Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:32:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 75851 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: August 07, 2012, 06:15:37 PM

I would kill for a Whedon helmed "Runaways" show.

This. Brian K. Vaughn and ABC are pretty tight; it'd be a fantastic combination - both Runaways writers (Vaughn himself said that Whedon's short stint on Runaways contained stuff he'd never even dreamed of) and a channel that probably won't fuck Whedon around. Plus the best place to start serialising Marvel's wider universe and the opportunity to find some next generation acting talent.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: August 07, 2012, 07:08:23 PM

An Avengers TV show is pretty great actually.  I know they will have a TV budget, but you can still do a lot with some Not Ready For Prime Time Avengers.  Like Matt said, would be a great way to expand the Marvel Movieverse and you might even be able to get a movie Avenger to guest star. 

Or the Shield idea would be pretty good, you'd follow the agents and the Avengers show up as backup.  I'm thinking of Kurt Busiek with Astro City style. 

I've dug out my old Avengers comics, time to do some reading! 
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:50 PM

I don't know if he can pull it off, since it's not his usual style, but in my opinion the Avengers show really needs to be all about Shield. Heck, have it be "Monster of the week" where they go to a) recruit new Avengers or b) stop some threat that isn't a big enough deal for the Avengers but is still a danger.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #388 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:34 AM

The good thing about Whedon doing a show for "Not-Fox" is that after the ginormous success of Avengers, the network WILL NOT FUCK WITH HIM. He can probably do just about anything he wants to do since Disney owns ABC and does not want to lose their golden boy from the movie studio side.

Adam Baldwin would have made a great Nick Fury, IMO, but that ship has sailed. He'd be a good Hercules or Wonder Man, a good War Machine or US Agent, or even Ares if they go with the later Avengers lineups.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: August 08, 2012, 09:26:41 AM

I don't know if he can pull it off, since it's not his usual style, but in my opinion the Avengers show really needs to be all about Shield. Heck, have it be "Monster of the week" where they go to a) recruit new Avengers or b) stop some threat that isn't a big enough deal for the Avengers but is still a danger.
I think he can.  His super hero stuff is great.  Loved his run on X-Men.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: August 08, 2012, 11:27:57 AM

I agree. But to my mind a Shield series would be closer to something like Alias than his normal stuff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: August 08, 2012, 12:32:57 PM

I worry about a Whedon "Shield" series. The last time he involved a "secret government agency" that is involved with weird stuff... it was one of the weakest seasons of Buffy.

beer geek.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #392 on: August 08, 2012, 06:23:43 PM

I worry about a Whedon "Shield" series. The last time he involved a "secret government agency" that is involved with weird stuff... it was one of the weakest seasons of Buffy.
I think that had more to do with trying to transition from "Dawson's Creek with Vampires" to the "X-Files as Supernatural Soap Opera" of seasons 5-7.  And I'm not sure how much control he had of the writing staff at that point (I seem to recall scuttlebutt to the effect that the poor showing in Season 4 was why he got more control later).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: August 08, 2012, 09:16:46 PM

I really hope they go with Damage Control instead. It could work beautifully.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #394 on: August 09, 2012, 04:27:05 AM

And here I was thinking sickrubik was making a joke about Dollhouse.  (No, I don't like Buffy)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:15 AM

And here I was thinking sickrubik was making a joke about Dollhouse.  (No, I don't like Buffy)

No, just about this fucking guy.

beer geek.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: October 04, 2012, 08:14:12 AM

Bought this and watched it on Saturday night.  I was bored.  I collected early Avengers comics in the silver age and this movie didn't live up to any of it.   I think the individual movies (Thor, Iron Man I & II, Captain America) were all better. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:57 PM

This sounds like it's for you then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDajL441mZc

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
WayAbvPar

Reply #398 on: October 04, 2012, 04:27:52 PM

Bought this and watched it on Saturday night.  I was bored.  I collected early Avengers comics in the silver age and this movie didn't live up to any of it.   I think the individual movies (Thor, Iron Man I & II, Captain America) were all better. 

I hated Thor. Captain America was ok, the 2 Hulks were ok, and I loved both IMs. I loved the Avengers. I did miss the origin story stuff, but the interactions with all the different heroes made up for it. It had several funny moments that really made it shine too, at least for me. I liked Ruffalo as BB too. Strange, since I vastly prefer Ed Norton in pretty much anything else.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:00 AM

Yep.  I could have written that.

I need to check their other trailers!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #400 on: October 08, 2012, 12:06:15 AM

Yes agreed on Shield focus. I actually like the part when the Avengers start doubting Shield motives. Otherwise the rest of the movie is meh. It was 'AWESOME' after 'AWESOME' moments for each character - like a montage of sorts.

They could just play AMERICA FUCK YEAH to replace the epic scores and it wouldn't be out of place.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: October 08, 2012, 01:59:51 AM

Also, Russian and Alien.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: October 08, 2012, 08:11:47 AM

Yes agreed on Shield focus. I actually like the part when the Avengers start doubting Shield motives. Otherwise the rest of the movie is meh. It was 'AWESOME' after 'AWESOME' moments for each character - like a montage of sorts.

Now that I've had a chance to watch and think about this some more, that scene (Banner, Stark, and Cap in the lab) is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Stark and Banner both have their suspicions, and while Steve Rogers isn't in their league, he's also no dummy. Once the seed is planted, he goes off and does his own investigation of "Phase 2". That scene (prior to Rogers' exit) also had a minimum of Whedon-dreck in the dialogue. It's an important scene, since it sets things up for later, and you can tell that they worked till they got it right.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:31 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

If you don't like Captain America, you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

I know this movie has been discussed to death, but after re-watching it I think people are looking at the Hulk wrong. It's not that his control at the end needed to be explained, but his loss of control on the carrier that does (and I think was, but whatevs). For most of the movie he's Banner and he has Hulk on lockdown, even though IMO there's a lot of edge to him (most notably with Natasha in India, and again on the carrier). The aberration is this version of Banner losing control like that (due to injury or Loki's staff; my money is the staff since he grabbed it unconsciously)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:50 AM

I'm pretty sure the staff was influencing all of them.  That was part of Loki's plan.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: October 23, 2012, 10:58:58 AM

The staff had the mind gem. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

And also covered earlier in the discussion too.

beer geek.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:57 AM

It was still a really bad plan.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #408 on: October 24, 2012, 06:35:48 PM

The narrative of "The Avengers" was pretty bad. It was a film that prospered by ignoring making sense and focusing on the Rule of Cool.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:34 PM

The narrative of "The Avengers" was pretty bad. It was a film that prospered by ignoring making sense and focusing on the Rule of Cool.

It's hard to give a shit when Hulk punches out a giant space whale.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: October 24, 2012, 10:43:19 PM

So yeah, the Avengers Show is going to be about SHIELD, starring Agent Coulson.

http://marvel.com/news/story/19553/nycc_2012_coulson_lives_in_marvels_shield.

And also yeah, the whole Avengers movie was about Loki winning for two and a half hours.

http://maskofreason.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/very-good-writing-why-loki-won-in-the-avengers/

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers  
Jump to: