Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Avengers  (Read 75246 times)
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:39 PM

I actually like they gave the hulk body hair.

It's a great touch that gives him a deal more texture, character and presence. He feels so much more real than the previous 2 attempts, because he's not just green and strangely shiny. Or being drenched in babyoil (that bizarre rain scene in LeTerrier's Incredible Hulk). That he recognizably looks like Rufalo is massively important in getting us on his side, too. Neither Norton nor Bana's Hulks looked remotely like their human counterparts, they were just big green CG monsters. Rufalo's Hulk is still Rufalo.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #351 on: May 10, 2012, 05:26:30 PM

This thread needs more "Hulk . . . smash."

Well played, sir. Repost your avatar as my gif response.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:21 PM

In defence of Sams point, even Starks fucking DAD used robotic arms when he was playing with the tesseract.

See;  Captain America:  The First Avenger.

We're talking about Tony Stark and Bruce Banner - both shown in previous movies to have a general "fuck it, I'll just test this on myself" attitude.
Just caught the leadup scene to that, and it pretty much answers itself:

CAP: We could start by checking out Loki's staff, it seems to be powered by the cube.
FURY: Blah blah, good idea, see if you can find out how Loki used it to turn some of my peeps into his personal flying monkeys.
THOR: Monkies?
CAP: Hey, a pop culture reference I get!
STARK to BANNER: Sounds like fun.  Shall we play, doc? [Stark and Banner exit stage left]

That was pretty much Stark's line verbatim.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #353 on: May 11, 2012, 08:23:35 AM

Did we see them doing anything with the staff toward that end after that?  I'm remembering that scene now but the dots aren't connecting with anything that happened later.  I'll probably see it again myself at some point...

So Loki's plan wasn't so much to get captured HIMSELF as to get them to study the staff because he knew they'd fuck it up and fall under its spell and also let it send out a homing signal for Hawkeye to trace... and he knew that would work because he was using the Dark Side to cloud everyone's minds.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:25:10 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:48 AM

There is no "dark side" stuff other than some of his basic powers stuff and the staff being the problem for them (and specifically the gem).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:07:49 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: May 11, 2012, 11:26:26 AM

I can fish you out...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: May 11, 2012, 11:29:04 AM

Yes. Yes. Okay, I'm stopping.

beer geek.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: May 12, 2012, 12:56:39 PM

Became my movie of the year when Loki called Black Widow a "Mewling quim".

I was the only one that cheered.

awesome, for real

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: May 12, 2012, 02:48:19 PM

I'm glad that stupid air-aircraft carrier is in the comics, I wasn't aware of that and it annoyed me more than anything else in the movie.

(Nextwave is still the best comic Marvel have done in a decade or more).

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: May 12, 2012, 03:11:15 PM

The movie was ok, but not great.  I agree with others that the Helicarrier stuff was dumb.  There is something that bothers me more than that.  Starkman.  Starkman is powerful enough to stand against Thor, super smart about everything, hacks SHIELD, stops the missle, gets the self sacrifice shot, saves the helicarrier, gets the bore through enemy shot AND delivers the speech to Loki.  That last one was simply terrible.  ANY OTHER CHARACTER would have been a better choice.  Cap/Hawkeye/Widow could have talked about the human spirit.  Thor could have said there was more to humans than Loki was willing to admit.  Samuel L Jackson could have yelled get the fuck off my planet.  Hell, even the HULK could have said you should not make us angry! (and then punched him).  Instead, we got Starkman delivering 'clever' dialogue in a method that is so idiotic it is normally reserved for super villain gloat speeches.  

I am not a huge fan of the direction the Iron Man movies took the character but they were ok themselves.  In Avengers you have Starkman outdoing and overshadowing other characters, crowding out their reason for existing.  We need about 50-60% less Starkman and maybe we can get to know other characters better (like widow, hawkeye or the new hulk).  With the direction this movie was heading Starkman did not need any of the others at all, just have a bunch of armor suits run around and do the rest of the work.  
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: May 12, 2012, 05:47:19 PM

Agent Coulson gave Loki the good guy speech(brief though it was), not Stark.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: May 12, 2012, 06:45:31 PM

I am not a huge fan of the direction the Iron Man movies took the character but they were ok themselves.  In Avengers you have Starkman outdoing and overshadowing other characters, crowding out their reason for existing.  We need about 50-60% less Starkman and maybe we can get to know other characters better (like widow, hawkeye or the new hulk).  With the direction this movie was heading Starkman did not need any of the others at all, just have a bunch of armor suits run around and do the rest of the work.  
From what I recall of my last foray into marvel comics (Back during the Civil War arcs), this was pretty much the way the comics had been taking Stark for quite a while.  The guy was becoming a rediculously OP Techno-sue, who's technology allowed him to come up with an answer to damn near every single problem the marvel universe could throw at him with only a little bit of thinly veiled plot handwaving.  I mean, at one point they had contrived to have him neutralize Spiderman by getting Parker on his side, having parker wear a Stark Brand spidy suit, and then later revealing that the suit had been analyzing Parker and now Stark knew everything about his capabilities, right down to how his Spidy Sense worked and how to neutralize it....

Stark is sort of like a hybrid of Batman / Superman for the marvel universe.  If he ever goes off the deep end, pretty much nothing short of every hero on the planet ganging up on him is going to stop him.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: May 12, 2012, 06:49:42 PM

I am referring to the speech just before invasion where Stark takes off his armor to 'threaten' Loki.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: May 12, 2012, 06:56:57 PM

I am referring to the speech just before invasion where Stark takes off his armor to 'threaten' Loki.
Which is pretty much a textbook example of how Stark would usually act in the comics, so I don't really think most people were overly concerned.  I mean, Stark doing the whole "spirit of humanity" speach or whatnot at that time would pretty much have ended with Loki laughing in his face anyway, as per his comment "are you going to appeal to my humanity" at the beginning of that scene, since it would have been tantamount to the same thing in Loki's eyes. 

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #364 on: May 12, 2012, 11:38:45 PM

He was stalling so the mark vii would be completed.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: May 13, 2012, 02:36:23 AM

Yeah, it was sure handy he designed a suit of armor that saved him specifically from being thrown through windows just as Loki decided to throw him through a window !

I was worried on that one !!

Ohhhhh, I see.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: May 13, 2012, 03:26:48 AM

I did a bit of an eyeroll at that myself but hey.  As for IM taking over the movie, just imagine Batman's role in a JLA movie.  Even Superman would be fetching the bat-slippers.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #367 on: May 13, 2012, 10:26:37 AM

Yeah, it was sure handy he designed a suit of armor that saved him specifically from being thrown through windows just as Loki decided to throw him through a window !

I was worried on that one !!

Ohhhhh, I see.
That's what the bracelets were for.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #368 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:20 AM

Er, yeah.  I know.  'Cause it was obvious the way the lasers locked onto them and then swaddled him in the suit.

But it was just yet another 'How can we make a cool way to get Iron Man into the suit' after all the other ones we've had.  Hell, you just know they're creaming their jeans at putting him in the armor that pops out of his bones.  That'll get the punters hard.

It was a lame way to introduce the suit, that's all.  'This is the Mark 8.  It saves me from falling death.  OOoops, I tripped.'

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: May 13, 2012, 02:48:23 PM

Much lamer would be if he just had nanomachines in his bones that came out of him to make the suit...... Ohhhhh, I see.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #370 on: May 14, 2012, 11:21:38 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #371 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:01 AM

awesome, for real

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: May 14, 2012, 02:07:20 PM

It's thor's version of teabagging.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #373 on: May 14, 2012, 02:41:22 PM

That's ingenious and truly hilarious at the same time.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:05 PM

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: May 16, 2012, 05:38:30 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #376 on: May 26, 2012, 04:19:08 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: May 27, 2012, 12:12:58 AM

Heart

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:02 AM

Rumor: Avengers directors cut had another 35 min of footage.

Just a rumor, but damn. The theatrical release is already 2 1/2 hours. Was there another Avenger, or something?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: June 13, 2012, 07:24:14 AM

Eddie.  He lived under the sink.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #380 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:38 PM

Joss Whedon to Direct Avengers sequel and develop TV show for ABC

Welp, there you go. Of course we get a sequel and Whedon is directing it (because after over $1 billion are you really going to NOT hand him a blank check?). He's also doing an Avengers related TV show that won't be the same characters, but may be a SHIELD show concerned with supers in some way.

I'm down.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: August 07, 2012, 02:49:43 PM

I would kill for a Whedon helmed "Runaways" show.

beer geek.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: August 07, 2012, 02:51:19 PM

So I wonder how many of the Whedonverse actors will get put on that Avengers show.  I'd like to see Adam Baldwin at least get a role. 
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: August 07, 2012, 04:44:12 PM

Morena Baccarin=Scarlet Witch
Sarah Michelle Gellar-Ms. Marvel
James Caviezel=Vision
Summer "Showkiller" Glau=Moondragon
Adam Baldwin=Dum Dum Dugan?

Book it. Done.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #384 on: August 07, 2012, 05:36:46 PM

Pretty sure Caviezel's quite happy being on his #1 timeslot drama right now.

SMG doesn't have the.. assets to be Ms Marvel. ;)  (And at 34 is "too old" in today's Hollowood.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Avengers  
Jump to: