other team, they can't disarm if they are all rezzing  why so serious?

It also usually opens up a sneak plant on the opposite door about 5 minutes into the brawl.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: February 16, 2012, 01:40:24 PM

No that's just incorrect too. Being tactical doesn't exclude the scoring scheme. There are times when doing a important job limits your potential yes, but those are the exceptions.

Conversely some of the most important things I've done in a voidstar match is being the bait. Causing the defenders to pull away from their door and fight me and my support away from a node. We'll get tons of medals doing that but we also enable that sneaker to grab the node since everyone is focusing on us and we've moved the fight away from the doors.

Or forcing the engagement at the middle on Civil War, because two commandos and myself can keep twice our numbers occupied and locked down. It's not uncommon for us to keep middle unclaimed for the first half of any civil war match. Letting everyone else take up the sides because the enemy team must send more people to middle to simply prevent us from capping it.

Or even just being the mobile on a 2 base defense. Is the guy who bounces between the two nodes to reinforce being less tactical then the guy on guard duty?

I've never gone out of my way to 'farm' a medal, I just play how ever best I can help my team and still end up with 6-10 per match. The exception being the quiet door or quiet node guard dog, then all I usually get is the two warden ones and maybe a 10 kill from proximity.
Yeah, pretty much this. I never 'farm medals', but most of the things that get you medals are helping the team win, and vice versa. Roaming defense by itself is pretty huge (and most puggers don't know about it, sadly), and sheer raw damage/healing will make a difference in all WZs except huttball. Random midfield fighting is very beneficial if you're winning; sending out a small team of 2-4 people to pressure the 3rd node when controlling 2 usually elicits a frenzied defense from the other side and nullifying any attempts at an attack (also known as the 'At Least We Got Stables' strategy  awesome, for real) Heck, as much as I dislike it, that elitist trashtalking stealther in full battlemaster gear farming kills in the middle of nowhere (even if the team is losing) is probably occupying 2-3 enemies by himself, giving the team a numbers advantage and making nodes much easier to capture.

Like in Fordel's example, 2-3 people drawing away extra defenders against superior numbers, weakening a node defense and allowing for a cap can work great. I had a memorable Alderaan win where the enemy team had 3 [!] geared healers sitting on the right node along with a dps or two, and kept the bulk of their forces in mid - no roamers. The guys at the right node were smart enough to split and move to the middle node when it was threatened, so instead we sent two healers and a tank from our side to make a nuisance and keep them there... we obviously couldn't kill them, but they couldn't kill us either. Everyone fighting over the spot racked up tons of medals (protection, damage, healing, warden), but more importantly we kept their healers from reinforcing their mid (predictable pug tunnel vision). Meanwhile the rest of our team ground down their middle team, and by the time their healers figured out what was going on and tried to reinforce, we could CC them long enough to secure the middle cap.

Yeah, Joe Pugger who runs off alone to hit an enemy base and gets 3-shot isn't doing anything to help the cause... but in general most 'medal farming' activities are helping the team win. They would definitely need to add more healing medals (a few 'x healing in one life' would be fine I think) and guard medals for the 4-medal concept to work, though.

Re voidstar, I've also had good success with pinning down the enemy team at one side. Due to the way rez timers work, it's better to keep enemies alive until it's possible to chain-kill at least a few of them. The usual strategy of 'gank the healer and we're good' can work (assuming there's only one healer on the enemy team, obv), but more often than not that healer will be back in ~15 sec, and the other enemies can easily keep the doors clear until then. I don't doubt that organized teams keep an eye on the rez door timer, and try to time their kills so the defenders have to wait 30 sec or more (aka an eternity) to get back in the fight.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:51:08 PM by Zetor »

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:31 AM

Cant explain why but playing as Rep now at least on the server I am on(Rp-PvP)  the Pub players seem much more team / winning oriented on a consistent basis.  Far more healers then I ever saw as Empire, people work together, etc.  They talk at the beginning to decide a strat.  Think I might of just got lucky on my server choice.  Overall, this has made my win rate over 80% since I started here a little over week ago, Im now level 32.  I already have all my 40 gear and have started to get more for my companions.  WINNING!!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:28 PM

Conversely, on Shien as Imperial I have lost once on Voidstar, and no times on Alderaan.

Not that I've played an enormous number of the things - but like you say, seems to a be a server culture thing.

I have found PUGs are perfectly willing to listen if I talk to them, but mostly, fuck that.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: February 20, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Shien's pvp population is so small, it's almost entirely based on when you play.

You'll get like 2 hour chunks where the republic wins everything, then 2 hour chunks where empire wins everything, then 2 hours chunks where its nothing but huttball because there just isn't enough on the other side period.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #571 on: February 22, 2012, 12:24:47 AM

*edit* dropped in pet peeves thread
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:26:49 AM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: February 26, 2012, 07:58:41 PM

I am constantly amazed at how quickly the WRONG person holding the huttball or even just standing in the wrong place, can fuck your entire team over.

If you are a ranged class that isn't a cover class, either get in knockback range of the enemy BC, or get off our fucking ramps already. You knocked the enemy BC into the pit? Good job! NOW GET OFF THE ENDZONE LEDGE BEFORE HE CHARGES BACK UP THERE! Either BACK UP, or JUMP IN, do not just stand on the edge so the enemy can just charge the fuck up again.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #573 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:32 PM

New Patch PVP reward system, same as the old patch!  why so serious?

Credit for Ilum through warzones? It's complete warzones. As in 30 10 Warzones a day.

Single BM token? 1000 WZ comm, 1000 Merc comm. BM set pieces take 2 tokens, Weapons take 3.

-edit- Its apparently 3 per WZ, which is only mildly ball-busting, instead of abusive.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:31:18 PM by Fordel »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: March 06, 2012, 02:00:41 PM

Keep in mind you can still mix and match getting Ilum credit through the WZ completions (not wins, just completions) and the old fashioned way with kills/armaments on Ilum.

Plus I'm getting an average of 3 times as much valor per WZ as well.  I get over 3k valor per win now.

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #575 on: March 06, 2012, 02:04:20 PM

Credit for Ilum through warzones? It's complete warzones. As in 30 10 Warzones a day.

That will be easy.  It takes 10 just to get a win on my server. 

I hate people. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #576 on: March 06, 2012, 02:08:22 PM

That will be easy.  It takes 10 just to get a win on my server. 

I hate people. 

Complete warzones. Not wins.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: March 06, 2012, 02:09:15 PM

Yes, I know. 

I have to play about 20 matches to get my 3 wins.  I'll have Ilum done far sooner than my win 3 quest. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: March 06, 2012, 02:59:06 PM

It's way to grindy, no matter how you slice it.

Ten Warzones is like, 3-4 hours in my experience. That's basically my entire evening play session.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:08 PM

Then don't.  Just keep bike riding around central.

Over and out.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:17 PM

That was shitty too!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #581 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:29 PM

Yes, I know. 

I have to play about 20 matches to get my 3 wins.  I'll have Ilum done far sooner than my win 3 quest. 

Gotcha, misread what you said.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: March 07, 2012, 07:09:56 AM

Ten Warzones is like, 3-4 hours in my experience. That's basically my entire evening play session.
That's three nights of gameplay for me.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: March 07, 2012, 11:00:23 AM

You guys need better premades if you are having problems winning.  :D  My group wins about 80% of our wz's.  But I do have one of the best pocket healers on the server.   awesome, for real
Raknor
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: March 07, 2012, 12:34:15 PM

And here I was hoping Ilum Nascar would go away.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: March 07, 2012, 02:00:15 PM

You guys need better premades if you are having problems winning. 

Does that mean that you're good or that the opponents are bad?  It's all perspective.

If I could get my guild mates to care about the pvp in SWTOR, I'd have it made.  They're all outstanding pvp players, they just don't see a reason to participate.  I can't really blame them.  They're all off playing ME3 for their shooter fix anyway.

-  Mark Twain
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: March 08, 2012, 04:42:39 AM

Id rather lose 50% of the night pugging and actually have fun and challenging warzones then premade it and win 100% with no challenge.  It sucks that I hit a wall last night...got level 43 on my scoundrel and im capped on valor rank...meh. 
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #587 on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:45 PM

feh
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:23:17 PM by Soln »
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: March 11, 2012, 05:58:38 AM

And here I was hoping Ilum Nascar would go away.

The term on our server was Ilum 500.  Obviously Indycar > nascar.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:29 PM

In all the MMO's I've Pee Vee Pee'd in, I don't think there is anything quite as demoralizing as watching your own ball carrier in huttball, go the wrong way.

There are tons of ways to screw up in huttball, but none are as direct and easily avoided as going the wrong way.

When I say wrong way, I don't mean the don't take the correct bridge, or fail to sprint or jump or whatever. I mean they decided, that yes, this ball belongs in our own teams endzone, on our half of the field, in front of our rez point.

There isn't a damn thing you can do to fix it either, short of letting the other team kill him and score.

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: March 21, 2014, 02:40:12 AM

I know, it's great!  why so serious?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #591 on: March 21, 2014, 04:11:53 AM

In all the MMO's I've Pee Vee Pee'd in, I don't think there is anything quite as demoralizing as watching your own ball carrier in huttball, go the wrong way.

There are tons of ways to screw up in huttball, but none are as direct and easily avoided as going the wrong way.

When I say wrong way, I don't mean the don't take the correct bridge, or fail to sprint or jump or whatever. I mean they decided, that yes, this ball belongs in our own teams endzone, on our half of the field, in front of our rez point.

There isn't a damn thing you can do to fix it either, short of letting the other team kill him and score.

Oh yes, that and the ball carrier not even realising they have the ball. Add to that the frustration of having your entire team, minus one, pointing out the mistake in chat 'YOU HAVE THE BALL XYZ, YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!' only to be ignored.

Bonus points if/when they carry the ball to the goal line for the opposing team. Happened just the other day - half the team immediately left the warzone.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: March 21, 2014, 06:54:38 AM

Sounds like a votekick situation, as much as I usually hate those.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: March 21, 2014, 09:52:01 AM

The text that comes up when you get the ball that says "Take the ball to the GOLD/PURPLE side" in caps + the fact that half the board is decorated as gold and the other half purple still isnt enough for some people to avoid that walk of shame to the wrong end.  I love it when this happens so I can send them tells about how f*cking stupid they are..good times
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: March 21, 2014, 12:53:48 PM

The text that comes up when you get the ball that says "Take the ball to the GOLD/PURPLE side" in caps + the fact that half the board is decorated as gold and the other half purple still isnt enough for some people to avoid that walk of shame to the wrong end.  I love it when this happens so I can send them tells about how f*cking stupid they are..good times

That just makes you an asshole.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Frogdogs score!  
Jump to: