Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  (Read 341547 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #980 on: March 13, 2019, 06:40:50 PM

CRV is a good car.

2015 Fit, 50k miles, $10k, have to decide quick because is looking to move it pronto. I trust they have taken good care of the car and done all maintenance at dealer as prescribed but I know nothing about the car itself but am in need...  man i hate cars

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #981 on: March 14, 2019, 03:27:57 AM

CRV is a good car.

2015 Fit, 50k miles, $10k, have to decide quick because is looking to move it pronto. I trust they have taken good care of the car and done all maintenance at dealer as prescribed but I know nothing about the car itself but am in need...  man i hate cars

If you hate cars, the Fit was built for you. Soulless driving experience, but overall a really remarkable car.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #982 on: March 14, 2019, 06:44:06 AM

Seriously look at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV if those are your criteria. Thing has four electric motors driving the wheels so it has quite a bit of pickup. It is a series hybrid as well, so the engine is there to charge the batteries, not take over driving when you get over 30 mph or whatever the prius does.

I pulled up the specs, my main question with plug in hybrids is do I have to rearrange my power situation in the garage? I'm in a 1965 house and I'm not sure the electrical would be good to go right off the bat.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #983 on: March 14, 2019, 07:33:59 AM

Many (most?) plug-in hybrids in the US can be charged using 120V, it just takes a lot longer.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: March 14, 2019, 11:56:31 AM

Seriously look at the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV if those are your criteria. Thing has four electric motors driving the wheels so it has quite a bit of pickup. It is a series hybrid as well, so the engine is there to charge the batteries, not take over driving when you get over 30 mph or whatever the prius does.

I pulled up the specs, my main question with plug in hybrids is do I have to rearrange my power situation in the garage? I'm in a 1965 house and I'm not sure the electrical would be good to go right off the bat.

The charger that comes with the car is a standard 110V plug. You can purchase one that uses 220v if you want for 4hour rather than 8 hour full charge which will likely need an electrician.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #985 on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:35 PM

The charger that comes with the car is a standard 110V plug. You can purchase one that uses 220v if you want for 4hour rather than 8 hour full charge which will likely need an electrician.

I took intro to EE, I'm pretty sure all you need to do is hook up two cables in serial to get the voltages to stack up.

why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:00 PM

Don't forget a couple capacitors.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #987 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:40 PM

I wouldn't get too hung up on Gas mileage.  When you do out the math out it's not that much of a savings.

So much agreement.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: April 01, 2019, 01:48:48 AM

No idea where else to put this:

I've been reading up on EVs a bit as I'd really like to make the switch sooner rather than later and while there's some decent small-family cars available at kinda-affordable prizes (Leaf, Kona, Niro), the upcoming VW ID line really starts to grow on me. Especially the ID Neo - a Golf sized EV which will debut the ID line in 2020.
VW seems to really go all in on EVs, spending upwards of 150 billion euros (~100 billion on battery technology, manufacturing and parts alone) in their factories to convert them to EV factories. They are designed from scratch as EVs and not converted ICEs so you get the longer wheelbases and with it more and "smarter" available space. They went and developed their own EV base kit similar to the MQB - the MEB. There's already been other EVs announced from VW partners based on the MEB (Seat and Skoda).
The cars are equally prized to their ICE counterparts, so the Neo will cost as much as the Diesel equivalent Golf.
They're offering over-the-air software updates with autopilot features and updates promised for multiple components of the ID range which addresses one of the most frustrating things for me about (modern) cars that you're either voiding warranty or running on 5+ years old firmware on everything.

I really think the ID Neo will be my next car but more importantly, I think VW will be the first manufacturer that will be able to offer EVs that are primary vehicles and not 2nd or 3rd cars "for the masses" and be able to both price them accordingly and also build enough of them.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #989 on: April 01, 2019, 09:13:51 AM

Those look pretty nice.  Wonder how hard it'll be to get em in the US?

I keep contemplating a Golf as my next vehicle since EVs seem to be taking their sweet time on affordability, but if there's an EV version that costs about the same that makes it an easier decision.  At this point it pretty much comes down to how much longer my Civic continues to run without requiring a major repair.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: April 01, 2019, 10:51:48 AM

Until they get a flash charging option, I'm not in on EVs just yet. Ranges are going up which is great, but they are still hampered by the charge times.

I take public transit 80% of the time so I'm not dependent on a car to get to and from work or even a night out. My driving primarily consists of going to my mother's ~160miles and my inlaws ~240 miles. The drive 150miles and have to take hours to get going again is a no go for me. Daily commuter car? It's a great option for those that need it.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #991 on: April 01, 2019, 11:23:55 AM

The article I just read on the VW EVs said that a properly equipped charging station can top em up in about fifteen minutes.  I haven't been following these things very closely, but reading around a bit it looks like there's been a general trend toward EV batteries being engineered to handle much higher power transfer loads.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #992 on: April 01, 2019, 11:50:42 AM

Until they get a flash charging option, I'm not in on EVs just yet. Ranges are going up which is great, but they are still hampered by the charge times.

I take public transit 80% of the time so I'm not dependent on a car to get to and from work or even a night out. My driving primarily consists of going to my mother's ~160miles and my inlaws ~240 miles. The drive 150miles and have to take hours to get going again is a no go for me. Daily commuter car? It's a great option for those that need it.
Uh, if those miles are the roundtrip miles a Telsa can easily take you to and from your mother's place and probably your inlaws' as well (depends on terrain). If those are one-way distances a Telsa can still do it if there are Supercharger stations along the way and it wouldn't add too much time to the travel time in absolute terms (takes ~20 minutes for 50% charge, and even faster chargers are coming).
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: April 01, 2019, 12:02:22 PM

If I could afford a Volt, I'd have one. EVs are pretty nifty.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: April 01, 2019, 12:57:45 PM

Uh, if those miles are the roundtrip miles a Telsa can easily take you to and from your mother's place and probably your inlaws' as well (depends on terrain). If those are one-way distances a Telsa can still do it if there are Supercharger stations along the way and it wouldn't add too much time to the travel time in absolute terms (takes ~20 minutes for 50% charge, and even faster chargers are coming).

Sorry, to be clear that is one-way.

20 minutes is still a deal breaker for me. Under 10 would probably get me to look more closely but that would include availability of those charging stations which I am sure will come with a hefty premium to be in that club.  Otherwise I see the dregs of society like me being seated at the 1 hour for 50% charging. 

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #995 on: April 01, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Unless you're driving 240 miles for lunch and then immediately back again, I'd think you could find a spot to plug in to juice up for the return trip.  At least that's been my thinking.  One of my requirements for an EV is that it needs to support trips to Tahoe and back, but since I can assume overnight access to at least a wall outlet anyplace that I'd be staying, that only means that it needs to have a range better than the ~200mi one-way trip.  For a longer trip (e.g. down to LA) there are tons of charging stations and on a drive that long I need a stretch break anyway.

I'll be researching this stuff in more depth if I ever get closer to pulling the trigger on one of these things, but I think the current tech already meets my needs so it's mostly a matter of when the prices come down.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:39:49 PM by Samwise »

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: April 01, 2019, 02:05:34 PM

20 minutes is still a deal breaker for me.

You know, I get that. You want to get from A to B, and as fast and direct as possible. That's what individual mobility is about - or has been now for the better part of a century. I was the same way until a back injury forced me to stop on longer road trips every ~2 hours for some stretching etc. That completely took away the "gotta get there" anxiety, I even started actually obeying the speed limits because I was much more relaxed and it made for a much more relaxed driving experience.
That makes me a lot more comfortable with the idea of long EV road trips.
For others who'd like to go green(ish) there really is only fuel cell cars left.

VW to invest $800M into Tennessee EV Factory
Electric vehicle production at the Tennessee site will begin in 2022. However, Volkswagen of America says it will offer the first EV based on the MEB platform to customers in 2020.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:10:16 PM by Bungee »

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #997 on: April 01, 2019, 08:56:00 PM

EV's are inevitable. What is barely on the margins viable now will be clearly superior to ICE for most consumers faster than you think. Series hybrid (EV with an onboard generator, essentially) will cover everything else. Internal combustion will be relegated to specialized applications in a generation.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #998 on: April 03, 2019, 05:43:30 AM

If the cost can come down significantly, I'm all about an EV. The city has put in a few chargers, but where I want to see them is in the parking garages and lots by the venues at the fringes of our travel circle (the distance we're willing to drive to see a concert/event). Also a solid lot up in maybe Old Forge as a springboard for the Adirondacks and ideally all state and federal parks. Charging time is build into time needed to attend the event/go hiking/etc. Anyway, the infrastructure outside metros needs some help (NYS is helping some, but I don't see parking lot owners ever budging, since most garages are antedeluvian horrors).

That said, I will keep the FJ for winter driving as long as the frame holds together. And then probably buy another one for winter driving.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: April 04, 2019, 06:36:54 AM

EV's are inevitable. What is barely on the margins viable now will be clearly superior to ICE for most consumers faster than you think. Series hybrid (EV with an onboard generator, essentially) will cover everything else. Internal combustion will be relegated to specialized applications in a generation.

--Dave
I'm looking at a partial plug-in for my next car. But I'm a homeowner with a garage so I can just clean out a bay and park inside. Moving an outlet to be positioned right, even if it's a utility line for a 220v charging station? Not a big deal.

But if I lived in an apartment?

Same with an electric vehicle. Updating a home to charge overnight is pretty easy. But a lot of potential buyers for high mileage vehicles don't own a home, and I'd be shocked if there were even a dozen apartment complexes in Houston that offer significant number of parking spots that can charge a car. That's gonna be a problem -- until there's sufficient penetration by EVs and partial plug in hybrids, people won't build the infrastructure. Without the infrastructure, a large number of potential buyers won't buy.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1000 on: April 04, 2019, 11:41:46 AM

Not interested in EV but am watching the goings-on.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1001 on: April 05, 2019, 09:05:23 AM

I got a 10 year old prius. I've put 145k on it, and it's been reliable, cheap to operate, and odds are my next car will be another. I'm looking at the partial plugin, but...not sure the premium cost is worth it. Then again, I'm hoping to get another 50 or 60k out of this one, so there's time for things to change. My biggest complaint is "I bought it a year too early for bluetooth audio", so....not worth replacing a car because I have to use a wire to listen to Pandora, like some sort of caveman.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1002 on: April 05, 2019, 01:32:26 PM

I've read posts from garage-less Tesla users on reddit saying that they run an extension cord across the sidewalk to their street-parked car.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sounds kinda insane IMO, but those people are already out there creating demand for better public charging infrastructure.  The Whole Foods by my house has reserved parking spots for electric cars (with chargers) -- if you don't have a long commute, I bet you could keep your battery topped up just by doing your shopping at Whole Foods every day (and of course the cost of the power is negligible compared to the extra amount of money you're spending at the store, so it's win-win as far as they're concerned).  It's a heck of a lot easier to set an EV charger up than it is to set up a fuel pump, so I expect there's going to be a tipping point where every office, hotel, and paid parking garage decides that it costs more to not have them than to have them, and suddenly they're just everywhere.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: April 05, 2019, 01:58:44 PM

I've read posts from garage-less Tesla users on reddit saying that they run an extension cord across the sidewalk to their street-parked car.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sounds kinda insane IMO, but those people are already out there creating demand for better public charging infrastructure.  The Whole Foods by my house has reserved parking spots for electric cars (with chargers) -- if you don't have a long commute, I bet you could keep your battery topped up just by doing your shopping at Whole Foods every day (and of course the cost of the power is negligible compared to the extra amount of money you're spending at the store, so it's win-win as far as they're concerned).  It's a heck of a lot easier to set an EV charger up than it is to set up a fuel pump, so I expect there's going to be a tipping point where every office, hotel, and paid parking garage decides that it costs more to not have them than to have them, and suddenly they're just everywhere.

People should just roof over their parking lots, slap some solar panels on top, and put in charging stations. Swipe a credit card, pay whatever. The rest gets sold to the grid. 

I'm from Houston -- shaded parking would be *delightful*.
Drubear
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: April 08, 2019, 08:12:57 AM

And it's not just the granola crowd on the left and right coasts: my local Meijer (MI based super store sorta kinda competing in the Walmart space) has EV stations in the parking lot. Granted it's out here in Chicago collar suburbia, but it's moving to be a lot more widespread.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1005 on: April 08, 2019, 03:24:00 PM

I got a 10 year old prius. I've put 145k on it, and it's been reliable, cheap to operate, and odds are my next car will be another. I'm looking at the partial plugin, but...not sure the premium cost is worth it. Then again, I'm hoping to get another 50 or 60k out of this one, so there's time for things to change. My biggest complaint is "I bought it a year too early for bluetooth audio", so....not worth replacing a car because I have to use a wire to listen to Pandora, like some sort of caveman.

Not sure if you're trying to sell me on it or not. Ohhhhh, I see.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: June 23, 2019, 02:26:08 AM

VW had a little "unveil" for their EV strategy in the US. They'll get the ID Crozz first.
https://t.co/UFfx9PsuFo?amp=1

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: November 03, 2019, 06:45:32 PM

Not related to EVs, but I picked up a new car yesterday:

2020 Veloster N w/Performance Package.  I test drove it on a whim since my local dealer actually had two in stock, and the thing is just a complete carnival ride.  From the weird seemingly Gundam-inspired looks, funky color and hilarious exhaust (it does that anti-lag pop/crackle when you let off the gas) to the very strong performance, I just love this thing.  It didn't hurt that it was being offered at the right price.

The only downside is that I can't help but think I'm probably annoying everyone around me with the exhaust shenanigans, but it's something you can turn off if you just want it to be a quiet little commuter - there's no fun in that though.

I was looking at Mustangs (especially since '19s had a LOT of cash on the hood locally) and similar stuff since Ford decided to throw in the towel on their hot hatch offerings, but this is way more interesting/weird than those were.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:15:49 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: November 04, 2019, 01:10:40 AM

2020 Veloster N w/Performance Package. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaV8Cy_tcEU&t=207s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs0hzzTWjo

According to them (and I do trust those funky Canucks) it's the best and most funnest thing ever.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1009 on: November 04, 2019, 03:01:33 AM

2020 Veloster N w/Performance Package. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaV8Cy_tcEU&t=207s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs0hzzTWjo

According to them (and I do trust those funky Canucks) it's the best and most funnest thing ever.

Awesome! Someone else who has discovered The Straight Pipes. I'm not even much of a car fan, but I paid them on Patreon for a while because their videos are so much fun.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1010 on: November 04, 2019, 05:14:36 AM

Ha!  I've been a fan of theirs for a while, back when they were still reviewing whatever anyone would let them drive.  Their production quality is up there with the best of them and I like the more casual approach they bring to the table.  Other channels I like are Regular Car Reviews, Doug DeMuro and SavageGeese when I want a more 'dry' take.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:17:54 AM by MisterNoisy »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1011 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:57 AM

From my experience across the country, to fit in with other veloster owners you need to put a fish emblem on the back, and drive like a cock.

Please don't do that.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: November 04, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

From my experience across the country, to fit in with other veloster owners you need to put a fish emblem on the back, and drive like a cock.

Please don't do that.

He is Florida Man incarnate.

I think "driving like a cock" is part of his M.O.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1013 on: November 04, 2019, 12:23:57 PM

Only cocks can get to work on time.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: November 04, 2019, 02:58:40 PM

Please don't do that.

If digging into the boost from stoplights when possible and driving a bit faster than everyone else when the cops aren't looking is driving like a cock, then guilty as charged.  No fish emblems, tho.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Buying a new car, need some advice  
Jump to: