Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun. [Trooper/BH Mechanics] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun. [Trooper/BH Mechanics]  (Read 108959 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 05, 2012, 08:50:21 AM

The talented skills not having "ranks" is a feature. They gain damage as you level, unlike ranked skills. I'd actually far prefer if all skills behaved that way because fuck those hell levels right before all your damage skills upgrade.

I'm failing to find the math right now, but I saw some pretty convincing stuff during the beta on the 31 point tank talent giving you some serious staying power in longer fights. It doesn't seem that great, but it's essentially a regen talent in disguise. Sort of like how Scoundrel's diagnostic scan seems absolutely terrible until you do the rotation math and it improves your healing output by some crazy amount by being a regen boost.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #176 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:38 AM

It's really nice when you're skating the edge of good regen and have to suddenly do something that jumps the heat level, which slows dissipation. Pop the Flame Blast and it's usually enough, combined with dissipation during GCD, to get you back into the green zone of fast dissipation. I'd rather have it than not and use it enough that I'd miss it right away. Kind of like the 'next ability costs 0 heat' ability...I almost never use it until it's really useful and then I'd hate not having it.

I've found that heat dissipation can get really punitive really fast. If I get up in over 50% range with my heat vents on CD....I'm screwed for a significant portion of the fight trying to get heat levels back under control.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 05, 2012, 11:11:06 AM

Stacking Shield Rating, then Absorb, is the way to go yes. There's a reason our tanking trees are called Shield Tech/Spec  why so serious?

Between talents and a little gear, you'll easily get both Shield Chance and Absorb amount into 40% and higher. I guessing 45-55% in real end game gear. That's a pretty ridiculous amount of damage reduction. Roughly half of all attacks will only hit you for half damage or whatever. Our defense chance will never compete with that and a simple dodge doesn't proc bonus ammo or stockstrikes. Vigilant enhancements will be your best friends ( http://www.torhead.com/search/Vigilant )

My Ion cell is working as advertised, are you confusing the DoT ticks with the direct damage proc? It does both if talented.

Like I said before, Heat/Energy Blast is required, if a bit lame. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but it's keeping you in the 4 pip range when you would otherwise drop down. It's an extra special attack every 15 seconds, that's actually kinda a big deal.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:53 AM

Stacking Shield Rating, then Absorb, is the way to go yes. There's a reason our tanking trees are called Shield Tech/Spec  why so serious?

Between talents and a little gear, you'll easily get both Shield Chance and Absorb amount into 40% and higher. I guessing 45-55% in real end game gear. That's a pretty ridiculous amount of damage reduction. Roughly half of all attacks will only hit you for half damage or whatever. Our defense chance will never compete with that and a simple dodge doesn't proc bonus ammo or stockstrikes. Vigilant enhancements will be your best friends ( http://www.torhead.com/search/Vigilant )

My Ion cell is working as advertised, are you confusing the DoT ticks with the direct damage proc? It does both if talented.

Like I said before, Heat/Energy Blast is required, if a bit lame. It doesn't look like much at first glance, but it's keeping you in the 4 pip range when you would otherwise drop down. It's an extra special attack every 15 seconds, that's actually kinda a big deal.

Nah, without the DoT talent, the tooltip says 100ish damage, the yellow number from doing nothing but autoattacking hits for 31 reliably. With the DoT talent, the DoT tics seem to work as advertised (about 17/tic at level 20ish)

I saw a few BH threads about the same thing. Basically it's either a bugged tooltip, a bugged rank or three, or mobs have some secret 75% Ion resistance that doesn't lower fire based damage.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:47 AM

Ion Cell is Energy damage, which is affected by armor, so yea, some mobs probably do have a huge resistance to it.  why so serious?

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 05, 2012, 12:05:19 PM

What's our hardest hitting ability? i ask because on my assassin i got the "2.5k damage on a single hit" medal every single warzone since level 10 and on my bh i have never once gotten it.  I just dinged 34 so i don't have any end of tree abilities yet.

I am the .00000001428%
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: January 05, 2012, 12:07:10 PM

Powertech or Mercenary?

Powertech it's probably going to be Rocket Punch. No idea for Merc.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:41 PM

Sorry, yeah powertech.  I have five pieces of orange gear with epic armoring and blue mod/enhancement and an orange weapon with epic barrel, all level 33, and i just can't get that medal. 

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #183 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:32 PM

Once talented it's probably rocket punch, but shoulder slam does more base, as does rail shot, according to TORhead.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:26 PM

Vigilant enhancements will be your best friends ( http://www.torhead.com/search/Vigilant )
I just got a blue vigilant (I think, it was +shield/absorb) as a quest reward last night. This is the leading reason I'm considering dropping armormech, the best I can make is +defense + absorb. Since you can only RE into defense/crit/power, armormech ironically sucks for powertanks. Given that I have scav at around 394 and UT at 360 or so...should be a quick transition. Really hate to lose a ton of dropped/gifted/bought recipes, but it doesn't make sense to keep a skill that won't make armor for myself. Alternative is to level up my IA alt's cybertech using mats from Komoto, I should finish out his prologue and get him going...

/ramble

As an addendum to my thoughts on Rail Shot, given the talk of damage types. It's weapon damage so if pvp or heavily armored foes are considerations, the flame-based elemental damage is probably preferable. Do squishy siths get elemental boosts significant enough to discourage stacking elemental damage for a pvp build? And then there's the IA/Smug's internal damage, which is probably why they lead the pvp charts  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: does anyone have good ways to set up Shoulder Slam? Is it only used after Electro Dart (60s CD!)? I was using Mako's channeled jolt to set it up then I got tired of dicking around with it and it moved to the periphery and hasn't been used since. Waste of an ability imo.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:18:38 PM by Sky »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #185 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:58 PM

Switching crafts will not really help you much, since currently the top crafted mods are level 49 and you can get better ones via dailies etc. right now. Making any long-term decisions on what craft you stick with based on what is *currently* available is probably not wise since they will change extensively I'm sure.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:30 PM

Other then universal damage reductions, the only other way that I know of to get internal/elemental resistance is the consular/inquisitor buff.

There are 3 different shield/absorb enhancements according to Torhead, Vigilant favors shield rating over absorb in the stat allotment. I haven't seen any armor mods or armor platings that have shield rating, but I have seen them with absorb, so that's why I suggest Vigilant.

As to rail shot, there is that talent that lets is bypass like 60% armor. Does that makes it better then a strict elemental/internal attack? No idea, come back to me when we have a proper combat log.  why so serious?

-fake edit-

Yea, Ing is right, don't go switching all willy nily right now.

-real edit-

Had to look up shoulder slam (trooper version is called Blitz). At 45+ you'll get a pbae stun on a 45 second reuse as a powertech, that lines up perfectly with should slam. You can also use it on trash mobs you drop a stick grenade on. The deal with Shoulder Slam, is it's free. It's basically another 'regen' ability disguised as an attack. Useful for burning down silvers faster, or for instantly detonating a stick grenade by exploding the trash mob.

The fact it doesn't work on bosses or in pvp is what makes it shitty.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:26:16 PM by Fordel »

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:53 PM

Ion Cell is Energy damage, which is affected by armor, so yea, some mobs probably do have a huge resistance to it.  why so serious?

Not 75%, unless they're basically saying "you should probably not do kin/energy damage.. ever"

It really just seems like a bugged tooltip.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: January 05, 2012, 01:17:19 PM

The fact it doesn't work on bosses or in pvp is what makes it shitty.
Yeah, that's the thing. Same reason I don't talent down the CD on Electro Dart, despite it being an ability I'd otherwise love. It is nice for champs when Quell is on CD, though.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #189 on: January 05, 2012, 03:04:43 PM

Edit: does anyone have good ways to set up Shoulder Slam? Is it only used after Electro Dart (60s CD!)? I was using Mako's channeled jolt to set it up then I got tired of dicking around with it and it moved to the periphery and hasn't been used since. Waste of an ability imo.

I like it a lot and try to use it fairly often becuase it's very high-damage but requires you to be on your toes.  /any/ incap lets you proc it when it's up. 

* Electro-dart is your easiest way of self-proccing but I found that elites are immune to the incap effect.   
* As you say Mako's shock lets you do it as well.
* The stun from unload also lets you do it, but it's kind of a waste on the mobs it stuns unless you're in deep shit and need that guy dead NOW.
* Any knock-down will also let you proc it.  Missile Blast, Expolsive dart, jedi knock-backs, etc. 

When you look at actual tanking with mobs up, yeah it's a waste.  So many of the instance mobs are strong or higher, meaning I've found most to be immune to the small stuns.    I think the best bet will be to use it as a CC-breaker for an initial high-aggro high-damage hit.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:52 PM

Can you get a full orange set of the black talon armor? or at least close enough that it matches the chest?

I am the .00000001428%
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #191 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:55 PM

I really wish I would've known that I'd be forced to use specific companions at certain points in the story. Also I wish they would equip my companions better. Thankfully I'm in a gigantic guild and was able to score implants/earpieces/weapons for my new companion for free, but now I'm trying to grind out electrum to replace the shittastic armor they come with.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 18, 2012, 01:11:56 PM

I really wish I would've known that I'd be forced to use specific companions at certain points in the story. Also I wish they would equip my companions better. Thankfully I'm in a gigantic guild and was able to score implants/earpieces/weapons for my new companion for free, but now I'm trying to grind out electrum to replace the shittastic armor they come with.

I just basically accepted that I was going to solo that mission with a slight damage add  why so serious?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13:02 PM

End of the JK storyline is probably the worst offender (that I've heard of) in that regard, and I believe they made it easier this patch (or will in the next.)

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #194 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:54 AM

According to my guildmates the end of the JK storyline is actually nearly impossible. Or maybe "was" if they fixed it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:56 PM

So I've been fooling around with Elara, trying to squeeze as much DPS as I can out of her without sacrificing healing too much, mostly for solo daily quests and the like.

I've kitted her out with crit/surge/power gear, on the theory that she doesn't really use any cast times and accuracy isn't helping her healing any.

I put her in DPS stance and turn off her one cast time heal and her channeled CC. This leaves her with nothing but instants, both healing and DPS wise. The DPS stance also means her DoT will have 100% up time, as it lowers the CD of the DoT attack to line up with the duration of the DoT. Between that and the increase of time she spends attacking in general, since she isn't wasting any time casting her heal the second I take damage, I would wadger her DPS is increased by at least 50%.

Roughly 90% of the time her instant heals in DPS stance are more then enough to keep me at near full health, the other 10% I can just pop a medpack. With the added bonus of being able to turn her casted heal and medic stance back on with a couple of clicks.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: January 24, 2012, 01:47:34 PM

According to my guildmates the end of the JK storyline is actually nearly impossible. Or maybe "was" if they fixed it.

Not that anyone wants it, but I'll contribute my opinion in a few days.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 24, 2012, 03:33:28 PM

It was extremely difficult. I could see how I could eventually get it if I did everything *just right* but I elected to just bring someone to help instead. They've said they are fixing it, it might have already been done in 1.1.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 14, 2012, 11:26:16 PM

So my love of all things Trooper related continues, and I've been fooling around on a lowbie Commando. Like really lowbie, level 17 now  why so serious? .

So looking to the future, I was thinking of this spec : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bczzZMIkrRrdokczZb.1 but I have one point left and I can't decide if it's better to max out First Responder to ensure that extra haste proc, or if I should max out steady hands, to prevent healing pushback.

I can make cases for both in theory, but I don't know what a top end gunnery commandos crit rate is like, or how often I'll be healing while being attacked in practice.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 15, 2012, 01:29:58 AM

From a PvE perspective you should be fine with just one point in First Responder, but I don't know how much of a drop in Crit you'd run into in PvP gear. 

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:24 PM

Yea exactly.

I guess I can just count up the crit on the PvP suit and see.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:01 AM

she isn't wasting any time casting her heal the second I take damage  awesome, for real
This one is interesting.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun. [Trooper/BH Mechanics]  
Jump to: