Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 05:28:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday Sale 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Holiday Sale  (Read 70715 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #175 on: December 25, 2010, 07:53:22 PM

Hey Bhodi, what are the best X games? I'm never going to play all of them.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing X3: Reunion through the XTended mod a few years ago, and that was my favorite experience with the franchise.  X3: Terran Conflict is mostly a souped up XTended though so it's probably even better, but my experience with it is more limited due to not having as much spare time as I had in a previous life.  Either way, you should definitely look into getting some of Cycrow and others' mods.  The NPC Bailing Addon, Advanced Jumpdrive and Salvage Claim Software are pretty damned essential.  The following link goes directly to a community script & mod download library: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #176 on: December 25, 2010, 09:16:49 PM

Hey Bhodi, what are the best X games? I'm never going to play all of them.
The only one you want is Terran Conflict. That version, like mount & blade warband, basically encompass and 'overwrite' the others. It's everything the others are and more, including a UI overhaul that makes the game playable. Just a warning, it's hard to get into, but very rewarding once you do. It's pretty complex and not very newbie friendly at all. I still really enjoyed it, but I realize that it's not for everybody - if you do get it, get some of the community walkthroughs to explain how to do stuff, or be vocal in the thread.

Xtended 1.0 was recently released and by all accounts is awesome (I haven't tried it yet) but it also makes the game significantly more tedious for new games / low levels, as the start is significantly harder - no repair laser, etc. It's definitely more fun in the later game, but it punishes you if you don't already know the ropes - thus the main game is probably better for new players. If you do it get, browse the thread here, I explained a lot of the process on how to do stuff. I am also on-hand to explain everything. If something seems tedious or stupid, chances are there's a better non-intuitive way of going about and solving the problem.

I think for $7 it's a terrific game.

The BF2 cd-key issue is known and will be fixed shortly. This isn't the first game that has been surprised at the number of purchases and has run out of cd-keys or had their auth servers overloaded. Please have patience :/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 09:23:01 PM by bhodi »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #177 on: December 25, 2010, 09:30:13 PM

I'm left with not really thinking I'll get into it, but I want to try it before I gift it.

Feels like a better buy than Splinter Cell Conviction @ $15 or any of the other deals today.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 25, 2010, 09:40:13 PM

My loot from this sale so far:

Super Meat Boy
DeathSpank
And the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands.

I held my finger on the trigger for ME2 because I heard the announcement for ME3, and decided ME2 should be on sale soonish for 5€ like ME1.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: December 26, 2010, 06:50:27 AM

It sucks that I won't get an extra copy of X:3 Terran Conflict when I buy the superbox. But I still need to waste the extra £6 instead of buying all the other games individually just to get the stuff that only comes with the Superbox :-(
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #180 on: December 26, 2010, 08:52:21 AM

It sucks that I won't get an extra copy of X:3 Terran Conflict when I buy the superbox. But I still need to waste the extra £6 instead of buying all the other games individually just to get the stuff that only comes with the Superbox :-(
There is nothing in the superbox that you want other than TC. That's my whole point.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 26, 2010, 10:06:28 AM

Sunday Dec 26th
Today is just another chance at some of the titles through the sale at the same price they were offered before. The list is Borderlands, Battlefield BC2, Assassin's Creed 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Dead Rising 2, Wings of Prey, Darksiders, Fear/Fear2, Call of Duty: MW2, Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2, The Witcher, Super Meat Boy
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #182 on: December 26, 2010, 10:15:11 AM

I didn't know they did this before the final day (Jan 2nd) what does this mean? For sure we wont see these specific deals again? There will be more new deals on 27-30 and who knows what on 31st and 1st? Another best sellers sale on Jan 2nd.

I was looking really hard at Fear Pack and Darksiders earlier in the sale but I'm already down to about $40 left in my budget....  fuuuuuuuuuuuuu
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:18:57 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #183 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51:32 AM

So Battlefield 2 doesn't work. Gives a "Your CD-Key is invalid" error when you try to go online. Sent a mesaage to support suggesting that they fix it and don't fuck me around sending me back and forth to EA (who is sending people back to steam) or I'll initiate 4 chargebacks for the 4 copied I purchased. I did say I'd give them a reasonable amount of time, given the time of year. Wheeee!
 Ohhhhh, I see.

Ive heard of steam suspending accounts doing charge backs. Be careful.

Thanks. If they did that, I'd likely chargeback a hell of a lot more, though (15 purchases or so in the last month). Still, I don't actually want to chargeback anything. I just want the products they sold me to, you know, work. And not be shuffled back and forth between Valve and EA with both happily taking a split of my money and none of the responsibility. I figure the seller has an obligation to sell a working product and stand behind their stock. You know, like any other retailer.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:57:32 AM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 26, 2010, 11:33:28 AM

Snapped up the Witcher in today's sale -- really glad it showed up again. Considered Assassin's Creed 2, but, alas; DRM. Snagged ME2 in a previous sale, and debated getting Dragon Age: Ultimate yesterday, as well as Batman, but decided I'd might as well wait on them given I'd have no time to play them before they'd go on sale next time.

Thankfully, Christmas was kind to me so I might be able to snag a bunch more titles this year, if I can convince myself I'd have time to play them.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 26, 2010, 12:09:21 PM

Thank you Jesus for second chances. I totally missed the Witcher the first time around.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 26, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

Also bought The Witcher this time around.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:54 PM

I keep looking at the Unreal pack for 14 bucks. I have all of them on disk except for Unreal 3 Black. Has anyone got an opinion on it?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 26, 2010, 10:38:48 PM

Grabbed Darksiders this time round. No that I will be able to squeeze it into my gaming schedule before 2015.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 27, 2010, 12:07:30 AM

I keep looking at the Unreal pack for 14 bucks. I have all of them on disk except for Unreal 3 Black. Has anyone got an opinion on it?

UT3 isn't bad, just vaguely uninteresting when compared to other contemporary shooters.  If you like your man-shooters fast and without leveling, and you don't want go all old-school graphics with Nexuiz or Quake Live, UT3 is your game.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #190 on: December 27, 2010, 05:29:34 AM

Yeah, UT3 isn't super-amazing, but it's a solid Unreal entry. The characters all look very Gears of War BroSpaceMarine though.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 27, 2010, 06:11:06 AM

LFD2, Sam and Max Season 3, Tropica 3 (thanks to F13 Blood Bowl League Season 2!), The Secret of Monkey Island I and II, Mass Effect II as a gift.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 27, 2010, 07:18:53 AM

Witcher?  Yes please.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #193 on: December 27, 2010, 09:01:11 AM

I picked up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Aliens Vs Predator. For a total of $12.75
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #194 on: December 27, 2010, 10:33:33 AM

Nothing grabs me at all for today's sale. I'm pissed NWN2 Plat came out for $10 after I bought NWN2 Gold. Blech.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 27, 2010, 10:45:53 AM

Monday Dec 27th
Star Wars KOTOR - 75% off = $2.49
Victoria/Victoria 2 - 70% off ($3 for Victoria, $12 for Victoria 2)
Hawx 2 - 33% off = $33.49
Lost Planet 2 - 50% off = $19.99, 60% off = $15.99 if you own Lost Planet Extreme or Colonies Edition
Mirror's Edge - 75% off = $4.99
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum - 50% off = $9.99
Street Fighter 4 - 50% off = $14.99
EvE Incursion - 75% off = $4.99
Cities XL 2011 - 50% off = $19.99
Machinarium - 85% off = $2.99
Killing Floor Complete Pack - 75% off = $6.95
Serious Sam HD - 90% off = $3.99
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #196 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:24 AM

Yeah, I have to weigh each day's sales by how much I'm likely to play them.  I'd love to pick up NWN2, but it is doubtful I'd play it.  $10 is better off in my pocket, I suppose.  
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #197 on: December 27, 2010, 10:52:23 AM

For Bhodi or whomever, is Mechinarium any good? Also is it dark and twisted or just sad and lonely rusty robots in terms of setting? Debating it as a gift purchase.

Nothing grabs me at all for today's sale. I'm pissed NWN2 Plat came out for $10 after I bought NWN2 Gold. Blech.

Today is horrible priced. Street Fighter should be 85% off, NWN2 should have made sure to come in under $10 (also why did they not do a more money off if you own xyz like every other game has been doing?) it just doesn't feel as if it stacks up to the other $10 deals we've been seeing. Why would EVE cost money for a free 30 days on a new account?  Cities XL 2011? wtf? Also I've never heard a budget trailer narrator voice guy until I clicked onto Cities XL 2011's page. Mirror's Edge is always on sale, its the Ashe of steam sale's for those who play League. Also I thought that game was pretty bland.

I really want Lost Planet but I can wait for it to cost less.

I'm going to gift Serious Sam and I really wish I hadn't gifted the Lara Croft game from yesterday's deals to the same person because Serious Sam is a more suitable co-op game for the giftee.  Tempted to pick it up for myself but don't think I will.

I bought FEAR over Darksiders with 4 minutes to go on yesterday's deals, I've been regretting it since. Stupid lack of money forcing me to make hard decisions.

-William Gibson
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #198 on: December 27, 2010, 10:59:00 AM

For Bhodi or whomever, is Mechinarium any good? Also is it dark and twisted or just sad and lonely rusty robots in terms of setting? Debating it as a gift purchase.
Machinarium is not dark and twisted, in fact it's a pretty light hearted story of you getting revenge on bully robots via a point-and-click adventure/puzzle flash interface. Steam says it took me about 5 hours to beat.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 27, 2010, 01:26:40 PM

Not only is it great its 3 fucking dollars.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #200 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:29 PM

70% off Victoria 2 is pretty damn good, imo.  I know the game isn't for everybody, but I've enjoyed it quite a bit.  Its complex as hell, yet you can also get away with letting the AI manage almost everything, and still be ok.  So it gives you a wide range of play options.  Last 2 patches have helped smooth out the game quite a bit, and another one is coming down the pipe.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #201 on: December 27, 2010, 03:21:39 PM

Still nothing. Whoooo.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: December 27, 2010, 03:44:25 PM

Today is horrible priced.

Agreed, was nice to have a day where I don't have to convince myself to not spend any money I don't have.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #203 on: December 27, 2010, 04:20:27 PM

I picked up NWN2 for $10. I never played the last expansion and I really, really enjoyed that whole '(re)build your own castle' bit and I'd like to re-play it.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 27, 2010, 04:44:52 PM

Picked up Batman:  AA and Fallout Las Vegas.  Bats for like $15 and FLV for $37.   DAMN U STEAM!

Having a lot of fun with FLV, a few glitches here and there, but easily ignored thanks to the fun.  Played 9hrs of it yesterday.  Sometimes it's damn nice to be single and snowed in!

Steam single-handedly has saved PC gaming for me.   
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #205 on: December 27, 2010, 05:14:03 PM

Heh. I screwed myself on Serious Sam 2. I saw it on GOD for $3 the other day so I bought it. Later I realised that it wasn't the HD remake, so I thought "oh well, fuck it" and bought that off Steam for $5. Today of course, it's bundled with the first one and the originals for $3. Ah well, it's all pocket change, so I can't get too upset.

I might buy the combo pack for my wife. Considering buying KOTOR so I can put the discs away. Not that I'm likely to play it anytime soon ever again. hmmm. Seems like I'm just looking at buying things in order to spend money at this point...

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #206 on: December 27, 2010, 07:24:48 PM

I picked Bad Company 2 for the multiplayer & King's Arthur for curiosity sake. I think I got my money's worth. I saw Monkey Island Special Ed. bundle yesterday but decided I didn't like the new art and adventure games replay are probably not very exciting. Still wondering why Alpha Protocol is not available for S.E Asia region though. Made no sense, I would've liked to buy it for less than $20. Bugs and all that. So curious how bad/good this original IP from Obsidian is.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 27, 2010, 08:17:06 PM

Playing through a bit of Serious Sam for like the millionth time.  Jesus, that game is still awesome.   I still get the giggles at the beginning of Sand Canyon and the kamikaze rush of a hundred headless bombers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ag4emnhJk
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 27, 2010, 08:33:39 PM

Agree entirely, that game has always brightened up a LAN day. Buying the HD versions for that price was a no-brainer.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 28, 2010, 04:23:17 AM

Anyone know how Steam delivers the 30 day Eve time?

Is it just a 30 day code I can use on an existing account?

/edit

No it isnt :-(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:49:25 AM by 5150 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Holiday Sale  
Jump to: