Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3  (Read 345197 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: October 11, 2011, 10:55:37 AM

Searched and didn't see a thread, figured I'd start one up with all the new info about multiplayer. Stolen from Bioware forums:

So basically - four player co-op missions, persistent duder you create yourself and unlock and level and such. It contributes to your 'Galactic Readiness' level, which is some stat that also affects single player? But it's not required to get the best ending in single player, as you can increase the 'Galactic Readiness' there as well, along with "other platforms" (guessing Facebook or mobile games).

I don't see this hurting the core game at all in my eyes. I enjoy some good co-op shootin'.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:58 AM

Yeah a lot of our ME3 blather happened in the ME2 thread.

I am utterly indifferent to the multiplayer part. It's sort of funny, really.

God Save the Horn Players
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:37:28 PM

I think the fact that it's a PC franchise as well helps me be more interested in multiplayer offerings.

For Uncharted, I was (and continue to be) perfectly happy not playing the multiplayer, just because I'm not a fan of the console shooter control schemes. It's a single-player game in my eyes, which I'm sure mirrors how people feel about Mass Effect.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 02:41:59 PM

The multi seems.. I dunno. We'll see how it turns out.

But if they fucked up combat from ME2.. HEAVEN HELP THEM.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:43:51 PM

Non, your avatar  ACK!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:55:22 PM

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:33 AM

Why only 4 player co-op?

We have always maintained that we would only add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense and did not compromise the power of the single player campaign.

add multiplayer into the Mass Effect series if it made sense

made sense

No, it really doesn't.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 03:13:59 AM

It's a co-op mode featuring characters other than Shepard and co., forming " an elite Special Forces squad, and combine their weapons, powers and abilities to devastating effect as they fight together to liberate key territories from enemy control".  Seems to make sense in the context of the setting and what's going on in the time frame of this game, and while I'm not a huge fan of Vs. multiplayer getting shoehorned into a game, I don't really have an issue with more games having some form of co-op.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:52:47 AM

Why not just close out the trilogy without wasting resources on a dumb niche idea?

Then add the dumb niche idea to the next franchise/trilogy/thing.

Fucking bullet points.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:25:28 AM

If multiplayer doesn't involve the characters and story of ME, aren't you just left with a terrible third person cover based shooter?

I'm not against it as a novelty but seems a bit of a wasted effort.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:20 AM

Also, 'not required for best ending' is one thing, but there are a number of people IN THIS THREAD who will be psychologically compelled to achieve maximum readiness before completing the game just in case it unlocks an extra line of dialog.

Developers never consider their impact on the mentally disturbed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:18:22 AM

I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a mod or something that will allow us to completely bypass the multiplayer thing if we want to, and still achieve maximum readiness.  But if it's done in an interesting manner, the multiplayer might be worthwhile, even speaking as someone who historically has almost never played multiplayer outside an MMO.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 11:15:46 AM

Also, 'not required for best ending' is one thing, but there are a number of people IN THIS THREAD who will be psychologically compelled to achieve maximum readiness before completing the game just in case it unlocks an extra line of dialog.

Developers never consider their impact on the mentally disturbed.

It sounded to me like you could achieve maximum readiness without using the co-op.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 11:46:59 AM

If multiplayer doesn't involve the characters and story of ME, aren't you just left with a terrible third person cover based shooter?

Supposedly you can play a krogan, though.

(or a Salarian. just imagine the number of assholes yelling to hold the line)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:51:55 AM by tmp »
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:55 PM

If it's fun and adds to the product, I'm all for that.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 01:29:12 PM

Supposedly you can play a krogan, though.

You are making me seriously consider an exception to my usual policy of 'fuck games not on steam' just so I can do this.

cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 01:46:35 PM

We call those people cloacas.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 03:53:09 PM

You create a custom character and pick race and class for multiplayer.

Races are Human, Krogan, Asari, Drell, Salarian and Turian. Classes are same as single-player.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:06 PM

Salarians better fucking have the option to sing "Scientist Salarian."

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:32 PM

Salarians better fucking have the option to sing "Scientist Salarian."
Fairly sure there will be plenty salarians singing it whether there's a button for it or not. ACK!

Also, expecting the asari to come with zipper level customization option -- half down, navel gazing, embrace the eternity.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:55:00 PM by tmp »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:37 PM

I've been practicing already!

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:54 PM

Why stop there, Laidlaw, time for another DA2 DLC!

Rogues, Warriors, Mages, which is better and why!
Choose from between five races and multiple character specs to determine the very best in Dragon Age 2: Battlefield DLC!
Order now and play as a Mabari Hound.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 08:01:46 PM

I think they're saving it for DA3. Mages vs Templars in Thedas at War.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 08:16:34 PM

Hmm some multiplayer details

The multiplayer experience boils down to a four player co-op survival  style mode that lets you fight increasingly difficult waves of Cerberus foes.

well, so much for that.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:36 PM

So literally holding the line!

tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:22 PM

So literally holding the line!
Yup. Too bad it's against faction which, if i never saw it again, it would be too soon.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:39 PM

They can't do deep multi-player on just box sale revenues. But if they combine this approach with DLC multi-player content it could be pretty lucrative considering most of the expensive resources are funded by the single-player box sales. Effectively approaching something like SWTOR from a different direction (the story is single-player, but some of the fights are multi-player).

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 06:12:57 AM

They can't do deep multi-player on just box sale revenues. But if they combine this approach with DLC multi-player content it could be pretty lucrative considering most of the expensive resources are funded by the single-player box sales. Effectively approaching something like SWTOR from a different direction (the story is single-player, but some of the fights are multi-player).

Holy hell, you've just struck GOLD.

Single player ME3...but to get the good gear and finish story lines you need to RAID in multiplayer (DLC)!

GOLD.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 08:59:27 AM

Hmm some multiplayer details

The multiplayer experience boils down to a four player co-op survival  style mode that lets you fight increasingly difficult waves of Cerberus foes.

well, so much for that.

So I guess that's a bit of a fucking spoiler, eh?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 01:20:27 PM

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned in multiple interviews that Cerberus hates you again. They just haven't said why that would be (paragon ending seems obvious, renegade not so much).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:59 PM

Illusive Man has been buying his cigarettes from Tobacco Reapers Inc. and was indoctrinated over the course of ME2, of course.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:33 PM

I'm pretty sure they've mentioned in multiple interviews that Cerberus hates you again. They just haven't said why that would be (paragon ending seems obvious, renegade not so much).
That's not a problem. If you had the renegade ending last time around, Cerberus does something retarded and over-the-top evil in the first ten minutes of the game (which wouldn't be the least bit surprising given their background) and your dialogue options include three different shades of "I hate you guys now and am going it on my own."

Just like the way that even paragon Shep was suddenly so willing to forgive Cerberus at the beginning of ME2.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 03:46:35 PM

Yeah, Cerberus fucking up is almost certainly going to be it, because Cerberus is all about fucking up.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:20 PM

They're like WoW's trolls.

"This sounds like a horrible idea and could backfire really bad.  Didn't we try something like this before and have it really bite us in the ass?  LET'S DO IT!"

-Rasix
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 05:51:46 PM

That's not a problem. If you had the renegade ending last time around, Cerberus does something retarded and over-the-top evil in the first ten minutes of the game (which wouldn't be the least bit surprising given their background) and your dialogue options include three different shades of "I hate you guys now and am going it on my own."
Even easier, since the renegade ending has you keep the reaper base, it can be the Indoctrination ex machina.

The first 10 minutes of the game is going to be different and tied to that last DLC, from what they've announced.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Mass Effect 3  
Jump to: