Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only  (Read 883405 times)
UnSub
Contributor

on: April 29, 2011, 02:43:03 AM

The first bits of actual news came out about the Marvel MMO today.

- The lead writer is Brian Michael Bendis. Andy Collins at Gazillion is the lead story designer.
 - It is going to be a F2P title.
 - You are going to play as existing Marvel characters, through previous Marvel events.
 - The current title has been in development for about 12 months and there are no release plans yet.

Well, it's different, I'll give it that.

MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:36:30 AM

I am wondering how they will handle the problem of 5000 wolverines.  Also if you play through official marvel events, will it feel like your being lead around?  Don't get me wrong I would love to see a series that I grew up with and collected done well.  For instance I think it would be totally cool to play as an Xmen through the Inferno saga.  However I can't imagine once the novelty has wore off how this game will not feel like your being led around in a dog and pony show instead of you taking an active role in shaping the "world."

Interesting none the less and your right sounds a lot more interesting then any other superhero MMOs I have seen offered.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:58:22 AM

I am wondering how they will handle the problem of 5000 wolverines. 
The same way they do in the comics.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:56:10 AM

I can't roll up my own toon?

If it wasn't F2P, this is the part where I'd make a snide remark about them not getting me to subscribe.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:58:48 AM

Super hero games suck.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:57:01 AM

Super hero games are awesome, this seems stupid.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57:55 AM

Perhaps the only interesting feature I remember from Champions Online was the character creator, which I spent roughly 10 times as much time on as playing the actual game.
This presumably doesn't have a character creator (beyond do you want to be Wolverine/Magneto) ... why is this an MMO?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:52:55 AM

- The lead writer is Brian Michael Bendis.
 - You are going to play as existing Marvel characters, through previous Marvel events.

Fail.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:59:36 AM

Prediction: heavily instanced.

I doubt that will surprise anyone here, though.  However, I can see the appeal of a F2P game where Marvel fans can relive cool moments from the canon.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:13:17 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 10:10:45 AM

However, I can see the appeal of a F2P game where Marvel fans can relive cool moments from the cannon.

Canon as re-written by Bendis!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

An interview at this event was conducted by Massively. The title is a long, long way off given how Gazillion didn't really want to talk about anything else because they want to "retain the ability to change [their] minds."

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:36:55 AM

This sounds a bit like the Marvel MMO they play in the actual comics. (See Runaways #1.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 04:36:47 PM

Why the fuck would I give a shit about the WRITER of an MMO? Too much, WAY too much emphasis on the importance of his role in the grand scheme.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 04:47:50 PM

Because it's based on a series of comics which are about the lore.

Not sure about this title. At least they're saying they'll try something different. But there's no information nor real pedigree to make anything but the most generic of replies... like this one! :)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 01:17:39 AM

Why the fuck would I give a shit about the WRITER of an MMO? Too much, WAY too much emphasis on the importance of his role in the grand scheme.

Gazillion wants the halo effect of having a 'real' Marvel writer attached to the project. DCUO had Jim Lee, Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman attached, which gave a lot of ammunition to fanbois saying how, "Lee, Johns and Wolfman would never let a bad MMO be made out of DC Comics".

It worked out well for DCUO... at least until the title launched.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:23:20 AM by UnSub »

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 01:35:38 PM

So, placating idiots with marketing drivel. Got'cha.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 08:08:52 PM

I am wondering how they will handle the problem of 5000 wolverines.

Haven't watched the video (90 minutes of auditorium echo?  Hell no.), but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up something like League of Legends, where you can earn currency and level up and so on but the actual hero you choose is non-persistent.  I don't really see how it would work levelling up an established superhero, given how static they are.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 08:14:07 PM

A superhero-themed DOTA clone would actually be pretty cool.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 08:38:34 AM

Given what a bang up job Gazillion did with the Super Hero Squad game, I'm not going to hold my breath for this to be anything other than a poorly executed money grab.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31:20 PM

poorly executed money grab.

That's Marvel for ya! awesome, for real

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:51 PM

Where's my No Prize?

See what you do is make all the Wolverines (and Spidermen, etc.) duel each other.  Who ever comes out on top each month is the 'real' Wolverine.  Also, you open an in-game store where you sell Wolverine upgrades and laugh manically as your Paypal account gains a couple of figures to the left of the decimal. 
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 11:48:36 PM

Marvel Heroes gets a trailer

It's a Diablo-esque F2P MMO. With lobbies. So like Gazillion's other titles, really.

It's a long article, but you can just skim it and tick off the buzzwords.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:57:18 AM

Sounds to me like you'll pick your heroes LoL style (get a bunch free but you can buy others or maybe buy more powerful versions of others) then run through dungeons/public areas that can have other people in them.

You can call it an MMO and it sort of is, but only in the sense that Diablo 3 is. I'll probably try it out but not too excited about it.

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 09:37:10 AM

Marvel Heroes gets a trailer

It's a Diablo-esque F2P MMO. With lobbies. So like Gazillion's other titles, really.

It's a long article, but you can just skim it and tick off the buzzwords.

OK, so Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man would have been in just about any trailer about a Marvel game.
But throw Black Widow and the Tesseract in there, and you've got some Avengers coattail riding. Good marketing.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 02:21:42 PM

Looks decent, I'd love a new MMO with the Diablo perspective (isometric right?  Brain dulled by work). 
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 10:46:59 AM

New article up at Massively.

Lots of words. The author got to play in a hands-on demo, and choose from Iron Man, Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, and Hulk.

The demo will be "playable" at the San Diego Comic-Con, i.e. this weekend.

Gazillion plans to do an open beta, but no date for that, or for the release, is announced.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 12:16:15 PM

I'd have to laugh if this turns out to be considered a better Diablo than D3.  Thought of in that mindset it makes static character choices no worse than with the Diablo series.  Stan Lee help me, it's starting to look interesting.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 06:16:32 AM

If it plays like that Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I'm so in.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 07:54:26 AM

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:10 PM

This.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:08 PM

Aww yeah.. Squirrel Girl is one of the characters.   awesome, for real
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51:28 PM

Squirrel Girl. Rocket Raccoon.

Did Marvel have some furries on staff at some point?

Not that there's anything wrong with that   why so serious?

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 06:30:27 PM

Aww yeah.. Squirrel Girl is one of the characters.   awesome, for real

Bad idea.  She's going to throw off the power curve for the rest of the characters.  Why even group up when Squirrel Girl can just solo everything?

Did Marvel have some furries on staff at some point?

C'mon, you remember the eighties and nineties, everything was like that.  If you weren't a TV show trying to copy the Ninja Turtles, you were a video game mascot character trying to out-attitude Sonic.  It was talking animals all over the place.  We're lucky Howard the goddamn Duck isn't in here.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

This.
And again. Also, it needs to be playable with a 360 controller.

I'm going to try and wash that comment off now.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:57 AM

OMGOMGOMG!  Squirrel Girl!  I don't need any other heroes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 07:30:09 AM

OMGOMGOMG!  Squirrel Girl!  I don't need any other heroes.
Do you need another way home?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Gazillion's Marvel MMO - F2P, Play as existing Marvel characters only  
Jump to: